Commentaries From The Paddock

All about Indy Racing League (IRL)

Moderators: Ed, mlittle

Which IndyCar Series driver will win the championship in 2005?

Poll ended at Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:47 pm

Dan Wheldon
100%
Tony Kanaan
No votes
Sam Hornish, Jr.
No votes
Vitor Meira
No votes
none of the above
No votes
none of the above
No votes

Total votes: 4

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Commentaries From The Paddock

Post by mlittle » Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:47 pm

Now this thread's gonna' need some explaining....

Unlike the stories from the paddock thread, which is a light-hearted, friendly peek inside the IndyCar world, this thread will deal w/some of the more pressing issues facing the series. And, believe me, having followed AOWR(American Open-Wheel Racing) for a while, there's plenty to comment about, especially nowadays. As with the other threads, don't hesitate to comment, good or bad, positive or negative, whatever your opinion is, state it, just keep it clean as they say.
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Open-Wheel Musicial Chairs I

Post by mlittle » Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:22 pm

It seems as though I've seen this same pattern before....Back in the late 1990's it seemed as though CART(now ChampCar) had all the marbles over the IRL. They had four engine manufacturers(Mercedes-Ilmor, Ford-Cosworth, Honda and Toyota) while Indy had just two(Olds Aurora and Infiniti), three different chassis(Swift, Reynard and Lola) to Indy's two-and-a-half(Dallara, G-Force and Riley-Scott), and all the big teams(Player's-Forsythe, Newman-Haas, Penske, Ganassi, Rahal, etc.) while Indy had what passed for CART's backmarkers(Hemelgarn, Menard, Foyt Racing). My, how times have changed.

Flash forward to 2005...Now the situation is reversed; the IRL now has the engines(Chevy, Honda and Toyota), the chassis(Dallara and Panoz) and the big teams(Penske, Rahal-Letterman, Andretti-Green) while ChampCar has essentially a spec-engine/chassis setup(Ford-Cosworth/Lola) and only 2 large teams(Forsythe and NHR). Yet its' the IRL that has headaches, not ChampCar. Why?

Try the fact that unless somebody close to George and Co. finds another engine builder to supplement Honda, HPD could become the sole supplier for them, and as I've stated in a couple of postings elsewhere, Honda does not want that to happen. So who could step in? That's the question...If everything I've read is correct, then it will be one of three different companies--Mazda, Porsche or Hyundai. Yeah, Hyundai, a company which Honda looks down upon and considers 'inferior' to them. Yet, Honda is also talking about competing in the American Le Mans Series agst. Porsche next year, in the series' LMP-2 class. So why would ChampCar be smiling at this prospect?

Consider the potential competition that could exist there. Porsche plans on making its' ALMS debut later on this year at the Petit Le Mans(10-hr/1000 mile endurance race) w/Roger Penske spearheading their efforts. Honda, craving competition as it does, might challenge Porsche using its' two 'power-teams', Rahal-Letterman and Andretti-Green. Unfortunately, the ALMS has a close supporter in, you guessed it, ChampCar.

Finally, consider this potential headache for the IRL. After a few months of talking between some the two series' principles(George, Kalkhoven, Barnhart, and others) there seems to be no merger or reunification coming, meaning that both series will be competing for the same venues, sponsorships, teams and yes, drivers. The end result...each side will do whatever is in its' interest to "out-duel" the other, something they've been doing since the split but w/renewed vigor since 2003. While the other series is content w/a spec-E/C setup, it must give the IRL migraines thinking about all the potential pitfalls ahead of them. Somewhere, the former president of CART, Andy Craig, must be laughing hysterically at George and Co. It only seems fitting that, 10 yrs. ago, CART was dominant and the IRL wasn't. Now, it seems reversed but looks could be deceiving. One only wonders what OW-style musical chairs will be played come 2006.
Last edited by mlittle on Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:21 pm

What goes around comes around. Ah well, happy "JOOLY 4th" for tomorrow, which is actually today, but today is yesterday if... I think I might go to the bar now :shock:
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:39 am

Ain't it the truth, julian? Now you know why I hope that F1 doesn't split itself apart like CART did in 1996.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:22 am

mlittle wrote:Ain't it the truth, julian? Now you know why I hope that F1 doesn't split itself apart like CART did in 1996.
yeah, any time a group of individuals put their own interests first guarantees that the fans cop it in the neck. That is why Mosley has to go from the FIA. IMHO he is only interested in what is good for Max, and, as the leader his influence is far reaching, and the damage widespread. He is incapable of rising above personal attitudes and bias.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:06 am

You know, the more that I read about Mosely and the power he wields w/in the FIA, the more I'm starting to feel just a little bit sorry for Tony George. Hopefully, Mosely'll go before too much damage to Formula 1 is done by that bunch of scalawags.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:16 am

mlittle wrote:You know, the more that I read about Mosely and the power he wields w/in the FIA, the more I'm starting to feel just a little bit sorry for Tony George. Hopefully, Mosely'll go before too much damage to Formula 1 is done by that bunch of scalawags.
fron what I hear about Tony, he and Mosely deserve each other!

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:27 am

No, putting those two characters in the same room might be cruel and unusual punishment...Come to think of it, w/the USGP fiasco, if you put those two in the same room together...maybe it's just me, but I doubt both of them would be walking out of that room.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:42 am

mlittle wrote:No, putting those two characters in the same room might be cruel and unusual punishment...Come to think of it, w/the USGP fiasco, if you put those two in the same room together...maybe it's just me, but I doubt both of them would be walking out of that room.
With a bit of luck, neither would :evil: Shouldn't you be out tootling trumpets and waving the star spangled?

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:51 am

Only if they'll let me wave the Stars and Bars w/the Stars and Stripes alongside(maybe not in that order). :lol: 8)

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:53 am

mlittle wrote:Only if they'll let me wave the Stars and Bars w/the Stars and Stripes alongside(maybe not in that order). :lol: 8)
:up: :clap:
What about the Lone Star of Texas, and the Flag of the Confederacy :D

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:57 am

The Stars and Bars is one of the Old Confederacy's flags(better known as the Confederate Battle Flag). As for the Lone Star of Texas....I'll stick to hoisting up the Bonnie Blue Flag.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:17 am

mlittle wrote:The Stars and Bars is one of the Old Confederacy's flags(better known as the Confederate Battle Flag). As for the Lone Star of Texas....I'll stick to hoisting up the Bonnie Blue Flag.
I thought all you good ol boys stuck together against the dreaded union , n, carpetbaggers n such. :D

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:37 pm

Texas is a big state, they can take care of themselves...As for us North Carolinians, we were the first to fight at Manassas, it was a NC unit that breached the Yankee lines at Gettysburg on 3 July 1863, and we were the last ones to fight before Appomattox. Oh, we good ol' boys stick together, but just remember, there were more Tarheels on the line than any other state's that wore the grey.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:53 pm

mlittle wrote:Texas is a big state, they can take care of themselves...As for us North Carolinians, we were the first to fight at Manassas, it was a NC unit that breached the Yankee lines at Gettysburg on 3 July 1863, and we were the last ones to fight before Appomattox. Oh, we good ol' boys stick together, but just remember, there were more Tarheels on the line than any other state's that wore the grey.
I take it that the war aint fergit, then. :wink: