Sebastien Buemi
No votes

Total votes: 88

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

The 2011 Monaco Grand Prix Thread

Post by Ed » Wed May 25, 2011 6:57 pm

This is the place to discuss everything related to the sixth round of the 2011 season taking place at the Monaco street circuit between the 26th and 29th of May.

To submit your 10 'n' Pole Picks for Monaco click here, to register in the competition click here

Track Layout

The event timetable for the Monaco Grand Prix.

Thursday
1st Practice 10:00 local time - 08:00 GMT
2nd Practice 14:00 local time - 12:00 GMT

Saturday
Practice 11:00 local time - 09:00 GMT
Qualifying 14:00 local time - 12:00 GMT

Sunday
Race 14:00 local time - 12:00 GMT

For the latest Formula 1 News check out the F1 news page
Last edited by Ed on Mon May 30, 2011 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

jacfan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jacfan » Sun May 29, 2011 12:54 pm

For a while during qualifying last night I was frozen to the screen... hoping and praying that we weren't seeing a repeat of Imola '94. That was some impact and I am sure fans all around the world were doing the same... however luckily this time the outcome was much better.
According to James Allen on F1, Sergio Perez has only suffered no broken bones just a sprained thigh and concussion.
A truly great outcome.
Holy crap on a cracker! Image
Number one idiot for 2007!!!!!
2008 Round of France winner!!! Wooooooohoooo!!!!!!
2010 Round of Britian winner!!!!!!

jacfan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jacfan » Sun May 29, 2011 12:56 pm

Lewis Hamilton has had his time from Q3 taken away due to cutting the chicane.

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sun May 29, 2011 4:48 pm

Sauber issued the following statement on the condition of Sergio Perez:

It was with great relief the Sauber F1 Team received the news that Sergio Pérez has no serious injuries after his heavy accident in the closing minutes of the final part of qualifying for the Monaco Grand Prix. Shortly before 15:00 hrs he had crashed into the barrier after the fast tunnel section of the circuit.

The 21-year-old Mexican was taken to the Hospital Princess Grace in Monaco from where the team received further information at 16:25 hrs: The doctors said Pérez had suffered concussion and a sprained thigh, but no broken bones and, following a scan, they could find no further injuries.

The reason for the accident will be investigated and the team will update the media as soon as it has any further information.

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sun May 29, 2011 4:50 pm

The Sauber team followed up with this statement:

After Sergio Pérez‘s heavy accident in the final minutes of qualifying for the Monaco Grand Prix, of course, the relief that the 21-year-old Mexican didn’t suffer any serious injuries is the overriding emotion inside the Sauber F1 Team. He was taken to the Hospital Princesse Grace in Monaco where he underwent an extensive examination. The medical staff informed the Sauber F1 Team that he escaped the shunt with concussion and a bruised thigh. Pérez will remain in hospital at least overnight and will definitely not start the race on Sunday.

Until the accident Pérez had shown his strongest qualifying performance so far in what is his first Formula One season. He made it into Q3, the qualifying session for the top ten drivers. In Q2 he had finished ninth on a fresh set of super soft tyres (1:15.482 min). The accident happened when he was on his final fast lap in Q3 on another fresh set of super soft tyres. He crashed into the barrier in the fast section after the tunnel. According to the current information, the team has no indication there was a technical failure, but it is investigating the accident further to find the reason for it.

jacfan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jacfan » Sun May 29, 2011 6:06 pm

Ed wrote:The Sauber team followed up with this statement:

After Sergio Pérez‘s heavy accident in the final minutes of qualifying for the Monaco Grand Prix, of course, the relief that the 21-year-old Mexican didn’t suffer any serious injuries is the overriding emotion inside the Sauber F1 Team. He was taken to the Hospital Princesse Grace in Monaco where he underwent an extensive examination. The medical staff informed the Sauber F1 Team that he escaped the shunt with concussion and a bruised thigh. Pérez will remain in hospital at least overnight and will definitely not start the race on Sunday.

Until the accident Pérez had shown his strongest qualifying performance so far in what is his first Formula One season. He made it into Q3, the qualifying session for the top ten drivers. In Q2 he had finished ninth on a fresh set of super soft tyres (1:15.482 min). The accident happened when he was on his final fast lap in Q3 on another fresh set of super soft tyres. He crashed into the barrier in the fast section after the tunnel. According to the current information, the team has no indication there was a technical failure, but it is investigating the accident further to find the reason for it.
Thanks Ed for all that wonderful information. It certainly is good news that Perez is ok.

Tim
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tim » Mon May 30, 2011 1:21 am

A thrilling race at Monaco, well the first 72 laps were. Vettel got the break he needed but any of the three would've deserved the win.

The interuption towards the end was dissapointing but it is more important to ensure Petrov is taken care of. Thankfully he is ok

Hamilton was too agreesive today. His style works at most other tracks but in Monaco he needs to realise that he cannot overtake without the other driver leaving the door open or making a mistake.
His penalty maybe harsh but di Resta was also penalised for a similar move.

Driver of the day ? Tough one, Vettel took a big risk staying out on those tyres and was fortunate in the end, Alonso was up there pushing Vettel hard and Button was up there as well.
Kobayashi also worth a mention

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Mon May 30, 2011 1:29 am

Statement from Renault on Petrov's condition:

Update on Vitaly’s condition

After his crash during the Monaco GP this afternoon, Vitaly complained about his left ankle to the medical crew, so doctors drove him to the Princess Grace hospital for further checks. No fracture had been diagnosed at the circuit.

Once at hospital, it was confirmed that there was no swelling or broken bone. As a precaution, Vitaly will undergo a full body scan but he should be back in the paddock within a few hours

jacfan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jacfan » Mon May 30, 2011 11:39 am

Two lucky drivers this weekend. So pleased to know that they are both ok and just bruised.

Would have been fascinating to see how the race would have unfolded if Seb had finished the race on old tyres.
Somehow I think the race would have panned out much differently and we might have seen Alonso taking the chequered flag.

Can't give Seb driver of the day as it was just luck that he got to change his tyres. For me I am giving it to Alonso this time.

Thaddeus
F1 Tester
F1 Tester

Post by Thaddeus » Mon May 30, 2011 4:29 pm

Glad all those who crashed are ok.

Gave Button driver of the day. He drove flawlessly but was compromised by a rubbish decision to go from supersofts to another set of the same. Damned shame we were robbed of a fantastic three-way fight for the victory at the end.

I also think Hamilton's comments were pathetically self-pitying, and feel sorry for Maldonado.

jido
F1 Tester
F1 Tester

Post by jido » Mon May 30, 2011 7:20 pm

Certainly would not choose Hamilton as driver of the day. His driving was almost dangerous. :?

Vettel, Button, Alonso of the frontrunners I picked Sebastian.

Tim
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tim » Mon May 30, 2011 11:17 pm

Thaddeus wrote:...He drove flawlessly but was compromised by a rubbish decision to go from supersofts to another set of the same.
Damned shame we were robbed of a fantastic three-way fight for the victory at the end.
Agree on both those points. Even if Button was planning a 3-stopper, you'd get your mandatory compound out of the way to cover yourself. Red Bull has a bad pit stop and McLaren had a bad strategy. Having said that, Button in the past races this season has gone different from the other front runners with limited success.

And yes it was a great 72 laps and then disappointment! I guess the rules on what you are allowed to do on the car in such a situation never considered this year's Pirellis!! But thinking about it, why are they allowed to do anything on the car if the race is stopped/suspended ?

jacfan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jacfan » Tue May 31, 2011 12:16 pm

And yes it was a great 72 laps and then disappointment! I guess the rules on what you are allowed to do on the car in such a situation never considered this year's Pirellis!! But thinking about it, why are they allowed to do anything on the car if the race is stopped/suspended ?
It certainly would have been a different finish if they had not been allowed to work on the car before the restart. Lewis would not have been able to continue on and it certainly would have been interesting to see how Seb went on his old tyres!!

I agree with you Tim... it certainly does seem like an odd rule.

cmlean

Post by cmlean » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:32 pm

I gave my vote to Vettel but it could have gone to Alonso and Button. They all drove very well on the weekend.