Changing Camp

Want to relax, share an experience or just have a friendly discussion. This is the place

Moderators: cmlean, Ed

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:04 am

Never, in the history of mankind, have so many people conspired to thwart the efforts of a solitary citizen to establish communications.
Despite my compuuter telling me I was linked to the internet, with an excellent signal, a certain large quasi-public utility hastily employed a large number of people whos' only mission in life was to tell me that I was not, and could not be linked to the internet.
Should you ever hear the phrase "excessive line distance" let fear strike your heart, especially if it is coupled to "significant signal distortion and loss".
For these were the chantras mournfully mouthed at me on an hourly basis, until I began to believe I would never again spend blissful hours in the Lounge.
My old server had long abandoned me to my fate, saying that The Public Utility was my only hope.
Its representatives were saying I could go online via satellite only, and that will be a few thousand dollars thank you very much, with a multi year contract, and an annual lease on the dish which rivalled the GDP, and we will need your children as security. (tempting, but they had yet to buy my chrissy presents)
All the while the little monitor icon on my toolbar happily blinked the message that I was hooked to the internet with excellent signal strength, inferring that I only needed a carrier, any bloody carrier.
Some investigative work had confirmed that the previous occupants had happily surfed the net, on broadband, so what the hell was going on?
Ahah...........it appears that there are a happy little bunch of gnomes deep within the bowels of a certain pulic utility who decide to reserve lines for Tel...a certain public utility's use only, and the codes for my line had been allocated to them. And told no-one.
It is amazing how one can change gnomes' outlook with an axe and a spotlight.
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

JayVee
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by JayVee » Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:58 am

:alright: :alright:
I'm back and yes supporting Alonso "The Cute" in the Ferrari!

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:29 am

JayVee wrote::alright: :alright:
Thank you :cry:
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.