BAHRAIN-STORM IN THE DESERT?

All about V8 Supercars Racing

Moderators: Ed, Julian Mayo

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:08 pm

Ed wrote:It is certainly a reason. Don't know if it is the primary reason!

I am sure the organisers would like to expand the series beyond Australia and New Zealand and have a few races in Asia and a couple in Europe. Just like Touring cars are doing but the other way!

There might also be the idea of a local V8 Supercars in the Middle East.

What do you think the real reason is though :wink:
Out of respect for your site, I will not answer that......however a quick survey of fans would reveal that some question the decision making of "he who be Bernie" 8)
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:20 pm

The top ten on the grid:
Tander
Bright
R Kelly
T Kelly
Courtney
S Richards
Murphy
Whincup
Lowndes
Skaife
Less than .22 sec seperates them
Expect some wide commodores in front of Lowndes
Had Walkinshaw not played games with driver pairings for the enduros, Tander would be looking pretty good for the title

<T-K>
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by <T-K> » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:54 am

Judging by the posts in this thread I am guessing you wouldnt take too kindly to the idea of the V8s becoming a world series :?:

Southernman
2004 Top 10
2004 Top 10

Post by Southernman » Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:10 am

I don't think V8's would work outside of Australia and New Zealand. The same way Nascar fits in with the North American psyche.

The only reason that I can see them wanting to race in Bahrain is for marketing reasons. I also don't think that even a shortened F1 circuit is the right track for V8's.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:13 am

<T-K> wrote:Judging by the posts in this thread I am guessing you wouldnt take too kindly to the idea of the V8s becoming a world series :?:
I would love to see it become a world series, with 48 meetings a year, rotating drivers within the team, and an enty list of fifty five. Anything less is a joke 8)

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:15 am

Southernman wrote:I don't think V8's would work outside of Australia and New Zealand. The same way Nascar fits in with the North American psyche.

The only reason that I can see them wanting to race in Bahrain is for marketing reasons. I also don't think that even a shortened F1 circuit is the right track for V8's.
As long as it is a two horse race between GM and Ford using the australasian product it cannot appeal to a much wider market.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:45 am

The racing was excellent ! Brighty tipped out Tander to take out the round, Rick Kelly managed to salvage a heap of points after a prang, to retain a narrow lead over Lowndes going into the final round.
Seeing the V8s on this track was an eyeopener.
Tracks like Eastern Creek, Winton etc, suffer badly by comparison (for this class of the sport !!)
As several motor - racing scribes, including "The Rev. Limiter " (AutoAction) have said, a long straight leading into a hairpin enlivens the racing.
While most of the crowd knew each other on a first name basis, the on track action was a delight to behold.
The suicidal marshall running out onto the main straight to retrieve a piece of car, then slipping over as he turned was awe-inspiring.
Can we have him at all rounds please?
And so to the final round, and a classic confrontation between Lowndes and Rick Kelly.