Should the Formula 1 race in Bahrain go ahead ?

Discuss all the aspects of the Formula 1 sport here

Moderators: cmlean, Ed, The Qualiflyer, The Heretic

Do you think the F1 race in Bahrain should go ahead

Yes
16%
No
84%

Total votes: 146

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Should the Formula 1 race in Bahrain go ahead ?

Post by Ed » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:17 pm

With the ongoing anti-government protests in Bahrain and the resulting violence, there is a big question on whether the Formula 1 race scheduled for the 13th of March should go ahead.

What are your thoughts on this ?

Related articles:

F1 teams want Bahrain opener cancelled - reports
Ecclestone changes tune again after more Bahrain violence
F1 must axe Bahrain season opener - Lauda
GP2 race cancelled amid Bahrain violence
Bahrain protests threaten 2011 season opener
Last edited by Ed on Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thaddeus
F1 Tester
F1 Tester

Post by Thaddeus » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:14 am

I voted No. However, that's No to its scheduled slot. If it could be rescheduled later, when things are (hopefully) resolved, that would be better than outright cancellation.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:44 am

Thaddeus wrote:I voted No. However, that's No to its scheduled slot. If it could be rescheduled later, when things are (hopefully) resolved, that would be better than outright cancellation.
I agree with Thaddeus on this one. Best scenario for F1 on Bahrain would be to reschedule it either before or after Abu Dhabi.
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

GhoGho
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by GhoGho » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:07 am

mlittle wrote:
Thaddeus wrote:I voted No. However, that's No to its scheduled slot. If it could be rescheduled later, when things are (hopefully) resolved, that would be better than outright cancellation.
I agree with Thaddeus on this one. Best scenario for F1 on Bahrain would be to reschedule it either before or after Abu Dhabi.
:that:
I'm in shape

Round is a shape...........

:cheers:

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:42 am

The Bahrain Grand Prix has been postponed. The Crown Prince of Bahrain has advised that the race be postponed as the country is focused on building a new national dialogue. No date has been set for when the race would be hosted.

A press statement by the Bahrain International Circuit read:

BAHRAIN WITHDRAWS FROM FIRST RACE IN F1 SEASON

The Bahrain International Circuit (BIC) today announced that the Kingdom of Bahrain would withdraw from hosting this year’s F1 Grand Prix race so that the country can focus on its process of national dialogue.

Last Friday, Bahrain’s Crown Prince - HRH Prince Salman bin Hamad Al-Khalifa - initiated a new national dialogue involving all sections of Bahraini society in order to resolve the current political situation in the Kingdom. The Crown Prince informed Formula One’s Bernie Ecclestone of the BIC’s decision by telephone earlier today.

HRH Prince Salman said:
At the present time the country’s entire attention is focused on building a new national dialogue for Bahrain.

Although Bernie Ecclestone had graciously made clear that a decision on the race was entirely Bahrain’s to make and was not yet required, we felt it was important for the country to focus on immediate issues of national interest and leave the hosting of Bahrain’s Formula 1 race to a later date.

I would like to extend my personal gratitude to Bernie Ecclestone for his support and understanding.

After the events of the past week, our nation’s priority is on overcoming tragedy, healing divisions and rediscovering the fabric that draws this country together; reminding the world of the very best that Bahrain is capable of as a nation once again united.
Chairman of the Bahrain International Circuit, Zayed R. Alzayani said:
Bahrain’s Grand Prix is a time of celebration and hosting the race is a source of great pride for Bahrain and Bahrainis. It is a showcase to the world and we look forward to welcoming the teams and drivers and everyone involved in Formula One back to Bahrain in the very near future.

I hope that F1 and our friends around the world will understand our decision at this difficult time.
Following the Crown Prince’s decision, Bernie Ecclestone commented:
It is sad that Bahrain has had to withdraw from the race, we wish the whole nation well as they begin to heal their country.

The hospitality and warmth of the people of Bahrain is a hallmark of the race there, as anyone who has been at a Bahrain Grand Prix will testify. We look forward to being back in Bahrain soon.
No decision has been made on a new date for the rescheduling of the race, which was due to take place from March 11th to 13th.

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:43 am

The FIA then issued the following statement:

Grand Prix of Bahrain

The Federation Internationale de l’Automobile supports the decision of the Bahrain Motor Federation and the Bahrain International Circuit to postpone the scheduled first Grand Prix of the 2011 season due to be held in the Kingdom of Bahrain on March 11-13.

This decision is the outcome of the close co-operation between the FIA, Formula One Management, the Bahrain Motor Federation and the Bahrain International Circuit.

The FIA is Formula One’s governing body and is responsible for the international calendar as well as all matters of safety relating to the stakeholders involved in Grand Prix racing

jacfan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jacfan » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:04 pm

That is the problem with some of the countries that they now visit.
Holy crap on a cracker! Image
Number one idiot for 2007!!!!!
2008 Round of France winner!!! Wooooooohoooo!!!!!!
2010 Round of Britian winner!!!!!!

Jim Watt
Racer
Racer

Post by Jim Watt » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:36 am

:D I'm surprised that none of you guys mentioned the fact that Bahrain (or as I call it BORE-ing) is a circuit that actually needs to be dropped from F1! Or, at the very least, completely re-done to make the actual racing something worth watching. Of course, if Mr. E. has his way, all the circuits will be overblown monuments to various persons of great wealth and no panache. I wonder what it would be like, actually, to see the mighty F1 teams roaring around one of those jury-rigged airport circuits that the old Champ Cars used to attempt, the sort of circuit with NO runoff and plenty of blind corners? I'd rather have Bahrain dropped and put the teams in some corner of, I don't know, let's say Mexico; we'd get a chance to see which drivers really enjoy racing.

Jim Watt
My Racing Gods: Fangio, Vukovich; Senna & Mears --all racers all the time; graceful winners & generous in defeat, but never giving up!!

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Tue May 03, 2011 5:32 pm

The FIA has given the Bahrain authorities until the 3rd of June to decide on whether the race will be re-scheduled this season or cancelled.

The FIA statement read:

Bahrain Grand Prix

The Fédération Internationale de l’Automobile, has granted the Bahrain Motor Federation and the Bahrain International Circuit an extension until June 3rd, date of the FIA World Motor Sport Council in Barcelona.

This decision was taken after consultation with the relevant Bahraini authorities and Formula One Management, the international promoter.

Jim Watt
Racer
Racer

Post by Jim Watt » Wed May 04, 2011 1:29 am

:D Thanks, Ed. Once again Mr. E. lives up to his --shall we say, unsavory?-- reputation. He'd run a race in Hell if the Devil came up with the cash. There's no question that the little facist, so called king or sheik of Bahrain, is responsible for torturing and killing people so he can run his precious race. :evil:

If F.I.A. and Bernie run it, I hope the drivers don't show up. 8) Or, if they do, that they run the formation lap and then go park their cars like they did in Indy.

jim watt
My Racing Gods: Fangio, Vukovich; Senna & Mears --all racers all the time; graceful winners & generous in defeat, but never giving up!!

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:13 am

The World Motorsport Council will meet today and a decision on whether or not the 2011 Bahrain Grand Prix will go ahead or not will be made.

Do you think that Bahrain should be allowed to host the race this year ?

Related stories:

No peace in Bahrain as FIA decision looms
December date 'great' for India - Chandhok
Hill urges F1 to skip Bahrain in 2011

jacfan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jacfan » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:56 pm

No I think it would be better to skip it but then maybe the drivers should make that decision.
Holy crap on a cracker! Image
Number one idiot for 2007!!!!!
2008 Round of France winner!!! Wooooooohoooo!!!!!!
2010 Round of Britian winner!!!!!!

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:15 pm

Mark Webber (@AussieGrit) tweeted this statement:

"When people in a country are being hurt, the issues are bigger than sport. Let's hope the right decision is made.."

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:04 am

The World Motor Sport Council re-instated the Bahrain Grand Prix. The race will now take place on the 30th of October in place of the Indian Grand Prix. The Indian Grand Prix becomes the season finale (expected on the 11th of Deecember) although the date has yet to be confirmed.

The FIA issued the following statement:

Bahrain GP

Following a fact-finding mission undertaken at the request of FIA President Jean Todt, FIA Vice President Carlos Gracia visited Bahrain on 31 May 2011 to assess the situation in the country. Meetings were conducted with the Ministry of Interior, the Ministry of Culture and Tourism, the Bahrain Motor Federation and Bahrain International Circuit, as well as other national and international organisations including Mr. Tariq Al Saffar at the National Institute of Human Rights. It should be noted that the recent announcement by the King of Bahrain has established a political dialogue and reconciliation process.

After considering all the factors and taking into consideration all stakeholders’ concerns, the WMSC unanimously agreed to reinstate the Bahrain Grand Prix in the 2011 FIA Formula One World Championship.

This decision reflects the spirit of reconciliation in Bahrain, which is evident from the strong support the race receives from the Government and all major parties in Bahrain, including the largest opposition group, all of whom endorse the Formula One Grand Prix and motor sport in the country. The WMSC feels that reinstating the Grand Prix is a means of helping to unite people as the country looks to move forward, and also recognises the commitment made by the Formula One teams, their employees and families, and personnel associated with the Championship including the local team of volunteers who are so vital to the event.

The Bahrain Grand Prix will take place on 30 October, replacing the Indian Grand Prix, which will now become the final round of the 2011 Championship, combined with the FIA Annual General Assembly and Prize-Giving Gala.

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:10 am

The Red Bull Racing team issued the following statement:

Red Bull Racing has acknowledged the FIA World Motor Sport Council’s decision to go ahead with the 2011 Bahrain Grand Prix.

We will go through the correct channels and discuss this decision within the appropriate forum with the other F1 teams and our fellow FOTA members.