BATHURST

All about V8 Supercars Racing

Moderators: Ed, Julian Mayo

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:41 pm

rah wrote:Tags says he wants to eventually live in australia, he also expressed an interest in a full time drive of the V8's. This is all when he gets out of NA racing.
His wife, the lovely Bronte, is Australian :lol:
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

Southernman
2004 Top 10
2004 Top 10

Post by Southernman » Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:58 am

I'm not surprised that noboby was at fault in the Murphy Ambrose incident.

I was surprised that no action will be taken from when Murphy and Ambrose looked liked that they wanted to handbag each other.

I didn't realise how many anti Murphy people there were in this country. :!: It seems most ford supporters put the blame on Murph. :shock:

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:43 am

Southernman wrote:I'm not surprised that noboby was at fault in the Murphy Ambrose incident.

I was surprised that no action will be taken from when Murphy and Ambrose looked liked that they wanted to handbag each other.

I didn't realise how many anti Murphy people there were in this country. :!: It seems most ford supporters put the blame on Murph. :shock:

I think a lot of people would have been guided in their opinions by the old overtaking rule which stated that if a driver overtaking was past the "B" pillar of the other car, the other car had to make room. If not to the B pillar the overtaking driver had to concede the corner.
Murphy was clearly not up to the B pillar.
The current rule states that both drivers have to allow racing room.
In my personal opinion, and I believe I am unbiased, on that particular corner, if Ambrose had stayed wide he would have been on the marbles and into the outer barriers. Murphy had time to brake and concede the corner. But I was in neither car, and will never know.
There are other factors to consider as well.
By this stage of the race most of the track was coated with various fluids,
anyone who had not done a brake rotor change would have had very poor braking ability, the drivers are tired, the sun thru the trees can be hellish around the Cutting.
Clearly Ambrose thought he was in the right to walk up to Murphy "swinging his handbag" in that fashion.
Whereas, initially Murphy seemed to look a tad embarrassed by the carnage around him.
Some of the feedback I have had suggests that Murphy lost support because of his reaction when Ambrose reached him, and with his personal attack on Ambrose' character in the media later, rather than because of the actual racing incident.
I know a few people who used to be fans of Murphy, but now consider him a trifle too opinionated. Still no-one can please everyone.
As for the Stewards taking no action on the "handbag" swinging, I think they got that right, in allowing for the emotions of two very competitive drivers.
Indeed, I think Avesco should use the footage to promote V8Supercars.

Southernman
2004 Top 10
2004 Top 10

Post by Southernman » Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:48 am

My initial opinion of the incident was that Murphy was in the wrong. The camera angels I've seen were inconclusive. :shock:

I did not like his personal attack on Ambrose in the media. :evil:

I'm a firm believer that you praise in public and criticise in private. :wink:

Another comment he made that made me wonder what Murphy was up to was when he said something on the lines of Ambrose had more to lose so he should have giving way. :!:

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:58 am

One camera angle that has helped me to form a personal, and I mean personal, opinion was the in-car of Marcose Ambrose. As the car came to rest and he brought his hands down from his head (if only people would learn to get their hands off the steering wheel in road accidents, when a crash is inevitable) his expression was of utter disbelief that the accident had happened. He clearly thought(again, in my opinion) that he was going to be allowed racing room.
Strangely, for them, the media have gone quiet on Murphy's statements. Perhaps they feel that he has done enough damage to his own cause?

cmlean

Post by cmlean » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:24 pm

I saw it as two drivers going for the same patch of real estate. Both are hot heads and neither would get off the gas to make room for the other. Sounds like a racing incident to me.

It does seem strange that Ingall and Skaife were rapped over the knuckles for their incident at Eastern Creek but Ambrose and Murphy were not.................

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:45 pm

Ingall copped it for "drive a racecar in a threatening manner". Skaife copped it for being an idiot.
Ambrose n Murphy got away with it cos it it was at the end of the day on The Mountain, and they provided great publicity shots.
I will bet a penny to a pound stills/video from that incident feature next season 8)