Hurricane Katrina

Want to relax, share an experience or just have a friendly discussion. This is the place

Moderators: cmlean, Ed

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:49 pm

Thanks, kapel. All of my family and relatives live in the Carolinas', so they weren't directly affected. I've got a few friends that live on the Mississippi Gulf Coast, but they're okay. Its' got to be the worst irony of all, kapel...New Orleans missed getting a direct hit from Katrina, but then all those levees broke, and...well, you get the idea. Of course, if you travel east, it looks like someone just took a gigantic slate-wiper to the Gulf Coast, I mean, that's what it looks like down there.
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

<T-K>
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by <T-K> » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:54 pm

mlittle wrote:Thanks, kapel. All of my family and relatives live in the Carolinas', so they weren't directly affected. I've got a few friends that live on the Mississippi Gulf Coast, but they're okay. Its' got to be the worst irony of all, kapel...New Orleans missed getting a direct hit from Katrina, but then all those levees broke, and...well, you get the idea. Of course, if you travel east, it looks like someone just took a gigantic slate-wiper to the Gulf Coast, I mean, that's what it looks like down there.
At least yr all ok....

although you should always try to look on the bright side.....

The city looks a lot like venice now....(minus the rescue helicopters), and they get lots of tourists

Kapel
2004 Champ
2004 Champ

Post by Kapel » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:58 pm

mlittle wrote:Thanks, kapel. All of my family and relatives live in the Carolinas', so they weren't directly affected. I've got a few friends that live on the Mississippi Gulf Coast, but they're okay. Its' got to be the worst irony of all, kapel...New Orleans missed getting a direct hit from Katrina, but then all those levees broke, and...well, you get the idea. Of course, if you travel east, it looks like someone just took a gigantic slate-wiper to the Gulf Coast, I mean, that's what it looks like down there.
Nice to know all is well with ur loved ones :)
An F1 Idiot!!!

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:02 pm

The city looks a lot like venice now....
No offense, T-K, but that ain't funny. Seriously, it ain't. :evil:

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:04 pm

I heard last night that the city is uninhabitable for the next three months!!! Apart from the serious dent in the economy, that is one hell of a lot of hardship for a hell of a lot of people :cry:
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

Kapel
2004 Champ
2004 Champ

Post by Kapel » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:08 pm

I hope the city lifts up again soon.
An F1 Idiot!!!

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:09 pm

At least the next three months, julian. What's sad is the complete(and I mean complete) breakdown in civil authority in New Orleans. I've heard people compare the ongoing disaster there to 9/11, but there's one big difference....after 9/11, they still had a functioning civil govt. in NYC. New Orleans, for all intent and purpose, is a city bordering on anarchy. Not chaos, anarchy.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:10 pm

Don't worry, kapel. New Orleans'll rise again. May take years, but they'll be back.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:13 pm

mlittle wrote:At least the next three months, julian. What's sad is the complete(and I mean complete) breakdown in civil authority in New Orleans. I've heard people compare the ongoing disaster there to 9/11, but there's one big difference....after 9/11, they still had a functioning civil govt. in NYC. New Orleans, for all intent and purpose, is a city bordering on anarchy. Not chaos, anarchy.
I heard there are "shoot on sight" orders :shock:

Kapel
2004 Champ
2004 Champ

Post by Kapel » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:18 pm

mlittle wrote:At least the next three months, julian. What's sad is the complete(and I mean complete) breakdown in civil authority in New Orleans. I've heard people compare the ongoing disaster there to 9/11, but there's one big difference....after 9/11, they still had a functioning civil govt. in NYC. New Orleans, for all intent and purpose, is a city bordering on anarchy. Not chaos, anarchy.
I agree Mlittle.But i would say,one should look at Mumbai who went through a similar disaster on 26th July & the entire city-read commercial hub of India(probably Asia) was shut down for 7 days.

But the city is rapidly & steadily getting back to its original self.I think its the ppl there,who would be instrumental in getting things back to normal.Government wouldnt do a thing!!!
An F1 Idiot!!!

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:19 pm

The way things are going in New Orleans right now, they may have those orders already. From what's been happening today, they had to hold dozens of rescue boats back because when the first bunch of em' went in this morning, all of them got shot at by various criminals inside the areas still yet to be searched. On top of that, most of New Orleans' police(with the exception of those backed up by La. state police and Guard personnel) have pretty much been prevented from helping because they're getting shot at too. Like I said, right now, it's a city bordering on almost-literal anarchy.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:22 pm

mlittle wrote:The way things are going in New Orleans right now, they may have those orders already. From what's been happening today, they had to hold dozens of rescue boats back because when the first bunch of em' went in this morning, all of them got shot at by various criminals inside the areas still yet to be searched. On top of that, most of New Orleans' police(with the exception of those backed up by La. state police and Guard personnel) have pretty much been prevented from helping because they're getting shot at too. Like I said, right now, it's a city bordering on almost-literal anarchy.
A few good snipers in choppers should settle things down, I would think :evil:

<T-K>
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by <T-K> » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:23 pm

mlittle wrote:
The city looks a lot like venice now....
No offense, T-K, but that ain't funny. Seriously, it ain't. :evil:
I was quoting a news reporter on CNN... :oops:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:30 pm

I don't think it'll get to that point, but when they send the boats out next time, they'll have an armed guard or two there to defend them.

As for the city's future...it may take years of hard work, but they'll recover, and that recovery, I believe, will come on the backs of all the good men and women of that region. We Americans are a very resourceful people, kapel. We may get kicked around and knocked down, but we always recover stronger than we began. We've seen the worst hurricanes over the past 40 yrs.(Betsy, Camille, Hugo, Andrew, Frances/Ivan, and Katrina), and we've always recovered. New Orleans may be in an awful, awful way right now, but they'll be back. Count on it.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:32 pm

Don't fret over it, T-K. We all make mistakes. But it still wasn't funny, my friend.