Renault F1

Formula 1 Team reports for the 2009 F1 season includes race previews, reports and reviews
Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:17 pm

Belgian Grand Prix 2009 Preview

The ING Renault F1 Team looks forward to round twelve of the season, the Belgian Grand Prix at Spa-Francorchamps.

Fernando Alonso: "Determined to keep pushing hard"

Fernando, you came away from Valencia with three points – do you feel you got the most from the weekend?
We were certainly disappointed after qualifying as we thought we had the pace to be higher up the grid, but we had an issue with the brakes and all the teams are so competitive this year that every tenth counts and qualifying is especially tight. We were happier with the performance of the car in the race and to come away with three points was not a bad result considering that we started eighth. I would have loved to reward my Spanish fans with a better result, but being totally honest I think we got the maximum that we could from the race.

Spa is one of your favourite tracks – what makes it so special?
It's one of the traditional circuits that has a lot of history and a special atmosphere. All the drivers love to race there and it's the greatest driving challenge of the year. The high-speed corners are amazing, especially Eau Rouge and Pouhon, and it's always a pleasure to drive there in an F1 car.

What are you expectations for the weekend?
Spa is a circuit where you need a complete car because it's a very long lap and you need to find a set-up to cope with a lot of different challenges. There are quick corners, slow corners and long straights where you need good top speed to overtake or defend position, especially on the approach to Les Combes. Our car has been strong in the last few races so I think we can be quick in Spa too where I will continue pushing hard.

Romain Grosjean: "Spa is one of the classic circuits of the world"

Romain, you made your Grand Prix debut in Valencia – did you enjoy your first race?
Yes, it was very exciting for me; I enjoyed every second of my first race I want to say a big ‘thank you' to the team for their support and help through the weekend. Everything was new and I had to learn quickly, but I managed to get comfortable with the car and gradually built my confidence over the weekend. Overall I was pleased with my performance and glad to finish the race and gain some experience. When I crossed the line all my mechanics were on the pit wall cheering me on, which made me really happy. My aim now is to continue in the same way this weekend, working well with my engineers and making progress.

How did you spend the days after your first Grand Prix?
I stayed in Valencia for a day to enjoy the city and get some rest before I went home to Geneva. Then on Tuesday I went back to work at the bank* to keep in touch with reality! I think it's important to continue like this as I enjoy working there and this routine has always worked well for me in the past.

*Romain works part-time at a bank in Geneva

Is Spa-Francorchamps a circuit that you know well?
Yes, it's one of my favourites and I know it very well as I won the GP2 feature race there last year. Spa is one of the classic circuits of the world and I can't wait to experience corners like Eau Rouge in my F1 car. After a street circuit, it will be nice to go to a more traditional track with fast, flowing corners as I continue to learn about the R29.

What's your target this weekend?
So far the team has been very helpful and not put any pressure on me, but I would like to be more competitive in Spa and closer to Fernando. I know that I still have a lot to learn and so I will take things one day at a time and see how I feel after free practice before I start setting myself objectives. You also have to remember that in Spa the weather can be unpredictable and there's usually a chance of rain so we need to be ready to react quickly to any opportunities in the race.

Bob Bell: "We can be just as competitive in Spa"
The team's Technical Director looks forward to this weekend's race.

Bob, Fernando picked up three points in Valencia – were you satisfied with that?
It was good to be back in the points, but overall we were disappointed as we had hoped for more from the weekend and believe we could have been fighting for a podium. Fernando was quick in practice and we were quite confident that he had the potential to get on the front row in qualifying, but unfortunately he had a brake problem which meant he started eighth. To make up two places in the race on a street circuit where overtaking is difficult was probably as much as we could have hoped for from the race.

Romain Grosjean made his debut for the team – how did you assess his performance?
Romain did an excellent job during his first Grand Prix. He settled in very well with the team, has a good relationship with the engineers and was sensible and consistent, which is as much as we could expect of anybody making their debut with little Formula One experience. I'm sure he'll continue to mature and progress with each of the remaining races.

Tell us about the technical challenge of Spa and how you expect the R29 to perform...
It's a technical circuit with a wide range of challenges: both high and low-speed. We haven't got the quickest car on the grid, but that's because the R29 is still missing a little bit of performance in all areas rather than a specific weakness that is likely to show up at certain circuits. Based on our performance in recent races, I'd expect to see a similar level of competitiveness in Spa.

What new developments will be on the car this weekend and is the team planning to use KERS?
We're always adding new developments and for the next couple of races we'll be using a low downforce package on the car. As for KERS, we don't plan to use it in Spa, but we're considering it for Monza as we believe it will provide a real advantage there.

How is the team balancing the development of the R29 with next year's car?
Pushing the development of the R29 late into the season while also working on the R30 is stretching our resources to the limit. We're managing things on a week-by-week basis and gradually allocating more and more resources onto next year's car whist still pushing hard to improve the R29. We're fortunate that the aerodynamic regulations next year remain the same and we can transfer what we learn from the R30 onto the current car, but it's fair to say that the majority of the effort is now going into next year's car.

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:08 am

2009 Belgian Grand Prix Friday - 28 AUG 2009

The ING Renault F1 Team completed a busy day of practice in preparation for this weekend's Belgian Grand Prix.

Fernando Alonso, R2904
Free practice 1: 13 laps, 1:50.368 on lap 3, P3
Run 1: 3 laps, set of new hard tyres
Run 2: 4 laps, set of new rain tyres
Run 3: 5 laps, set of new intermediate tyres

Free Practice 2: 30 laps, 1:47.862 on lap 23, P14
Run 1: 2 laps, set of scrubbed hard tyres
Run 2: 9 laps, set of new hard tyres
Run 3: 9 laps, set of new soft tyres
Run 4: 4 laps, set of new soft tyres, adjustment to rear suspension
Run 5: 5 laps, set of scrubbed soft tyres, adjustment to rear wing

Fernando: "We did quite a few laps today, especially in P2. In P1 we were affected quite a lot by the rain, but in the afternoon we were able to concentrate on evaluating the tyres and we are happy with the balance we have with the car. Tomorrow it will be an important qualifying session because we are all determined to get a good result this weekend, so most importantly we would like a good grid position tomorrow."

Romain Grosjean, R2903
Free practice 1: 13 laps, 2:05.513 on lap 11, P13
2 installation laps on new hard tyres
Run 1: 6 laps, set of new rain tyres
Run 2: 5 laps, same set of rain tyres

Free Practice 2: 34 laps, 1:47.333 on lap 31, P5
Run 1: 2 laps, set of scrubbed hard tyres
Run 2: 12 laps, set of new soft tyres
Run 3: 9 laps, set of new hard tyres
Run 4: 4 laps, same set of tyres, adjustment to front wing
Run 5: 6 laps, set of new soft tyres

Romain: "Today was very interesting as we had wet and dry conditions as is quite normal for Spa. Once again Fernando has been very helpful and comparing my data with his data really helped me today as I could see where I needed to improve. In the afternoon session we concentrated on testing the two types of tyre and I managed to do over 30 laps so I think we are quite well prepared for tomorrow."

Pat Symonds, Executive Director of Engineering
"It was a productive day. This morning of course was interrupted by rain, but it gave us a chance to look at the car in wet conditions and it gave Romain a chance to drive an F1 car in the wet. In the afternoon, we concentrated on evaluating the tyres which are so important here in Spa. I'm pleased with the progress we have made and happy with the balance of the car. All in all, it has been a successful Friday."

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:55 am

2009 Belgian Grand Prix Saturday - 29 AUG 2009

Today's qualifying session in Spa saw Fernando Alonso and Romain Grosjean qualify in 13th and 19th places respectively for tomorrow's Belgian Grand Prix.

QUALIFYING

Fernando Alonso, R2904, P13, 1:45.707

Fernando: "Today we just weren't competitive enough and we struggled in both Q1 and Q2 where I did my maximum but still missed out. However, it was an unusual session today as we had big competitors knocked out in Q2. Tomorrow this should make for an interesting race and then there is always the weather which may play a role. So we will not give up and will do our best to fight back tomorrow."

Romain Grosjean, R2903, P19, 1:46.359

Romain: "It was a difficult session today as there was a lot of traffic. I was blocked on a couple of my quick laps by a Toro Rosso and then my last quick lap was ruined by the yellow flag. However, the car has been good all weekend and I really love this circuit so I will give my maximum to move forward, finish the race and gain more experience."

"Today we have seen a very unusual grid formed and unfortunately we are not in the right part of it. It has been difficult to understand where the performance is this weekend because the lap times of the cars are all very close. Fernando just missed out on Q3 and Romain had some issues with traffic. We must now have a look to see whether we can use strategy to gain some points tomorrow."

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:10 am

2009 Belgian Grand Prix Sunday - 30 AUG 2009

It was a frustrating afternoon for the ING Renault F1 Team as both Fernando Alonso and Romain Grosjean retired from the Belgian Grand Prix at Spa-Francorchamps. The team's attention now turns to the Italian Grand Prix at Monza in two weeks time.

Fernando Alonso, R2904, DNF
"Today I missed an opportunity to be on the podium. I had a good start, making up a few positions and the strategy looked good. The car was better than we expected and I was in third position when I came in for my pit stop and it became clear that something was wrong on my left front tyre and the team asked me to retire. We now think it was damaged at the first corner at the beginning of the race. Anyway, Monza is in two weeks and I look forward to making up for the disappointment of today. "

Romain Grosjean, R2903, DNF
"I made a very good start, moving up to thirteenth place and I was keeping a good pace but then Button took me out at turn five and it was the end for me. It's frustrating because I would have loved to finish the race and learn more about the car on this very special track. Hopefully I can do better in Monza."

Flavio Briatore, Managing Director
"Today we took the decision of retiring Fernando's car although he was very competitive in the first part of the race. It's frustrating also that Romain's race came to an end so quickly. Let's turn the page and move on and concentrate on Monza in two weeks time."

"Romain's race was unfortunately very short as he was hit by Button on the first lap, which is a pity because this race would have been a valuable part of his learning experience. Fernando's race was ultimately ended by damage sustained also on the first lap. This resulted in a problem at the pit stop and for safety reasons we decided to retire the car."

Remi Taffin, Head of Engine Operations
"Unfortunately for us the weekend has ended in disappointment. On the engine side the weekend has gone very well and we haven't encountered any problems. We always come to Spa well prepared as it is a circuit that presents a lot of challenges. It is the type of track that we simulated over the winter on the test banks and we proved that we had done a good job. Therefore we can now face Monza with the same engines that have performed perfectly here."

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:41 pm

Italian Grand Prix 2009 Preview

The ING Renault F1 Team looks forward to round thirteen of the season, the Italian Grand Prix at Monza.

Fernando Alonso: "I believe we can finish the year strongly"

Fernando, it was a disappointing weekend in Spa – tell us about your race...
It was very frustrating as we missed another good opportunity to fight for a podium and score important points. It's true that we were missing pace in qualifying, but the car was more competitive in the race and things were looking good until my first pitstop when it became clear that the car was damaged.

Do you think your luck will change in Monza?
I hope so because we have a competitive car but we haven't been able to show the true potential so far. We saw how quick the car was at the Nurburgring, Budapest and Valencia, but for various reasons we haven't scored the points that we should have. However, I always look forward, try to stay positive and will approach the rest of the season believing that we can finish the year strongly. At least we know that we have a car that is fast enough to get close to the podium, which will be my aim this weekend in Monza.

Tell us about the challenge of racing at Monza?
It's a special track and the fastest of the year so we run the car with a special low downforce package which means the car feels very strange and light because you miss a bit of grip in the corners. In the past we used to test at Monza before the race as you need a special set-up with the car, but obviously we can't do that now which means we have a lot of work to do on Friday to find a good balance. You need a car that has good straight-line speed, is stable under braking and can use the curbs in the chicanes.

Romain Grosjean: "I'm looking forward to driving in Monza"

Romain, Spa was only your second Grand Prix, but it was short-lived...
Yes, my race was very disappointing. I had some problems in qualifying so I started at the back of the grid, but at the start of the race things were looking good as I made up five or six places on the first lap. Then I got caught up in the incident at turn five. It was frustrating to retire so early as I need as much time in the car as possible and I really wanted to finish my first race at Spa, which is a circuit that I love.

What do you think of Monza?
It's another classic track and I'm really looking forward to driving there. I've had good results there in the past and I know the track well so I can concentrate on finding a good balance with the car with low downforce. We will be using KERS this weekend so I will need to get used to that during free practice on Friday as I've not used it before, but it should give us an advantage, especially at the start of the race.

Have you set an objective for this weekend?
My aim is to do better than I did in Spa so I need to make it through to at least Q2, get a good grid position and finish the race. At the moment I am still learning about Formula One and I will continue to use every opportunity and every lap to improve as a driver and help the team. I'm continuing to build a good relationship with my engineers, which of course plays an important role in getting the most from the car.

Pat Symonds: "The team is competitive, the drivers are motivated and the car continues to improve"

Pat, a promising Belgian Grand Prix ended in disappointment. Sum up the team's weekend for us...
The Belgian Grand Prix was one of the most puzzling races I've been to for a long time and it was very odd to see a grid that was so mixed up. However, we tried to make the most of it and although it was unfortunate to lose Romain so early in the race, Fernando had the potential to have a good race and looked strong in the early laps. He was fuelled for a long first stint and the car seemed to be working well despite the damage that had occurred on the first lap, which had reduced the car's downforce. Unfortunately at the first pitstop we realised the car was damaged and Fernando had to retire.

Are you pleased with how Romain is progressing as a Formula One driver?
His first race in Valencia impressed me a lot as he continually improved; found the limits of the car; kept out of trouble and had a solid race. In Spa I was impressed with him again, particularly in the wet free practice because it was the first time he had driven a Formula One car in the wet. In qualifying he didn't get a perfect lap and was unlucky with traffic, and then in the race he got caught up in the incident with Button. That was a shame as it would have been valuable for him to gain some more experience in racing conditions.

The team plans to use KERS in Monza. Why will it be such an advantage there?
There are three aspects of KERS that need to be considered: lap time, the advantage it gives from the start, and the ability to assist overtaking. Firstly, the gain in lap time of running KERS in Monza is likely to be around a quarter of a second and it's worth even more in qualifying as you can do one release before you start a timed lap and another release during the timed lap. In terms of the advantage at the start, it's a long way from the grid to the first corner in Monza and KERS will give an advantage of well over fifteen metres compared with non-KERS cars. For assisting overtaking, you have to remember that Monza is a circuit where it's very difficult to overtake, but running KERS certainly won't disadvantage us in that respect. All these factors combine to make Monza a very favourable circuit for KERS.

How do you expect the R29 to cope with the high-speed challenge of Monza?
The car should perform well there. We will use a totally different low downforce aero package, which has between 10 and 15% less downforce than the package we ran at Spa. Monza is very much about braking; traction; change of direction in chicanes and although it's a high-speed track there are no real high-speed corners. Overall I think that the R29 is performing well on all types of track and Monza should be no exception.

So far the team has failed to realise its potential. Can things turnaround in the final five races?
I don't see why not. The car has continuously improved as it did last year. It hasn't achieved the results for a number of reasons this year, but the team is competitive, the drivers are motivated and the car continues to improve so I believe we can perform well in the last five races.

Monza: Tech File

The Italian Grand Prix at Monza provides today's Formula One cars with perhaps the most severe test of the year. Nowhere is tougher on the engine or the brakes and the teams have to prepare a special package to cope with the unique challenge of Monza. And while it may look deceptively simple for the drivers, the circuit only gives away its secrets slowly, and the challenge of consistently finding the limit in low downforce configuration demands skill and finesse.

Aerodynamics
Monza is the fastest circuit on the calendar with an average speed of around 250 km/h and demands the development of a one-off aerodynamic package in order to attain competitive top speeds of around 340 km/h. This is often termed an "ultra low downforce" package, but the critical parameter is actually drag, and namely minimising its effects in order to achieve target top speeds. In the wind tunnel, the teams concentrate on ultra-efficient wing designs, which often vary quite significantly up and down the pit-lane. Naturally, these efficient low-drag wings also produce less downforce. The Monza aero package generates approximately 10% to 15% less downforce than the package used at the last race in Spa.

Suspension
Mechanical grip, stability and ride are major set-up parameters in Monza. This is firstly because the low downforce levels place a premium on mechanical grip, secondly because good braking stability is essential as the drivers spend nearly 15% of the lap on the brakes, and thirdly to ensure the drivers can use the kerbs aggressively in the chicanes in order to gain lap time. The set-up compromise must provide the drivers with a good change of direction in the low and medium-speed chicanes, while also ensuring strong traction exiting the slower corners. Equally, it is important to achieve good braking stability in order that the drivers can attack the heavy braking zones with confidence. The engineers will try and run the cars as low as possible for maximum aerodynamic performance. To avoid "touching" at high speeds, when the bottom of the car effectively drags along the ground, we use bump rubbers in the suspension and the car will ‘sit' on these at high speed.

Fernando explains: "The Ascari chicane is one of the most enjoyable parts of the lap. You need to be aggressive under braking and then very smooth with the steering and throttle application through turns 9 and 10. The key to being quick is to take the straightest possible line, but it's not easy as the car always feels light with such low downforce and wants to oversteer on the exit of turn 8. As with all the chicanes in Monza, carrying good exit speed out of turn 10 is important so you don't come under pressure on the approach to Parabolica."

Brakes
The cars spend nearly 15% of the lap braking, meaning this is an area in which lap-time can be gained. The mechanical set-up will be tweaked to improve the driver's confidence in the car's braking stability, while the braking system itself is accorded special attention. The brakes are worked very hard at Monza, with the highest braking energies of the season, particularly into turn 1 where the drivers experience braking forces that peak at 4.5G. The cars must negotiate four big braking events from over 320 km/h, and special attention is paid to brake cooling to ensure optimum performance for minimal drag penalty.

Fernando explains: "The biggest braking zone of the lap is turn one, which is a very tricky corner as you have to slow the car from over 340 km/h to 60 km/h. It's easy to lock a wheel under braking and run wide which will cost you a lot of lap time. You also need to use the kerbs to straight-line the chicane as much as possible. It is possible to overtake here if you get a good slipstream down the main straight and dive down the inside."

Engine
Monza has always been known as the ultimate test of a Formula One engine. The engines spend 75% of the lap at full throttle, significantly above the season average of 62%. Furthermore, the engine must be capable of operating effectively over a 275 km/h range, from a maximum speed of around 340 km/h on the pit straight to the minimum speed of around 65 km/h in the first chicane. The longest time spent at full throttle is around 15.5 seconds, from the exit of the Parabolica to the braking point at the first chicane. The engine mapping must provide the drivers with good power delivery from low speed, and is also tuned for smooth high-speed response on the exit of corners such as Parabolica.

Reliability
In addition to the challenge of the heavy workload Monza imposes on the engine, the slow chicanes pose challenges for engine reliability. The drivers must use the kerbs aggressively to carry good speed through the corners, but there is a risk of excessive use of the rev limiter when the cars are in the air, and transmission damage when the spinning wheels land. Engine ancillaries must also be monitored to ensure they can withstand the severe demands of a lap at Monza.

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:03 am

2009 Italian Grand Prix Friday - 11 SEP 2009

The ING Renault F1 Team completed a busy day of practice in preparation for this weekend's Italian Grand Prix.

Fernando Alonso, R2904
Free practice 1: 21 laps, 1:24.477, P4
Run 1: 5 laps, new hard tyres
Run 2: 8 laps, same hard tyres, brake balance adjust
Run 3: 7 laps, same hard tyres, front ride height and front wing adjust

Free Practice 2: 35 laps, 1:24.297, P3
Run 1: 6 laps, new hard tyres, gear ratios changed
Run 2: 9 laps, new soft tyres
Run 3: 9 laps, new hard tyres
Run 4: 5 laps, same hard tyres, rear wing adjustment
Run 5: 6 laps, new soft tyres

Fernando: "It was a normal Friday for us where we worked on set-up and evaluated the tyres. If we can find some more performance tomorrow then hopefully we can be in good shape for qualifying."

Romain Grosjean, R2903
Free practice 1: 18 laps, 1:25.612, P15
Run 1: 8 laps, new hard tyres
Run 2: 5 laps, same hard tyres, change to front wing
Run 3: 4 laps, same hard tyres, change to ride height and front wing

Free Practice 2: 31 laps, 1:24.163, P2
Run 1: 6 laps, new hard tyres, new gear box ratios
Run 2: 8 laps, new hard tyres
Run 3: 10 laps, new soft tyres
Run 4: 3 laps, same soft tyres, change to engine cooling
Run 5: 5 laps, new soft tyres

Romain: "Today has gone rather well, although I had to learn the Monza circuit for the first time in an F1 car. It's the ‘temple of speed' and a legendary circuit where there is a lot to learn, especially running with the KERS and so there were lots of new procedures for me to get used to. We finished the day in good shape and I'm continuing to work well with the engineers. I tried to improve the set-up and the results were positive so I will continue in the same way tomorrow."

"Monza is unique circuit and among the many things we have to consider here is brake wear. For this reason, it is necessary to run quite high fuel loads during practice to test the brakes. At the same time, tyres are critical and equally this is another reason to run high fuel loads. Naturally this gives great changes between race set-up and qualifying set-up so today we ran both high and low fuel loads and we are satisfied with the performance of the car in both conditions."

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:23 am

2009 Italian Grand Prix Saturday - 12 SEP 2009

Today's qualifying session in Monza saw Fernando Alonso and Romain Grosjean qualify in 8th and 12th places respectively for tomorrow's Italian Grand Prix.

FREE PRACTICE

Fernando Alonso, R2904, 17 laps, P8, 1:23.915 on lap 14
1 installation lap
Run 1: 6 laps, new soft tyres
Run 2: 5 laps, same soft tyres, change to front anti-roll bar
Run 3: 5 laps, new hard tyres

Romain Grosjean, R2903, 15 laps, P11, 1:24.197 on lap 13
1 installation lap
Run 1: 5 laps, new hard tyres
Run 2: 5 laps, new hard tyres
Run 3: 4 laps, new soft tyres

QUALIFYING

Fernando Alonso, R2904, P8, 1:25.072
Q1: 1 run on new hard tyres, 1 run on new soft tyres
Q2: 1 run on new soft tyres, 1 run on new hard tyres
Q3: 1 run on scrubbed soft tyres, 1 run on new hard tyres

Fernando: "We had a few doubts about reaching Q3 this morning so we are happy to have made it through. In the end we missed being in fourth or fifth position by a very small amount. I hope to have a good start of the race tomorrow and gain some places using the KERS."

Romain Grosjean, R2903, P12, 1:23.728
Q1: 1 run on new hard tyres, 2 runs on new soft tyres
Q2: 2 runs on soft tyres

Romain: "This is my best performance in qualifying so far. Of course, I would have preferred to make it through to Q3, but I think I can be happy with my performance today. For tomorrow, the KERS should help us at the start of the race. My aim will be to finish in the top ten and if I can score some points I will be very happy."

"Today we had a very exciting qualifying session with Fernando in eighth place and just missing fifth by six hundredths of a second. We can see already that there is going to be a number of one-stop strategies in this race so a lot will come down to management of the car and the tyres. Romain was very unlucky not to get through to Q3. His last lap was looking very promising but a small mistake kept him out by a couple of tenths. We are now looking forward to a good race tomorrow."

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:22 am

2009 Italian Grand Prix Sunday - 13 SEP 2009

The ING Renault F1 Team came away with four points from Monza as Fernando Alonso finished in fifth place in the Italian Grand Prix. Teammate Romain Grosjean completed the race in 15th.

Fernando Alonso, R2904, P5
"I'm very happy with the result today, although at the start the KERS did not meet my expectations. In the race I had good pace, the car behaved perfectly and our strategy worked well. Finishing in fifth position is a good result, but the objective for the rest of the season is a podium or even a victory."

Romain Grosjean, R2903, P15
"I'm very disappointed with today's race. My start was very poor and I need to try and understand why. I had some contact in the first chicane and so the car was damaged for the rest of my race, which made things difficult and impossible to score any points. The challenge now is to continue to progress and try to get closer to Fernando in qualifying."

Flavio Briatore, Managing Director
"Today we had a competitive car and the four points scored by Fernando are the result of a perfect drive. Romain has gained some more experience and continues to learn."

"Both our cars had quite lonely races today as is so often the case in Monza, particularly with single-stop strategies where there are really not many options available. Fernando's race was steady; he ran at the pace he needed to and fifth place is a just reward for the level of performance that we have. Romain suffered damage to his car at the first corner and the tyre was badly cut, which severely compromised the performance of the car and left him with a very difficult job all afternoon."

"Today's result is quite positive as we have scored four points. Our starts were not fantastic and that meant that we couldn't get ahead of some cars and fight further up. However, the performance of the car was where we expected it to be. This weekend we used the same engines as in Spa and we might also use them again in Singapore. Overall we have no concerns over the engine situation for the rest of the year and so we could use new or used engines for the upcoming races. We hope that the races to come will allow us to complete the season strongly and get on to the podium."

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:42 pm

Singapore Grand Prix 2009 Preview - 22 SEP 2009

The ING Renault F1 Team looks forward to round fourteen of the season, the Singapore Grand Prix.

Fernando Alonso: "I believe we can be competitive in Singapore"

Fernando, you had a strong weekend in Monza. Talk us through your race?
Considering that I started eighth on the grid, I was happy to finish fifth, which was better than we predicted before the race. We used KERS all weekend, but I couldn't make the most of it at the start so we lost some of the advantage going into the first corner. For the rest of the race the car had a good balance and my one-stop strategy worked well so we could score some important points.

The next race is in Singapore - what do you think of the track?
I like it because it's quite challenging and there are some interesting corners like the high-speed chicane at turn 10 where you have to carry a lot of speed and use the curbs. Overtaking isn't easy in Singapore, but there are some opportunities.

How will the R29 perform this weekend?
The car is working well at most circuits so I believe we are competitive enough to get close to the podium, which has to be my target this weekend.

And how are you preparing for the unusual timetable?
Last year I decided it was better to remain on a European schedule rather than adjusting to local time so I will do the same this year as it's the best way to manage my energy levels.

Romain Grosjean: "I'm looking forward to racing at night"

Romain, you had a mixed weekend in Monza. Tell us what happened in the race...
I was disappointed with my race because I couldn't show the true potential of my car. I lost a lot of places at the start and had some contact in the first chicane, which damaged the car and made it very difficult to drive. My radio also broke which made things even harder. It was good to finish the race and gain more experience, but I had hoped for a better result.

Are you looking forward to racing in Singapore?
Absolutely. I enjoy street circuits and the track layout looks interesting. I saw the race on television last year and thought the cars looked great under the lights. This will be my first ever night race and I'm really looking forward to it.

How do you prepare for a new circuit?
I've been doing a lot of work with my engineers and I've watched some videos to try and learn the track as much as I can before I arrive there. I already know the layout from studying the map, but it's only when you drive a lap and feel the grip that you start to understand the circuit.

What about your aims for the weekend?
My aim is to put together a strong weekend to maximise practice, qualifying and the race. I will try and get close to Fernando in qualifying and hopefully race for some points.

Bob Bell: "The result in Monza showed the potential of the car"
The technical director looks ahead to this weekend.

Bob, Fernando scored four points in Monza. How did you view his performance?
I think the result showed the potential of the car and Fernando certainly got 100% out of it. We were fortunate to gain a few places in the race but overall I think that fifth place was a fair reflection of our competitiveness and brought us the sort of points that we should have scored in the last few races.

Romain has done three races now. How is he progressing?
He has settled in very well and all of the engineers that have worked with him have been very impressed. He's clearly quick and over the Monza weekend he was just two or three tenths off Fernando, which is what we would hope to see. He has been unfortunate that he hasn't really had a clean race so we're yet to judge his true race pace, but he's clearly got a lot of potential.

We go from low downforce in Monza to high downforce in Singapore. Will the R29 adapt easily?
As I've said previously, the R29 doesn't have any specific weak points and delivers a similar level of performance with both high and low downforce. Its weakness is that it needs more overall performance in terms of grip through downforce and mechanical set-up. This weekend we will use a similar package to the one we used in Monaco, although we will incorporate the evolutions made since that race.

What challenges does the unusual schedule present to the team?
Based on our experience last year, I would say that night racing has not caused too many difficulties for the team and the facilities and lighting in Singapore are excellent. We're effectively working nightshifts in Singapore, but as a team we remain on UK time so it works quite well. The team keeps to the same schedule as at any other race, except that everything is shifted a few hours later in the day.

How is the team approaching the final four races of the season?
We do have developments planned for some of the remaining races and they will come along in due course. There's nothing major but they are sensible upgrades that are already in the production process. Our main development focus is now completely on the R30 and getting ready for 2010.

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:17 am

2009 Singapore Grand Prix Friday

The Renault F1 Team completed a busy day of practice in preparation for this weekend's Singapore Grand Prix.

Fernando Alonso, R2904
Free practice 1: 16 laps, 1:50.567, P4
1 installation lap
Run 1: 8 laps, new hard tyres
Run 2: 7 laps, same hard tyres, adjustment to front wing

Free Practice 2: 27 laps, 1:48.924, P2
Run 1: 7 laps, new hard tyres
Run 2: 10 laps, same hard tyres, change to rear ride-height
Run 3: 1 lap, new soft tyres
Run 4: 3 laps, scrubbed hard tyres, front camber adjustment
Run 5: 5 laps, new soft tyres, change to front anti-roll bar

Fernando: "Today we completed a normal Friday programme for a street circuit. The track was very dirty and slippery in both the sessions, which always makes it difficult to learn about the car and improve the balance and I had a lot of oversteer. However, I think we made the most of the track time available and we are in reasonable shape for tomorrow."

Romain Grosjean, R2903
Free practice 1: 9 laps, 1:53.548, P20
1 Installation lap
Run 1: 7 laps, new hard tyres

Free Practice 2: 17 laps, 1:50.972, P19
Run 1: 4 laps, new hard tyres
Run 2: 6 laps, same hard tyres
Run 3: 6 laps, new soft tyres

Romain: "Today was my first experience of the Singapore circuit. Unfortunately I made a small error in the first session which cost me a lot of time. Then in the afternoon we had several mechanical problems, which limited my running. Despite all this, I tried to learn the circuit, which is particularly difficult. We still have a lot of work to do but it will be possible to find some more speed for tomorrow. I also hope that the practice starts we did today will help us for the race."

Bob Bell, Team Principal
"Today didn't quite go as planned. Romain had an accident in the first session which ruined a good part of that session. When he came out in the second session he had other issues with the car meaning that he didn't get as much running as he would have liked. Today was all about giving him time on the circuit so this was unfortunate. For Fernando, his day was difficult as he had a lot of oversteer and lacked rear-end grip. So overall it wasn't an easy day but we'll work overnight to get on top of the balance issues and ensure we have a better balance tomorrow."

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:40 am

2009 Singapore Grand Prix Saturday - 26 SEP 2009

Today's qualifying session for the Singapore Grand Prix saw Fernando Alonso qualify in 6th place, but he will start from 5th following a grid penalty for Rubens Barrichello. Teammate Romain Grosjean will start the race from 19th.

FREE PRACTICE 3

Fernando Alonso, R2904, 15 laps, P15, 1:49.032

Romain Grosjean, R2903, 16 laps, P19, 1:49.641

QUALIFYING

Fernando Alonso, R2904, P6 (starts P5), 1:49.054

Fernando: "We start the race in fifth, which is a good position for us. It might be difficult to fight for a podium tomorrow, but for sure finishing in the top five would be our main goal. Our race pace was not fantastic during practice so we need to improve that a little bit for tomorrow, otherwise we might have a defensive race as I will be determined to defend this fifth place."

Romain Grosjean, R2903, P19, 1:48.544

Romain: "We were having problems with the brakes and the team was trying very hard to solve them, but in the end it was a difficult session. I don't believe that 19th on the grid shows the true pace of the car so I look forward to the race where hopefully I can make some progress. I remain in a positive frame of mind and want to gain some valuable experience from this demanding track."

Bob Bell, Team Principal
"Unfortunately Romain did not have a great qualifying session as he had brake problems which hampered his progress. In Q2, Fernando picked up pace - maybe because the track temperature was falling slightly or perhaps because the circuit was picking up grip. Whatever the reason, the balance of the car certainly improved and Fernando was able to gain time and had more confidence in the car. He did a very good job in Q3 although it's fair to say we benefited from Barrichello's incident, but I think it was a good solid performance considering our expectations prior to qualifying."

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:23 am

2009 Singapore Grand Prix Sunday - 27 SEP 2009

Fernando Alonso claimed his first podium of the season today as he delivered a strong drive to take third place in the Singapore Grand Prix. Teammate Romain Grosjean retired in the early stages with brake problems.

Fernando Alonso, R2904, P3
"This was a great result for the team allowing us to be positive and put behind us the past few weeks. I had a good start and great pace throughout the race and third place came as a result of a good strategy and a solid race. Everyone at Enstone, Viry and here at the circuit has done a great job and this has paid off today. Now we go to Suzuka in high spirits."

Romain Grosjean, R2903, DNF
"It was a disappointing weekend for me. The car just wasn't right and we had recurring brake problems which we hoped we had solved before the race. I had a good start and a good first lap when I felt my brakes failing and so the team asked me to retire. It's too bad because I was comfortable and enjoying this track and racing at night. Now we will have to work hard and get the car back in order for Japan next week."

Bob Bell, Team Principal
"Today was absolutely fantastic. It's wonderful to get a podium at any time but to get one after what the team has just been through is really positive and gives us great strength to move on now. Unfortunately Romain had more brake problems which put him out of the race early on. It's clear he has a lot of potential for the future and he just needs to move on from this race and make sure he completes a solid race in Japan. Everybody in the team will now go to the final three races very buoyed by this result because it shows that the team can fight for the podium."

Jean-François Caubet, Managing Director
"To end the weekend with a podium is a great result. When we arrived here on Wednesday we did not think it was achievable, but little-by-little we have made it possible. In the end the race team put together a strategy that worked very well today. It's great to get a podium here and it's extremely important for Renault, for our partner TOTAL and for our sponsors, and for Renault F1 Team. We showed that Renault F1 has what it takes to fight at the front."

"The engines have run perfectly this weekend. We were using the same engines we ran in Spa and Monza so it was their third race and they have delivered once again. The only issue we had was a small alert in the race, but we managed it and it had no consequence on the result of the race. To finish on the podium here isn't easy because it's an unforgiving circuit where you cannot afford to make any mistakes. Today we showed that the whole team is focussed and it's a super result for us."

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:34 am

2009 Japanese Grand Prix Preview - 29 SEP 2009

The Renault F1 Team prepares for this weekend's Japanese Grand Prix at the classic Suzuka circuit.

Fernando Alonso: "The team can be very proud of this result"

Fernando, you had your first podium finish of the year in Singapore. Talk us through your emotions after the race...
To finish on the podium was a great feeling. It was the result that we have been pushing for and the team really deserved this because we have been unlucky this year and lost many opportunities. Everybody in the team can be very proud as they did a great job all weekend and this was the perfect moment to get this result. It's a great reward for all the hard work at the track and back in the factories in Enstone and Viry.

We now head to Suzuka in Japan - are you looking forward to going back there for the first time in three years?
Yes, I'm really excited to be returning to this amazing track which is one of my favourites. I have some great memories from Suzuka as I won the race there in 2006, which was a very important result for the championship. Also my battle with Michael Schumacher in 2005 is something that I will always remember. Japan is certainly one of the most enjoyable races of the season because there is a special atmosphere and the fans always show their enthusiasm in a respectful way.

Talk us through the technical challenge of the circuit...
I think all the drivers enjoy the high-speed corners of Suzuka, but it's also a technical track which gives the engineers a big challenge. In terms of set-up, you have to work hard to make sure you have a car with a good front end for the changes of direction, and a stable rear so you have the confidence to attack the high-speed corners. The Esses section is an important part of the lap as you have to cope with fifteen seconds of continuously changing direction, so it's very demanding physically. You also need to keep your concentration as there is only one line through the corners and any mistakes cost you a lot of time.

Romain Grosjean: "Racing at Suzuka will be very special"

Romain, your race in Singapore was short-lived. A disappointing end to a tough weekend for you...
Yes, it was probably the most difficult weekend I can remember in my career. I had to learn the circuit, which was not easy, especially as I had some issues in practice which limited my running. As a result I never really felt confident on this circuit. Then in qualifying I had some braking issues, which we thought we had solved for the race, but in the end the team asked me to retire the car as the brake problems returned. So it was not a weekend to remember for me and I now have to look forward to Japan.

Suzuka will be another new experience for you. Is it a circuit that inspires you?
It's a circuit that I've never been to, but I have always dreamed of racing there as it's one of the special circuits of the world. I have seen the track on television many times so I know the layout and cannot wait to drive the quick corners like 130R.

How are you approaching the end of the season?
All the tracks will be new for me so I know that I have a big challenge ahead. I hope that my luck will change in the races as I have yet to have a normal race without any problems. If I can have some trouble-free races then hopefully I can help the team score some important points, which is what we need for the fight in the constructors' championship.

Bob Bell: "The team heads to Japan in high spirits"

Bob, what does the podium in Singapore mean for the team ahead of this weekend's Japanese Grand Prix?
This result obviously lifts the spirits of the whole team enormously and will be fresh in everyone's mind as we have back-to-back races this weekend. The team will therefore arrive in Japan feeling very upbeat. The race in Japan might not be the easiest for us, but I think the level of motivation will be much higher.

Romain had a tough weekend in Singapore – can he bounce back in Japan?
I have no doubt that he can bounce back: he is young, very confident and has a lot of ability. The problems he had in Singapore were related to his brakes so we need to make sure that we do all we can in Suzuka to make sure he has no repeat of this. However, we should remember that Suzuka is a very different circuit and I think it will be a lot easier for him there.

Talk us through the technical challenge of this classic circuit...
It's an interesting venue and it's quite challenging for an older circuit. It requires a good balance and a medium to high downforce set-up, but braking performance is less important there, which will assist with the problems Romain had. It has some corners that are very challenging for the drivers that require a lot of commitment and are rewarding to drive. Overall, it's a circuit were we have done well in the past and Fernando particularly likes Suzuka so he will relish the challenge this weekend.

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:21 pm

2009 Japanese Grand Prix Friday - 2 OCT 2009

The Renault F1 Team completed a very wet day of practice at Suzuka in preparation for this weekend's Japanese Grand Prix.

Fernando Alonso, R2904
Free practice 1: 22 laps, 1:41.532, P7
1 Installation lap
Run 1: 6 laps, new intermediate tyres
Run 2: 9 laps, same intermediate tyres, adjustment to front wing
Run 3: 6 laps, same intermediate tyres

Free Practice 2: 5 laps, 1:48.693, P7
1 Installation lap
Run 1: 4 laps, new wet tyres

Fernando: "Today we couldn't do many laps because of the heavy rain, but we think it will be a dry race so we limited our running. We are happy with the car and there are no problems, but tomorrow we will start the real work and everything will be new once again for everyone."

Romain Grosjean, R2903
Free practice 1: 22 laps, 1:43.572, P20
1 Installation lap
Run 1: 9 laps, new intermediate tyres
Run 2: 8 laps, same intermediate tyres, adjustment to front wing
Run 3: 5 laps, same intermediate tyres, adjustment to front wing and to front ride height

Free Practice 2: 6 laps, 1:49.045, P14
1 Installation lap
Run 1: 5 laps, new wet tyres

Romain: "With the rain today it was not a great free practice, which is a shame. I did my best to complete some laps and to learn the circuit as this is my first time at Suzuka, although in the second session I only completed a few laps. I think we will have to wait for the weather to improve tomorrow to continue with our work."

Bob Bell, Team Principal
"It has been a very wet day. We managed to run on intermediate tyres during the first session and full wets this afternoon. That has given us an idea of how those tyres work on this circuit and we also have a rough idea for the set-up of the car in wet conditions. Beyond that it was very difficult to learn very much today. The forecast suggests that it could be wet tomorrow morning, but it should by dry for qualifying and the race. Therefore we may well start qualifying running dry tyres for the first time, which could make for a very interesting session."

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:50 pm

2009 Japanese Grand Prix Saturday - 3 OCT 2009

Today's qualifying session in Suzuka saw Fernando Alonso and Romain Grosjean qualify in 12th and 18th places respectively for tomorrow's Japanese Grand Prix.

FREE PRACTICE 3

Fernando Alonso, R2904, 21 laps, P13, 1:32.742

Romain Grosjean, R2903, 25 laps, P11, 1:32.717

QUALIFYING

Fernando Alonso, R2904, P12, 1:31.638

Fernando: "It was a very strange qualifying session. The track conditions were good and all the drivers were pushing hard, but there were lots of incidents, amongst them Timo's was the most serious and I am glad he is okay. It's a shame to have missed Q3 as the yellow flag came out in the final stages of Q2. I was called by the stewards because I had a green second sector under yellow flags. I explained that coming out of turn 14 I had little visibility because of the dust left from Buemi spinning into the gravel …then I saw debris of a wing in the middle of the track, which I avoided and at that point I saw the yellow flag and immediately slowed down and came carefully into the pits. Tomorrow, for the race, I hope we can improve our position and score some points." *

Romain Grosjean, R2903, P18, 1:32.073

Romain: "With the rain yesterday, we only had one hour of dry practice to get ready for today's qualifying session. As a result, I haven't been able to do much running on a track that I haven't been to before, so that was a shame. We will see what strategy we can deploy tomorrow in order to give ourselves the best chance to have a good race."

Bob Bell, Team Principal
"To be honest it was a disappointing session. Obviously Romain struggled to make it through Q1 and ultimately wasn't comfortable enough with the car. We were pretty optimistic about getting Fernando into Q3, but unfortunately the situation with Buemi's accident and the yellow flag meant that he had to back off during his second run and so he missed out on Q3."

*At this stage the team awaits confirmation of the grid order for tomorrow