Test 2 Day 4
Code: Select all
1 Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari 1:18.634
2 Max Verstappen Red Bull 1:19.438
3 Carlos Sainz Jr Toro Rosso 1:19.837
4 Valtteri Bottas Mercedes 1:19.845
5 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 1:19.850
6 Nico Hulkenberg Renault 1:19.885
7 Sergio Perez Force India 1:20.116
8 Jolyon Palmer Renault 1:20.205
9 Lance Stroll Williams 1:20.335
10 Fernando Alonso McLaren 1:21.389
11 Romain Grosjean Haas 1:21.389
12 Marcus Ericsson Sauber 1:21.670
13 Pascal Wehrlein Sauber 1:23.527
So, pre-season testing has been completed and what have we learned?
1. Mercedes are still the benchmark, but not as dominant as previous seasons.
2. Ferrari look to be next in the pecking order however the lap time by Kimi on the last day was sensational.
3. Red Bull are again in the ball park.
These 3 teams will again dominate the podium positions in 2017.
4. The next group of Force India, Williams, Toro Rosso will control the mid field.
5. Renault, Haas, Sauber and McLaren should be in the lower end of the field.
Now, the problems in these scenarios.
McLaren need to solve their engine issues.
If Honda get their act together, the McLaren chassis with Alonso and Vandoorne can get results.
Renault has had reliability issues throughout the tests across all their supplied teams. For Red Bull, Toro Rosso and Renault, this could hamper all their title aspirations.
This will, in 2017, be primarily a one driver supported team. Yes, Lance Stroll will improve throughout the season but points by him will be hard to come by.
Well, these are my ramblings. What say you?