SANDOWN AND BATHURST RUMOURS

All about V8 Supercars Racing

Moderators: Ed, Julian Mayo

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

SANDOWN AND BATHURST RUMOURS

Post by Julian Mayo » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:21 am

Every year about now, the media waves become abuzz with rumours about driver pairings for Bathurst. These range from the sublime to the ridiculous.
your contributions, historical and current, are welcome on anything to do with the enduros.

The first big one for this year is that Alex Tagliani and Marcus Marshall will drive one of the Gore WPS falcons at both enduros.
Now this fills me with dread.
Firstly, Marcus was the cause of another competitor having a life threatening crash in the Porsche Cup at Sandown, and another massive shunt at Bathurst. The guy seems to have a problem seeing other cars in his mirrors. Do that at Bathurst in V8s and it is going to result in a "BIG ONE."
Secondly, Alex. The guy may be a top notch driver, but The Mountain has shown disdain for anyone trying to learn how to drive a V8 there. He has to learn to master a "back to front gearbox" on the wrong side, while sitting on the "wrong side" of the car on one of, if not the most unforgiving tracks in the world. Someone had best tell him not to look left coming over Skyline, or he will be pitting for a change of underwear. And that is no reflection on the man's courage.

Perhaps I should organize a competition based around "The biggest names with the slowest times" from past years :lol:

Perhaps Ed, or Rah could use their tehnical expertise to post a pic from Skyline, and the approach, followed by the entry into the esses ? Then Guys like Mfer would have some idea of what "newchums" face. Ed? Rah?
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

rah
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by rah » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:22 pm

Found these on the V8 Supercars website. Will look for more that show the true look of the track. These some hair raising pics for now. The website is http://www.v8supercar.com.au

Ok, Lewis may win the WDC in 07, but Sato will beat him in 08.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:15 pm

Thanks RAH... the Spanish Dancer comes up well in photos !!!!!

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:17 pm

The website is the official site for this forum. It can be found in the Lounge.sport.v8 supercars :lol:

Kapel
2004 Champ
2004 Champ

Post by Kapel » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:18 pm

V8 pit babes look better than our F1 counterparts :wink: :lol:
An F1 Idiot!!!

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:47 pm

Kapel wrote:V8 pit babes look better than our F1 counterparts :wink: :lol:
Naturally! :shock:

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:12 pm

Here is good site that details every corner (Interactive Tour of Mount Panaorma)

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:35 pm

Thanks Ed, unfortunately photos don't give a true representation of the steepness of the gradients, uphill and down. Nor does television. It takes a fit person to walk the track on a cool day. :shock:

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:19 am

The latest goss is that Alain Menu will join the Orrcon team and partner Matt Halliday. Alain has been to The Mountain several times, if memory serves me correctly he was getting towards competitive times by the end of his last outing here. He is a 2 times British touring Car champ, and was runner-up 3 times. Matt has raced at the Mountain a few times in a variety of machinery. The young N-Zedder is a capable pilot.
Another TBC is that the two Pauls, Morris and "The Rat" will pair up, from their respective teams.No word on which car, and who will drive the other, as yet.
And yet another tbc is that John Cleland will be coming out from the UK for another attempt, this time with the BOC team. He will share a car with Dale Brede, while Bowe and Jones will mount their usual combined challeng. John is one of the very few oversea pilots who has managed to get on the pace at Mount Panorama.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:43 am

According to RPM, James Courtney will pair with Jim Richards in a Holden Racing Team Commodore for the Enduros, with Saife and T Kelly sharing the other car. I would imagine this will depend on the outcome of Oran Park.
There is also talk that a certain Jose Fernandez will team up with Damon White. I assume this is the Jose Fernandez of North American racing fame
Along with Alain Menu's appearance, Yvan Muller is rumoured to be paired up with Adam Macrow in a Ford. Yvan has done well in the Brirish Touring car series over the years, and has raced at Bathurst before.
Another TBC is David Brabham with Cameron McClean, I think this is highly likely.
I suspect that some of these will depend on driver test results.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:51 pm

As reported, Paul Morris and "The Rat will team together in Morris"car for the endrus...the latest gossip has John Faulkner coming out of retirement and teaming with Alan Gurr in the second car
The Rat and Morris are going to have an adjustable seat, as the Rat is a tad short. When Radisich was driving for DJR, they rigged one up. The RAt was coming into the pits and slid the seat back to save time on the driver change. Trouble was, he then couldn't reach the pedals and nearly wiped out half the pit crew.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:45 am

In case anyone's wondering what the pairings for the two Team Australia(Walker Racing)/WPS Racing V8 Supercars for the Bathurst 1000 are, last week they announced that ChampCar drivers Alex Tagliani and Marcus Marshall will pair-off in one of the team's two Ford Falcons, while V8 Supercar drivers David Besnard and Craig Baird will drive the other Ford Falcon. Like I've said over in the ChampCar forum, best of luck to Tag and Marshall....they'll need lots of it. From everything I've read, seen and heard about Bathurst, it is a very challenging course, on par with (at least to me) Le Mans in terms of sheer endurance and difficulty.
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:56 am

Le Mans does not have ze mountain,eh 8)

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:06 pm

That's why I said it was as difficult as Le Mans. The closest thing they have to a mountain is that little ridge at the Dunlop bridge, but the Mulsanne straight is a bit similar to that long straight at Bathurst. Granted, it's not on a hill, but it is comparable.
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:34 pm

If you are coming to Indy, via Sydney, I would be more than happy to drive you around Bathurst, under the speed limit (parts of the track are normal roads on non race days). Bring a video camera :lol: