New Qualifying format - Confirmed (from the European GP)

Discuss all the aspects of the Formula 1 sport here

Moderators: cmlean, Ed, The Qualiflyer, The Heretic

sgd
Racer
Racer

Post by sgd » Tue May 24, 2005 9:41 am

Ed wrote:The FIA have confirmed that the new single session qualifying format has been approved by the competing teams and the Formula 1 commission.

So starting from the European Grand Prix there will be a single session single lap qualifying with race fuel on Saturday.

The order is in reverse of the finishing order of the previous race (winner out last).

Full statement
That means Webber will be fighting for the Pole in the the European Grand Prix.... will be interesting for sure (good that there you can overtake him easer after the 1st laps... :lol: :lol: :lol: )

also can't wait for the Minardi vs Jordan Q!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

==============
About this "new" system.. The Quali-fier said it all already.... :arrow:

Kapel
2004 Champ
2004 Champ

Post by Kapel » Tue May 24, 2005 5:03 pm

Finally a change in the qualifying which has bored us since the start of the season.

But i would've prefered,if the FIA needed on single Q, a low fuel qualifying.Atleast if would give us the idea as to which car is fastest on that circuit.

Anyway,a welcome change.

2006-Low fuel Q -12 laps - 1 hour :D
An F1 Idiot!!!

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Tue May 24, 2005 5:16 pm

Kapel wrote:Finally a change in the qualifying which has bored us since the start of the season.

But i would've prefered,if the FIA needed on single Q, a low fuel qualifying.Atleast if would give us the idea as to which car is fastest on that circuit.

Anyway,a welcome change.

2006-Low fuel Q -12 laps - 1 hour :D
Lets see how the format goes, it is better than we had :lol:
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

Graham Ross
Racer
Racer

Post by Graham Ross » Tue May 24, 2005 5:29 pm

julian mayo wrote: Lets see how the format goes, it is better than we had :lol:
You are kidding right ?

This is almost the same as last year :shock: :shock:

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Tue May 24, 2005 6:04 pm

Graham Ross wrote:
julian mayo wrote: Lets see how the format goes, it is better than we had :lol:
You are kidding right ?

This is almost the same as last year :shock: :shock:

Siiigggghhhh :roll: I will spell it out, then. Better than the Aggre-bloody- gate system, OK :roll:

Kapel
2004 Champ
2004 Champ

Post by Kapel » Tue May 24, 2005 8:27 pm

Its better though very similar to last year,but atleast we wont see a repeat of Australian GP grid,especially when we are entering the rainy GP weekends :D
An F1 Idiot!!!

F1greyhound
Over 500
Over 500

Post by F1greyhound » Thu May 26, 2005 8:22 pm

To me, this seems more boring than it was, I felt the only problem of the second qualifying was the Sunday, at least for us watching on TV.

Now that the race order decides for the final qualifying with full tanks, what do you expect? The Saturday Q will be slower probably with less risk.......

Last year was better to me but maybe they find an attractive regulation for next season............Oh, am I talking of Max and co.?

CHEERS!
YOURS IN SPORT

Kapel
2004 Champ
2004 Champ

Post by Kapel » Thu May 26, 2005 10:33 pm

F1greyhound wrote:Oh, am I talking of Max and co.?

CHEERS!
F1G,Do u actually think that the survet which FIA conducted would improve the show & they would actually take the pain of going thru all the responses & make changes accordingly??? :shock: :shock:

Yes the newQ is a bit like last year,but the good part is that on Saturday evening itself v'll all know whose on pole & then can drink with our friends in the bar discussing strategy :drink: :wink:

:cheers:
An F1 Idiot!!!

Kapel
2004 Champ
2004 Champ

Post by Kapel » Thu May 26, 2005 10:34 pm

N next year,see the return of low fuel-12laps-one hour qualifying :bouncec: :bouncey: :bouncest:

:cheers:
An F1 Idiot!!!

Graham Ross
Racer
Racer

Post by Graham Ross » Sun May 29, 2005 11:53 am

So we've seen the first "so called" new qualifying.

The previous one was bad because of the Sunday session but at least on Saturday we knew how fast the cars were on low fuel.

Now we know nothing :shock: :shock:

Well done to Williams but I am willing to bet they are much lighter than the others at the front. Even Kimi may be too.

I think we are stuck with this now but I hope they change it back to the old 12 lap low fuel one.

Byron Forbes
F3 Racer
F3 Racer

Post by Byron Forbes » Mon May 30, 2005 4:48 pm

Well, two things are clear here - most want to know what will happen in the race and many have no better ideas than what we have now.

Why would you want to know exactly how fast people are on low fuel anyway? Others may do bad laps and some cars might be better on heavier fuel loads. Just nonsense! And why do you want predictability anyway?????????

Others say we should go back to 1hr/12 laps????? Soft compound qualifying tyres??????????? Insane, 1 lap hotlapping that has no relevence to the race at all??????????? No thanks.

The system they have now is perfect imo. It's always an interesting strategic choice for the teams for both the race and qual and interesting to watch unfold for us spectators.

LEAVE IT ALONE NOW FIA!

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Mon May 30, 2005 4:54 pm

Byron Forbes wrote:Well, two things are clear here - most want to know what will happen in the race and many have no better ideas than what we have now.

Why would you want to know exactly how fast people are on low fuel anyway? Others may do bad laps and some cars might be better on heavier fuel loads. Just nonsense! And why do you want predictability anyway?????????

Others say we should go back to 1hr/12 laps????? Soft compound qualifying tyres??????????? Insane, 1 lap hotlapping that has no relevence to the race at all??????????? No thanks.

The system they have now is perfect imo. It's always an interesting strategic choice for the teams for both the race and qual and interesting to watch unfold for us spectators.

LEAVE IT ALONE NOW FIA!

I concur

JayVee
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by JayVee » Mon May 30, 2005 11:27 pm

Byron Forbes wrote:Well, two things are clear here - most want to know what will happen in the race and many have no better ideas than what we have now.

LEAVE IT ALONE NOW FIA!
Don't know how long you've been following F1 Byron but my strong view of going back to 12 laps on low fuel is splitting the event into 2. Qualifying shows us who is the quickest driver and the race shows us the best package overall.

I'd say most diehard fans would like to know who has the fastest car and the only way to acheive that is by giving each driver several shots under equal conditions. With single lap qualifying we have been robbed of the first event as qualifying is now just an extension of the race the next day.

Single lap qualifying on low fuel isn't fair to establish who is the fastest unless the two cars go out within a short time of each other.

The current qualifying tells us nothing about how fast a driver is when the car is pushed to the absolute limit.
It is simply the first 3 laps of a race then the start. But it is a very unfair way in that. Drivers going out early are penalised, that isn't fair. Also change in weather conditions, wind, sun, rain, etc is another factor that is added that can advantage/disadvantage whoever is on track. To me it is a flawed system designed to create an artificial exctitement and has failed miserably as this is the 4th variation I think of this single lap qualifying.
I'm back and yes supporting Alonso "The Cute" in the Ferrari!

JayVee
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by JayVee » Mon May 30, 2005 11:29 pm

julian mayo wrote:
I concur
:wha: :why: :beer:

Too much WT :shock: :shock:

I never thought you liked single lap qualifying
I'm back and yes supporting Alonso "The Cute" in the Ferrari!

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Tue May 31, 2005 7:28 am

JayVee wrote:
julian mayo wrote:
I concur
:wha: :why: :beer:

Too much WT :shock: :shock:

I never thought you liked single lap qualifying

I concur