Drivers/Teams of the season

Discuss all the aspects of the Formula 1 sport here

Moderators: cmlean, Ed, The Qualiflyer, The Heretic

Thaddeus
F1 Tester
F1 Tester

Drivers/Teams of the season

Post by Thaddeus » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:34 am

Hope it's ok for me to make a thread here.

I'm sure the Vettel/Alonso debate, and the Newey Effect, will be debated a lot, but I thought it'd be interesting to discuss the teams and drivers of the season more widely.

I think Hamilton's points tally doesn't reflect his strong driving this year. He's suffered great misfortune, from dodgy pit stops to a fuel error from the team and seriously poor reliability in the latter half of the season. He should've been in the title hunt, based on his strong drives.

I think Sauber had a great season overall, though it tailed off a bit towards the end (somewhat due to Perez making mistakes nearer the end of the season).

Similarly, Lotus really hit the ground running, and Raikkonen's (after Alonso and Hamilton) probably had the best season from a driving perspective. He's only failed to score in one race, I think, and finished every single one.

It'll be really interesting to see how Perez, Hamilton and Hulkenberg do at their new teams next year.

Axey
Go Kart Racer
Go Kart Racer

Post by Axey » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:41 pm

I think a mention has to be said about Glock. Yes he has a poor machine but he always goes out there and does a great job.

Pic also did a fantastic job this year in his rookie season.

I think generally Marussia actually did a great job this season better than either or the other 2 new teams development wise.
Sauber FTW
Massa FTW
any ex Sauber driver FTW
Perez and Koboyashi FTW
btw did i mention i like Sauber

Thaddeus
F1 Tester
F1 Tester

Post by Thaddeus » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:35 am

Yeah, I've heard that Pic really punched above his weight.

Must be mentioned that Marussia just lost out, at the final race, on 10th place to Caterham, losing millions in Constructors' prize money.

Hopefully they'll get KERS fitted next season. I hope both can progress to score some points, and stop being just backmarkers.

Axey
Go Kart Racer
Go Kart Racer

Post by Axey » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:53 am

Marussia deserved 10th place. They had no kers all year but still developed much better than Caterham which is the team who was predicted to make the midfield but again didn't.
Sauber FTW
Massa FTW
any ex Sauber driver FTW
Perez and Koboyashi FTW
btw did i mention i like Sauber