Perez pulls out of Canadian Grand Prix

Discuss all the aspects of the Formula 1 sport here

Moderators: cmlean, Ed, The Qualiflyer, The Heretic

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Perez pulls out of Canadian Grand Prix

Post by Ed » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:46 pm

Sergio Perez was involved in a heavy crash at the Monaco Grand Prix two weeks ago. He wasn't seriously injured but was kept under observation for 2 nights at a Monaco hospital.

On Thursday Perez was given the all clear by the FIA and he took part in the first Friday practice session in Montreal but after that he informed the team he wasn't feeling 100%. The team asked McLaren test driver Pedro de la Rosa to take his place even though de la Rosa has his contract with Sauber terminated early last year!

It is also odd that given Perez's situation, the team didn't have their reserve driver on standby!

The team issued the following statement:

Sergio Pérez will have to miss the Candadian Grand Prix

Pedro de la Rosa steps in for the Mexican driver

Montréal, 10.06.2011 – After Sergio Pérez reported feeling unwell in the first free practice session of the Canadian Grand Prix, the Sauber F1 Team decided he should miss one race on grounds of safety. His illness could be a consequence of the accident he suffered in qualifying at the Monaco Grand Prix. Pedro de la Rosa (40, Spain) will be driving the second Sauber C30-Ferrari alongside Kamui Kobayashi in Montreal.

Team Principal Peter Sauber: ”This development hit us by surprise, because Sergio underwent thorough medical checks, first in the hospital in Monaco, then in a hospital in Zürich, and finally, the FIA doctors gave him the green light this Thursday in Montreal. Nobody could have foreseen that he would feel unwell. Maybe we are being overly cautious, but when it’s about the health of our drivers we take zero risks.”

Sergio Pérez: “Of course I wanted to drive and I had no doubt I was alright. But apparently this is unfortunately not the case. I am deeply disappointed. I spoke to the team after the session and told them that I’m not a hundred per cent fit. I only want to drive when I’m a hundred per cent well. I need some more time to recover.“

Peter Sauber added: “We want to thank Pedro de la Rosa and McLaren for helping us out in this situation.”