Pukekohe confirmed.

All about V8 Supercars Racing

Moderators: Ed, Julian Mayo

Southernman
2004 Top 10
2004 Top 10

Pukekohe confirmed.

Post by Southernman » Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:23 pm

Pukekohe has been confirmed as the venue for the 2006 and 2007 seasons. Part of the conditions is that they find a suitable venue after that.

Tony Cochrane has said that while Pukekohe is not up to scratch they are prepared to race their for the fans. Apparently pressure has also been put on Avesco by leading Kiwi drivers and teams to continue in NZ.

I believe that the sponsors had something to do with the decision as well.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Re: Pukekohe confirmed.

Post by Julian Mayo » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:28 pm

Southernman wrote:Pukekohe has been confirmed as the venue for the 2006 and 2007 seasons. Part of the conditions is that they find a suitable venue after that.

Tony Cochrane has said that while Pukekohe is not up to scratch they are prepared to race their for the fans. Apparently pressure has also been put on Avesco by leading Kiwi drivers and teams to continue in NZ.

I believe that the sponsors had something to do with the decision as well.
Exxxxxcellent news Sthnman.!!!!
I read a rumour to that effect in the Un Zud Herald a couple of days ago, written by Brian (?) someone.
Thanks Mate, it was looking a bit dicey there for a while
Well Done Kiwi Correspondent. ED, I assume the cheque will be in the mail to him. :lol:
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

Southernman
2004 Top 10
2004 Top 10

Post by Southernman » Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:36 pm

I've heard mixed comments about how close the decision was. In one report Pukekohe was always going get the race. In another report, V8's were lost to NZ until last minute negotiations.

The most likely circuit from 2008 will be the new Hampton Downs circuit.
This circuit is going through the dreaded resource consent stage at the moment. Motorsport New Zealand is hoping that this circuit can in a few years time host a round of the new A1 Grandprix.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:40 pm

Southernman wrote:I've heard mixed comments about how close the decision was. In one report Pukekohe was always going get the race. In another report, V8's were lost to NZ until last minute negotiations.

The most likely circuit from 2008 will be the new Hampton Downs circuit.
This circuit is going through the dreaded resource consent stage at the moment. Motorsport New Zealand is hoping that this circuit can in a few years time host a round of the new A1 Grandprix.
Thanks Sthnman.
I heard that it was really touch and go, and pressure from Stone Bros,Murphy, and a few veiled threats won the day.
Where is Hampton Downs ????

Southernman
2004 Top 10
2004 Top 10

Post by Southernman » Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:46 pm

Hampton Downs is at Meremere between Auckland and Hamilton. They have got a website up with what the track looks like.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:16 pm

Southernman wrote:Hampton Downs is at Meremere between Auckland and Hamilton. They have got a website up with what the track looks like.
Is that just south of the Bombay Hills, south of Auckland? Used to be a coalmine there ?

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:47 pm

Southernman wrote:Hampton Downs is at Meremere between Auckland and Hamilton. They have got a website up with what the track looks like.
Finally found the web site under "hampton downs motorsport park". It looks like a great track, and most importantly has about 5 overtaking spots. I like the idea of a hill in the main straight , along with the rest of the undulations. For v8s, it looks like it will be tough on brakes, but tyre wear should be even.
At over 3kms it is a decent length, and would really suit a couple of 250km races. Lets hope the consent, due this month, is granted. :lol: