2006 CCWS Rd.1-Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach

All about the Champ Car World Series (CCWS)

Moderators: Ed, mlittle

Who will win the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach?

Poll ended at Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:10 pm

Sebastien Bourdais
20%
Paul Tracy
20%
A.J. Allmendinger
No votes
Justin Wilson
20%
Oriol Servia
20%
Oriol Servia
20%
none of the above
No votes

Total votes: 5

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

SeaBass takes provisional pole in LB

Post by mlittle » Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:41 pm

Q:How long did it take Sebastien Bourdais(#1 McDonald's FC/L) to re-assert his current grip on the series???

A:Oh, about 30 minutes. :shock:

And so, the LeMans, France native captured the provisional pole Friday, guaranteeing a front-row starting spot(P1 or P2 after qual. Saturday) and winning the 1 champ. pt. that goes with it. He set the fastest time of the session, a 1:07.675 sec. flyer(104.689 mph). To add insult to injury, his Newman-Haas teammate, Bruno Junquiera(#2 Hole in the Wall Camps FC/L) set the second fastest time at 1:07.741 sec.(104.587 mph). Lurking close behind them, though, were two major threats to NHR's continued dominance in the series........third fastest was Paul Tracy(#3 Indeck/Forsythe FC/L) w/1:07.947 sec.(104.270 mph), followed by RuSport's A.J. Allmendinger(#9 Western Union FC/L) at 1:08.030 sec. and rounding out the top-5 was Team Australia's Alex Tagliani(#15 Aussie Vineyards FC/L) w/a time of 1:08.102 sec.

For the rookies, it was Tag's teammate, Aussie Will Power(#5 Aussie Vineyards FC/L) who led that group. Power was 7th fastest, one of two rookies to crack the top-10(the other was CTE-HVM's Dan Clarke, who provisionally sits in 10th). The other four rookies(Pizzonia, Legge, Zwolsman and Heylen) sit currently 14th, 15th, 17th and 18th, respectively.

Friday's observations to follow in a short while.....
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:12 pm

what was the split between Tags n Will Power ?
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:16 pm

Julian Mayo wrote:what was the split between Tags n Will Power ?
Tag: 1:08.102 sec./104.032 mph
Power: 1:08.515 sec./103.406 mph

...about 4/10th's..... :o

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Friday's Observations from Long Beach

Post by mlittle » Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:18 pm

Let's see......Julian's lost somewhere around Hollywood and Vine...T-K's giving Kapel flying lessons(essentially traveling from LB to Santa Catalina Island.... :shock: , and RE30B#16's got great seats to the race.....anyway, here are some of the observations from Friday's events at the TGP-Long Beach.

1}Seen and heard.........One surprising sight was the number of drivers from other series who were present in Long Beach. For the F1 community, there was Scuderia Toro Rosso driver Scott Speed, who saw some of the festivities on Friday. Former IRL driver(and Toyota F1 tester) Ryan Briscoe was present(and probably wondering why he turned down the Team Oz drive....) and current Ganassi IRL driver Scott Dixon, who has also driven for the Chipster's Rolex Series DP team, was seen aroundst the paddock as well.

2}What's with the number? Everyone thought that rookie Dan Clarke would be driving the #55 for CTE-HVM Racing, so it was interesting to see his car carry the #14 on the front. (In case anyone's interested, the #14 is associated w/one of NA motorsports greatest, Anthony Joseph[A.J] Foyt, Jr.). But team co-owner Keith Wiggins had a more circumspect reason....."The #55 takes up almost half of the wing end-plate, and we wanted as much space as possible for sponsors." That makes sense.....I think. :?

3}So that was the reason.....For former F1 driver Antonio Pizzonia, it wasn't the best qual. session he's had, but his reason was interesting...."The last time I shifted gears in a race car was five years ago, so it takes a little while to adjust. On my downshifts I tend to over-rev the engines a bit which tends to get the engineers' attention but it'll be fine." :shock: :shock:

4}It'll take time. There's an old saying, "Any job worth doing is worth doing well." Just ask series co-owner Kevin Kalkhoven. When asked by reporters about whether there was any progress in the merger talks between him and Indy Racing League founder Tony George, he said....
The important thing is to get it done right. When it comes to mergers and acquisitions in recent years, there hasn't been a high rate of success. The very worst thing that could happen for the sport would be for us to merge the two series and have it not work. So if we can get it done in time for next year that would be great. If it takes a little longer then that's OK too.
By all estimates, if a merger is to be done in time for 2007, chances are that it will have to be agreed to by both sides by early August. My advice.......let them do their thing. If if brings a merger now, good. If it brings one for 2008, okay. As long as there's a merger eventually that works.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:30 pm

Hollywood & Vine :shock: That's no place for a sweet innocent lad like me :shock:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:35 pm

Julian Mayo wrote:Hollywood & Vine :shock: That's no place for a sweet innocent lad like me :shock:
It could've been worse. I mean, T-K could be giving you flying lessons..... :shock: 8) 8) :lol: :shock:

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:29 pm

Swwt, and innocent, not foolhardy :shock:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

SeaBass tops third practice session

Post by mlittle » Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:51 am

After dominatibg yesterday's festivities, Sebastien Bourdais(#1 McDonald's FC/L) continued by leading the third practice session w/a time of 1:07.290 sec., besting American A.J. Allmendinger(#9 Western Union FC/L) and Forsythe's Paul Tracy(#3 Indeck/Forsythe FC/L) on the charts. Rounding out the top end of the charts were Newman-Haas's Bruno Junquiera(#2 Hole in the Wall Camps FC/L), RuSport's Justin Wilson(#10 CDW FC/L) and, surprisingly, Dale Coyne's Cristiano da Matta(#19 American Medical Response FC/L). There were two stoppages during the session as the cars driven by rookies Antonio Pizzonia and Katherine Legge both spun going through turn 8 during the session; both cars restarted moments later and did not lose their fastest session laps as a result.

Practice session 4 is set for around 5 PM(2 PM local) w/qual. session #2 set for around 5:30 PM........

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:27 am

QS-2 is about to begin in a few moments..........practice session #4 ended a few minutes ago, and, once again, Sebastien Bourdais led the timing charts w/a time of 1:07.290 sec.(time from session #3).

QS-2 has begun; reminder...it is the fastest time from either session that sets the grid for Sunday's race, w/the exception of the provisional polesitter from Friday(Bourdais); he can do no worse than P2 on the grid.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:30 am

Drivers Andrew Ranger and Mario Dominguez have posted the first times of the session, a 1:09.971 for Ranger and a 1:10.475 for Dominguez. Ranger was 16th in QS-1, while DOminguez was 11th in QS-1.

CTE's Nelson Phillipe posts his first time of the session, a 1:11.506 sec. flyer; DOminguez now goes to P1 w/a time of 1:08.377 sec. For reference, Bourdais's qual. time from QS-1 was a 1:07.675 sec. flyer.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:32 am

As in QS-1, each driver gets 15 laps to post their fastest time of the session; after QS-2 ends, the fastest time regardless of session will be used to chart the grid for the race.

7 minutes into the session....top-5 at the moment are Dominguez, Phillpe, Ranger, Power and Pizzonia.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:33 am

Race control reporting that Dominguez has pitted after five laps....possibly indicating that he may run three stints of five laps each.

Still no change in the top-5 currently; now nine minutes into the session.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:35 am

Pizzonia now improves to 3rd in the session; Legge posts her first time of the session, and she currently is P6 in the session.

Power now on a flyer......and he takes P1! He currently sits in 1st w/a time of 1:07.965, just 3/10th's off Bourdais's time from Friday.

Current QS-2 top-5 after 10 minutes.......Power, Dominguez, Phillipe, Pizzonia and Ranger.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:38 am

Wilson now moves up to third w/a time of 1:08.376; Power still P1 at the moment; Legge imporves to P7 on the chart.

And Wilson knocks the Aussie off of P1! Wilson now first w/a flyer of 1:07.868 sec; Power drops to second. Vasser moves up to 7th, knocking his teammate Legge down to P8.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:41 am

Current top-5 in the session....Wilson, Power, Dominguez, Vasser and Allmendinger.

Allmendinger now P1 w/a time of 1:07.776 sec. His teammate Wilson now drops to second. Now Tracy sets P1 at 1:07.408(which could give Tracy the overall pole and P1 for Sunday's race!)

All drivers now out on-track.......Tracy drops his team further, down to 1:07.408, a new track record at the moment. Now halfway in the session.