The 2012 Challengers: The Toro Rosso STR7

Discuss all the aspects of the Formula 1 sport here

Moderators: cmlean, Ed, The Qualiflyer, The Heretic

What do you expect from Toro Rosso in 2012 ?

They will improve to 7th or 6th in the Constructors'
73%
They will finish eighth just as they did in 2011
27%
They will struggle and drop back to ninth or tenth
No votes

Total votes: 11

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

The 2012 Challengers: The Toro Rosso STR7

Post by Ed » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:30 pm

Toro Rosso launched their 2012 challenger at Jerez with an all new driver lineup

(more images below)

The wraps come off STR7

As the sun set on the Jerez de la Frontera circuit in southern Spain this evening, the spotlight turned to the Scuderia Toro Rosso garage as team sponsor CEPSA hosted the unveiling of the STR7. Taking the wraps off the new car that will defend the team’s colours in this year’s Formula 1 World Championship were the team’s drivers, Daniel Ricciardo and Jean-Eric Vergne, with help from CEPSA Co-Chairman, Santiago Bergareche.

The STR7, as its name implies, is the seventh car to bear the Scuderia Toro Rosso name in Formula 1 and is actually the third to be conceived and designed entirely in-house in Faenza and at the wind tunnel facility in Bicester, UK.

Santiago Bergareche: “The launch of this new car and our continued support of the team is a pivotal moment for CEPSA. It represents a major leap forward in our international expansion as Scuderia Toro Rosso will carry our name around the globe while it tackles the 2012 World Championship. CEPSA is a firm supporter of Formula 1, the very highest level of motor sport, because it represents the best possible showcase for technology and innovation in our sphere of activity. We at CEPSA, believe that Scuderia Toro Rosso shares many of our values and we look forward to enjoying a successful and mutually beneficial partnership throughout the year.”

Franz Tost: “A new car unveiled by two new drivers. The day before testing starts, we can claim to know more about the drivers than the car! It’s too early to make predictions for the coming season, although clearly our aim is to score more points and finish higher in the championship than in 2011. The team has continued to expand over the past year in terms of our facility in Faenza and also in the number of staff who work there, so we are in better shape than at any time in our seven year history.”

Daniel Ricciardo: “The car definitely looks sexy. And it’s a bit emotional actually, seeing the first F1 car that will be mine to drive from the start of the season. With the new nose, it’s not exactly beautiful, but I’d rather have a quick car than a pretty one. Now I can’t wait to drive it tomorrow, when I don’t think I’ll need an alarm clock to wake up to start the day.”

Jean-Eric Vergne: “After the testing and all the work in the simulator, being here in Jerez unveiling the car, I feel like this is the real start to my Formula 1 career. It’s very exciting and the next two days are going to seem much too long, while I wait to get behind the wheel of the new car on Thursday and Friday.”