Hurricane Katrina

Want to relax, share an experience or just have a friendly discussion. This is the place

Moderators: cmlean, Ed

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:31 pm

rah wrote:and thats just using his nose as a sail.
:ROTFLMAO: :ROTFLMAO: :ROTFLMAO: :ROTFLMAO: :ROTFLMAO: :ROTFLMAO: :up: :up: :up: :crush: :cheers: :P
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:47 am

Just read your posting, rah, and your not far off the mark. You could visit some of these large cities(New Orleans, Dallas, L.A., etc.) and if you just stayed in the tourist areas, you would never know that those areas even existed. Some of these areas are so poor and downtrodden that you sometimes wonder if the city's leaders have sometimes given up on them. Thankfully, a lot of the people did pull together there this week as the scope of the tragedy began to unfold. For instance, some of the first boat crews to begin rescues in the area on Tuesday and Wed. morning weren't police or parish deputies or the military...many of the people living in Orleans and Jefferson Parishes got in there with their flat-bottom boats and started picking up people(some of those people are still out there, now). By now, they should have about everyone out of there that can be rescued. Another bit of good news was mentioned this morning, as parts of the downtown area started getting electricity, as powere crews finally got in and repaired some of the underground power systems there. I'll try to keep everyone abreast of the situation later in the day.
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:28 am

More good news is coming from hurricane-stricken New Orleans....the Army Corps of Engineers reported today that the 17th St. Canal levee was repaired, and they appear set to begin pumping out the toxic floodwaters from the area. It'll be dangerous, though; 2 engineers were treated for chemical burns during the day. The commander of the U.S. 1st Army, Lt.Gen. Russel Honore, whose active and Guard troops have secured the center of the city, declared that the downtown area is now safe, as his forces continued patrols into the French Qtr., the Vieux Carre, Gentilly Ridge and the Garden District, all of which somehow managed to stay dry this past week. Meanwhile, more rescues were made in the eastern part of New Orleans, as more police from outside the city, including some from NYC and Chicago, arrived to relieve the 1500-man NOPD, of whom it was announced that several hundred were still unaccounted for. The city's police supt. said in a press confrence that his police and fire dept. officers were being withdrawn from the city for rest and rehabilitation outside the city.

On the Miss. coast, Marines from the 2nd Marine Expeditionary Force began arriving to relieve equally beleaguered Mississippi Guard troops who have been involved in rescue operations alongside local/state authorities. On a more somber note, the first official death tolls were released by the authorities...In Mississippi, the number of people who perished stands at 167, while in New Orleans, the total stood at 59. However, civil authorities have said that the total no. of fatalities would likely be in the thousands. More information to be posted tomorrow.

rah
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by rah » Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:41 pm

Looks like a lot of people are angry at dubya for his slow work. Even the press are having a go at him!
Ok, Lewis may win the WDC in 07, but Sato will beat him in 08.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:11 pm

And he is desperately trying to buy time to cover up'" now is not the time...we, they are still finding" etc. :x

Kapel
2004 Champ
2004 Champ

Post by Kapel » Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:14 pm

julian mayo wrote:And he is desperately trying to buy time to cover up'" now is not the time...we, they are still finding" etc. :x
All these politicians have the same blood,which i think needs to be taken out from them :evil:
An F1 Idiot!!!

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:17 pm

Kapel wrote:
julian mayo wrote:And he is desperately trying to buy time to cover up'" now is not the time...we, they are still finding" etc. :x
All these politicians have the same blood,which i think needs to be taken out from them :evil:

Um.....the next sound you hear will be the CIA knocking on your door, Stranger. :shock:

Kapel
2004 Champ
2004 Champ

Post by Kapel » Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:32 pm

julian mayo wrote:
Kapel wrote:

Um.....the next sound you hear will be the CIA knocking on your door, Stranger. :shock:
Nah,not here in India,they'll be lost in traffic :wink: :lol:
An F1 Idiot!!!

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:35 pm

A reminder to keep politics out please!

Kapel
2004 Champ
2004 Champ

Post by Kapel » Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:43 pm

Ed wrote:A reminder to keep politics out please!
Yes sir,even we intend to keep them out :wink: :lol:
An F1 Idiot!!!

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:35 pm

Now you see why I haven't brought the spectre of politics into this. I suspect that, when this tragedy is over with, there will be enough "bloodletting" come election time. Until then, I shall not go down that route, for I do not want Ed to remind me of the prohibition on religious or political talk on this forum site.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:28 am

After repairing the two broken levees in New Orleans(the Industrial and 17th St. Canal), engineers have begun pumping out the toxic "witches-brew" of floodwaters from the city, but it's slow going...of the 148 pumps that are stationed all around the city, only 6 are functioning. Meanwhile, the mayor of the near-deserted city, Ray Nagin, issued a mandatory evacuation order, ordering the 10,000 or so remaining in the city to leave or that they would be physically removed from their homes and residences. In a sense, they have no choice; CDC and Public Health Serivce doctors have said that the number of bacterial infections from the floodwaters have risen sharply this week; add all the chemicals, sludge, sewage and the sure to be numerous amt. of remains(human and otherwise), and you can see why I referred to it as a "witches-brew". Police and Nat. Guard troops have continued their patrols throughout the city, expanding the area they ctrl. now and assisting in the evacuation efforts.

Meanwhile, utilities crews are making progress in restoring electrical power to the Mississippi and Alabama coasts; areas south of Hattiesburg, MS got their lights back on, and all but 2,500 on the 'Bama coast are lights-on, the exception being Dauphin Island, which suffered severe damage from Katrina. I'll try to have more info up on the forum as the evening progresses, but it appears that things are getting better. It is just going to be a long, long recovery.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:27 pm

mlittle wrote:Now you see why I haven't brought the spectre of politics into this. I suspect that, when this tragedy is over with, there will be enough "bloodletting" come election time. Until then, I shall not go down that route, for I do not want Ed to remind me of the prohibition on religious or political talk on this forum site.
So what you are saying is that it would not be a good thing to discuss the merits of President "Duh, did it rain somewhere" Bush, etc , cos that would be political? Ok I understand :lol:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:08 am

No, there's a time and a place to discuss the, uh...merits of Pres. "Gee, is it flooded down there?" Bush...this just ain't the time and the place. Besides, the way the media in the States' is looking at it, he should have plenty to worry about, come election time in 2006.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:39 am

Better get your head to a safe place Mfer. It looks like there is a big new hurricane heading your way. Keep us posted!