The 2012 Singapore Grand Prix Thread

Discuss all the aspects of the Formula 1 sport here

Moderators: cmlean, Ed, The Qualiflyer, The Heretic

Singapore Grand Prix - Driver of the day ?

Sebastian Vettel
1%
Jenson Button
1%
Fernando Alonso
9%
Paul di Resta
39%
Nico Rosberg
No votes
Kimi Raikkonen
7%
Romain Grosjean
1%
Felipe Massa
33%
Daniel Ricciardo
7%
Mark Webber
3%

Total votes: 101

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

The 2012 Singapore Grand Prix Thread

Post by Ed » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:37 pm

This is the place to discuss everything related to the fourteenth round of the 2012 season taking place at the Singapore street circuit between the 21st and the 23rd of September.

To submit your 10 'n' Pole Picks for Singapore click here, to register in the competition click here

Track Layout

The event timetable for the Singapore Grand Prix.

Friday
1st Practice 18:00 local time - 10:00 GMT
2nd Practice 21:30 local time - 13:30 GMT

Saturday
Practice 17:00 local time - 09:00 GMT
Qualifying 20:00 local time - 12:00 GMT

Sunday
Race 20:00 local time - 12:00 GMT

For the latest Formula 1 News check out the F1 news page
Last edited by Ed on Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thaddeus
F1 Tester
F1 Tester

Post by Thaddeus » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:23 am

Went for Massa as driver of the day. After a puncture and pit stop on lap 1 to finish 8th on a circuit where passing is pretty hard is an impressive performance.

Must say that I really dislike the tedious track of Singapore. Too slow, passing's too hard, a safety car is practically certain. I don't care about a nice skyline, I want an exciting race. A single lap of Spa is more entertaining than the entire Singapore Grand Prix.

jido
F1 Tester
F1 Tester

Post by jido » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:40 pm

After deliberation, went for Massa too. Nice to see him race his skin off. I hope to see more of this :)

I saw some other impressive drives, Hamilton, Vettel on the front line, Alonso, Maldonado...

Did not find the race boring. Good job on the strategy for several teams. Both friendly and aggressive passing.

Too bad for Webber, but these are the rules :/

Thaddeus
F1 Tester
F1 Tester

Post by Thaddeus » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:28 pm

I think Webber's out of it. He's had 16 points in the last 5 races, compared to 65-66 for the top 3 and 69 for Button. Hamilton's had 50 (he's got the speed but the McLaren now seems too fragile).

The strategy is interesting, I grant, but racing should be at least as much about top speed and on-track passing as it is about tyre management.

Hopefully Massa can do enough to retain his seat. He had an awful start to the season but has been driving well recently. My spies report (ok, I heard James Allen say it during a practice session) Ferrari are thinking of a one year replacement for Massa until Vettel can jump ship and might go for someone like Kovalainen. I'd keep Massa over Kovalainen. There's no point changing for the Finn, who was really rather rubbish compared to Hamilton when they were team mates (admittedly, Massa isn't troubling Alonso, but why change drivers to maintain a status quo?).

jacfan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jacfan » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:07 pm

Oh lordy!!! I think I might have to give up on Mark. He just doesn't seem to pull it all together.

Great job by Massa. What on earth does MS think he is doing???
I think if you are going to ban Grosjean for one race for his accident then surely the same should apply in this case. Very stupid mistake for one who has been in the game for the time he has. IMHO!! Before you all decide I need to be hung, drawn and quartered for this blasphemous comment. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Holy crap on a cracker! Image
Number one idiot for 2007!!!!!
2008 Round of France winner!!! Wooooooohoooo!!!!!!
2010 Round of Britian winner!!!!!!

Thaddeus
F1 Tester
F1 Tester

Post by Thaddeus » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:18 am

I think that's very over the top. It was a mistake (of which he's made 2 this season that are of this nature, including this one) and he's got a 10 place grid penalty.

Grosjean had failed to finish half the first laps of the season due to crashing (although I think Maldonado is a worse offender).

jacfan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jacfan » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:41 pm

Thaddeus wrote:I think that's very over the top. It was a mistake (of which he's made 2 this season that are of this nature, including this one) and he's got a 10 place grid penalty.

Grosjean had failed to finish half the first laps of the season due to crashing (although I think Maldonado is a worse offender).
Sorry I didn't read about the 10 place grid penalty until after I had posted... my bad.
Not sure what part of the post was over the top. However given that Grosjean is relatively new to F1 while Schumi
has a long career in F1 I still stand by my original statement. Either that or Grosjean's penalty was over the top.
Only my opinion.

christianfox
Getting Started
Getting Started

Post by christianfox » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:28 pm

[Content Removed] - Ed

jacfan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jacfan » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:31 am

Sorry Christianfox but this particular thread is to comment on the Singapore GP. Not sure if you are commenting on F1 or just trying to put an ad here.