The 2006 World Cup

Want to relax, share an experience or just have a friendly discussion. This is the place

Moderators: cmlean, Ed

Which team will win the World Cup

Poll ended at Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:34 am

Brazil
46%
Czech Republic
No votes
Netherlands
No votes
Mexico
No votes
USA
8%
Spain
8%
Portugal
No votes
France
No votes
Argentina
No votes
England
15%
Italy
8%
Sweden
No votes
Japan
No votes
Germany
8%
None of the above
8%

Total votes: 13

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:28 am

Southernman wrote:A nine man USA team had a draw against a ten man Italy in a strange match. :? The Italians looked to be full of nerves and the US seemed to play like their lives depended on winning this match. If the niggles that occured at the start of this match happened in rugby union the ref would of called the captain aside and told to calm his players down.

Italy scored the first goal and conceded a strange own goal. Just after that the Italians were down to ten men after a elbow got put into as US players face. :furious: Automatic red card was deserved. That happened halfway through the first half. Near the end of the first half a US player got an automatic for a dangerous tackle on an Italian player. Just after half time A US player got sent of after getting a second yellow card.

The Uraguay ref didn't have the best of games. :(

The final standings in this group could be decided by what players are available for the last group matches. :!:
Southernman, I saw the last 35 minutes of the game(same-day tape, unfortunately) and you're right; I haven't seen the American squad play that kind of soccer (i.e. football) since.......only twice have they as well as they did today(at least the portion of the game I saw...): 2002, when they made it to the quarterfinal round, and back to 1994, when we Americans were the host country(I think we made the quarters that time as well)....

I'm still in shock over the fact that the Yanks had nine players and the Italians had ten and we still squeaked out a draw. :shock: :shock:

If I'm not mistaken, the current order in Group E is Italy, Czech Rep., Ghana and the U.S. Hopefully, two things will happen.........Italy gives the Czechs a shellacking similar to the one the Czechs gave us, and the United States wins over Ghana........if that happens(and someone correct me if I'm wrong), the two teams to the knockout rounds from the group should be.....Italy and the United States......I think. :shock: 8) :shock:
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

Southernman
2004 Top 10
2004 Top 10

Post by Southernman » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:25 pm

mlittle you are right on what the USA team need to do to get in the second round. :D

The points are: Italy 4pts GF 3 GA 1
Czech 3pts GF 3 GA 2
Ghana 3 pts GF 2 GA 2
USA 1pt GF 1 GA 4

Goal difference and goals scored could play a big part on who qualifies. 8)

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:29 pm

Southernman wrote:mlittle you are right on what the USA team need to do to get in the second round. :D

The points are: Italy 4pts GF 3 GA 1
Czech 3pts GF 3 GA 2
Ghana 3 pts GF 2 GA 2
USA 1pt GF 1 GA 4

Goal difference and goals scored could play a big part on who qualifies. 8)
I suspect, southernman, every fan of the US soccer team(myself included!!) are right now saying.......Please win, Italy.......Please win, Italy........Please win, Italy!!!....

Southernman
2004 Top 10
2004 Top 10

Post by Southernman » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:58 pm

As soon as I logged off I remembered other ways in which the USA team can get into the second round. :oops: All ways involve the US team winning well.

If Italy and Czech draw, Italy would have 5pts Czech 4 pts and USA 4pts.
USA would need a big win over Ghana.

If Italy win, Italy would have 7pts, USA 4pts Czech 3pts.

If Czech win, they would have 6pts, Italy 4pts. USA would have 4pts. The US team would need a big win.

I hope that clears things up for you mlittle. :D

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:02 am

Southernman wrote:As soon as I logged off I remembered other ways in which the USA team can get into the second round. :oops: All ways involve the US team winning well.

If Italy and Czech draw, Italy would have 5pts Czech 4 pts and USA 4pts.
USA would need a big win over Ghana.

If Italy win, Italy would have 7pts, USA 4pts Czech 3pts.

If Czech win, they would have 6pts, Italy 4pts. USA would have 4pts. The US team would need a big win.

I hope that clears things up for you mlittle. :D
As long as they can beat Ghana, southernman.....as long as they can beat Ghana; if the U.S. doesn't beat Ghana this week, everything else, as they say, is purely academic. :shock:

<T-K>
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by <T-K> » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:15 am

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Brazil beat Australia.......

I really wanted the socceroo's to win, I dissaprove of the Brazilians......

I think that is just about the first time I have rooted for Australia in a world event :lol: :lol:

Southernman
2004 Top 10
2004 Top 10

Post by Southernman » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:42 am

While both Croatia and Japan played out a 0-0 draw both sides had plenty of chances. Croatia had more chances and had a penalty saved by the Japan goal keeper. :shock:

Although Brazil beat Australia by 2-0, a draw would have been a fairer result. Brazil played lie all they had to do to win the game was to turn up. Brazil has qualified to the second round with this result.

It's sad to see a former great player in Ronaldo play when he is past his use by date. :cry:

Australia qualify for the second round if they beat Croatia or draw against Croatia and Japan fail to beat Brazil by a few goals. I Can't see Japan beating Brazil let alone by a big margin. :lol:

I was happy to see the Koreans draw with France. :D France looked like they played for a 1-0 result when they scored the first goal. :evil:

jacfan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jacfan » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:07 pm

:roll: It was sad to see the socceroos go down but not unexpected. Hopefully they can either beat or draw with Croatia. :D :drink:
Holy crap on a cracker! Image
Number one idiot for 2007!!!!!
2008 Round of France winner!!! Wooooooohoooo!!!!!!
2010 Round of Britian winner!!!!!!

<T-K>
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by <T-K> » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:12 pm

jacfan wrote::roll: It was sad to see the socceroos go down but not unexpected. Hopefully they can either beat or draw with Croatia. :D :drink:

It may be expected of them to go down to Brazil...but they put up a good fight......I think they could have won it.....

Southernman
2004 Top 10
2004 Top 10

Post by Southernman » Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:48 pm

Switzerland have beaten Togo 2-0 in match that a true result of the way the sides played would be a draw. :? I'm glad that Togo can't get into the second round. The way the players have threatened to strike before matches lowers my opinion of them. :evil: :twisted:

Ukraine looked good winning 4-0 against Saudi Arabia. The Saudi goalkeeper looked out of his depth.

Tunisia played alot better than I expected in a 1-3 loss to Spain. Tunisia lead 1-0 with twenty minutes to play before the class of Spains players got them ahead.

Looking forward to Germany v Ecuador, and England v Sweden games coming up. :D

Kapel
2004 Champ
2004 Champ

Post by Kapel » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:37 pm

Southernman wrote: Looking forward to Germany v Ecuador, and England v Sweden games coming up. :D
Me 2 :D
It will b a tough call for England to go for win or lose :roll: they would know the germany match results before their kick off and will have to decide whom to play against in the knockouts :shock:
An F1 Idiot!!!

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:47 pm

Today's games will decide the order in Groups A & B.
In Group A, Ecuador and Germany are through but today's game will decide who tops the group. Ecuador only need a draw to top the group while Germany must win it.

In Group B, England is already through but Sweden isn't assured. A draw will see Sweden through but will be second in the group. If Sweden win then they will top the group.

In the round of 16, the winner of Group A meets the runner up of Group B and the winner of Group B meets the runner up of Group A.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:53 am

jacfan wrote:I found these quotes about the world cup and thought I would share them...
All the fans are wearing yellow shorts, it?s a fantastic kaleidoscope of color. (Soccer World Cup)
The World Cup is truly an international event. (Soccer World Cup)
:clap: :clap: :clap: Someone is a genius!!!!
:up: :ROTFLMAO: :ROTFLMAO: :ROTFLMAO: :ROTFLMAO: :ROTFLMAO: :ROTFLMAO: :ROTFLMAO: :ROTFLMAO: :ROTFLMAO: :ROTFLMAO: :cheers:

Gee, its a funny shaped ball they use, how come they dont have goal defence and gaol attack like netball :?: :shock:
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:58 am

<T-K> wrote::evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Brazil beat Australia.......

I really wanted the socceroo's to win, I dissaprove of the Brazilians......

I think that is just about the first time I have rooted for Australia in a world event :lol: :lol:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: ..........reports just in of serious ice problems in Hell. Civilian aircraft pilots report flyng pigs in SA.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:01 pm

Germany won their group after a 3 - 0 win over Ecuador while England won their group after a 2 - 2 draw with Sweden.

So the teams for 2 games in the round of 16 are now known:

Germany play Sweden & England play Ecuador. Winners move to the quarter finals, losers exit the tournament.