Qualifying sorted - at last.

Discuss all the aspects of the Formula 1 sport here

Moderators: cmlean, Ed, The Qualiflyer, The Heretic

grandprixdiary
F3 Tester
F3 Tester

Qualifying sorted - at last.

Post by grandprixdiary » Fri May 20, 2005 9:05 pm

Its been confirmed by the FIA that from the European Grand Prix onwards qualifying will be a single-shot session on Saturday afternoon. The daft Sunday morning session is history. Good for the sport and good for TV but not so great for the fans at the races who get no F1 action at all on Sunday morning. I suppose there will also be a lot of happy F1 pit crew who now have a very quiet Sunday morning !
Cars will run in order of previous race finish - with the winner of the previous race out last. Cars will run on race fuel (and I presume race tyres) and go to parc ferme afterwards. Personally, I still prefer the old 'free for all system', qualifying was an art of timing, strategy and skill then, now its all a bit ordinary. But at least now its a lot more staright-forward than an aggregate system..

Rob

lemon_martini2
The Quizmaster
The Quizmaster

Post by lemon_martini2 » Sat May 21, 2005 4:54 am

Saturday quali always seemed a bit pointless.....all it did was decide the order for the 'proper' qualifying...so in effect fantastic flying laps or major offs didnt produce the change to the grid that they used to.One shot would be far better-if you screw up or do well then that will be reflected in your position...
Lemon loves Danielle Porta?ner for ever x x x

A NEW TRIVIA QUIZ WILL BE ARRIVING WITHIN THE NEXT FEW DAYS...LEMON'S BACK!

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sat May 21, 2005 9:20 am

Thanks Rob however the new changes have yet to be approved by the FIA. I'd say it is a formality but it hasn't been approved yet.

The teams have agreed to a single session on Saturday. Fax votes are due by Wednesday then the World Motor Sport council has to rubber stamp.

Max Mosley said
Now it's a question of whether we can get the world council to agree and the rest of the F1 commission.
I hope and think it's a formality and I'm trying to get it passed for the Nurburgring.
There is thread called "New Qualifying format ?", were this is discussed and the topic will change once approved.