94th Indianapolis 500

All about Indy Racing League (IRL)

Moderators: Ed, mlittle

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

94th Indianapolis 500

Post by mlittle » Wed May 05, 2010 4:41 pm

In every major motorsports series, there is one track, one venue, that can inspire greatness in those who compete, a place where legends are born...........
......in Formula 1 it is the grandest of all, Monaco.........
........in NASCAR, it is the highbanks of Daytona.........
..........in endurance racing, it is LeMans and the 24 Hours......
.........and in V8's, one only needs to look at Mt. Panorama and the Bathurst 1000............

In IndyCar racing, la place de magica, "the magic place", can only mean one place...........the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, 2.5 miles of central Indiana blacktop crowned with a "yard of bricks", ready to present its' laurels to whoever can master its' tricky nature over the course of 500 miles. Win here, and your name is forever enshrined on one of sports' most iconic trophies, the Borg-Warner Trophy.

94th Indianapolis 500 Event Schedule................
Sat., May 8th - Centennial Era Balloon Festival -Founders Race -7:30am, Concert/Fireworks -5-9:15pm (Gates open 5pm -9:15pm)
Sat., May 15th - Indianapolis Star Opening Day - Veterans-12:00pm-2:00pm - Rookie Orientation Program-2-6:00pm (Gates open 9am-6:00pm)
Sun., May 16th - Practice-12:00pm-2:00pm, Rookie Orientation Program- 2-6:00pm (Gates open 9am-6pm)
Mon., May 17th - Thurs., May 20th - Practice - All Cars- 12-6:00pm (Gates open 9am-6pm)
Friday, May 21st - Fast Friday - All Cars - 12-6pm ( Gates open 8am -6pm)
Sat., May 23rd - Pole Day Qualifying - Practice 8am-10am, Qualifications -12-6pm (Gates open 7am-6pm)
Sun., May 24th - Bump Day Qualifying -Practice 9am-10am - Qualifications 12-6pm (Gates open 8am-6pm)
Wed, May 26th - 500 Festivial Community Day - No Track Activity -(Gates open 9am-6pm)
Thursday, May 27th - Firestone Freedom 100 Practice & Qualifying - Practice -9-9:45am, 11:45am-12:00, Qualifying 3-4pm (Gates open 9am-6pm)
Friday, May 28th - Miller Lite Carb Day - Indy 500 Final Practice -11am-12:00, Firestone Freedom 100 - 12:30pm, Pit Stop Challenge -1:30pm-3pm, Miller Lite Carb Day Concert -ZZ Top -3:30pm (Gates open 8am-6pm)
Sat, May 29th - Public Driver's Meeting (Gates open 8-5pm)
Sunday, May 30th - Race Day - Indy 500 - 12:00noon, Green Flag -1:11pm - (Gates open 6am)
note...........Note- Versus will air practice summaries, qualifications and Carb Day activities
Last edited by mlittle on Mon May 31, 2010 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Wed May 05, 2010 4:42 pm

Track Map, Indianapolis Motor Speedway

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Wed May 05, 2010 4:45 pm

Current 500 Entry List
note......list subject to change at any time
W--past Indy 500 winner
R--Indy 500 rookie entrant

Raphael Matos, #2 HP-Symantec
(W)Helio Castroneves, #3 Team Penske
(W)Dan Wheldon, #4 National Guard
(R)Takuma Sato, #5 Lotus-Cosworth
Ryan Briscoe, #6 Team Penske
Danica Patrick, #7 GoDaddy.com
E.J. Viso, #8 PDVSA-JetAviation
(W)Scott Dixon, #9 Target
(W)Dario Franchitti, #10 Target
Tony Kanaan, #11 Team 7-11
Will Power, #12 Verizon Wireless
Vitor Meira, #14 ABC Supply Co.
Paul Tracy, #15 GEICO
Milka Duno, #18 CITGO
Alex Lloyd, #19 Boy Scouts of America
Ed Carpenter, #20 Fuzzy's Ultra Premium Vodka
Davey Hamilton, #21 HP Computers
Justin Wilson, #22 Z-Line Designs
Tomas Scheckter, #23 MonaVie Energy Drink
Mike Conway, #24 RollCoater/DRR
(R)Ana Beatriz, #25 Ipringa/FlowGuard Gold
Marco Andretti, #26 Team Venom Energy
(R)Sebastien Saavedra, #29 WilliamRast
Graham Rahal, #30 Rahal/Letterman Racing
Mario Moraes, #32 KV Racing
Bruno Junquiera, #33 Bowers & Wilkins
(R)Mario Romancini, #34 Conquest Racing
(R)Bertrand Baguette, #36 RAC Belgium
Ryan Hunter-Reay, #37 IZOD
A.J. Foyt, IV, #41 ABC Supply Co.
John Andretti, #43 Window World
(R)Jay Howard, #66 Tire Kingdom
Sarah Fisher, #67 Dollar General
Alex Tagliani, #77 Bowers & Wilkins
(R)Simona de Silvestro, #78 Team Stargate Worlds
Townsend Bell, #99 Herbalife
Hideki Mutoh, #06 Formula Dream
Last edited by mlittle on Wed May 12, 2010 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

PT, Barry Green reunited for 2010 Indy 500 run............

Post by mlittle » Wed May 05, 2010 4:48 pm

then-teammates Paul Tracy(L) and Dario Franchitti(R) discuss strategy w/Team KOOL Green co-principal Barry Green(C), 2002

KV Racing Technology announced that former Indianapolis 500-winning car owner Barry Green has joined the team as race strategist for Paul Tracy’s No. 15 GEICO – KV Racing Technology entry in this year’s Indianapolis 500 Mile Race.

Green and Tracy come back together at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway for the first time since the controversial 2002 Indy 500 finish when Tracy was awarded second place in the No 26 Team Kool Green car. In the 2002 event, Green and Tracy protested the finish as they believed Tracy had passed leader Helio Castroneves in Turn 3 of Lap 198 before the caution lights were lit for a Turn 2 crash. Green’s organization filed a written protest that was heard by a special committee. On July 2, the committee announced the protest was disallowed with Castroneves retaining the win.

Green later that year sold his Team Green operation to Michael Andretti, Kevin Savoree and his younger brother, Kim, and Andretti Green Racing was formed to compete in the 2003 IndyCar Series. “I’m very excited to return to the Indianapolis 500 and work with Paul again,” Green said. “Paul and I both feel we have some unfinished business at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. I want to thank (KV Racing Technology team owners) Kevin Kalkhoven and Jimmy Vasser for this opportunity to assist Paul and his GEICO crew throughout the month. I have worked with John D.ick (Tracy’s engineer) on numerous occasions and I believe we have a strong effort to challenge for an Indy 500 victory.”

Tracy, a six-time Indianapolis 500 starter, is delighted to have Green back calling his race this year. “With my tenure at Team Kool Green, Barry called every one of my races and called all of my race wins including winning the 2002 Indianapolis 500,” Tracy said. “When Jimmy (Vasser) and I sat down at Long Beach to discuss our Indy 500 plans, Jimmy told me he couldn’t be as hands-on with my car as he was last year. He asked me to explore the right person to help me at Indy.

"It didn’t take long to think of Barry. He has the same desire and commitment to winning as I do. Obviously, he was my choice to work with me this year." Tracy’s entry will be the fourth for KVRT in this year’s Indianapolis 500.Tracy will team with rookie Takuma Sato in the No. 5 Lotus - KVRT car, E.J. Viso in the No. 8 PDVSA – KVRT car Mario Moraes in No. 32 KV Racing Technology Hcar.

“Paul asked me about bringing Barry in for the Indy 500 and I was elated,” said Vasser, the 1996 CART series champion. “I had to race against Barry’s team for many years, and I can appreciate his expertise in calling races. Having him with KV Racing Technology gives us an added bonus as we prepare to enter the month of May and the biggest race in the world. I am very pleased with our four-car lineup for the Indy 500.”

Last year, Tracy drove the No. 15 GEICO – KVRT entry to ninth place at Indianapolis.He also competed at Milwaukee, Watkins Glen, Toronto, Edmonton and Mid-Ohio.
Last edited by mlittle on Wed May 12, 2010 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Homegrown sponsor for Vision/Panther 500 entry...........

Post by mlittle » Tue May 11, 2010 5:56 am

Fuzzy Zoeller has won multiple major golf events. Now the Indiana native is seeking to win the “major championship in the world of motor racing” through primary sponsorship of the Indianapolis 500 entry driven by veteran Ed Carpenter for Panther Racing from Fuzzy’s Ultra Premium Vodka. “I am very excited about our partnership with Tony (George), Ed (Carpenter) and Panther Racing, and their deep ties to Indiana,” Zoeller said. “I would love to add another major to my resume. Ed’s resume on ovals is impressive, so we think we have a shot.”

Carpenter will attempt to make his seventh consecutive Indianapolis 500 start. He has finished fifth and eighth in the past two races on the 2.5-mile Indianapolis Motor Speedway with Vision Racing.

“This is an exciting development for us,” Vision Racing team co-owner Tony George said. “The opportunity to have Fuzzy Zoeller be part of this collaboration between Panther Racing and Vision Racing, with sponsorship from Fuzzy’s Ultra Premium Vodka really gives us the confidence we can go out and win. Fuzzy is a true champion and knows what it takes to win. I am very grateful to Fuzzy and all the many people who have come together to support this effort.”

Panther Racing will field the No. 20 car along with its No. 4 National Guard entry for 2005 race and IZOD IndyCar Series champion Dan Wheldon, who was runner-up in the ’09 500 Mile Race.

“It’s an honor for both myself and Panther Racing to be able to partner with a Hoosier legend like Fuzzy Zoeller and have Fuzzy’s Ultra Premium Vodka as the primary sponsor on the No. 20 car,” said John Barnes, Panther Racing CEO and managing partner. “The opportunity we have to work with Vision and Tony George, who has been a good friend of mine for years, is extremely exciting for us. Now maybe Fuzzy can help us with our short game.”

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

HPD to hit 100 wins at the Brickyard........

Post by mlittle » Tue May 11, 2010 6:00 am

Since competing in Indycar racing in 1994, Honda Performance Development[HPD] has 99 wins to its credit; whoever wins on Memorial Day Sunday at Indy will make that 100 wins for Honda

Honda Performance Development and technical partner Ilmor Engineering will have prepared about 60 Honda Indy V-8 engines for use by IZOD IndyCar Series teams from opening day May 15 through the Indianapolis 500 on May 30. At Indy, Honda Performance Development, which joined the series in 2003 and stepped up to be the single engine supplier in 2006, will mark its 100th race victory.

"This is certainly a red-letter day in the history of Honda Racing," HPD president Erik Berman said. "It is first and foremost a tribute to the skill and efforts of a team of dedicated associates at Honda Performance Development and our technical partners at Ilmor Engineering, all of whom have contributed mightily to our IndyCar success over the years. It seems incredible that we have reached this milestone so quickly, given the strong competition we faced throughout our first three years in the series. "We are certainly proud of our 100 victories, but we are equally proud to have supplied the entire Indianapolis 500 field for the past four years without an engine failure, and we'll bring that same level of commitment to making it five in a row on the 30th of May."

It's no small accomplishment in the IZOD IndyCar Series with its high speeds and diversity of racetracks that engine reliability is a non-issue for teams. Through five races this season, more than 44,000 miles have been logged without an engine failure. “We’re very pleased to have had a clean race in Kansas (May 1),” HPD race team manager Roger Griffiths said. “It gives us a comfort level that the engines are running well going into the ‘500.’ ’’

Significant Honda moments in IZOD IndyCar Series history:
--March 2, 2003: After nine years of Championship Auto Racing Teams competition, Honda begins a new era of open-wheel racing in the IndyCar Series at Homestead-Miami Speedway.
--March 23, 2003: In Honda's second race as an IndyCar Series engine supplier, Andretti Green Racing's Tony Kanaan scores the first win for the manufacturer at Phoenix International Raceway.
--May 25, 2003: Honda returns to the Indianapolis 500 for the first time since 1995. Nine drivers, representing five teams, qualify for the race with Kanaan starting second and finishing third.
--May 30, 2004: Buddy Rice, driving for Rahal Letterman Racing, wins the Indianapolis 500, Honda's first "500" victory in just the company's fourth appearance at the Speedway.
--Oct. 17, 2004: Honda wins its first IndyCar Series Manufacturers' Championship, after posting 14 victories in 16 races during the season. Honda-powered Kanaan wins the drivers' championship; and Honda- powered Dan Wheldon is Rookie of the Year.
--May 29, 2005: Dan Wheldon scores Honda's second consecutive Indianapolis 500 victory en route to the drivers' championship.
--Oct. 16, 2005: Honda repeats as IndyCar Manufacturers' Champion with 12 race wins, while Honda-powered Danica Patrick is Rookie of the Year.
--March 26, 2006: Honda takes on a new role as single engine supplier for the IndyCar Series.
--May 28, 2006: For the first time, Honda supplies the entire 33- car starting field at the Indianapolis 500; and for the first time in "500" history, the race is run without a single engine-related retirement.
--Sept. 10, 2006: Honda-powered drivers and teams log 171,179 racing miles in 14 races, with just three in-race engine failures, in Honda's first season as single-engine supplier to the IndyCar Series.
--June 3, 2007: Honda records its 50th IndyCar Series win with Dario Franchitti, the most successful driver in Honda open-wheel racing history, claiming victory at Iowa Speedway.
--Aug. 24, 2008: Honda's IndyCar race victory No. 75 comes at Infineon Raceway, with Helio Castroneves taking the honors.
--May 24, 2009: For a record-extending fourth consecutive year, Honda powers the entire Indianapolis 500 starting field without a single engine-failure; only one engine failure is recorded during the entire 2009 season.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

And Beatriz Makes 5........5 women in this year's 500.......

Post by mlittle » Wed May 12, 2010 12:54 pm

-----And Bia makes five.

Dreyer & Reinbold Racing announced that Ana Beatriz will attempt to qualify for the Indianapolis 500 in the team’s No. 25 car. It’s the team’s fourth entry as Beatriz will join regular drivers Justin Wilson and Mike Conway plus former 500 Mile Race co-Rookie of the Year Tomas Scheckter.

“We are excited about having Ana back with the team,” team co-owner Dennis Reinbold said. “She did a great job for us in Brazil and it’s good to have her in our fourth entry. Ana really showed us her talent when we ran her back in March. We look forward to running her as she attempts to make her Indianapolis 500 debut.”

Beatriz will be the fifth female – the most in race history – attempting to qualify May 22-23 for the 33 starting positions, joining regular IZOD IndyCar Series drivers Simona De Silvestro, Milka Duno, Sarah Fisher and Danica Patrick.

Beatriz, a two-time race winner in Firestone Indy Lights, has competed the past two years in the Firestone Freedom 100 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway with a best finish of fifth in 2008 in a Sam Schmidt Motorsports car. That season, she finished third in the series standings.

A native of Sao Paulo, Brazil, Beatriz made her IZOD IndyCar Series debut in the Sao Paulo Indy 300 in March with a solid 13th place (advancing nine positions).

“I’m very excited to be back in an IZOD IndyCar with Dreyer & Reinbold Racing and to be competing in the biggest open-wheel event in the world, the Indianapolis 500,” said Beatriz, who will have primary sponsorship from Ipiranga, FlowGuardGold and/ Monange. “It will be a dream come true to have my debut in the Indy 500 in the Centennial Era and I hope to have a smooth and very competitive month of May. Hopefully my experience in Indy Lights can help me at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.”

Beatriz will join rookies Bertrand Baguette and Mario Romancini (Conquest Racing), Takuma Sato (KV Racing Technology), Jay Howard (Sarah Fisher Racing), Sebastian Saavdera (Bryan Herta Autosport) and De Silvestro (Team Stargate Worlds/HVM Racing) on the 2.5-mile oval May 15 for the initial day of orientation/practice.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Thu May 13, 2010 4:26 pm

----When Janet Guthrie was informed that Ana Beatriz was the fifth female entered in the Indianapolis 500, the racing pioneer reflected on how far women have progressed in the sport. “Frankly, I thought it would take longer than this,” Guthrie said. “I thought it would take two generations and it only seems to have taken one.”

Guthrie, who graduated from the University of Michigan with a degree in physics and started competing in sports cars, is the first female to compete in the Indianapolis 500. She started 29th and finishing 26th in 1977. She fared better in 1978, advancing six positions to finish ninth. Guthrie was an owner/driver in her final Indy 500 in 1979 with a 14th-place start and a 34th-place finish (a year in which 35 cars took the green flag).

Lyn St. James would follow Guthrie’s path to Indianapolis, competing from 1992 to 2000, with a high finish of 11th in her inaugural race. Sarah Fisher was a rookie in St. James’ final Indy 500 and is in her third season as an IZOD IndyCar Series owner/driver.

Danica Patrick became the first female to lead laps in the Indianapolis 500 during her rookie campaign in 2005 and went on to finish fourth. Patrick’s third-place finish in last year’s race is the highest by a female. Milka Duno of Venezuela has competed in the past three Indy 500s with a high finish of 19th in 2008.

This year, Simona De Silvestro of Switzerland and Beatriz of Brazil join the veterans for the first day of practice May 15. Guthrie believes both drivers are prepared to make the jump to the world’s biggest race. “I have watched Simona’s first races with very great interest,” Guthrie said. “So far, luck has been against her. It has been said that between being good and being lucky one might rather be lucky. Simona has shown a lot of talent and so has Ana Beatriz. My impression of Ana Beatriz is she really knows what she is doing. She is very capable.”

Guthrie also has followed – and at times advised -- Fisher during the transition from driver to driver/team owner (“She certainly has her hands full as an owner/driver and I keep my fingers crossed for her all the time.”)

All five women have benefitted from the exploits of Guthrie, St. James and Shirley Muldowney in the male-dominated world of auto racing. “Both Janet Guthrie and Lyn St. James are having a bigger impact now than when I first started because I was 19 and stubborn,” said Fisher, who will attempt to qualify for her ninth 500 Mile Race. “It was hard for me because I hadn’t really grown up yet to take a step back and look at it big picture. Now being able to share what I do with both Janet and Lyn – Janet wrote the forward to my book and Lyn took part in it, too. They have both been really good to bounce off with ideas and share where my business is going. They’ve learned a lot in racing.”

Guthrie will attend the Indianapolis 500 Old Timers Hall of Fame Banquet on May 27 and will be at the National Auto Racing Memorabilia Show on May 29 but will not be at the track on Race Day. “Even now, all these years later, since I didn’t quit willingly, I ran out of money, it’s a little painful for me to be around it,” Guthrie said. “I never have liked to be there as a hanger on. That doesn’t suit me.”

That’s the way it is with pioneers. When Apollo 11 began its journey to the moon on July 16, 1969, Charles Lindberg – the first aviator to cross the Atlantic Ocean – did not attend the launch. Guthrie does acknowledge a sense of pride in the number of cars that will have a woman behind the wheel. “I’m very glad to see it,” she said. “I thought it was going to take longer than that. I’ll be watching with the greatest interest, for sure.”

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Opening Day Thoughts..........

Post by mlittle » Sat May 15, 2010 8:19 am

---Scott Dixon glances to his left and right as if he’s watching a tennis match and smiles. “First of all, you have to pick yourself because if you don’t pick yourself you’re not believing in yourself,” the Target Chip Ganassi Racing driver says, referencing who’s the favorite to win the Indianapolis 500.

The statement elicits a couple of coughs and groans from fellow 500 Mile Race winners Dario Franchitti and Helio Castroneves, who happen to flank the IZOD IndyCar Series career victory leader. “To be honest,” Dixon continues, “it’s going to be very tough. Helio had great success last year and obviously is going for his fourth so he’s probably the pick of the bunch at the moment.”

Castroneves nods in agreement, but is quick to add that he estimates about a baker’s dozen of drivers will be true contenders to drink the milk on May 30. He'll be seeking his fourth 500 Mile Race victory. Six days of practice, weather permitting, precede Pole Day qualifications at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway beginning May 15 (noon-2 p.m. for veterans and 2-6 p.m. for rookies). The first 24 positions on the 33-car grid will be set May 22 and the remaining spots will be filled in the next 24 hours on Bump Day.

“I’ve had a bit of trouble sleeping the past few nights just thinking about getting on the track,” said Ryan Briscoe, who has started on the front row the past two years. “I’m excited about it. The Team Penske cars are running strong and I’m just really excited about our opportunities this year.”

Dixon, the 2008 race winner, enters practice with the momentum from winning the first oval race of the season (May 1 at the 1.5-mile Kansas Speedway) and top-five finishes in the past two road/street course races. “You can’t beat that,” said Dixon, who vaulted to second in the IZOD IndyCar Series standings with the victory. “It’s good having confidence going in because Indianapolis is so different than any other racetrack that we go to. You really have to change focus going into the Month of May. It’s two races with one going for the pole and the other trying to win the race.”

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Opening Day News, 15 May 2010

Post by mlittle » Sun May 16, 2010 4:30 pm

----Steve Luczo, Jay Penske and Gil de Ferran have streamlined the name of their team. Previously known as Luczo Dragon Racing/de Ferran Motorsports, the team is now named de Ferran Dragon Racing. "We changed the name because Luczo Dragon Racing/de Ferran Motorsports was too long," co-owner Steve Luczo said. "The placement of Gil's name first represents his vast accomplishments in the sport and his full time involvement as President of our race team." The team starts the 94th Indianpolis 500 with two cars driven by Raphael Matos, who will contest the entire season and Davey Hamilton.

----Firestone has produced 5,620 tires for the 94th Indianapolis 500. Each full-program entry will receive 33 sets (132 tires) for the event. Additional sets are available for drivers participating in rookie orientation and veteran refresher programs. A single tire stagger of approximately 0.30 of an inch is available for all cars.

Andretti Autosport has five cars entered in the 94th Indianapolis 500. Team owner Michael Andretti said the team has the experience to meet the challenge. "We did it twice when I was driving, so it shouldn't be that bad. We ran two weeks ago (at Kansas) with no problems. We think it brings value to the team."

Tony Kanaan got a taste of all five cars on opening day, shaking each one down before turning it over to its respective driver. Kanaan placed 5th, 6th, 15th, 16th and 25th fastest on the speed charts. He was fastest in John Andretti's No. 43 (224.793 mph). He was a tick slower in his own No. 11 (224.685 mph)

----Roberto Guerrero is back at Indianapolis. Guerrero is coaching Bryan Herta Autosport driver Sebastian Saavedra, who will attempt to qualify for his first Indianapolis 500. Saavedra is competing fulltime in the firestone Indy Lights Series.

----Gustavo Yacaman topped the speed charts in a single day Open Test at Indianapolis Motor Speedway on May 14. Yacaman turned a lap of 47.2493 seconds, 190.511 mph, in his No. 10 Cape Motorsport with Wayne Taylor Racing entry. "I'm not surprised," Yacaman said. "(Engineers Nicholas and Dominic) Cape had a great car two years ago with J.R. (Hildebrand) and the car was really good. The credit goes to them. All I had to do was sit there with the pedal to the metal. "

Yacaman visited the NASCAR tire test at the Speedway in April where he received advice from Juan Pablo Montoya. "I think spending a few days with Juan really helped me a lot," Yacaman said. "I think he helped me get really comfortable with the car and he gave me some really good tips that showed up today. Hopefully we can keep this up for the race."

Pippa Mann was second fastest with a lap of 47.3125, 190.225 mph followed by Jeff Simmons (190.072), Charlie Kimball (189.864) and defending race winner Wade Cunningham (189.672). The Firestone Indy Lights Series returns to the track on May 27 for practice and qualifying for the Freedom 100 held the following day.

----Jeff Simmons and Wade Cunningham participated in Firestone Indy Lights testing at the Speedway yesterday. Simmons signed to drive with Team E for the May 28 race, while 2005 Firestone Indy Lights champion Wade Cunningham returns to defend his 2009 race win with Sam Schmidt Motorsports."I wanted to build up gradually, and I think it was a testament to everybody at Team E that we were so quick right off the bat," said Simmons. "The last time I raced was Kentucky of '08, so to be able to have a car that I could be confident in was great. We were quick all day - basically in the top three all day - and if we wanted to play the super-drafting game at the end we probably could have gone a little quicker."

----Conquest Racing is will field two rookies at Indianapolis this year. Drivers Mario Romancini and Bertrand Baguette accompanied team owner Eric Bachelart on a visit to Turn three this afternoon to observe the veterans practice. The team is no stranger to fielding rookies. In its three visits to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Conquest Racing has competed with rookie drivers. In 2002, it was Frenchman Laurent Redon, who took the year-end Rookie of the Year title. In 2008, it was a pair of Brazilian rookies in Enrique Bernoldi and Jaime Camara and last season Conquest Racing claimed Indy 500 Rookie of the Year honors with Alex Tagliani.

----Roger Yasukawa was in Turn three today spotting for Lotus KV-Racing Technology driver Takuma Sato.

----Jaques Lazier was turning laps in Gasoline Alley today. "It's Indy; it's the month of May," said Lazier, "so there are always opportunities, but I would think they are very far and few between. We were close to getting something done. Unfortunately that fell through."

----Quick Trim is sponsoring the father-son effort at Rahal Letterman Racing. Graham Rahal will drive the No. 30 Quick Trim Dallara/Honda entered by his father, 1986 Indy 500 winner Bobby Rahal. Quick Trim is also promoted by Kim and Khloe Kardashian of Keeping Up With the Kardashians.

----Opening ceremonies included a parade lap by 125 Chevrolet Camaros owned by Indiana residents. The Camaro has served as the pace car for the Indianapolis 500 six times (1967, '69, '82, '93, 2009 and '10)

----Seven drivers must complete their Rookie Orientation: Takuma Sato, Ana Beatriz, Sebastian Saavedra, Mario Romancini, Bertrand Baguette, Jay Howard and Simona de Silvestro.

The four phases of ROP include 10 laps at each of the following speeds:
200-205 mph
205-210 mph
210-215 mph
215+ mph

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Spiderman Fastest on Opening Day at the Brickyard

Post by mlittle » Sun May 16, 2010 4:34 pm

-----Team Penske's Helio Castroneves led all drivers for the top speed around Indianapolis Motor Speedway on Saturday as preparations for the 2010 Indianapolis 500 commenced in Speedway, Indiana. Castroneves' lap of 226.603 mph was best among twenty-seven veteran competitors to take to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway during early afternoon practice that preceded the Indy 500 Rookie Orientation Program. Second on the scoring pylon at the end of the day was Ganassi Racing's Dario Franchitti at 226.535 mph, followed by teammate Scott Dixon with a best lap of 226.237 mph.

Castroneves spent the entirety of his track time on Saturday in his backup, the No. 3T car. "So far, the car seems to be where we want it," the three-time Indianapolis champion said. "It's always good to start on a positive note, but there's still a lot of work to do."

Franchitti commented, "It was a pretty solid day. To have the car feeling so good this early is encouraging. It was a nice way to start." Former Indy 500 winner Dan Wheldon in the Panther Racing entry was fourth with a speed of 225.609 mph.

Andretti Autosport's Tony Kanaan took turns behind the wheel of each of his four teammates' cars during the session. His best lap of 224.793 mph came in the No. 43 machine that John Andretti will attempt to qualify. The speed put him fifth on the timesheet.

"We just wanted to make sure all of the cars had the same feel," said Kanaan of his round robin of the racing cockpits. "We wanted to make sure we all had the same starting point, and they (the team) voted me the guy to do that." Kanaan was classified sixth officially in the standings as well, posting a lap at 224.685 mph in his own No. 11 car. His 36 laps in five cars trailed only Alex Lloyd's 39 laps for most laps completed by a driver on Saturday.

Ed Carpenter (224.592 mph), Marco Andretti (224.466 mph), Ryan Briscoe (224.384 mph), and John Andretti (224.324 mph) rounded out the top ten drivers on the day.

Seven rookie drivers looking to crack onto the grid for the race field of thirty-three began the Rookie Orientation Program (ROP) following the two-hour veteran practice session. Quickest was Jay Howard with a speed-controlled lap of 215.039 mph. Ana Beatriz, Takuma Sato, Sebastian Saavedra, Mario Romancini, Bertrand Baguette, and Simona de Silvestro followed.

The ROP serves as initiation to the banked speedway's ninety-degree turns and long, narrow straightaways where maximum speeds may approach 235 mph. The test begins at 200 mph and climbs progressively by five mph increments through 215 mph. Completion of the program permits rookie drivers to attempt to qualify for the 500-mile race to be held on May 30. "They told me I couldn't go any faster," said a smiling Howard later. "I'm excited. I feel good."

Five drivers who started the Indy 500 previously, but have not driven competitively recently, also took turns with the rookies. Tomas Scheckter was fastest, recording laps in excess of 220 mph. Graham Rahal, Townsend Bell, Davey Hamilton and AJ Foyt IV also must run with the first-timers for a brief refresher to the big oval.

The rookie session ended temporarily at 2:05 PM EDT when light rain showers erupted, then quickly abated. The period resumed on a dry track at 4:48 PM EDT. The track was declared officially closed for the day at 5:30 PM EDT when rain showers returned.

Conditions were excellent at Noon when the green flag dropped to signal the race course open for the two-week practice and qualifications leading up to this year's 500. Ambient temperature was 66 degrees Fahrenheit under partly cloudy skies in central Indiana. Track temperature was 99 degrees Fahrenheit.

Castroneves was first out onto the racing surface, exiting his pit box at the far southern end of pit lane at precisely Noon EDT. Forty-two cars total are here at the Speedway as of opening day, with 36 fully tech-qualified to compete on the racecourse.

Practice continues on Sunday with another two-hour veteran session scheduled to begin at Noon EDT, followed by ROP. Gates open at 9AM EDT. The track closes at 6 PM EDT.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sun May 16, 2010 4:42 pm

Opening Day Times---ROP and Refresher

1} Tomas Scheckter, #23 MonaVie Energy Drink, 40.611 sec/221.616 mph
2} Graham Rahal, #30 QuickTrim, 40.920 sec/219.943 mph
3} Townsend Bell, #99 Herbalife, 40.979 sec/219.624 mph
4}(R)Jay Howard, #66 Tire Kingdom, 41.853 sec/215.039 mph
5}(R)Ana Beatriz, #25 Ipringa/FlowGuard Gold, 42.095 sec/213.802 mph
6}(R)Simona de Silvestro, #78 Team Stargate Worlds, 42.096 sec/213.797 mph
7}(R)Takuma Sato, #5 Lotus-Cosworth, 42.655 sec/210.997 mph
8}(R)Sebastien Saavedra, #29 WilliamRast, 42.668 sec/210.929 mph
9}(R)Mario Romancini, #34 Conquest Racing, 48.530 sec/185.452 mph
10}(R)Bertrand Baguette, #36 RAC Belgium, no posted time
11} A.J. Foyt, IV, #41 ABC Supply Co., no posted time

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Speeds increase on Day 2 at the Brickyard.............

Post by mlittle » Mon May 17, 2010 1:43 pm

Sparks flew from the cars, times fell and speeds increased on the second day of practice for the 94th Indianapolis 500

-----Seven rookies passed muster and another half-dozen breezed through their refresher programs. Soon afterward – on a cloudy and cool afternoon – the Indianapolis Motor Speedway came to life with 33 drivers getting the green flag to seek the speed necessary to pocket the $175,000 pole prize and the consistency to attain a bigger payday May 30.

Day 2 of practice for the Indianapolis 500 was interrupted a few times for moisture on the mammoth racing surface, but it didn’t drench lap speeds. For the second day in a row, Helio Castroneves paced the field with a lap of 227.046 mph (39.6395 seconds) and six topped 225 mph. "Despite the weather, with it raining off and on, we were still able to work on some areas to make the car better for the race," Castroneves said. "It's always good to be out there learning something. On the fast lap, I just put myself in a good position to get a good draft and we wound up with a faster lap than yesterday (226.603 mph)."

Practice for all entrants continues May 17 (noon-6 p.m. ET) in preparation for new two-stage Pole Day qualifications May 22. The seven drivers completed the four-phase Rookie Orientation Program, which consists 10 laps each of 200-205 mph, 205-210 mph, 210-215 mph, 215+ mph and is mandatory in order to be eligible to compete in the Indianapolis 500. They then joined in the all-skate session for the remaining three hours.

Overall, 1,375 laps were recorded with a lone incident in which Dan Wheldon’s No. 4 National Guard Panther Racing car made contact with the Turn 4 SAFER Barrier. He was sixth quick (224.583 mph) at the time of the incident. “It’s obviously not the way you want to start the second day at Indianapolis,” said Wheldon, who bruised his right foot in the incident. “I think the team is very well prepared for this month and everyone could see the National Guard Panther Racing car’s pretty quick.”

So are a number of others. Target Chip Ganassi Racing teammates Scott Dixon (226.202) and Dario Franchitti (226.044) followed Castroneves, who is seeking a record-tying fourth 500 Mile Race victory. Will Power, the IZOD IndyCar Series points leader driving the No. 12 Verizon team Penske entry, emerged with a best lap of 225.600 mph, and Tony Kanaan was fifth at 225.524 mph in the No. 11 Team 7-Eleven car for Andretti Autosport. “The weather could be much different next weekend so we’ll have to wait and see if what we learned today is helpful for qualifying,” Power said. “All the Team Penske cars seem to be quick, and we’ll continue to fine-tune things so we’re prepared when it comes time to qualify.”

Mario Moraes, seeking to qualify for his third Indy 500, also topped 225 mph in the No. 32 KV Racing Technology car (225.043) – one of four entries for the team co-owned by Jimmy Vasser and Kevin Kalkhoven. “We are right where we want to be with our settings,” Moraes said. “Our team is working on a variety of things with each of the drivers. We’ll continue to work on our program that was laid out for us before we came to the track this month.”

Ryan Briscoe (224.559), Marco Andretti (224.489) and Graham Rahal (224.320) also were in the top 10. A.J. Foyt Racing’s Vitor Meira and A.J. Foyt IV were in the top 15, while Townsend Bell (like Foyt an Indy 500-only participant) was 12th in the No. 99 Herbalife Ganassi/Schmidt Racing car. “Today was the first day that we really started working on set up -- on the ‘500’ program,” said Meira, who last year suffered broken vertebrae in a Race Day crash. “It was very good, we tried different setups, learned about the setups that we have, they’re both good but one is better than the other.”

Ana Beatriz (22nd at 221.705), who has competed in the past two Firestone Freedom 100 races at the Speedway, led the rookies.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Mon May 17, 2010 1:45 pm

Day 2 Practice Times---ROP and Refresher
from L-R: position, car #, driver, team, laps completed, time, gap, gap to 1st, speed

1. 66 Jay Howard* Sarah Fisher Racing 57 40.3970 222.789
2. 41 A.J. Foyt IV A.J. Foyt Racing 29 40.6240 0.2270 0.2270 221.544
3. 78T Simona De Silvestro* Stargate/HVM Racing 68 40.6559 0.0319 0.2589 221.370
4. 21 Davey Hamilton de Ferran Dragon Racing 36 40.8495 0.1936 0.4525 220.321
5. 5 Takuma Sato* KV Racing Technology 42 40.8655 0.0160 0.4685 220.235
6. 25 Ana Beatriz* Dreyer & Reinbold Racing 42 40.9434 0.0779 0.5464 219.816
7. 36 Bertrand Baguette* Conquest Racing 86 41.1431 0.1997 0.7461 218.749
8. 34 Mario Romancini* Conquest Racing 88 41.3100 0.1669 0.9130 217.865
9. 29 Sebastian Saavedra* Bryan Herta Autosport 13 42.1586 0.8486 1.7616 213.480
*--2010 Indy 500 rookie entrant

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Mon May 17, 2010 1:46 pm

Day 2 Practice Times--All Competitors
1. 3 Helio Castroneves Team Penske 32 39.6395 227.046
2. 9 Scott Dixon Chip Ganassi Racing 14 39.7875 0.1480 0.1480 226.202
3. 10 Dario Franchitti Chip Ganassi Racing 23 39.8152 0.0277 0.1757 226.044
4. 12 Will Power Team Penske 28 39.8937 0.0785 0.2542 225.600
5. 11 Tony Kanaan Andretti Autosport 29 39.9070 0.0133 0.2675 225.524
6. 32 Mario Moraes KV Racing Technology 21 39.9924 0.0854 0.3529 225.043
7. 4 Dan Wheldon Panther Racing 27 40.0742 0.0818 0.4347 224.583
8. 6 Ryan Briscoe Team Penske 47 40.0786 0.0044 0.4391 224.559
9. 26 Marco Andretti Andretti Autosport 33 40.0910 0.0124 0.4515 224.489
10. 30 Graham Rahal Rahal Letterman Racing 48 40.1212 0.0302 0.4817 224.320
11. 14 Vitor Meira A.J. Foyt Racing 38 40.1553 0.0341 0.5158 224.130
12. 99 Townsend Bell CGR/Sam Schmidt Motorsports 20 40.2735 0.1182 0.6340 223.472
13. 7 Danica Patrick Andretti Autosport 36 40.2898 0.0163 0.6503 223.382
14. 41 A.J. Foyt IV A.J. Foyt Racing 15 40.4010 0.1112 0.7615 222.767
15. 06T Hideki Mutoh Newman/Haas Racing 34 40.4127 0.0117 0.7732 222.702
16. 22 Justin Wilson Dreyer & Reinbold Racing 36 40.4486 0.0359 0.8091 222.505
17. 8 E.J. Viso KV Racing Technology 24 40.4899 0.0413 0.8504 222.278
18. 2 Raphael Matos de Ferran Dragon Racing 40 40.5056 0.0157 0.8661 222.191
19. 67 Sarah Fisher Sarah Fisher Racing 11 40.5126 0.0070 0.8731 222.153
20. 43 John Andretti R.Petty/Andretti Autosport 39 40.5167 0.0041 0.8772 222.131
21. 15 Paul Tracy KV Racing Technology 34 40.5654 0.0487 0.9259 221.864
22. 25 Ana Beatriz* Dreyer & Reinbold Racing 9 40.5945 0.0291 0.9550 221.705
23. 20 Ed Carpenter Panther/Vision Racing 23 40.6256 0.0311 0.9861 221.535
24. 77 Alex Tagliani FAZZT Race Team 19 40.6353 0.0097 0.9958 221.482
25. 23 Tomas Scheckter Dreyer & Reinbold Racing 22 40.7135 0.0782 1.0740 221.057
26. 19 Alex Lloyd Dale Coyne Racing 45 40.7204 0.0069 1.0809 221.019
27. 37 Ryan Hunter-Reay Andretti Autosport 6 40.7285 0.0081 1.0890 220.975
28. 34 Mario Romancini* Conquest Racing 29 40.8544 0.1259 1.2149 220.295
29. 5 Takuma Sato* KV Racing Technology 14 40.8973 0.0429 1.2578 220.063
30. 24 Mike Conway Dreyer & Reinbold Racing 20 40.9380 0.0407 1.2985 219.845
31. 36 Bertrand Baguette* Conquest Racing 21 40.9631 0.0251 1.3236 219.710
32. 18 Milka Duno Dale Coyne Racing 32 41.0469 0.0838 1.4074 219.261
33. 29 Sebastian Saavedra* Bryan Herta Autosport 45 41.1116 0.0647 1.4721 218.916
*--2010 Indy 500 rookie entrant