Test your Formula 1 knowledge

Moderators: Ed, jacfan, lemon_martini2

jacfan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

quick quiz

Post by jacfan » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:29 pm

Just for fun... just post your answer.

In a contest, four fruits (an apple, a banana, an orange, and a pear) have been placed in four closed boxes (one fruit per box). People may guess which fruit is in which box. 123 people participate in the contest. When the boxes are opened, it turns out that 43 people have guessed none of the fruits correctly, 39 people have guessed one fruit correctly, and 31 people have guessed two fruits correctly.

How many people have guessed three fruits correctly, and how many people have guessed four fruits correctly?
Holy crap on a cracker! Image
Number one idiot for 2007!!!!!
2008 Round of France winner!!! Wooooooohoooo!!!!!!
2010 Round of Britian winner!!!!!!

gkaytaz
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Re: quick quiz

Post by gkaytaz » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:33 pm

jacfan wrote:Just for fun... just post your answer.

In a contest, four fruits (an apple, a banana, an orange, and a pear) have been placed in four closed boxes (one fruit per box). People may guess which fruit is in which box. 123 people participate in the contest. When the boxes are opened, it turns out that 43 people have guessed none of the fruits correctly, 39 people have guessed one fruit correctly, and 31 people have guessed two fruits correctly.

How many people have guessed three fruits correctly, and how many people have guessed four fruits correctly?
I'd say 10 people guessed all four correct.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

jacfan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jacfan » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:27 pm

But how many guessed three fruits correctly.

gkaytaz
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by gkaytaz » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:38 pm

jacfan wrote:But how many guessed three fruits correctly.
The remaining number of people of course :)
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

Southernman
2004 Top 10
2004 Top 10

Post by Southernman » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:38 pm

I'll guess that 8 got three fruits right and 2 got all four right.

<T-K>
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by <T-K> » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:19 pm

Its not possible to tell :?

Unless of course this is a trick question, and there is no actual correct answer, just one that makes you feel silly :lol:

gkaytaz
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by gkaytaz » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:27 pm

<T-K> wrote:Its not possible to tell :?

Unless of course this is a trick question, and there is no actual correct answer, just one that makes you feel silly :lol:
Not sure if you'd call it a trick but there is a catch in the question. I must admit I tried to find some sort of math sequence at first but then I realized that there is a simple logic behind it. If there are 4 fruits and 4 boxes, put 1 into each, it is not possible for someone to guess only three correct. If three are correct that means the fourth one has to be correct as well. Therefore there'll be only people left guessing all four correct.

Right, jacfan? Anyone?

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:37 pm

10 each :D

If you read the question, it doesn't say only three correctly, it says three correctly, hence 10 people guessed three correctly and the same 10 guessed the four correctly.

But like you gkaytaz I started by thinking it is some sort of pattern but it couldn't be.

Lets see what jacfan says!

gkaytaz
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by gkaytaz » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:04 pm

Ed wrote:10 each :D

If you read the question, it doesn't say only three correctly, it says three correctly, hence 10 people guessed three correctly and the same 10 guessed the four correctly.

But like you gkaytaz I started by thinking it is some sort of pattern but it couldn't be.

Interesting approach. I have one question though... According to your deduction the ones that have four correct guesses would have to be included into the two-correct category as double, cuz they will have guessed any two pairs correctly. Similar logic dictates that they will have to be included into the one-correct group four times... Makes it quite complicated :?

Jac?

jacfan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jacfan » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:11 pm

gkaytaz wrote:

Not sure if you'd call it a trick but there is a catch in the question. I must admit I tried to find some sort of math sequence at first but then I realized that there is a simple logic behind it. If there are 4 fruits and 4 boxes, put 1 into each, it is not possible for someone to guess only three correct. If three are correct that means the fourth one has to be correct as well. Therefore there'll be only people left guessing all four correct.

Right, jacfan? Anyone?
Absoutely correct Gkay. If you have guessed three correctly then it is impossible for the fourth one to be wrong. Gkay head to the bar for free drinks.

gkaytaz
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by gkaytaz » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:14 pm

jacfan wrote:
gkaytaz wrote:

Right, jacfan? Anyone?
Absoutely correct Gkay. If you have guessed three correctly then it is impossible for the fourth one to be wrong. Gkay head to the bar for free drinks.
:woohoo: :horn: :thankyou:

jacfan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jacfan » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:15 pm

gkaytaz wrote:

Interesting approach. I have one question though... According to your deduction the ones that have four correct guesses would have to be included into the two-correct category as double, cuz they will have guessed any two pairs correctly. Similar logic dictates that they will have to be included into the one-correct group four times... Makes it quite complicated :?

Jac?
No. I think you are over complicating it.

jacfan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jacfan » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:16 pm

No one can guess only three correctly. If you have three out of four right then the fourth has to be right also.

gkaytaz
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by gkaytaz » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:19 pm

jacfan wrote:

No one can guess only three correctly. If you have three out of four right then the fourth has to be right also.
I wish that'd work for 8 n Pole the same way :mrgreen:

jacfan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jacfan » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:27 pm

Yes that would be good wouldn't it. It would if it was only out of 8 and you got 7 right. :maths: :bang: :bang: