The 2011 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Thread

Discuss all the aspects of the Formula 1 sport here

Moderators: cmlean, Ed, The Qualiflyer, The Heretic

Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Driver of the day ?

Lewis Hamilton
43%
Fernando Alonso
29%
Jenson Button
3%
Mark Webber
7%
Felipe Massa
1%
Nico Rosberg
3%
Michael Schumacher
9%
Adrian Sutil
2%
Paul di Resta
2%
Kamui Kobayashi
2%

Total votes: 118

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

The 2011 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Thread

Post by Ed » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:40 pm

This is the place to discuss everything related to the eighteenth round of the 2011 season taking place in Abu Dhabi between the 11th and 13th of November.

To submit your 10 'n' Pole Picks for Abu Dhabi click here, to register in the competition click here

Track Layout

The event timetable for the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

Friday
1st Practice 13:00 local time - 09:00 GMT
2nd Practice 17:00 local time - 13:00 GMT

Saturday
Practice 14:00 local time - 10:00 GMT
Qualifying 17:00 local time - 13:00 GMT

Sunday
Race 17:00 local time - 13:00 GMT

For the latest Formula 1 News check out the F1 news page
Last edited by Ed on Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

cmlean

Post by cmlean » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:42 am

So who will stop Vettel winning this GP? This man is so intune with his machine that I can't see it happening. He pushes his car to its limits only twice in the weekend. Once in the final session of qualifying and usually on the last lap of the race. The rest of his time is spent managing the weekend and doesn't he do it well.
So the battle for the minors.
Jenson Button is about the only driver who seems to be able to modify strategy to enable him to get close. As far as consistency for the season, he is driving as well as Sebastian, but the Red Bull is such a great race package.
Mark Webber really hasn't hit the sweet spot for the car or maybe he doesn't push the car to the same limits as his team mate.
Lewis Hamilton hasn't seemed to had his mind on the job this season. Yes he has had some good drives but I feel life outside the cockpit has also had influences on his performances throughout the year.
Fernando Alonso has driven the wheels off the Ferrari this season but it isn't in the same ballpark as the Red Bulls and McLarens. Again, he has put in some spirited drives this year but consistency wins the World Championship and this seasons Ferrari isn't there.
Filipe Massa is starting to show that he has the speed and confidence again after the his unfortunate accident but again this years Ferrari is not giving him the opportunity to allow him to get to the podium.

I'll leave it at that.

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:28 am

Qualifying results from Abu Dhabi

Vettel on Pole with a 1:38.481 from Hamilton (1:38.622), Button (1:38.631), Webber (1:38.858), Alonso (1:39.058), Massa (1:39.695), Rosberg (1:39.773), Schumacher (1:40.662), Sutil (1:40.768) and di Resta (no time)

11th to 24th: Perez, Petrov, Buemi, Senna, Alguersuari, Kobayashi, Maldonado, Kovalainen, Trulli, Glock, Ricciardo, d'Ambrosio, Liuzzi and Barrichello.

Note that Maldonado will drop 10 places on the grid due to using a 9th engine.

Thaddeus
F1 Tester
F1 Tester

Post by Thaddeus » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:19 pm

Although I agree Vettel's in great shape and has a fantastic car, I really wouldn't write off either McLaren driver. As you said, Button's very reliable and a great thinker, and I believe that Hamilton's getting himself back in order. Now that the season's written off he may become demob happy.

I can't see anyone else competing for the win. Webber will go backwards off the line, probably, and he sometimes has tyre wear issues. Alonso's still a great driver but his car just isn't quick enough. I hope that next season other constructors, especially Mercedes, put together cars that are closer to or better than the Red Bull. I like Vettel, but I like closer contests more.

Anyway, for the race I'd love for the McLarens to both pass Vettel off the line.

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:54 pm

If you look at the qualifying times, Hamilton's time in Q2 is quicker than that of Vettel's Pole. Hamilton should have gotten Pole here but his personal issues are letting him down and he isn't being 100% when it counts. Hamilton should win this race however I doubt this will happen. Expect it to be a fight between Vettel and Button with Alonso once again fighting for a podium finish.

Lets hope the DRS zones work and make this race an exciting one.

Not much more to go!

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:58 am

Hamilton wins the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix from Fernando Alonso. Sebastian Vettel suffered from a puncture on the first lap and retired.

Jenson Button finished a distant 3rd ahead of Mark Webber, Felipe Massa, Nico Rosberg and Michael Schumacher

Race result:
Hamilton
Alonso (+8.4)
Button (+25.8 )
Webber (+35.7)
Massa (+50.5)
Rosberg (+52.3)
Schumacher (+75.9)
Sutil (+77.1)
di Resta
Kobayashi (+1 lap)
Perez (+1 lap)
Barrichello (+1 lap)
Perez (+1 lap)
Maldonado (+1 lap)
Alguersuari (+1 lap)
Senna (+1 lap)
Kovalainen (+1 lap)
Trulli (+2 laps)
Glock (+2 laps)
Liuzzi (+2 laps)

Retirements:
Ricciardo
Buemi
d'Ambrosio
Vettel

Thaddeus
F1 Tester
F1 Tester

Post by Thaddeus » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:11 am

Put Alonso down as Driver of the Day. Whilst Hamilton drove a great race and Button did well to handle the KERS problem I think Alonso dragging a car that really shouldn't be getting second to that position is more impressive.

jacfan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jacfan » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:36 am

Amazing!! Who would have predicted the wonder kid would be out on lap one?
Well done by Lewis to get it all together this weekend. Nice to see him looking happy for a change.
Pity Jenson had kers problems... would have been an interesting race between them.
Alonso did well to get on the podium.

DotD....hmmmm I think I will give that to Lewis for putting all his personal problems behind for the weekend and actually sounding happy for a change.
Holy crap on a cracker! Image
Number one idiot for 2007!!!!!
2008 Round of France winner!!! Wooooooohoooo!!!!!!
2010 Round of Britian winner!!!!!!