Alternative fuels?

Want to chat about cars ? This is the place.

Moderator: Ed

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Alternative fuels?

Post by mlittle » Wed May 16, 2007 1:23 pm

With all the talk here in the States' about rising gas prices(the avg. nationally recently topped $3.10...... :shock: :shock: :shock: ), it got me to thinking, are alternative fuels, such as ethanol, biodiesels, etc. viable in the future, or are we too addicted to gasoline to care? Here are some examples of alternative fuels here in the U.S. that come to mind.......

~~ethanol(currently produced mainly from corn, although there's ongoing research into celluosic sources of ethanol(such as sugar cane, sawdust, switchgrass, etc)
~~liquified natural gas(which is used to power municipal vehicles from buses, cars, etc.)
~~biodiesels(made from agricultural products such as soybeans, rapeseed, and even recycled cooking oils)
~~compressed natural gas(several car companies, including Honda, are looking at CNG as a future fuel source)
~~fuel-cell vehicles(using technology currently in used on the shuttle, cars would run on fuel-cells that would produce electricity for a vehicle to run on and produce water as the byproduct)

Any thoughts? Any suggestions? Any opinions?
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Thu May 17, 2007 2:25 am

Yeah, I just payed $1:41 Aust per litre.......bring on high powered alternatives :evil:
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

rah
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by rah » Thu May 17, 2007 9:14 am

* You want to go with ethanol from sugar. Much more efficient and easier to produce. I know that the US is trying with corn, but Brazil has been using sugar for years.
* Bio-diesel is great but I doubt will ever be produced enough to fill demand.
*LPG is gaining in popularity, but there are fewer reserves of Gas than there is oil and it will eventually run out.
* In Aus they have found a tree thats sap can be turned into diesel.
* There are studies going on about an enzyme found in tomatoes that will decrease the costs of producing ethanol. Basically the enzyme is used to break down the cellulose walls in the fermentation process. If it works they will be able to produce ethanol from cheaper crops such as fast growing trees or even grasses.
* Fuel cells are great and have been around a long time.
* Electricity is still a great fuel source. Can cost as little as 12c to go 100km's in some vehicles.
* Hydrogen is another possible but there are many problems with it.
* There are two companies, one in Monaco, the other in Australia experimenting with compressed air.

Gasoline is a big addiction. In the US the average fuel economy from fleet vehicles in worse than a model T. This is because of SUV's. Needless to say this is a large CO2 addition as well.
Ok, Lewis may win the WDC in 07, but Sato will beat him in 08.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Thu May 17, 2007 11:19 am

Rah, electricy generation is a major problem, if it is from coal fired stations.
Personally I am leaning towards nuclear for Therapy.

rah
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by rah » Thu May 17, 2007 3:24 pm

Your right, but as you say: if it is from coal power plants. Plenty of other ways to get electricity.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Thu May 17, 2007 5:08 pm

rah wrote:Your right, but as you say: if it is from coal power plants. Plenty of other ways to get electricity.
yup

The dawgs on the treadmill, and the kids on the tandem do a mighty fine job runnung the old genny here.....mind you possums are getting harder n harder to find, and the kids are starting to mutter, but as I say....'"you wanna watch foxtel......Pedal" :lol:

rah
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by rah » Thu May 17, 2007 11:12 pm

Julian Mayo wrote:
rah wrote:Your right, but as you say: if it is from coal power plants. Plenty of other ways to get electricity.
yup

The dawgs on the treadmill, and the kids on the tandem do a mighty fine job runnung the old genny here.....mind you possums are getting harder n harder to find, and the kids are starting to mutter, but as I say....'"you wanna watch foxtel......Pedal" :lol:
Lol, I was thinking something more like sliver cells, but if that works go for it.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Fri May 18, 2007 1:34 am

rah wrote:
Julian Mayo wrote:
yup

Lol, I was thinking something more like sliver cells, but if that works go for it.[/quote

mention anything to do with silver or gold, the kids wil chuck her down a gear and the old jenny will take down that bloody intrusive satellite...........I believe I will get faster, and more constant linear acceleration from Therapy, if I go nuclear, photo-voltaic on the dawgs (ahem,) gold speckled midnight blue hard roofed cage should take care of the charge for the various in car, and personal equipment batteries........plus the solar /wind powered prop behind the cab should take care of your average parking cop.........if mounted correctly 8)

rah
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by rah » Fri May 18, 2007 10:26 am

Lol, nah sliver cells. Not silver cells.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Fri May 18, 2007 11:15 am

rah wrote:Lol, nah sliver cells. Not silver cells.
Doh!

jessicaportland
Go Kart Racer
Go Kart Racer

Post by jessicaportland » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:52 pm

Thanks for the info's very helpful indeed!