The 2006 World Cup

Want to relax, share an experience or just have a friendly discussion. This is the place

Moderators: cmlean, Ed

Which team will win the World Cup

Poll ended at Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:34 am

Brazil
46%
Czech Republic
No votes
Netherlands
No votes
Mexico
No votes
USA
8%
Spain
8%
Portugal
No votes
France
No votes
Argentina
No votes
England
15%
Italy
8%
Sweden
No votes
Japan
No votes
Germany
8%
None of the above
8%

Total votes: 13

Southernman
2004 Top 10
2004 Top 10

Post by Southernman » Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:05 pm

It's good to see Australia get a 2-2 draw to progress through to the second round. :clap: :clap: The Australian goalkeeper must be happy after his blunder that gave Croatia the lead.

Brazil had a 4-1 win over Japan.

Italy and Ghana are the group E teams to get into the second round. Italy beat the Czech Rep. 2-0. Ghana beat USA 2-1.

Round of sixteen matches decided today are Italy v Australia and Brazil v Ghana.

Southernman
2004 Top 10
2004 Top 10

Post by Southernman » Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:01 am

The results of the last games in group G is France 2-0 over Togo. France made hard work of a team that they should have beaten easily. Switzerland beat Korea 2-0. The two teams into the last round from group G are Switzerland and France.

In group H Spain who rested a few players beat Saudi Arabia 1-0. Ukraine beat Tunisia 1-0. The teams into the second round are Spain and Ukraine.

The round of sixteen is next up. I predict Germany to beat Sweden and Argentina to beat Mexico

Southernman
2004 Top 10
2004 Top 10

Post by Southernman » Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:11 pm

Germany beat Sweden 2-0, scoring both goals early on. When Sweden lost a player for a second yellow card midway through the first half the game lost shape. The second yellow card should not have been shown in my opinion. Sweden also missed a penalty kick in the second half.

A fast opening in the game between Mexico and Argentina. Both sides scored a goal early on. Argentina were lucky not to have a player sent off near the end of the first half after an illegal tackle prevented the Mexican player a chance to have a shot at goal with only the goalkeeper to beat. Both sides looked tired in the second half. The game went into extra time where a brilliant goal from Argentina enabled it to win 2-1.

Southernman
2004 Top 10
2004 Top 10

Post by Southernman » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:23 pm

England looked suspect in their 1-0 win over Ecuador. The only goal came from a Beckham free kick.

Portugal beat Netherlands 1-0 in a match that finished nine aside. Players of both sides lost the plot in a nasty match. :x

England will be favoured to beat Portugal in the quater finals as Portugal will have players suspended.

jacfan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jacfan » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:11 pm

It is not certain that Harry Kewell will line up against Italy tonight. :cry:
Holy crap on a cracker! Image
Number one idiot for 2007!!!!!
2008 Round of France winner!!! Wooooooohoooo!!!!!!
2010 Round of Britian winner!!!!!!

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:29 pm

So far all the group winners have made it through to the Quarter finals.

Germany, Argentina, England, Portugal.

Can Australia change that tonight ? It will be tough but not impossible.

I agree with Southernman that England will have an advantage over Portugal as 2 key players are suspended and Ronaldo may have a serious injury but keep in mind England didn't play that well against Ecuador.

Germany vs Argentina ? Don't know who can predict the result of that one!

sgd
Racer
Racer

Post by sgd » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:15 am

Ed wrote:I agree with Southernman that England will have an advantage over Portugal as 2 key players are suspended and Ronaldo may have a serious injury but keep in mind England didn't play that well against Ecuador.

Germany vs Argentina ? Don't know who can predict the result of that one!
:that: :that: :that:

I think the winner of Germany vs Argentina will become WC... my team -- Argentina (I alsi support Italy and Ukrania =)

sad to see Australia lose like that today... :(
And very good for Ukrania! :)

1/4 Final Ita vs Ukr..: Italy 2 - 1 ;)

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:26 am

jacfan wrote:It is not certain that Harry Kewell will line up against Italy tonight. :cry:
He didn't :cry:
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

jacfan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jacfan » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:39 pm

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Holy crap on a cracker! Image
Number one idiot for 2007!!!!!
2008 Round of France winner!!! Wooooooohoooo!!!!!!
2010 Round of Britian winner!!!!!!

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:36 pm

jacfan wrote::cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
I concur
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :evil:

Southernman
2004 Top 10
2004 Top 10

Post by Southernman » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:25 pm

Australia were unfortunate to lose 1-0 in injury time in the second half to an Italian side that played with ten men for most of the second half. The Italians were unlucky for their player to get a straight red card when a yellow card would have been a true punishment. The penalty that the Italy scored from in injury time should not have been awarded. The Italian player "tripped" over an Australian player lying on the ground.

I wanted Australia to win. :cry: :cry:

Ukraine and Switzerland game went to a penalty shoot out after the teams both failed to score in ordinary and extra time. Both sides looked they were more concerned more with not losing rather than trying to win.

<T-K>
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by <T-K> » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:01 pm

:!: Ukraine :!:

World cup champions 2006 8) (although the way they played yesterday wasnt WC material)

Southernman
2004 Top 10
2004 Top 10

Post by Southernman » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:34 pm

Brazil out classed Ghana 3-0. I'm not as convinced as the media is that Ronaldo is back even though he did score a good goal.

France beat Spain 3-1. Spain took the lead with a penalty midway through the first half. France equalised just before halftime with a great goal. In the second half France got the lead near the end of the game. In injury time France got their third goal.

My predictions for the quarter finals. (don't laugh)

Germany to beat Argentina.
Italy to beat Ukraine.
England to beat Portugal
Brazil to beat france.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:38 pm

Southernman wrote:Brazil out classed Ghana 3-0. I'm not as convinced as the media is that Ronaldo is back even though he did score a good goal.

France beat Spain 3-1. Spain took the lead with a penalty midway through the first half. France equalised just before halftime with a great goal. In the second half France got the lead near the end of the game. In injury time France got their third goal.

My predictions for the quarter finals. (don't laugh)

Germany to beat Argentina.
Italy to beat Ukraine.
England to beat Portugal
Brazil to beat france.
Germany/Brazil Final ?
Go Brazil.

Southernman
2004 Top 10
2004 Top 10

Post by Southernman » Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:17 am

Germany beat Argentina in a penalty shootout (4-2) after the scores were level 1-1 at the end of normal and extra time. It was a tightly contested first half that both sides struggled to get many shoots on target. The game came to life early in the second half when Argentina scored the opening goal. Germany didn't equalise until late in the second half. Brave performance from Ballack who played on although injured.

I don't like penalty shootouts to decide matches. :(

Italy beat Ukraine 3-0 in the other quarterfinal played today. Italy scored a great goal at the start of the first half. In the second half Ukraine were unlucky not to convert chances that they had and unfortunately conceded two goals midway through the second half.