The Atlantic Championship--A Racing Legacy

All about the IRL Indy Pro Series and the Atlantic Championship

Moderators: Ed, mlittle

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Re: Newman-Haas testing drivers for Atlantic squad

Post by Julian Mayo » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:16 am

mlittle wrote:For the upcoming 2006 CCAC season, it will be a shootout for the new Newman-Wachs Racing Atlantic team, as they will be testing several young guns for their 2-car team this year, at Moroso Mtrspts. Park in early Feb. 2006. Currently set to test for the team, co-owned by NHR co-owner Paul Newman and close associate and former racer Eddie Wachs are: 1}2005 Atlantic runner-up Tonis Kasemets, 2}2005 IRL IndyPro Series driver Phil Giebler(who finished 8th at San Jose in the 2005 Atlantics race), and 3}Alan Sciuto(who became the youngest pole-winner in Atlantics history at Denver). My guess.....chances are Giebler and Sciuto will fight for 1 seat, and Giebler and Kasemets will fight for the other.

2 other drivers, American Tony Loniewski and Brazilian Christiano "Tuka" Rocha are also expected to test; however, the first three mentioned have the best shots at the seats at the moment.
Daniel Gaunt and D'Agostino have the seats according to sources here in Australia.
And just who the hell is Daniel Gaunt you ask ?
A New Zealander who is currently dominating the extremely competitve Toyota Racing series, has won the F4000 Championship, and CAMS Goldstar
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Delivery of new Atlantics cars set for March 8th

Post by mlittle » Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:00 pm

As the motorsports calender marches on, one thing is certain.....Atlantic Championship teams are set to receive their new Swift 016.a/Mazda-Cosworth Atlantics racecars on Wednesday, March 8th. Atlantic series officials and officials with Swift Engineering, Inc. both confirmed that 40 Atlantics cars will be either hand-delivered to teams or will be picked up at the San Clemente, Ca. based facility by the teams. They will then have around two weeks or so to prepare for an open test session on March 21-22 at the California Speedway road course before heading to long Beach for the season opener on April 9th.
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Re: Newman-Haas testing drivers for Atlantic squad

Post by mlittle » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:10 am

Julian Mayo wrote:
mlittle wrote:For the upcoming 2006 CCAC season, it will be a shootout for the new Newman-Wachs Racing Atlantic team, as they will be testing several young guns for their 2-car team this year, at Moroso Mtrspts. Park in early Feb. 2006. Currently set to test for the team, co-owned by NHR co-owner Paul Newman and close associate and former racer Eddie Wachs are: 1}2005 Atlantic runner-up Tonis Kasemets, 2}2005 IRL IndyPro Series driver Phil Giebler(who finished 8th at San Jose in the 2005 Atlantics race), and 3}Alan Sciuto(who became the youngest pole-winner in Atlantics history at Denver). My guess.....chances are Giebler and Sciuto will fight for 1 seat, and Giebler and Kasemets will fight for the other.

2 other drivers, American Tony Loniewski and Brazilian Christiano "Tuka" Rocha are also expected to test; however, the first three mentioned have the best shots at the seats at the moment.
Daniel Gaunt and D'Agostino have the seats according to sources here in Australia.
And just who the hell is Daniel Gaunt you ask ?
A New Zealander who is currently dominating the extremely competitve Toyota Racing series, has won the F4000 Championship, and CAMS Goldstar

Sorry, Julian......I was about two weeks ahead of you on that one.... :lol: :lol: 8) :shock: :shock: :lol:

It should be posted about 2/3-3/4ths of the way down on pg.7 of this thread.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Driver Lineup, 2006 CC Atlantic Championship

Post by mlittle » Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:44 pm

Here is the current lineup of drivers who will compete in the 2006 Champ Car Atlantic Championship......

PR1 Motorsports: Jonathon Bomarito, Mike Forest
Jensen Motorsports: Tim Bridgman
UNICO Racing: C.R. Crews
Newman-Wachs Racing: Joe D'Agostino, Daniel Gaunt
Team Australia: James Davison, Simon Pagenaud
FCR-Atlantic: James Hinchliffe, Leonardo Maia, Richard Phillipe, Andreas Wirth
Bite Racing: Ben Jamini, Chris Souliotis, Duncan Ende
McAtee Motorsports: Kyle Kelley, Brian McAtee
Sierra Sierra Enterprises: Raphael Matos
Gelles Racing: Robbie Pecorari, Stephen Simpson
MiJack-Conquest Racing: Graham Rahal
Brooks Assoc. Racing: Luis Schiavo, Norbert Siedler
Polestar Racing: Alan Scuito, Alex Barron
The Room Store: Dan Selznick
Mathiasen Motorsports: Justin Sofio
NCDL Tech: Ryan Spencer-Smith
Transnet Racing: Charles Hall
Condor Motorsports: Danilo Dirani
Last edited by mlittle on Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:26 am, edited 3 times in total.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Barron returning to Atlantic Championship

Post by mlittle » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:16 pm

After competing in both Champ Car and the Indy Racing League, former Cheever Racing driver Alex Barron is returning to familiar territory, as he recently signed a contract to race for Polestar Racing alongside rising Atlantics driver Alan Sciuto. In making the annoucement, Barron, who spent nearly a decade in both top-level series, said he made the decision for a couple of reasons......
Racing is about being at the right place at the right time and, unfortunately, I've just missed out. The IRL runs so many big ovals and, if you didn't have a Honda, you were lucky to be in the top 10. As long as you could lift off the throttle, that helped, but not many tracks are like that. And there are four really good teams in each series and if you're not with one of them, it's difficult. I talked to a few IRL and Champ Car teams but they weren't teams that could win a championship. They would be running for 10th and I've done enough of that the past five years.
That last bit is an understatement for Barron; after coming close to victory lane at Surfers and Fontana for Dale Coyne Racing(CC), he switched series and scored wins at Nashville(Blair Racing) and Michigan(Mo Nunn Racing-sub for injured Felipe Giaffone). Then he spent two very uncompetitive years w/then Red Bull/Cheever Racing, being released after Fontana this year when Red Bull pulled their sponsorship, effectively ending Cheever's IRL program. Of course, there was one other reason Barron spoke of.....the $2 million USD prize that goes to the Atlantic winner in 2006, which could help bankroll a 2007 CCWS ride.
I'd like to return to Champ Car; I miss road racing. But I still want to try and find something for this year's Indianapolis 500, I just want it to be with a team that's got a lot of experience at Indy. Winning is going to be my primary objective and I want to get back to ChampCar or IndyCar if possible.
While Barron will likely the most experienced driver in the Atlantics' grid for 2006, he likely is the happiest one on the grid. 8) 8) :)