Emoticon art!!

Want to relax, share an experience or just have a friendly discussion. This is the place

Moderators: cmlean, Ed

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:00 pm

gkaytaz wrote:
Julian Mayo wrote:
gkaytaz wrote:
Oh, it's revenge then... Noble.
merely a comment. I, possibly because of my personal history, tend to take it personally when anyone links me to "kill"
Ok. Truce then.
No Probs. Just ignore those tiny sounds in the middle of the night, they will be in your imagination
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

gkaytaz
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by gkaytaz » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:06 pm

Julian Mayo wrote:
gkaytaz wrote:
Julian Mayo wrote:
merely a comment. I, possibly because of my personal history, tend to take it personally when anyone links me to "kill"
Ok. Truce then.
No Probs. Just ignore those tiny sounds in the middle of the night, they will be in your imagination
Sounds: check. Anything else I should be ignoring?
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:17 pm

gkaytaz wrote:
Julian Mayo wrote:
gkaytaz wrote:
Ok. Truce then.
Sounds: check. Anything else I should be ignoring?

I would advise not, however we are all masters of our own destiny

Tim
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tim » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:13 pm

Ok, let me clarify!

We don't encourage the excessive use of emoticons in posts. Every use of an emoticon can count as a hit on the webserver and that can cause major delays. In addition, too many of them can have a negative effect on the readability of the thread. Just imagine a few replies with the emoticons quoted!

Yes in most cases they are cached on your browser JayVee however as you may be aware there are some browsers (particularly a few older ones) that don't cache that well and a page that has 200 emoticons could result in up to 201 hit requests on the server (200 for the emoticons and 1 for the actual text). If each emoticon is 5K bytes in size then up to 1 Mbyte of data would be downloaded from the server each time the page is viewed. That is a lot of server resource for a single view.

If you want to create artforms from the emoticons, feel free to do so in a separate thread preferebaly in the Lounge area, otherwise as a general rule of thumb lets try to stick to around 10 emoticons in a post as an upper limit.

Now let me get back to finding a few emoticons to add and clean up a few spammer registrations and arrange all those prizes we have to send out and ..... it's all fun isn't it :wink:

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:18 pm

Tim wrote:Ok, let me clarify!

We don't encourage the excessive use of emoticons in posts. Every use of an emoticon can count as a hit on the webserver and that can cause major delays. In addition, too many of them can have a negative effect on the readability of the thread. Just imagine a few replies with the emoticons quoted!

Yes in most cases they are cached on your browser JayVee however as you may be aware there are some browsers (particularly a few older ones) that don't cache that well and a page that has 200 emoticons could result in up to 201 hit requests on the server (200 for the emoticons and 1 for the actual text). If each emoticon is 5K bytes in size then up to 1 Mbyte of data would be downloaded from the server each time the page is viewed. That is a lot of server resource for a single view.

If you want to create artforms from the emoticons, feel free to do so in a separate thread preferebaly in the Lounge area, otherwise as a general rule of thumb lets try to stick to around 10 emoticons in a post as an upper limit.

Now let me get back to finding a few emoticons to add and clean up a few spammer registrations and arrange all those prizes we have to send out and ..... it's all fun isn't it :wink:
:horn: :woohoo: :good: :light: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :cheers: :up:

Snowy
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by Snowy » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:54 pm

:bouncest: :bouncest: :bouncest: :bouncest: :bouncest: :bouncest: :bouncest: :bouncest: :bouncest: :bouncest: :bouncest: :bouncest: :bouncest: :bouncest: :bouncest: :bouncest: :bouncest: :bouncest:
:bounce: :bouncest: :bounce: :bounce: :bouncest: :bounce: :bounce: :bouncest: :bounce: :bounce: :bouncest: :bounce: :bounce: :bouncest: :bounce: :bounce: :bouncest: :bounce:

:bouncec: :bouncec: :bounce: :bouncec: :bouncec: :bounce: :bouncec: :bouncec: :bouncec: :bouncec: :bouncec: :bounce: :bouncec: :nap: :bouncec::bouncec: :bouncec: :bounce:

:bouncest: :bouncest: :bouncest: :bouncest: :bouncest: :bouncest: :bouncest: :bouncest: :bouncest: :bouncest: :bouncest: :bouncest: :bouncest: :bouncest: :bouncest: :bouncest: :bouncest: :bouncest:
Lewis Hamilton & Jenson Button World Champions :)

gkaytaz
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by gkaytaz » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:07 pm

Dream job :)
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:27 pm

Snowy wrote::bouncest: :bouncest: :bouncest: :bouncest: :bouncest: :bouncest: :bouncest: :bouncest: :bouncest: :bouncest: :bouncest: :bouncest: :bouncest: :bouncest: :bouncest: :bouncest: :bouncest: :bouncest:
:bounce: :bouncest: :bounce: :bounce: :bouncest: :bounce: :bounce: :bouncest: :bounce: :bounce: :bouncest: :bounce: :bounce: :bouncest: :bounce: :bounce: :bouncest: :bounce:

:bouncec: :bouncec: :bounce: :bouncec: :bouncec: :bounce: :bouncec: :bouncec: :bouncec: :bouncec: :bouncec: :bounce: :bouncec: :nap: :bouncec::bouncec: :bouncec: :bounce:

Thats when I have a quick nap. too :shock:

JayVee
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by JayVee » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:16 am

:oops: :oops: I forgot about those old browsers.

Fair comment!
I'm back and yes supporting Alonso "The Cute" in the Ferrari!

JayVee
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by JayVee » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:20 am

gkaytaz wrote: Not that I am encouraging it but maybe you should try 5*5. The S and the A would stick out better then.
For sure, that would be more than 1.5 times the resolution :D but then I would have to worry about scrolling :D

If I get some time I'll think of something :wink:
I'm back and yes supporting Alonso "The Cute" in the Ferrari!

gkaytaz
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by gkaytaz » Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:31 pm

JayVee wrote:
gkaytaz wrote: Not that I am encouraging it but maybe you should try 5*5. The S and the A would stick out better then.
For sure, that would be more than 1.5 times the resolution :D but then I would have to worry about scrolling :D

If I get some time I'll think of something :wink:
Smaller smilies would solve the scrolling problem. Maybe if you asked Ed nicely :wink:

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:45 pm

:no: leave our smilies alone :twisted:

gkaytaz
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by gkaytaz » Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:33 pm

Julian Mayo wrote::no: leave our smilies alone :twisted:
Okay lemme rephrase that: Smaller new smilies. We'll keep the old ones.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:10 am

gkaytaz wrote:
Julian Mayo wrote::no: leave our smilies alone :twisted:
Okay lemme rephrase that: Smaller new smilies. We'll keep the old ones.

mutter, mutter, ponder....................tbc :?