WHY F1 HASN'T CAUGHT ON IN THE USA?

Discuss all the aspects of the Formula 1 sport here

Moderators: cmlean, Ed, The Qualiflyer, The Heretic

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Wed May 04, 2005 7:45 pm

Severian wrote:Thanks for the welcome.

Yeah, don't give us too many races or we'll ruin it.. hehe. Tony George ruined CART, ruined the Indianapolis 500 and created the IRL which sucks! Basically he single-handedly destroyed open wheel racing in the US and inadvertently made NASCAR as popular as it is. Other than local tracks, US racing has really gone down hill. I used to be as big a CART fan as F1 back in the Mansell/Senna days. Then, the 500 was a yearly spectacle, now it's just weak.
Mate, there are a couple of blokes in F1 who must have gone to theTony George School of Motor Sport Management :evil:
:welcome: :cheers:
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

Jim Watt
Racer
Racer

Why No F1 Following in U.S.A.?

Post by Jim Watt » Thu May 19, 2005 5:56 am

:D Greetings Mates! I have some time to play now that school's out and I have turned in my grades. So, you ask, why isn't there a bigger F1 following in America? Let me give you some history.

I was bitten by the F1 bug way back in 1953 when Alberto Ascari was World Champion for Enzo Ferrari. The cars were things of beauty and not that different, really, from the beautiful Kurtis classics that were racing and winning at Indianapolis then. Then came the great years with Fangio, whom everyone in the world knew as the GOD of racing. The great silver Mercs, coming in and SWEEPING everything in sight, (and scooping up Fangio and Stirling Moss, too as drivers). Then there was the Mille Miglia and various other "sports car" venues, too. And yes, there was Phil Hill, an American, but he was never as exciting to me as Mike Hawthorne or Jimmy Clark (who raced at Indy, too) or Jack Brabham (who also raced Indy) or Mario Andretti, who belongs, like all the great ones, to the world!

The thing is, I was a fan who devoured Road & Track magazine and read each race report breathlessly three or four times. But I grew up in the wilds of Oregon on the West Coast of the U.S. where the only racing available was the dirt track, one-quarter mile Midget race track on the fair grounds and I can still remember my favorite driver's name: Bob Christie, who raced a beautiful red Kurtis midget number 23, the numbers cut out in cursive form from sheet metal which was chromed and bolted to the curved tail of the car. I never heard an F1 race on the radio; I never knew the F1 results until days or weeks after the event. But I had a long playing record of the SOUNDS of the great machines of the day and of earlier days, too. (I wish I still had that record; they not only went to Maranello to record great Ferrari's but they had the pre-[WW II] war Auto Unions, too.)

My point is that I didn't love F1 because I loved speed, or because there were or weren't American cars or American drivers in it. I loved it for the simplest and clearest reason possible: because F1 is racing in its purest form:

the rules are published and men and women live, day and night, week in and week out, year after year, to figure out how to go the fastest inside those rules. and the results are there for everyone to see and savor.

The winning car in F1 can come from a great manufacturer or it can come from a speedshop in some back corner of the world. And the same goes for the drivers: they may come from money or from poverty, but what sets them apart, even from other race drivers, is that they are the men who want not just to win, but to beat the best in the world.

Sure. Some teams have money. But all the money in the world won't buy you the gift that the great ones. It won't buy you the genius who put a fire engine pump (cooper climax) in the back of a skeleton frame and won with it. And sure. Some drivers have money and an unfair advantage over those who don't. So do some teams.

But --and never forget this-- an unfair advantage is part of the appeal. Can an unfair advantage be beaten? Of course! Why do you think so many are being converted to Renault fans today!? Because Ferrari has an unfair advantage. So does Toyota and BAR Honda. But an unfair advantage CAN'T guarantee a win. The fastest car and the fastest driver have a way of hooking up and finishing first no matter where the money is. And that's what we all wait for. Kimi isn't making even half of Michael's money. Ron Dennis's budget isn't close to Jean Todt's. Who cares?

So F1 has little following in my country because in my country money is EVERYTHING, so EVERYTHING is for sale. That means that racing, for the most part, is ENTERTAINMENT, not a matter of truth and beauty. Most of the racing is set up to entertain, not to find out who is fastest. And that's what most people want. Look at the other professional sports: the rules are changed regularly to provide more entertainment. I don't know the last time there were rule changes in Football or Soccer as we yanks call it.

And that ain't gonna change any time soon. But does it depress me? Do I suppose I would rather live in Australia or Austria because they "support" F1 more than America? Not bloody likely. In fact, I doubt if they do. Evidence is that everywhere you look people are looking more for entertainment and diversion than hard work and reality.

But we're only on this planet for a short time and what we do with our time is our choice. And for me, that means loving F1 from a distance, but loving it no less than those lucky Europeans who can see, live, four or five races a year easily. I guess the best way to say what I'm trying to get at is I believe anyone who was lucky enough in his life time to see Senna go by at full race speed is blessed. And I'm sure he or she knows it. I sure wish I had!!

So open wheel racing in America isn't as big as NASCAR. So what? You don't follow the Indy Cars --whether it's Championship Auto Racing or Tony's IRL, or any other sanctioning body-- because you believe in entertainment or a "good show." Tickets to the 500 stay in families for generations because there's something magical about seeing today's drivers take on the same track made great by Wilbur Shaw and Bill Vukovich and by A.J. Foyt.

You can mock the going 'round and round,' but I invite you to come to the track and ride round in the bus. Notice how narrow the racing surface is. How forbidding the wall. No gravel pits, no run-offs means no errors, no excuses.

And thanks to Tony Georce, I have seen Michael, and Kimi and Mikka at speed, because Indianapolis is where I now live. And though I never got to see the great Senna in the flesh, I have spoken to four time winner Rick Mears. And I saw every one of his victories (me and millions of others). I didn't shake his hand; I just saw him in the coffee shop at the track and said, "Thank you Rick Mears for those races." And I got that same sweet smile you see in all his pictures. He thanked ME back. And that was magic. No other word for it.

You know, it's like meeting Pablo Picasso or the Dali Lama.

Indianapolis and F1 are the top; you can't go any higher. Not in this life.

That's why Indy used to "count" in the old F1. People talk about "the show" and there are cynics everywhere. But there are also people who are willing to give their whole lives to the dream of winning; heck, just participating, in the 500. I know the same is true of F1.

Now how can you "market" something like that? And how can you be surprised when Jeff Gordon says "No thanks" to it?

My hope is that by establishing F1 on the grounds of Indianapolis, Tony George may be able to bring the magic of Indy and the magic of F1 together.

Now if it works, it will have nothing to do with money. It's like Monza and Silverstone and Monaco. And if F1 becomes all glittering like Bahrain then, at some point the F1 champ will be like Jeff Gordon --and the world will be a smaller place for it.

Because some kids in far corners will know the difference --even if their elders don't. And those kids will find something else. Something real. Something like Ayrton and Juan Manuel and Jimmy and Rick.

There's an F1 following in America and it's as strong as it is in Columbia or Sri Lanka or Oxfordshire or Honshu. It's just spread out over a bigger territory and so thinner. But no less deep.

Thanks for reading this. I had fun writing it.

Jim Watt, Indianapolis

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Thu May 19, 2005 7:41 am

:clap: :clap: :clap: :wave:
Danica Patrick may enhance the fan base if,when, she races F1 :lol:
Money AND sex make a powerful aroma for the fans :!:

sgd
Racer
Racer

Post by sgd » Thu May 19, 2005 8:26 am

Thanks Jim!! :clap:

Graham Ross
Racer
Racer

Post by Graham Ross » Thu May 19, 2005 11:44 am

Well said Jim!

Keep it up :up:

rah
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by rah » Wed May 25, 2005 1:01 pm

Come on, it's obvious isn't it? How long has it been since we have had an F1 movie? Always wondered how the biggest sport in the world gets missed at the movies. The last one I can remember is Grand Prix. Now that was a movie. At least Bernie stopped Sly from doing "Driven" about F1.
Ok, Lewis may win the WDC in 07, but Sato will beat him in 08.

Kapel
2004 Champ
2004 Champ

Re: Why No F1 Following in U.S.A.?

Post by Kapel » Wed May 25, 2005 7:47 pm

Jim Watt wrote::D Greetings Mates! I have some time to play now that school's out and I have turned in my grades. So, you ask, why isn't there a bigger F1 following in America? Let me give you some history.

I was bitten by the F1 bug way back in 1953 when Alberto Ascari was World Champion for Enzo Ferrari. The cars were things of beauty and not that different, really, from the beautiful Kurtis classics that were racing and winning at Indianapolis then. Then came the great years with Fangio, whom everyone in the world knew as the GOD of racing. The great silver Mercs, coming in and SWEEPING everything in sight, (and scooping up Fangio and Stirling Moss, too as drivers). Then there was the Mille Miglia and various other "sports car" venues, too. And yes, there was Phil Hill, an American, but he was never as exciting to me as Mike Hawthorne or Jimmy Clark (who raced at Indy, too) or Jack Brabham (who also raced Indy) or Mario Andretti, who belongs, like all the great ones, to the world!

The thing is, I was a fan who devoured Road & Track magazine and read each race report breathlessly three or four times. But I grew up in the wilds of Oregon on the West Coast of the U.S. where the only racing available was the dirt track, one-quarter mile Midget race track on the fair grounds and I can still remember my favorite driver's name: Bob Christie, who raced a beautiful red Kurtis midget number 23, the numbers cut out in cursive form from sheet metal which was chromed and bolted to the curved tail of the car. I never heard an F1 race on the radio; I never knew the F1 results until days or weeks after the event. But I had a long playing record of the SOUNDS of the great machines of the day and of earlier days, too. (I wish I still had that record; they not only went to Maranello to record great Ferrari's but they had the pre-[WW II] war Auto Unions, too.)

My point is that I didn't love F1 because I loved speed, or because there were or weren't American cars or American drivers in it. I loved it for the simplest and clearest reason possible: because F1 is racing in its purest form:

the rules are published and men and women live, day and night, week in and week out, year after year, to figure out how to go the fastest inside those rules. and the results are there for everyone to see and savor.

The winning car in F1 can come from a great manufacturer or it can come from a speedshop in some back corner of the world. And the same goes for the drivers: they may come from money or from poverty, but what sets them apart, even from other race drivers, is that they are the men who want not just to win, but to beat the best in the world.

Sure. Some teams have money. But all the money in the world won't buy you the gift that the great ones. It won't buy you the genius who put a fire engine pump (cooper climax) in the back of a skeleton frame and won with it. And sure. Some drivers have money and an unfair advantage over those who don't. So do some teams.

But --and never forget this-- an unfair advantage is part of the appeal. Can an unfair advantage be beaten? Of course! Why do you think so many are being converted to Renault fans today!? Because Ferrari has an unfair advantage. So does Toyota and BAR Honda. But an unfair advantage CAN'T guarantee a win. The fastest car and the fastest driver have a way of hooking up and finishing first no matter where the money is. And that's what we all wait for. Kimi isn't making even half of Michael's money. Ron Dennis's budget isn't close to Jean Todt's. Who cares?

So F1 has little following in my country because in my country money is EVERYTHING, so EVERYTHING is for sale. That means that racing, for the most part, is ENTERTAINMENT, not a matter of truth and beauty. Most of the racing is set up to entertain, not to find out who is fastest. And that's what most people want. Look at the other professional sports: the rules are changed regularly to provide more entertainment. I don't know the last time there were rule changes in Football or Soccer as we yanks call it.

And that ain't gonna change any time soon. But does it depress me? Do I suppose I would rather live in Australia or Austria because they "support" F1 more than America? Not bloody likely. In fact, I doubt if they do. Evidence is that everywhere you look people are looking more for entertainment and diversion than hard work and reality.

But we're only on this planet for a short time and what we do with our time is our choice. And for me, that means loving F1 from a distance, but loving it no less than those lucky Europeans who can see, live, four or five races a year easily. I guess the best way to say what I'm trying to get at is I believe anyone who was lucky enough in his life time to see Senna go by at full race speed is blessed. And I'm sure he or she knows it. I sure wish I had!!

So open wheel racing in America isn't as big as NASCAR. So what? You don't follow the Indy Cars --whether it's Championship Auto Racing or Tony's IRL, or any other sanctioning body-- because you believe in entertainment or a "good show." Tickets to the 500 stay in families for generations because there's something magical about seeing today's drivers take on the same track made great by Wilbur Shaw and Bill Vukovich and by A.J. Foyt.

You can mock the going 'round and round,' but I invite you to come to the track and ride round in the bus. Notice how narrow the racing surface is. How forbidding the wall. No gravel pits, no run-offs means no errors, no excuses.

And thanks to Tony Georce, I have seen Michael, and Kimi and Mikka at speed, because Indianapolis is where I now live. And though I never got to see the great Senna in the flesh, I have spoken to four time winner Rick Mears. And I saw every one of his victories (me and millions of others). I didn't shake his hand; I just saw him in the coffee shop at the track and said, "Thank you Rick Mears for those races." And I got that same sweet smile you see in all his pictures. He thanked ME back. And that was magic. No other word for it.

You know, it's like meeting Pablo Picasso or the Dali Lama.

Indianapolis and F1 are the top; you can't go any higher. Not in this life.

That's why Indy used to "count" in the old F1. People talk about "the show" and there are cynics everywhere. But there are also people who are willing to give their whole lives to the dream of winning; heck, just participating, in the 500. I know the same is true of F1.

Now how can you "market" something like that? And how can you be surprised when Jeff Gordon says "No thanks" to it?

My hope is that by establishing F1 on the grounds of Indianapolis, Tony George may be able to bring the magic of Indy and the magic of F1 together.

Now if it works, it will have nothing to do with money. It's like Monza and Silverstone and Monaco. And if F1 becomes all glittering like Bahrain then, at some point the F1 champ will be like Jeff Gordon --and the world will be a smaller place for it.

Because some kids in far corners will know the difference --even if their elders don't. And those kids will find something else. Something real. Something like Ayrton and Juan Manuel and Jimmy and Rick.

There's an F1 following in America and it's as strong as it is in Columbia or Sri Lanka or Oxfordshire or Honshu. It's just spread out over a bigger territory and so thinner. But no less deep.

Thanks for reading this. I had fun writing it.

Jim Watt, Indianapolis
Very well written Jim :clap: :clap: :up:

Just got a bit of news that "Long Beach Grandprix " has been sold to a subsidiary of Champ Car World Series.Looks like a wasted opportunity for F1 there :(
An F1 Idiot!!!

RE30B#16
Racer
Racer

Post by RE30B#16 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:59 am

Evil Giraffe wrote: 3) Americans like to feel important. Look at what we call the MLB championship series. Look at how we manage the world of politics (don't want to get into that though). F1 doesn't allow us to feel important.
All great points. This one in particular!

Chris
Christoforo

You're not getting old, the music just sucks!!

Fernando Alonso is currently the best... Period!!!

-)_ (-
(_!_) Inclined to get behind!!!

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:17 am

RE30B#16 wrote:
Evil Giraffe wrote: 3) Americans like to feel important. Look at what we call the MLB championship series. Look at how we manage the world of politics (don't want to get into that though). F1 doesn't allow us to feel important.
All great points. This one in particular!

Chris

Danica Patrick could change that all by herself. That youg lady is good, by any standards :lol:

JayVee
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by JayVee » Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:59 pm

Just looked up Danica Patrick on the net. She has a decent web site (http://www.danica-patrick.com/)

A bit from her biography:
RACING GOALS: To become an open-wheel racing champion
RACING HEROES: No heroes, just role models. So far, my Dad, Lyn St. James, Bobby Rahal and Jacques Villeneuve :coool: .
BEST ADVICE: You are the only one who can make yourself at the end of the day so at least strive for that.
FAVORITE CLOTHES: Guys briefs and a long sleeve t-shirt. :wtf:
FAVORITE ACTRESSES: Nicole Kidman :coool:

Perhaps she does make it in F1 and partners The Cute :shock: :D
I'm back and yes supporting Alonso "The Cute" in the Ferrari!

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:11 am

JayVee wrote:Just looked up Danica Patrick on the net. She has a decent web site (http://www.danica-patrick.com/)

A bit from her biography:
RACING GOALS: To become an open-wheel racing champion
RACING HEROES: No heroes, just role models. So far, my Dad, Lyn St. James, Bobby Rahal and Jacques Villeneuve :coool:

Every young person is allowed to make one public mistake

BEST ADVICE: You are the only one who can make yourself at the end of the day so at least strive for that.
FAVORITE CLOTHES: Guys briefs and a long sleeve t-shirt. :wtf:
FAVORITE ACTRESSES: Nicole Kidman :coool:

Perhaps she does make it in F1 and partners The Cute :shock: :D
Alonso is too old :crush: :crush: :crush: :crush:

rah
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by rah » Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:41 am

Maybe one of the Will's will do it. Aussie Will's that is.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:50 am

rah wrote:Maybe one of the Will's will do it. Aussie Will's that is.
Will Power's parents had the sort of humour I like!!! It's right up there with Ric Shaw!!! :lol:

rah
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by rah » Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:53 am

It's a great name for a racer. Or a pilot, or a porn star.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:03 am

rah wrote:It's a great name for a racer. Or a pilot, or a porn star.

I reckon, a horse..."and Willpower wins the 2005 Melbourne Cup by sheer willpower" :lol: