Sauber signs Sergio Perez for 2011

Discuss all the aspects of the Formula 1 sport here

Moderators: cmlean, Ed, The Qualiflyer, The Heretic

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Sauber signs Sergio Perez for 2011

Post by Ed » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:25 am

The Sauber team announced today that Mexican Sergio Perez will lineup alongside Kamui Kobayashi in 2011. The team also announced a partnership with Mexican telco Telmex.

The team released the following statement:

Sauber Motorsport sign Sergio Perez as race driver and announce partnership with Telmex

Hinwil, 4th October 2010. Sauber Motorsport have signed a contract with Sergio Perez. The 20-year old Mexican driver will line up alongside Kamui Kobayashi for Peter Sauber’s team in the 2011 Formula One World Championship.

Sergio Perez has been a member of Escuderia Telmex, which supports racing drivers in various categories, for a number of years. He finished second in this year’s GP2 Series, winning four races – including the prestigious championship round in Monaco – in the process. Sergio began his career in Karting, where he won a total of five championships. He followed that up with two years in Formula BMW before moving on to the National Class of the British F3 International Series, where he won a still record 14 races. In 2008 he finished fourth in the International Class of the British F3 International Series. In GP2 Asia he became the series’ youngest race winner at the age of 18.

Sergio Perez: “Formula One is the dream of every young racing driver. And now this dream is about to come true for me. Although I’m very much aware that this is also a big challenge and responsibility, I’m happy to accept that and am proud to be representing my country in the highest category of motor racing. I would like to thank Peter Sauber for the faith he’s shown in me and I’ll do everything I can to make the most of this wonderful opportunity.”

Peter Sauber: “Sergio has been on a continuous upward curve over the past few years. He demonstrated his fighting spirit in races over the course of last season and proved that he’s ready to take the step up into Formula One. I look forward to working with him and am in no doubt that, in Sergio Perez and Kamui Kobayashi, we will have a strong driver pairing.”

Today Sauber Motorsport also announce the start of the team’s partnership with Telmex. The Mexican telecommunications company’s logos will have a significant presence on the Sauber Motorsport racing cars as from the coming season.

Telmex is a corporation made up of Teléfonos de México, S.A.B. de C.V. and subsidiaries providing telecommunications services in Mexico. The company’s service coverage comprises the operations of the nation’s most complete local and long distance networks. Additionally, Telmex also offers services including connectivity, internet access, co-location, web hosting and interconnection services to other telecommunications operators.

Telmex Chairman Carlos Slim Domit says: “Sauber has been not only a very successful racing team but also a strong talent developer of some of the most recognized names in racing since their early stages as well as one of the most respected people in the sport. Their decision of having Sergio with them is very significant on his career to become a top driver representing Mexico. For Telmex and our racing project Escuderia Telmex it’s a great step forward, and we feel very proud to be able to consolidate these years of work for having a Mexican driver in F1 with Sauber Motorsport.”

Peter Sauber explains: “Telmex has been involved in motor sport for a number of years already and supports drivers in various race series. Now they are making the key step up into the top category of motor racing, and we are happy and proud that they are taking this step with us. Telmex is an outstanding company and represents a strong partner for our team. We are looking forward to a fruitful partnership

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:28 am

I'm very new to following F1, but there is a lot of excitement about this kid. I hope he works his way up and becomes a front runner...the more talent, the better!