McLaren Mercedes

Formula 1 Team reports for the 2010 F1 season includes race previews, reports and reviews

Moderator: Ed

Tim
Site Admin
Site Admin

McLaren Mercedes

Post by Tim » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:06 pm

Jenson and Lewis share their thoughts on 2010

The new year invariably brings with it thoughts of a new season.

And with preparations for 2010 already well underway at Vodafone McLaren Mercedes, we catch up with our two drivers as the number of days until the opening race in Bahrain continues to narrow:

Jenson Button
2009 Formula 1 World Champion
You’re now officially a Vodafone McLaren Mercedes driver – how does it feel?
“Obviously, it’s fantastic to be part of one of the most famous names in Formula 1. But it’s also exhilarating: I’d been at the same team for seven years so this is a big cultural change for me, and something that I’m really looking forward to.
“There are a lot of new faces to remember and lots of names to learn – and that’s all got to be done alongside the engineering and limited testing we have ahead of the 2010 season. But I’m loving every minute of it – the atmosphere within the team feels fantastic, and I’ve already started to feel at home here. I can’t wait to get out in the fantastic new car the team has built for me!”

Where do your priorities lie over the next four weeks?
“Having no testing until the first week of February is something of a mixed blessing – it gives me the time to really get to know the guys at Vodafone McLaren Mercedes, and to properly integrate myself into the team – which I am absolutely committed to doing – but, equally, it’s another month without any running in the car – and getting miles under my belt will be crucial ahead of the first race.
“So, it’s only natural that there will be a lot of factory-based work for the next few weeks. I’ll be starting to work with my engineers, who are a fantastic bunch of guys. But, honestly, I really cannot wait to get out to Valencia and get my first run in the MP4-25 – I think that’s when it will finally sink in that I’m a Vodafone McLaren Mercedes driver.”

2010: a new year – how are you planning the successful defence of your world title?
“Obviously, my aim is to keep the number one on my car for as long as possible! But, at the moment, it’s a little bit too early to start talking about the world championship. The backbone of any title challenge is built on good preparation, hard word, focus and dedication.
“And the hard work starts here – the next 10 weeks could well largely dictate the destiny of the 2010 world championship, so it’s crucial that we start testing very strongly and that we never let up.
“I’m more motivated than ever to work with the team and my engineers, and I’ve extremely positive for the year ahead.”

Lewis Hamilton
2008 Formula 1 World Champion
How have you been preparing for the 2010 season?
“I’ve been mainly training and trying to keep fit. At the end of the 2009 season, I promised myself that I would aim to be 100 per cent fit and focused on the new year, so I’ve been working hard. When I’m not training, I’ve just been at home in Geneva, preparing for Christmas and the new year.”

Are you looking forward to trying the new car for the first time?
“Yes, I’m excited and can’t wait to see it and test it. Hopefully, it’s going to be great for our team next year. I’ll be working closely with my engineers and the team to make sure we all hit the ground running with the new car.
“You can never take competitiveness for granted in Formula 1 – we saw that last year – so our common goal has to be to make MP4-25 a winning proposition as quickly as possible. Only once we’ve achieved that can we start looking at winning races and then, eventually, the world championship.”

Have you had much of a chance to speak to Jenson yet?
“Not yet, unfortunately. Our paths haven’t really crossed since he was announced at Vodafone McLaren Mercedes back in November. We’ve both been to MTC for our seat fittings – but they were on different days. The first time we’ll start working together is later this month, when we’ll both be at Woking together, then we’ll have the launch and the first test. We’ll be sharing the pre-season testing equally, and it will be important to keep a crossover of information between us to make sure we are both pulling in the right direction.”

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:20 pm

VODAFONE McLAREN MERCEDES LAUNCHES MP4-25 WITH WORLD CHAMPIONS JENSON BUTTON & LEWIS HAMILTON

The Vodafone McLaren Mercedes team today revealed its brand new MP4-25 chassis – the car in which reigning world champion Jenson Button and 2008 world champion Lewis Hamilton will contest the 2010 FIA Formula 1 World Championship.

Unveiled at Vodafone UK’s stunning headquarters in Newbury, the 2010 car looks noticeably different from last year’s race-winning MP4-24. MP4-25 features a radical aerodynamic overhaul and a significantly larger fuel tank to take full advantage of this year’s new regulations, and its design team is confident it has explored every possible avenue to maximise the car’s performance.

Horsepower once again comes from our friends in Stuttgart. Mercedes Benz’s FO 108X V8 subtly improves upon an engine that has become the benchmark in Formula 1, winning the last two drivers’ world championships.

The team kicks off its 2010 campaign with a stunning driver pairing: 2009 world champion Jenson Button and 2008 world champion Lewis Hamilton. It is the first time since 1989 – when it ran Alain Prost and Ayrton Senna – that the team has fielded a joint-world champion driver line-up, and marks the first time in Formula 1 history that the sport’s two most recent world champions have been partnered together.

However, the driver line-up represents only a fraction of the team’s remarkable strength in depth. Members of the design team who contributed to the development of MP4-25 can also trace their involvement back through an incredible seven of the team’s 12 drivers’ world championships, five of the team’s eight constructors’ world championships and 112 of the team’s 164 grand prix victories.

The Vodafone McLaren Mercedes team begins pre-season testing with MP4-25 at the Circuit de la Comunitat Valenciana Ricardo Tormo on Monday.

JENSON BUTTON

“I’m incredibly proud to be standing here today knowing I’ll be carrying the number one for the whole season: that’s a great responsibility but also a great honour. It’s something I’m relishing.

“From the very first day of testing, I’ll be working with the team to learn about the car and to develop it ahead of the first race. I’ve said it before: the pace of development in those opening tests could well determine the outcome of the championship.

“I’ve got a great team around me, and I already feel very at home here. I just can’t wait to get in the car and start driving again. It really can’t come soon enough!”

LEWIS HAMILTON

“I’ve seen just how much effort and attention has gone into making this car what it is. We’ve been pushing like crazy to find the performance and the result is something that looks very special and very uncompromising.

“Both Jenson and I are world champions, and we both want to add to the team’s incredible winning legacy. I think a strong driver line-up will be very important this year as there are a lot of very competitive teams and drivers – and the stronger we can be, the better chance we’ll have of winning races. We all understand that.

“Obviously, I want to win the drivers’ world championship, that’s clear. But, just as important, I want to help the team win the constructors’ world championship. I think it’s set to be a great year for Formula 1 – it should be brilliant.”

MARTIN WHITMARSH

Team principal, Vodafone McLaren Mercedes

“At Vodafone McLaren Mercedes, we’ve demonstrated that strength in depth is the best approach to take in Formula 1. The group of engineers, designers and strategists we’ve assembled demonstrates how much can be achieved by a very focused team operating at the very limit of their abilities.

“In Jenson, we saw a champion driver hungry for more success. We’ve already seen those qualities in Lewis, too. I’m convinced that we have one of the very strongest driver line-ups in Formula 1, and that both Jenson and Lewis are committed to working together to enhance the team’s prospects in what promises to be a fiercely competitive season.”

David Wheldon

Vodafone Global brand director & CEO of VIML

“As we enter into the fourth season of this partnership, we will continue to create real engagement with our customers, utilising the unique opportunities the team partnership delivers, through a powerful integrated marketing platform. With the 2010 season starting, we welcome newly crowned world champion Jenson Button and wish all the team a successful 2010 season.”

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:28 pm

TEST REPORT – VALENCIA – DAY ONE

Date Monday February 1 2010
Driver Gary Paffett
Location Circuit de la Comunitat Valenciana Ricardo Tormo
Track length 4.051km
Weather Warm, dry and sunny all day. Maximum ambient temperature 13.8°C, maximum track temperature 31.7°C

Laps completed 86
Kilometres covered 348km

Best laptime: 1m13.846s at 14:51pm

Programme: First run for the MP4-25, the team’s 2010 challenger. The principal focus for the day was putting mileage on the new car. With Gary behind the wheel for the whole day, the team completed 86 laps without any mechanical issues.

The day’s programme started with a number of shorter five-lap runs to establish a benchmark for the day. Into the afternoon, the team were increasingly confident with the car’s reliability and conducted some longer runs, looking at a greater variety of set-up configurations.

Gary declared himself happy with the car’s balance and handling. Tomorrow, Lewis picks up the programme, continuing the initial work and focusing on reliability and set-up.

Driver for day two: Lewis Hamilton
Duration of test: Three days (February 1-3)

Testing times

Pos Driver Constructor Time Laps

1 Felipe Massa Ferrari 1m12.574 103
2 Pedro de la Rosa BMW Sauber 1m12.784 74
3 Michael Schumacher Mercedes GP 1m12.947 40
4 Nico Rosberg Mercedes GP 1m13.543 39
5 Gary Paffett Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 1m13.846 86
6 Rubens Barrichello Williams 1m14.449 75
7 Sebastien Buemi Scuderia Toro Rosso 1m14.762 18
8 Robert Kubica Renault 1m15.000 69

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:14 am

TEST REPORT – VALENCIA – DAY TWO

Date Tuesday February 2 2010
Drivers Lewis Hamilton
Track length 4.051km
Weather Cold in the morning, but dry and sunny all day. Maximum ambient temperature 12.8°C, maximum track temperature 31.7°C

Laps completed 108
Kilometres covered 438km

Best laptime 1m12.256s at 14:38

Programme Second day of testing for the MP4-25. Lewis Hamilton returned to the cockpit for the first time since the end of the 2009 season, completing 108 laps of the Ricardo Tormo circuit during a very busy and productive day of testing.

The team continued with the programme started by Gary Paffett yesterday, focusing on car set-up and understanding the difference in balance caused by the heavier fuel-loads and narrower 2010-spec front tyres.

Lewis declared himself happy with the car’s performance and reliability.

For the third and final day of this week’s test, world champion Jenson Button will take the wheel – his first drive at Vodafone McLaren Mercedes.

Driver for day three Jenson Button
Duration of test Three days (February 1-3)

Testing times

1 Felipe Massa Ferrari 1m11.722 124
2 Kamui Kobayashi BMW Sauber 1m12.056 96
3 Lewis Hamilton Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 1m12.256 108
4 Robert Kubica Renault 1m12.426 119
5 Nico Rosberg Mercedes GP 1m12.899 119
6 Rubens Barrichello Williams 1m13.377 102
7 Sebastien Buemi Scuderia Toro Rosso 1m13.823 107

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:33 pm

TEST REPORT – VALENCIA – DAY THREE

Date Wednesday February 3 2010
Drivers Jenson Button
Track length 4.051km
Weather Cold in the morning, but dry and sunny all day. Maximum ambient temperature 13.4°C, maximum track temperature 32.2°C

Laps completed 82
Kilometres covered 332km

Best laptime 1m12.951s at 13:39

Programme Third and final day of testing at Valencia. Jenson took to the cockpit of a McLaren for the very first time, spending the morning finessing his seating position and sight-lines as he got used to the all-new cockpit of the MP4-25.

Into the afternoon, the team were able to concentrate on a series of longer runs, using the opportunity to find a balance and a set-up that suited Jenson.

After three days of testing, the Vodafone McLaren Mercedes team leaves the opening test extremely satisfied with the performance and reliability of the new MP4-25.

The test team regroups in Jerez de la Frontera next week for the second of four pre-season sessions – a circuit that will enable all teams to begin a more meaningful assessment of relative pace.

Duration of test Three days (February 1-3)

Testing times

1 Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1m11.470 127
2 Pedro de la Rosa BMW Sauber 1m12.094 81
3 Michael Schumacher Mercedes GP 1m12.438 82
4 Jaime Alguersuari Scuderia Toro Rosso 1m12.576 97
5 Jenson Button Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 1m12.951 82
6 Vitaly Petrov Renault 1m13.097 75
7 Nico Hulkenberg Williams 1m13.669 126

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:01 am

TEST REPORT – JEREZ – DAY ONE

Date Wednesday February 10 2010
Drivers Jenson Button
Location Circuito de Jerez
Track length 4.428 km
Weather Dry to start, with drizzle for the rest of the day . Maximum ambient temperature 13°C, maximum track temperature 14°C

Laps completed 67
Kilometres covered 297km

Best laptime 1m24.947 at 09.44

Programme

The first day of testing at Jerez for Jenson. The dry start to the day permitted aerodynamic measurements of the car to be taken as planned. This included short runs with instrumentation on the car to gauge flow structures.

From mid-morning onwards, the weather turned and drizzle prompted the Vodafone McLaren Mercedes team to switch to alternative programmes for running in the wet. This opportunity afforded Jenson time to acclimatise to his Vodafone McLaren Mercedes MP4-25 in terms of engine mapping, gearbox mapping and general set-up.

Into the afternoon, the team were able to engage in brake material development for Jenson. Various types of brake materials were tested, allowing Jenson to determine which he preferred in extreme weather conditions.

Variable rainfall that continued throughout the day also permitted the team to run the MP4-25 on intermediate to full wet Bridgestone tyres.

Duration of test Four days (February 10-13)

Testing times

1 Nico Rosberg Mercedes GP 1m20.927 43
2 Sebastien Buemi Scuderia Toro Rosso 1m21.031 84
3 Nico Hulkenberg Williams F1 1m22.243 108
4 Fernando Alonso Scuderia Ferrari 1m22.895 79
5 Kamui Kobayashi BMW Sauber 1m23.287 48
6 Jenson Button Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 1m24.947 67
7 Vitantonio Liuzzi Force India 1m24.968 66
8 Vitaly Petrov Renault 1m25.440 23
9 Mark Webber Red Bull Racing 1m26.502 47
10 Timo Glock Virgin Racing 1m38.734 5

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:16 am

TEST REPORT – JEREZ – DAY TWO

Date Thursday February 11 2010

Drivers Jenson Button
Location Circuit de Jerez
Track length 4.423km
Weather Dry and sunny all day with occasional blustery winds. Maximum ambient temperature 15.7°C, maximum track temperature 34.4°C

Laps completed 83
Kilometres covered 367km

Best laptime 1m20.618s at 12:56

Programme Second and final day of testing for Jenson at Jerez this week. The team began the day with a continuation of the early-morning aero mapping it started yesterday. After a successful number of aero runs, the morning’s running centred on finding suitable mechanical and aero set-ups with the MP4-25.

In the afternoon, the programme focused on longer running, evaluating tyres on a number of varying fuel-loads.

At the conclusion of his test, Jenson declared himself much happier with the seat and installation and was happy with the progress the team is making with the new car.

He made a precautionary stop just before the day’s end when a warning light came on in the cockpit.

Lewis will continue the running on Friday and Saturday.

Driver for day three Lewis Hamilton
Duration of test Four days (February 12-13)

Testing times

1 Kamui Kobayashi BMW Sauber 1m19.950 103
2 Sebastien Buemi Scuderia Toro Rosso 1m20.026 121
3 Jenson Button Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 1m20.618 83
4 Nico Hulkenberg Williams 1m20.629 67
5 Vitantonio Liuzzi Force India F1 1m20.754 80
6 Michael Schumacher Mercedes GP 1m21.083 124
7 Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1m21.424 129
8 Robert Kubica Renault 1m22.003 103
9 Mark Webber Red Bull Racing 1m22.043 99
10 Timo Glock Virgin Racing 1m29.964 11

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:04 pm

TEST REPORT – JEREZ – DAY THREE

Date Friday February 12 2010
Drivers Lewis Hamilton
Track length 4.423km
Weather Cold but dry at the start of the morning, quickly growing overcast. Started raining around late morning and persisted until the end of running. Maximum ambient temperature 9.6°C, maximum track temperature 15.0°C

Laps completed 68
Kilometres covered 300km

Best laptime 1m23.985 at 09:39

Programme With wet weather forecast to hit the circuit today, the test team had specifically devised a run programme to make best use of the day.

The only dry running of the day took place in the morning, which the team used to undertake a number of aero mapping runs. Conducted at lower speeds, the only dry times of the day were therefore not representative of the team’s overall pace.

As the rain started falling, focus shifted towards evaluating Bridgestone’s wet and intermediate compounds. The colder temperatures made progress difficult, particularly as extra attention needed to be paid to brake material choice in the cool conditions.

For the afternoon, Lewis focused on a number of longer runs to understand how the tyres behaved – but the poor weather eventually became too much, even for the full-wet option.

For tomorrow, the team is hoping for dry running in order to give Lewis an opportunity to put miles on MP4-25 in more representative conditions.

Driver for day four Lewis Hamilton
Duration of test Four days (February 10-13)
Testing times

1 Jamie Alguersuari Scuderia Toro Rosso 1m19.919 76
2 Pedro de la Rosa BMW Sauber 1m20.736 58
3 Adrian Sutil Force India F1 1m21.428 48
4 Felipe Massa Ferrari 1m21.603 72
5 Sebastian Vettel Red Bull Racing 1m21.783 59
6 Vitaly Petrov Renault 1m22.000 68
7 Nico Rosberg Mercedes GP 1m22.829 53
8 Rubens Barrichello Williams 1m23.217 120
9 Lewis Hamilton Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 1m23.985 68
10 Lucas di Grassi Virgin Racing 1m37.107 8

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:19 pm

TEST REPORT – JEREZ – DAY FOUR

Date Saturday February 13 2010
Drivers Lewis Hamilton
Track length 4.423km

Weather Damp and drizzly at the start of the day. Conditions slowly dried out until the circuit was dry at the very end of the day. Maximum ambient temperature 10.4°C, maximum track temperature 12.0°C

Laps completed 113
Kilometres covered 500km

Best laptime 1m19.583s

Programme Fourth and final day of testing at Jerez. With rain in the morning, the team spent the early part of the day once again running through an aero mapping programme, fitting distinctive measuring rakes to the car.

Waiting until the conditions improved, Lewis ventured out to begin running at around 10:40. He was able to complete a 29-lap long run, and began a second long run, which was curtailed by red flags at the 25-lap mark.

The team continued yesterday’s programme, evaluating brake and brake materials while also working on weight distribution.

At the end of the day, when the circuit became completely dry, Lewis was able to complete one final run, fitting a fresh set of tyres to set three fast laps in the 1m19s bracket. His time of 1m19.583s was the fastest of this week’s four-day test.

Lewis is scheduled to kick off proceedings at the start of next week’s test on Wednesday February 17, before Jenson takes over for the final two days.

Next test Jerez (February 17-20)

Testing times

1 Lewis Hamilton Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 1m19.583 113
2 Adrian Sutil Force India F1 1m20.180 83
3 Rubens Barrichello Williams 1m20.341 90
4 Robert Kubica Renault 1m20.358 85
5 Michael Schumacher Mercedes GP 1m20.613 83
6 Sebastian Vettel Red Bull Racing 1m21.203 89
7 Felipe Massa Ferrari 1m21.485 160
8 Pedro de la Rosa BMW Sauber 1m22.134 105
9 Lucas di Grassi Virgin Racing 1m22.912 63
10 Jaime Alguersuari Scuderia Toro Rosso 1m24.072 98

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:40 am

TEST REPORT – JEREZ – DAY ONE

Date Wednesday February 17 2010
Drivers Lewis Hamilton
Track length 4.423km
Weather Pretty horrid: changeable, gusty, unpredictable and filled with intermittent heavy showers. Maximum ambient temperature 15.7°C, maximum track temperature 28.3°C

Laps completed 72
Kilometres covered 318km

Best laptime 1m23.017s at 16:59

Programme The day-long changeable conditions made progress frustratingly slow, as meaningful running could not be achieved without the arrival of either a rain shower or a red-flag period.

Nevertheless, the team continued with its development of MP4-25, making solid progress with the car’s balance and set-up, based largely on a thorough evaluation of and response to the data gathered at last week’s running at Jerez.

Lewis caused an early red flag during the morning’s running when his car was stopped by a minor systems error. Thereafter, he ran without problems and was able to achieve some encouraging times over several long runs.

With heavier rain forecast for tomorrow, the team will continue with its reactive programme, continuing to put miles on the car while simultaneously looking at improving performance.

Driver for day two Lewis Hamilton
Duration of test Four days (February 17-20)

Testing times

1 Sebastian Vettel Red Bull Racing 1m22.593 99
2 Lewis Hamilton Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 1m23.017 72
3 Felipe Massa Ferrari 1m23.204 72
4 Sebastien Buemi Scuderia Toro Rosso 1m23.322 79
5 Pedro de la Rosa BMW Sauber 1m23.367 76
6 Michael Schumacher Mercedes GP 1m23.803 111
7 Adrian Sutil Force India F1 1m24.272 28
8 Paul di Resta Force India F1 1m25.088 74
9 Vitaly Petrov Renault 1m26.237 55
10 Rubens Barrichello Williams 1m27.320 109
11 Fairuz Fauzy Lotus 1m31.848 76
12 Timo Glock Virgin Racing 1m32.417 10

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:12 am

TEST REPORT – JEREZ – DAY TWO

Date Thursday February 18 2010
Drivers Lewis Hamilton
Track length 4.423km
Weather Heavy rain and strong winds throughout the day. Maximum ambient temperature 14.1°C, maximum track temperature 16.7°C

Laps completed 57
Kilometres covered 252km

Best laptime 1m30.979s at 16:51

Programme Another frustrating day: with torrential wind and rain lashing the circuit for the entire day, further meaningful running was ruled out.

More disruptive than today’s rain, were the blustery conditions that made running inconclusive. Unable to continue with the day’s planned programme, Lewis and the team undertook further systems checks, successfully signing off a large number by the end of the day.

While today’s overall times are not representative due to the poor weather (Lewis only completed three complete laps on dry tyres), the team is happy with MP4-25’s competitiveness.

Jenson Button takes over driving duties for the next two days, when drier weather is forecast.

Testing times

1 Rubens Barrichello Williams 1m27.145 98
2 Vitaly Petrov Renault 1m27.828 56
3 Sebastian Vettel Red Bull Racing 1m28.162 70
4 Nico Rosberg Mercedes GP 1m28.515 71
5 Felipe Massa Ferrari 1m28.879 92
6 Pedro de la Rosa BMW Sauber 1m29.691 8
7 Paul di Resta Force India F1 1m30.344 33
8 Timo Glock Virgin Racing 1m30.476 72
9 Vitantonio Liuzzi Force India F1 1m30.666 24
10 Lewis Hamilton Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 1m30.979 57
11 Sebastien Buemi Scuderia Toro Rosso 1m32.678 57
12 Heikki Kovalainen Lotus 1m33.554 30

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:32 pm

TEST REPORT – JEREZ – DAY THREE

Date Friday February 19 2010
Drivers Jenson Button
Track length 4.423km
Weather Damp start to the day, but remained dry and sunny with occasional strong winds. Maximum ambient temperature 14.8°C, maximum track temperature 29.4°C

Laps completed 101
Kilometres covered 447km

Best laptime 1m20.394s at 12:39

Programme Despite starting the third week of pre-season testing, today was the first time that the team had been able to follow a concerted, progressive day of set-up work in consistent conditions.

After yesterday’s rains abated, Jenson was able to spend the majority of the day pursuing a consistent path with mechanical set-up development, despite the presence in the afternoon of an increasingly blustery wind.

Jenson declared himself happy with the day’s progress, and his engineers have been extremely pleased with the extent to which he has been able to establish himself within the team, and the depth and scope of his feedback.

A few minor components will arrive overnight for evaluation tomorrow, but the main aim of the programme remains a continuation of today’s set-up development work.

Driver for day four Jenson Button

Testing times

1 Mark Webber Red Bull Racing 1m19.299115
2 Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1m20.115 132
3 Jenson Button Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 1m20.394 101
4 Nico Hulkenberg Williams 1m21.432 138
5 Michael Schumacher Mercedes GP 1m21.437 79
6 Robert Kubica Renault 1m21.916 100
7 Adrian Sutil Force India F1 1m21.939 69
8 Kamui Kobayashi BMW Sauber 1m22.228 28
9 Jaime Alguersuari Scuderia Toro Rosso 1m22.564 120
10 Lucas di Grassi Virgin Racing 1m23.504 34
11 Heikki Kovalainen Lotus 1m23.521 68

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:10 pm

TEST REPORT – JEREZ – DAY FOUR

Date Saturday February 20 2010
Drivers Jenson Button
Track length 4.423km

Weather Dry, with the occasional drop of rain. Blustery spells in the afternoon. Maximum ambient temperature 16.4°C, maximum track temperature 24.5°C

Laps completed 108
Kilometres covered 478km

Best laptime 1m18.871s

Programme The most consistent weather conditions of the entire test allowed Jenson and the team to power through a tyre compound evaluation programme, balancing aero and mechanical set-ups to the different types of tyre.

In the morning, Jenson completed a number of shorter runs on three separate tyre compounds, evaluating set-ups before switching to longer runs in the afternoon, with a view to evaluating the tyres’ durability.

Following his third test with the Vodafone McLaren Mercedes team, Jenson reported that he feels very comfortable and confident in the car.

The team decamps to Barcelona next week for the fourth and final test of the winter. Both drivers will spend alternate days in the car evaluating the new bodywork and aerodynamic components ahead of the season-opener in Bahrain on March 14.

Testing times Pos Driver Constructor Time Laps
1 Jenson Button Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 1m18.871 108
2 Robert Kubica Renault 1m19.114 117
3 Kamui Kobayashi BMW Sauber 1m19.188 117
4 Vitantonio Liuzzi Force India F1 1m19.650 80
5 Nico Rosberg Mercedes GP 1m20.061 130
6 Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1m20.436 137
7 Jaime Alguersuari Scuderia Toro Rosso 1m21.053 139
8 Mark Webber Red Bull Racing 1m21.194 87
9 Nico Hulkenberg Williams 1m21.919 137
10 Timo Glock Virgin Racing 1m22.433 28
11 Jarno Trulli Lotus 1m23.470 141

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:27 am

TEST REPORT – BARCELONA – DAY ONE

Date Thursday February 25 2010
Driver Jenson Button
Location Circuit de Catalunya, Barcelona
Track length 4.655km
Weather Consistently warm all day, with increased windy spells in the afternoon. Maximum ambient temperature 18.8°C, maximum track temperature 28.9°C

Laps completed 101
Kilometres covered 470km

Best laptime 1m23.144 at 16:46

Programme First day of the final test of the winter. Jenson kicked off running in Barcelona this morning, concentrating primarily on mechanical and aerodynamic set-up work.

Despite not setting any headline laptimes, the team declared itself pleased with progress, gaining a greater understanding of the behaviour of the Bridgestone tyre over a long run.

For tomorrow, Lewis takes to the circuit. He continues today’s programme, developing set-up and working with the tyres.

Jenson returns to the cockpit on Saturday before Lewis concludes the running on Sunday.

Driver for day two Lewis Hamilton
Duration of test Four days (February 25-28)

Testing times

1 Mark Webber Red Bull Racing 1m21.487 109
2 Nico Hulkenberg Williams 1m22.407 82
3 Nico Rosberg Mercedes GP 1m22.514 107
4 Pedro de la Rosa BMW Sauber 1m23.144 73
5 Jenson Button Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 1m23.452 101
6 Vitantonio Liuzzi Force India F1 1m24.064 65
7 Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1m24.170 74
8 Vitaly Petrov Renault 1m24.173 74
9 Jaime Alguersuari Scuderia Toro Rosso 1m24.869 111
10 Lucas di Grassi Virgin Racing 1m27.057 31
11 Fairuz Fauzy Lotus 1m28.002 76

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:02 am

TEST REPORT – BARCELONA – DAY TWO

Date Friday February 26 2010
Driver Lewis Hamilton
Location Circuit de Catalunya, Barcelona
Track length 4.655km
Weather Warm and sunny throughout the whole day. Maximum ambient temperature 18.1°C, maximum track temperature 31.1°C

Laps completed 93
Kilometres covered 433km

Best laptime 1m22.152s at 12:49

Programme Lewis took over from Jenson today, continuing the development work his team-mate began yesterday: refining set-up and evaluating tyres.

The morning was spent conducting shorter runs, attempting more experimental set-ups – changes that Lewis found beneficial to the car’s balance.

The different set-up changes caused several lengthy turnarounds in the morning before Lewis could concentrate on a single long-distance run in the afternoon – which was punctuated by several late red-flag periods.

Jenson is back in the car tomorrow, conducting further fine-tuning of MP4-25.

Duration of test Four days (February 25-28)

Testing times

1 Nico Hulkenberg Williams 1m20.614 99
2 Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1m20.637 134
3 Pedro de la Rosa BMW Sauber 1m20.973 114
4 Vitantonio Liuzzi Force India F1 1m21.056 90
5 Sebastian Vettel Red Bull Racing 1m21.258 125
6 Jaime Alguersuari Scuderia Toro Rosso 1m21.571 104
7 Michael Schumacher Mercedes GP 1m21.689 85
8 Lewis Hamilton Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 1m22.152 93
9 Robert Kubica Renault 1m24.912 53
10 Jarno Trulli Lotus 1m25.524 70