The 2013 Challengers: The Force India VJM06

Discuss all the aspects of the Formula 1 sport here

Moderators: cmlean, Ed, The Qualiflyer, The Heretic

What do you expect from Force India F1 in 2013 ?

They will improve on 2012 and finish 6th or higher in the Constructors'
No votes
They will finish seventh just as they did in 2012
No votes
They will struggle and drop back to eighth or ninth
100%

Total votes: 1

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

The 2013 Challengers: The Force India VJM06

Post by Ed » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:53 pm

Sahara Force India unveils the VJM06 at Silverstone

1 February 2013 - Sahara Force India unveiled its 2013 challenger today as Paul Di Resta pulled the covers off the VJM06 at Silverstone circuit.

The VJM06 is the third car to be overseen by Technical Director, Andrew Green, and builds on the strengths of the 2012 car. With stable technical rules the car is more evolution than revolution with the removal of the ‘step’ nose being the most obvious visual change.

“The VJM06 doesn’t look massively different to its predecessor, but beneath the skin we’ve looked at every detail to try and find more performance,” says Team Principal, Dr Vijay Mallya. “I’ve followed the development of the car closely and I’m proud of what we have achieved. The objective now is to make sure we build on the promise of last year and have a strong start to the season.”

Summing up the approach to the design of the VJM06, Andrew Green said: “It’s a brand new car from the ground-up – everything is new. We discussed carrying over big chunks of last year’s car, including the chassis, but decided not to. There were still some gains to be had with the chassis, so we elected to take the performance benefits. The biggest change that everybody is going to notice this year is the fairing on top of the nose to hide the 'step'. It’s neutral as far as the car’s performance is concerned but tidies up the flow over the top of the chassis.”

Chief Operating Officer, Otmar Szafnauer, praised the team’s efforts over the winter to develop the VJM06: “We’re very optimistic. We’ve been working hard over the winter, trying to make improvements where we know we can find performance. Everything has come together very nicely. We’ve also focussed on operational strength by bolstering our simulator programme and increasing our CFD capacity with new hardware.”

Paul Di Resta, half of the team’s 2013 line-up, was delighted to see his new car: “Seeing the car built and complete for the first time is a special feeling. I’ve followed its progress in the tunnel and it looks very impressive - aggressive and fast. Now I’m just eager to get out there and see where we stand compared to our competitors. After the winter I feel refreshed and keen to get back to business.”

The Sahara Force India cars will be powered by Mercedes engines with the gearbox supplied by McLaren Applied Technologies for a fifth season. This will be the third season with the Mercedes KERS.

Thaddeus
F1 Tester
F1 Tester

Post by Thaddeus » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:24 am

Incidentally, cheers for providing all this info and the polls.

I suspect money worries will hurt them, as will Hulkenberg's absence. Williams could pick them off, and I think they'll drop back.