The 93rd Indianapolis 500 Thread..............

All about Indy Racing League (IRL)

Moderators: Ed, mlittle

Who will win the 93rd Indianapolis 500?

Poll ended at Thu May 28, 2009 11:32 am

Scott Dixon
No votes
Dario Franchitti
No votes
Dan Wheldon
No votes
Danica Patrick
33%
Paul Tracy
No votes
none of the above
67%

Total votes: 3

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

The 93rd Indianapolis 500 Thread..............

Post by mlittle » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:32 am

In every major motorsports series, there is one track, one venue, that can inspire greatness in those who compete, a place where legends are born. In Formula 1 one looks at venerable circuits such as Hockenheim, Monaco, Silverstone; in NASCAR, one only has to gaze their sights upon the "World Center of Racing", Daytona; for fans of the Australian V8 Supercar Series, there is the always-challenging Mt. Panorama circuit.

In IndyCar racing, la place de magica, "the magic place", can only mean one place...........the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, 2.5 miles of central Indiana blacktop crowned with a "yard of bricks", ready to present its' laurels to whoever can master its' tricky nature over the course of 500 miles. Win here, and your name is forever enshrined on one of sports' most iconic trophies, the Borg-Warner Trophy.

93rd Indianapolis 500 Event Schedule...............
~~5 May 2009, Rookie Orientation Program Day 1, 2-5pm
~~6 May 2009, Rookie Orientation Program Day 2, 9am-2pm
~~6 May 2009, Practice Session #1, 2-5pm
~~7 May 2009, Practice Session #2, 12-6pm
~~8 May 2009, Practice Session #3, 12-6pm
~~9 May 2009, PEAK Pole Day Qualifying, 12-6pm
~~9 May 2009, Practice Session #4, 9-11am(and during lulls in qualifying)
~~10 May 2009, Second Day Qualifying, 12-6pm
~~10 May 2009, Practice Session #5, 9-11am(and during gaps in qual.)
~~14 May 2009, Practice Session #6, 12-6pm
~~15 May 2009, Practice Session #7, 12-6pm
~~16 May 2009, CokeZero Third Day Qualifying, 12-6pm
~~16 May 2009, Practice Session #8, 9-11am(and during gaps in qual.)
~~17 May 2009, Armed Forces Bump Day Qualifying, 12-6pm
~~17 may 2009, Practice Session #9, 9-11am(and during gaps in qual.)
~~22 May 2009, Miller Lite Carb Day, 11am-12pm
~~23 May 2009, Indianapolis 500 Drivers' Meeting(open to the public; held in the Tower Terrace next to the Bombardier Pagoda)
~~24 May 2009, 93rd running of the Indianapolis 500, 1pm(ABC Sports)
Last edited by mlittle on Wed May 05, 2010 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Indy 500 Spotlight--The Rookie Class of 2009

Post by mlittle » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:02 pm

Though four rookies competed in the first three IndyCar Series events of the season, those races were akin to dipping their feet into the water. Now, they're about to take the plunge.

On May 5, Stanton Barrett, Mike Conway, Robert Doornbos and Raphael Matos will begin preparations for the 2009 Indianapolis 500, "The Greatest Spectacle in Racing." Despite their different racing backgrounds, competing in the Indianapolis 500 has always been the ultimate goal.

Barrett, a native Californian, was hooked on the '500' even before he started racing as a teenager.

"I got to go there a couple of times and watch the race before I started racing," Barrett said. "In the '80s and '90s, when I wasn't in racing yet and watching it from a fan standpoint, that was the race to watch. I remember you always wanted to know who won."

Barrett's racing career took him to stock cars, however, where he made almost 200 starts between the NASCAR Nationwide Series and Sprint Cup Series.

"The Indy 500 is at the top of any kid's list," Barrett said. "Even a lot of the NASCAR guys would love to. When they found out I was going to run the Indy 500, they were like, 'Man, I want to go to the Indy 500 and watch you.' 'I've always wanted to run the Indy 500.' I think it's a race no matter what kind of racing you're in all those guys would want to race that race."

Conway and Doornbos grew up in Europe where Formula One
is king, but both kept their eyes on the Indianapolis 500.

"(The Indianapolis 500) is very popular in Europe," said Doornbos, a native of Rotterdam, Netherlands. "Many people know the race. A lot of people in Holland are proud that they have another Dutch guy there. If I can only do the same as what (two-time winner) Arie (Luyendyk) did, I will be very happy.

"You grow up with Formula One, so that was my dream, my target. To achieve that was great, but you kept an eye on the other part of the ocean, because you knew that they were racing at high speeds on ovals, extremely high speeds. You don't even do that in a Formula One car. I have to be honest, racing in the Indianapolis 500 is another boy's dream come true. I've been there with F1, drove the other way around, but you don't experience the same sense of what it's like. All the drivers who have been there many years keep telling me that it will be the best I've ever experienced, and it still surprises them every year."

Conway, who grew up in England, echoed those sentiments.

"When (Dan) Wheldon won it and Dario (Franchitti), that was massive. It was big news back in the U.K.," Conway said. "I suppose I won't really appreciate how big it is until I get there and experience it myself. I can't wait."

For Matos, who competed in the Firestone Freedom 100 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway last year, the Indianapolis 500 will be an emotional experience.

"It means a lot," the Brazilian said. "Since I was 7 years old, the Indy 500 was always the day my father and I would sit down in front of the TV and watch the race together. For me, it's a huge not only accomplishment, but also emotional time.

"I'm going to try and put that part behind us, the emotional part, and try to get the job done. It's an unbelievable feeling for us, the whole team, and I think we'll be very competitive there."

The four drivers and Indy-only rookie Nelson Philippe will participate in the Rookie Orientation Program May 5-6 before practice opens for all drivers on the afternoon of May 6. Their first chance to make a big impression will come May 9 on Pole Day when the fastest 11 drivers lock in starting positions in the 33-car field.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sat May 02, 2009 9:46 am

As it has since 1982, scattered details of history, tradition and competitors will resonate with Chip Ganassi when he drives through the North tunnel of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway on May 6.

"You think about the first time you were here, the first win you had here, and for me you think about all the time and effort you spent here," the five-time Indianapolis 500 starter and longtime IndyCar Series team owner says. "There have been some glorious moments, but at the same time some of our saddest moments here. The one constant that you have at Indianapolis is as they say it's 'The Greatest Spectacle in Racing.' I can't tell you how much every year I look forward to coming here for all those reasons and being part of a great event."

This year, Target Chip Ganassi Racing enters with the past two champions of the 500-Mile Race and IndyCar Series - Scott Dixon and Dario Franchitti.

Dating to the first American Automobile Association-sanctioned Indianapolis 500 in 1911, the FIA-sanctioned Monaco Grand Prix in 1950 and the NASCAR-sanctioned Daytona 500 in 1959, no team has ever paired the previous two winners of the sport's driver championship and its respective crown jewel event. However, success, as Ganassi notes, for a third consecutive year isn't predicated on that historical tidbit.

"You have to look at it from the fact that after winning in 2008 on the heels of losing it to Dario in 2007 a lot of things go through your head in 2009," he says. "Coming in to 2009, having those two guys on our team, it looks great on paper and looks like a winner for sure. The fact of the matter it's going to be more work than ever."

Still, Ganassi says, "We're up to the task and ready to go. The whole key is preparation."

That's where managing director Mike Hull, team managers Barry Wanser and Scott Harner and their respective crews come in. The opening practice session is 2-5 p.m. (ET) May 6.

"In open-wheel racing, I think what you try to achieve is winning the Indy 500 and surrounding yourself with the kinds of people it takes to continue to win," Hull says. "We've been very fortunate over time to have Target and all the associated support from Target and from all the vendors that supplied us the resources it takes to not only have the cars and the equipment and the kinds of things it takes to be successful, but it's allowed us to have championship-caliber drivers drive our cars. It's exciting to actually have two drivers with the pedigree that each has competing with each other and competing with other people on the racetrack. It's really going to be a lot of fun to experience this."

Dixon gained some momentum with a victory at Kansas Speedway last week, and Franchitti won in his second race for TCGR on the streets of Long Beach, Calif.

"Scott is a great competitor, and he's going to push me on," says Franchitti, who won the '07 500-Mile Race from the third starting position. "We're going to push each other, for sure. That's what it means to us and the team. We both believe we can do the job, Chip believes we can do the job, the guys on the team believe we can do the job."

In his heart, so does Ganassi......"They are very similar drivers in that they are both, calm, cool and patient and are equally adept on road courses as they are on ovals," he says. "I know we have had some pretty good duos in our cars over the years like (Jimmy) Vasser and (Alex) Zanardi, Vasser and (Juan Pablo) Montoya and Dixon and (Dan) Wheldon, but I think this one has the chance to be real special."

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

"Transformers" star to pace 93rd Indy 500 field...

Post by mlittle » Sat May 02, 2009 9:48 am

Emmy Award-winning actor Josh Duhamel will drive the 2010 Chevrolet Camaro Pace Car at the 2009 Indianapolis 500, leading the field of 33 drivers to the green flag May 24 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

Duhamel has starred in motion pictures and television since his breakthrough role as Leo du Pres on the ABC daytime drama "All My Children" from 1999-2002. He is set to reprise his role as U.S. Army Major Lennox in Michael Bay's upcoming action spectacular "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen." Steven Spielberg is an executive producer on the film, which is set for nationwide release June 24. The film also stars Shia LaBeouf, Megan Fox, Tyrese Gibson and John Turturro.

"The Indy 500 is a legendary race, and it's a great honor to be driving the Camaro Pace Car in it," said Duhamel.

Duhamel began acting in 1998 after an award-winning career as a model. He was nominated three times for a Daytime Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series for his role on "All My Children," winning in 2002.

In 2003, Duhamel began his role as Danny McCoy in the NBC prime-time drama, "Las Vegas." He continued in that role until the series ended in 2008.

North Dakota native Duhamel, 36, is married to Grammy-nominated singer-songwriter and actress Fergie.

"We're happy to welcome Josh Duhamel as Pace Car driver for the Indianapolis 500," said Joie Chitwood, Indianapolis Motor Speedway president and chief operating officer. "As a star in one of Hollywood's expected blockbusters this summer, it's only fitting that he will lead the field to the start of 'The Greatest Spectacle in Racing' on Memorial Day weekend."

Duhamel is familiar with the power and styling of the 2010 Chevrolet Camaro, as the car appears in "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen." Powered by the 6.2-liter LS3 all-aluminum Chevy V-8, the all-new 2010 Camaro produces 426 horsepower at 5,900 rpm and 420 lb-ft of torque at 4,600 rpm. It features a Tremec six-speed manual transmission and 3.45 axle ratio.

No drivetrain or suspension modifications are required to prepare the Camaro for its Pace Car duties. The only modifications to the vehicle include a fully integrated strobe system, including a GM-designed custom light bar utilizing Whelen 500 series linear strobes.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

New look for the #7............

Post by mlittle » Sat May 02, 2009 9:49 am

Danica Patrick has traded in the black and blue No. 7 car for an eye-catching black and orange model. Already, the Andretti Green Racing driver has a positive vibe about the car heading into the Indianapolis 500.

"I keep thinking (Dario) Franchitti won (2007) in an orange and black car," Patrick said after unveiling the new livery and paint scheme for the Month of May and remainder of the IndyCar Series season at the Indianapolis International Airport. "I think the colors are really sporty and very cool. It sort of reflects how I am. Edgy and fun."

Boost Mobile, the prepaid division of Sprint Nextel, in partnership with Motorola is the primary sponsor.

"At Motorola, partners like Boost Mobile and sponsorships such as Danica Patrick/Andretti Green Racing are key to our brand success," said Jean-Pierre Le Cannellier, senior director of North America marketing, Motorola Mobile Devices. "We are thrilled to kick off this joint sponsorship as Danica prepares to race in the Indianapolis 500 and as we introduce our latest Push-To-Talk device."

Coupled with the Boost Mobile $50 Monthly Unlimited cell phone plan, the Motorola Clutch i465 combines the power of Push-to-Talk and the convenience of a QWERTY keyboard. The Motorola Clutch soon will be available from Boost Mobile.

In celebration of their partnership, Boost Mobile and Motorola announced the Pop Your Clutch sweepstakes at www.popyourclutch.com. Fans can register for a chance to win a grand prize trip package to the Aug. 23 Indy Grand Prix of Sonoma County in Sonoma, Calif., and one of 10 Motorola Clutch i465 handsets, plus $150 of Boost Mobile service that will be given away after each of the 14 IndyCar Series events, starting with the Indianapolis 500.

Additionally, as part of the Pop Your Clutch sweepstakes, if Patrick wins the Indianapolis 500 on May 24, Boost and Motorola will give away 500 Motorola Clutch i465 handsets with $300 of Boost Mobile service to each of the winners.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Tag, Conquest confirmed for the 500..........

Post by mlittle » Tue May 05, 2009 11:33 am

It's been awhile since Alex Tagliani was called "rookie," but the designation is a badge of honor for the Month of May. The 36-year-old Canadian was confirmed by Conquest Racing as the driver of the No. 34 entry for the Indianapolis 500 and will participate in the Rookie Orientation Program at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway on May 5-6.

King Tut will join the effort for the month through major associate sponsorship from the Children's Museum of Indianapolis, which will promote the upcoming exhibition "Tutankhamun: The Golden King and the Great Pharaohs."

"It's every driver's dream to be at the Indianapolis 500," said Tagliani, who has competed in two of the three IndyCar Series races this season. "As a kid, I never thought I would make it here and even later on in my career because of the split, so it has always remained a dream of mine. It's the one race that has always sat atop my list.

"Finally, more than nine years after my first start in a major open-wheel series race, I will get to experience all that surrounds the famous Month of May and get to experience it during the kickoff of the Centennial Era Celebrations, which makes it even more memorable."

Tagliani will be the fourth rookie from Quebec since Jacques Villeneuve took part in his first Indy 500 in 1994.

"No matter how much experience you have behind the wheel, when you race at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway for the first time I think it's easy to feel like a rookie," Tagliani said. "It's such a unique track, there's nothing else like it."

"Tutankhamun: The Golden King and the Great Pharaohs" is on exhibit in Atlanta and will be housed at the Children's Museum of Indianapolis from Jun 27-Oct. 25.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Wed May 06, 2009 9:48 am

FIRESTONE FAST FACTS

IndyCar Series - Indianapolis 500 Mile Race
Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Speedway, Ind.
May 5-24, 2009 - Round 4 of 17

Race Distance: 500 miles/804.672 km (200 laps on the 2.5-mile/4.023-km superspeedway).

Television/Radio Broadcast: Live - Sunday, May 24 at noon ET on ABC, IMS Radio Network, XM Radio 145 and SIRIUS Radio 211. Qualifying days air live noon-6 p.m. ET on VERSUS.

Firestone Firehawk Race Tires Supplied:

* Full-month entries receive 35 sets (140 total tires) to use for practice, qualifying and the race. Short program entries receive 24 sets (96 tires) for the month. Drivers participating in the rookie orientation program receive four additional sets (16 tires) for the two days of ROP, and veterans taking a refresher test receive two additional sets (eight tires) to use in the ROP sessions. In total, Firestone has 4,900 dry-condition slicks available.

* One tire stagger of approximately 0.32 of an inch is available for Indianapolis. Stagger helps Indy cars turn more smoothly on oval tracks and is created by producing the right-rear tire with a slightly larger diameter than the left rear.

* Firestone is bringing a new Indy tire specification following a successful IMS tire test in September 2008. The new spec features improved compounds for all four positions and a slight change to the right-front tire body construction to aid in reducing understeer.

Al Speyer, Executive Director, Firestone Racing,
The racing world will focus on this palace of motorsports for the next three weeks, and with good reason. From rookie orientation through four grueling days of qualifying, to Carburetion Day practice and the great race itself, the Indianapolis 500 is like no other. The traditions, the emotions and the unexpected combine to make Indy the transcending event it has become - and Firestone is proud to play a part. We'll be honored come May 24th to crown the 60th Indianapolis 500 champion on Firestone tires, which is more than all other tire manufacturers put together. To reach that life-changing moment, all the Indy drivers this month will compete on a new Firehawk tire specification. The Firestone Racing engineers and chemists have fine-tuned the tire spec that performed so well and without issue the past two years on this demanding racetrack. We anticipate the newest generation Firehawks will continue that trusted tradition by giving all Indy drivers the reliable durability, consistency and top speeds they have come to expect from their Firestone tires.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Wed May 06, 2009 9:59 am

3-time Indy 500 winner Johnny Rutherford watches rookie entrant Raphael Matos exit pitlane during Rookie Orientation

If you think you can … don't.
3-time(1974, 1976, 1980) Indianapolis 500 winner Johnny Rutherford during the rookie drivers' meeting this afternoon

~~~No tweeting, texting or incoming calls. In fact, all mobile devices are holstered as six Indianapolis Motor Speedway newbies give their undivided attention to Brian Barnhart's cautionary notes regarding the two-day Rookie Orientation Program.

The brief and sober meeting precedes the annual four-phase program, which emphasizes driver discipline and decision-making. A poor start will impact the remainder of the month - even curtail an entrant's aspirations of competing in "The Greatest Spectacle in Racing" before it gets started. For auto racing's grandest stage encompasses the narrowest margin for error of any racetrack on the IndyCar Series circuit.

"It has always provided a great opportunity for them to get familiar with, what I think, is the most challenging and unique track in the world in an environment without the entire field breathing down their necks," said Barnhart, president of the competition and operations divisions of the sanctioning Indy Racing League. "Some people use the term 'get comfortable.' I don't know if anyone ever gets comfortable around Indianapolis running 220-plus mph.

"With reduced practice time leading into the weekends of qualifications, and if weather happens to hamper those days as well, it puts even more of a premium on getting the opportunity to get on track and get familiar with a very new environment."

Chase Rookie of the Year Award contenders Robert Doornbos, Raphael Matos, Alex Tagliani and Mike Conway were quickly up to speed. ROP consists of 10 consistent laps at four speed ranges (from 200 mph to 215-plus mph) in addition to car placement on the racetrack. Those four zipped through the phases. Nelson Philippe completed three of the phases and Stanton Barrett got through two phases during the three-hour session. They'll have a 9 a.m.-2 p.m. (ET) session May 6 to complete the process.

Doornbos recorded the quickest lap (40.5889 seconds; 221.735 mph) in the No. 06 Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing car.

"The common theme for a successful month is making good decisions," Barnhart tells the assembly. "It's the most unforgiving track and everything is magnified here."

A day earlier, each rookie participant received a ride-along tutorial from Al Unser Jr., Rick Mears or Johnny Rutherford - who have a combined nine Indianapolis 500 victories - highlighting points such as the deceleration lane off Turn 3, pit exit and the correct line to take entering the turns.

"The object is to give the officials and the people who have been here for a number of years and know how this place works a chance to watch you and make sure you don't start some bad habits," Rutherford said. "Believe it or note, at 200 mph the car doesn't feel as good at optimum 225."

Each of the driver coaches and Barnhart observe ROP from either the ninth floor vista of the Bombardier Pagoda with its bank of TV monitors or a spotter stand in one of the turns.

"I like to go to Turn 2 at the observer post on the outside of the track," Rutherford said. "I like to take new guys out to the black flag station at the exit of (Turn) 2, where the cars come right by the wall about 3 feet away, and let them see how fast they're going. When I came here, that's what the veterans told me to do when I had down time."

What held true in 1963 - Rutherford's first year at the Speedway - remains germane to the newest crop of competitors. Eight rookies have gone on to win the 500-Mile Race, the most recent Helio Castroneves in 2001.

"They get out there and run and then you'll go up to the driver and say, 'Do you have any questions?' And that's when they have the questions," Unser said. "That's when our role as driver coaches is important. It's all about communication with the driver and how they're feeling, and then you can give suggestions on how to make it better. It's to everybody's benefit. Safety is by far the most important thing."

As drivers file out of the A.J. Foyt room on Legends Row, a spectator asks Unser what's going through their minds.

"This is the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, the largest stadium in the world, the most important race in the world, the oldest race in the world. It is the race. Even the veterans have butterflies in their stomachs right now. Guaranteed," Unser said.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Wed May 06, 2009 10:12 am

ROP/Refresher Times,
5 May 2009

1} Paul Tracy, #15 GEICO, 40.323 sec/223.089 mph[25 laps]
2} Scott Sharp, #8 Patron Tequila, 40.563 sec/221.878 mph[26 laps]
3}(R)Robert Doornbos, #06 NHLR/Muermans, 40.589 sec/221/735 mph[72 laps]
4}(R)Raphael Matos, #2 U.S. Air Force, 41.169 mph/218.613 mph[80 laps]
5}(R)Alex Tagliani, #34 Rexall Edmonton Indy, 41.222 sec/218.333 mph[44 laps]
6}(R)Mike Conway, #24 DRR/Dad's Root Beer, 41.463 sec/217.063 mph[52 laps]
7}(R)Nelson Phillipe, #00 I Drive Green, 41.902 sec/214.786 mph[33 laps]
8} Alex Lloyd, #99 Target/SSM, 42.271 sec, 213.032 mph[10 laps]
9}(R)Stanton Barrett, #98 Interush/CURB, 43.369 sec/207.522 mph[26 laps]

---Rookie Entrants: Doornbos, Matos, Tagliani, Conway, Phillipe, Barrett
---Refresher Entrants: Tracy, Sharp, Lloyd

ROP Notes..............
~~~Doornbos, Matos, Tagliani and Conway passed all 4 phases of ROP and are cleared to practice at speed
~~~Phillipe has passed Phases 1-3*
~~~Barrett has passed Phases 1-2*
*--must compete remaining phases by 2pm Wednesday 6 May 2009

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

New look for the #4 at Indy..........

Post by mlittle » Thu May 07, 2009 3:12 am

---------New look to No. 4 car honors National Guard, Ruby

The No. 4 National Guard Panther Racing car remained in the garage because of the rain at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway on Opening Day. When it emerges, spectators will see something totally different than the traditional red, white and blue car.

Dan Wheldon's car will be full National Guard ACU digital camo for the Indianapolis 500, the Fourth of July weekend race at Watkins Glen International and two other IndyCar Series events this season. The style of the car's No. 4 was changed as well, to honor the late Lloyd Ruby, who passed away in March.

In addition, Wheldon is wearing a camouflage drivers' suit, made out of the same camo Nomex fire-retardant material National Guard Soldiers wear while serving the Nation.

"I don't think I look too bad in camo myself," Wheldon joked.

Ruby started the 1969 Indianapolis 500 with the No. 4, and team managing partner John Barnes used the style of Ruby's number that season to honor the popular Texan.

"It's always important to recognize the history of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and all the people who have been a part of making both the track itself and the Indianapolis 500 such a celebrated and historic event," Barnes said. "Obviously we're thrilled to have a camouflage car this month to celebrate the over 367,000 Soldiers in the National Guard, but we also wanted to honor Lloyd Ruby and what he's meant to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway."

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Honoring icons of the Brickyard............

Post by mlittle » Thu May 07, 2009 3:14 am

Graham Rahal wanted something special to pay tribute to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and its Centennial Era Celebration. He also wanted to honor the 1986 Indianapolis 500 victory by his father, Bobby. So Rahal will be wearing a helmet incorporating the Centennial Era logo and an image of Bobby Rahal with the Borg-Warner Trophy.

"The Indianapolis Motor Speedway is a race car driver's cathedral and the Indy 500 is the biggest race of the year," Rahal said. "I wanted to do something cool to honor the history of the Speedway, and my dad's win in 1986. I think we really hit on it with this helmet design."

The colors chosen and mixed for this helmet are such to give the helmet a vintage look with a modern twist by using different tints of gray, silver, beige, white and red. Just like every one of Graham's Artrotondo.com painted helmets, this helmet was painted using environmentally friendly paints that contain no toxic contents. The Centennial logos and the image of Bobby Rahal were free-hand drawn and colored by Art Rotondo before being placed on the helmet.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Fri May 08, 2009 12:09 am

ROP/Refresher Times
6 May 2009

1}(R)Nelson Phillipe, #00 I Drive Green, 41.344 sec/217.688 mph[18 laps]
2} Alex Lloyd, #99 HER Energy Drink, 41.955 sec/214.514 mph[11 laps]
3}(R)Stanton Barrett, #98 Interush/CURB, 42.524 sec/211.644 mph[5 laps]

ROP Notes...........
~~~Phillipe passed phase 4 of ROP and is cleared to practice at speed
~~~Barrett passed phase 3 but due to inclement weather was unable to pass phase 4; he will allowed to finish ROP prior to 10:30am 7 May 2009

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Marco fastest in Thursday practice

Post by mlittle » Fri May 08, 2009 10:16 am

While the first day of official practice at the Brickyard was all but wiped clean by rain, today saw a flurry of activity as teams got in tons of laps(2199 total)......leading the way was the #26 Venom Energy D/H of Marco Andretti, who set a blisteringly but "tow-set" speed of 225.478 mph[39.915 sec] around 3:30pm, a speed that was unmatched the remainder of the day.

"tow-set"......motorsports term signifying that the speed set during a practice session was garnered in part from the 'tow' of another race-car

~~~2 drivers set sub-40 second times in today's practice............
Marco Andretti, #26 Venom Energy, 39.915 sec/225.478 mph
Helio Castroneves, #3 Team Penske, 39.957 sec/225.237 mph
~~~One driver crashed during the session; the #21 IZOD/WilliamRast car of Ryan Hunter-Reay made contact with the turn 2 SAFER barrier.......RHR was checked at Clarion Medical Center trackside and has been cleared to continue practice
~~~Stanton Barrett completed all 4 phases of ROP and has been cleared to practice at speed

Top-10 and others of note..........................
1} Marco Andretti, #26 Venom Energy, 39.915 sec/225.478 mph[52 laps]
2} Helio Castroneves, #3 Team Penske, 39.957 sec/225.237 mph[64 laps]
3} Ryan Briscoe, #6 Team Penske, 40.017 sec/224.904 mph[63 laps]
4} Scott Dixon, #9 Target, 40.098 sec/224.448 mph[86 laps]
5} Dario Franchitti, #10 Target, 40.150 sec/224.160 mph[75 laps]
6} Dan Wheldon, #4 National Guard, 40.175 sec/224.042 mph[58 laps]
7}(R)Robert Doornbos, #06 NHLR/Muermans, 40.252 sec/223.592 mph[73 laps]
8} Danica Patrick, #7 Boost Mobile, 40.313 mph/223.253 mph[57 laps]
9} Graham Rahal, #02 McDonald's, 40.359 sec/222.996 mph[42 laps]
10} Will Power, #12 Verizon Wireless, 40.378 sec/222.896 mph[48 laps]

~~~Paul Tracy, #5 GEICO, 40.418 sec/222.671 mph[85 laps]
~~~Tony Kanaan, #11 Team 7-11, 40.432 sec/222.595 mph[59 laps]
~~~Scott Sharp, #16 Patron Tequila, 40.461 sec/222.437 mph[44 laps]
~~~John Andretti, #43 WindowWorld, 40.557 sec/221.910 mph[50 laps]
~~~Sarah Fisher, #667 Dollar General, 40.604 sec/221.655 mph[92 laps]
~~~Davey Hamilton, #44 HP/Kingdom Racing, 40.609 sec/221.624 sec[39 laps]
~~~Vitor Meira, #14 ABC Supply Co., 40.698 sec/221.142 mph[78 laps]
~~~Alex Tagliani, #34 Rexall Edmonton Indy, 41.005 sec/219.485 mph[55 laps]

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Fri May 08, 2009 10:22 am

For the record: Danica Patrick's milk choice for Victory Circle at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway is chocolate.

Patrick is the latest celebrity to join the multi-faceted National Milk Mustache "got milk?" campaign created in 1995 to promote the health benefits of milk. The poster unveiled at the Speedway, with Patrick wearing the milk mustache and a black "cat suit," will be included in the ongoing advertising program. "It's what I look like every day," the self-deprecating IndyCar Series driver said.

The Body By Milk education program, part of the overall "got milk?" campaign, encourages milk consumption for its protein and mix of nutrients, proper eating habits and staying active for optimal health and vitality. Jeff Gordon (1997) is the only other race car driver to have appeared in the national campaign.

"To be a part of a successful campaign that's been around for 14 years is a great honor," Patrick said. "I had a great time at the (photo) shoot and know all the secrets now about the milk mustache.

"I would definitely like the milk at the end of the month; it's such a tradition and just as much the (Borg-Warner) Trophy and checkered flag. Those traditions are deep-rooted here and what makes it such a special event."

Patrick, an instant international sensation during the 2005 Indianapolis 500 when she became the first female to lead laps, began preparation for a run at the checkered flag with a marathon practice session on the 2.5-mile oval. Pole Day is May 9; Patrick has qualified in the top 10 in each of her four previous visits.

She's coming off consecutive top-five finishes in the No. 7 Motorola entry prepared by Andretti Green Racing (streets of Long Beach and the 1.5-mile Kansas Speedway) and is sixth in the standings after three rounds. Patrick was eight-quick on the first day of all-car practice at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway (40.3130 seconds; 223.253 mph).

"We've had a good stretch of the year," Patrick said. "I don't think there's any one team that's out of reach right now, and that's a slight departure from what it's been the last couple of years in the races leading up to the '500.'Hopefully that will be an upper-hand for us as we tend to improve as we come to the Speedway."

Possibly Patrick received a good omen recently inside a fortune cookie: "I had two fortunes in there to start with. I didn't realize it had a second one. When I turned it over, it says, 'A four-wheeled adventure will soon bring you happiness.' That's got to be great."

What could be better than a milk and cookie combination?

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Fri May 08, 2009 10:23 am

Townsend Bell frequently glanced at the Timing & Scoring monitor during an interview relating to the announcement that he'll drive the No. 8 Herbalife/KV Racing Technology car beginning the second week of qualifying for the Indianapolis 500. The IndyCar Series veteran had to keep an eye on track activity - especially who was atop the speed chart on the initial day of all-car practice.

"This is a race that I can't miss; I have to be here, which makes it really exciting," said Bell, who made his Indianapolis 500 debut in 2006 with Vision Racing.

Bell, 34, who finished 10th in the 500-Mile Race last year with Dreyer & Reinbold Racing, will join Mario Moraes and Paul Tracy in a three-car effort. He was KV Racing Technology co-owner Jimmy Vasser's teammate in 2001 with Patrick Racing in CART, and "now I have the honor of racing for him." Bell also was the 2001 Indy Lights champion.

"If you look at the progression KV made last year coming in as a new team, post-Speedway their oval program really started to improve and it has carried through this year," said Bell, who has made 19 IndyCar Series starts. "I've been watching that. To me, it's just an incredible opportunity to come in and have no concerns about the competitiveness of the program and the quality of the equipment and people, and put what I know and what I've learned and put that to good use. I'm looking forward to having a fast race car and making the most of it."