The 2011 Australian Grand Prix Thread

Discuss all the aspects of the Formula 1 sport here

Moderators: cmlean, Ed, The Qualiflyer, The Heretic

Australian Grand Prix - Driver of the day ?

Sebastian Vettel
11%
Lewis Hamilton
10%
Vitaly Petrov
42%
Fernando Alonso
10%
Jenson Button
2%
Sergio Perez
22%
Kamui Kobayashi
2%
Felipe Massa
2%
Sebastien Buemi
1%

Total votes: 130

jido
F1 Tester
F1 Tester

Post by jido » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:07 am

You are jumping to conclusions after just one race; a little more patience! We don't know yet how the different drivers are doing this season.

Personally I wouldn't give up on Massa that easily. He may not be the best, but he does belong to the top ten -- I will be expecting him there.

Unfortunate for Webber, I believe his car is to blame. Even more unfortunate for Perez -- he surprised everyone, but it looks like he will not reap the fruits of his effort. I am happy for Vitaly. In testing he showed signs of being fast, and that did happen. Another surprise is McLaren and specially Hamilton. Great way to start the championship!

I am looking forward to more Hamilton/Red Bull fights, and hopefully Alonso will find a way to join the party. Last year it felt good to see these guys show their best.

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:39 am

It was certainly an interesting race where for all the top teams, one driver shined and the other struggled. Vettel, Hamilton, Alonso, Petrov and Rosberg all had good races where their teammates didn't. Button could be an exception as he was clearly quicker than Massa and should have managed the pass on Massa and avoided the penalty.

Seeing Hamilton close up to Vettel in the first stint shows that the Red Bull isn't that much quicker than the rest in race trim and I do think that we will see close racing this season. And while one cannot make a call from just one race, it does appear that Vettel, Hamilton, Alonso and Rosberg (and possibly Button) have got a good understanding of how to deal with these new tyres.

Petrov is worth a mention as I don't think anyone expected him to beat Heidfeld let alone finish on the podium. Perez was also impressive on debut despite the technicality that stripped him of the result.

Malaysia is next and with the extreme temperatures and humidity, we'll see how things go there!

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:08 am

The Sauber team will not appeal the stewards decision to exclude them from the race. A statement by the team read:

Sauber F1 Team will not appeal

After examining all the facts, the Sauber F1 Team has decided not to appeal against the verdict of the stewards following the Australian Grand Prix last Sunday. The two drivers Sergio Pérez and Kamui Kobayashi had crossed the finish line in Melbourne in seventh and eighth places respectively, but were subsequently excluded from the results. The post-race scrutineering check by the race stewards revealed that a radius on the upper rear wing element on Pérez’ and Kobayashi’s cars contravened the regulations by a few millimetres.

“It did not bring us any performance advantage, but the fact is that it was a deviation from the regulations. We take note of the stewards’ decision,” said James Key, the team’s Technical Director.

In the meantime, the Sauber F1 Team has carried out a comprehensive internal investigation. “We have since found that there was an error in the checking process for the relevant dimension on this component. We have already put measures in place to ensure that nothing of this kind occurs again in the future,” added Key.

The decision came as a particular blow to the two drivers Sergio Pérez and Kamui Kobayashi. Team Principal Peter Sauber commented: “Both Sergio and Kamui put in a tremendous performance on Sunday. They gained no advantage from the inaccurate rear wing. They both fought hard to secure their finishing places and had really earned their points. Notwithstanding the disappointment, we have shown that we have a fast car and two highly talented drivers. It makes me optimistic for this season.”

jacfan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jacfan » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:31 pm

I voted for Petrov for DotD. Although he didn't win the race, in my opinion he was brilliant. Yes ... yes ... I hear you say that Vettel was brilliant and won the race but he was in what just about everyone says is the best car so in point of actual fact that was good but not bloody brilliant.

Bring on the next race. It will be interesting... I hope.
Holy crap on a cracker! Image
Number one idiot for 2007!!!!!
2008 Round of France winner!!! Wooooooohoooo!!!!!!
2010 Round of Britian winner!!!!!!

Thaddeus
F1 Tester
F1 Tester

Post by Thaddeus » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:35 pm

It's true Vettel was in the best car, but if you compare him with Webber in qualifying and the race he was miles ahead of his team mate as well.

I can see why people would vote for Petrov or Perez as the driver of the race, I just disagree.

jacfan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jacfan » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:09 pm

Thaddeus wrote:It's true Vettel was in the best car, but if you compare him with Webber in qualifying and the race he was miles ahead of his team mate as well.

I can see why people would vote for Petrov or Perez as the driver of the race, I just disagree.
I disagree!!
I certainly agree that you are certainly free to disagree but I am also free to disagree with your disagree. And we could agree to disagree but that makes the disagreement agreeable.... um... err...... I concur!!! However just because I concur does not mean that I agree with you..... :oops:
Holy crap on a cracker! Image
Number one idiot for 2007!!!!!
2008 Round of France winner!!! Wooooooohoooo!!!!!!
2010 Round of Britian winner!!!!!!