Wellington Out

All about V8 Supercars Racing

Moderators: Ed, Julian Mayo

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Wellington Out

Post by Julian Mayo » Tue May 17, 2005 9:01 am

Wellington has been given the royal order of the boot!! Newspaper reports in Oz say that Wellington City Council has given the proposed street circuit the thumbs down. This leaves Pukekohe as the only possibility for 2006, with no circuit in the scope for 2007!!
The boss of Avesco, Tony Cochrone, is reported by Motor Racing Jounalist Peter Mckay as saying "N.Z. has dropped off the face of the earth as far as the ch'ship is concerned" !!
Avesco has a strong preference for street circuits, and is apparantly not interested in any of the permanent venues on offer..
Any NZedders who are closer to the action might like to report on what is happening in Aoteroa!
It sounds to me like you might want to start organizing some of that "People Power" you fellas are famous for, ie The Manapouri power project etc., if you want to see Supercars in NZ, after next year. DON'T WAIT, is my advice.
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

Southernman
2004 Top 10
2004 Top 10

Post by Southernman » Tue May 17, 2005 5:56 pm

The problems of Wellington were made public on Friday 13th in NZ. To host a race they need to pass the resource management act which is a central Govt act that needs to be passed by the Wellington city council. The amount of money needed to pass this legislation is more than the WCC is prepared to pay. It would also take about two years to pass.

The rumours that are going around are that Pukekohe will not race next year as it's extension as a circuit was only a stop gap measure for Wellington. No more V8's in nz. :evil:

I don't blame Tony Cochrane for fuming over what's happened.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Tue May 17, 2005 6:40 pm

Southernman wrote:The problems of Wellington were made public on Friday 13th in NZ. To host a race they need to pass the resource management act which is a central Govt act that needs to be passed by the Wellington city council. The amount of money needed to pass this legislation is more than the WCC is prepared to pay. It would also take about two years to pass.

The rumours that are going around are that Pukekohe will not race next year as it's extension as a circuit was only a stop gap measure for Wellington. No more V8's in nz. :evil:

I don't blame Tony Cochrane for fuming over what's happened.
We are led to believe Puke will happen next year.! BUT, that is it. Why not mobolize a few people and make a noise, or V8s could be lost for the life span of avesco. Which means it would be hard for NZrs to crack the main game. Imagine V8s without Murph, "The Rat", "Jum" Richards, Steven Richards The Stone Bros,etcetc. How many kiwi spanner guy have worked their way into F1, Champ Cars etc from SuperCars Oz, or the equivalent? NZ needs Supercars, and Supercars needs NZ. Get a few of the local hero tin top drivers and ex- drivers involved. Guys like Roddy Coppins, Robby Francevic ("colour me Gone Custaxi", and yes I will define the "Custaxi" if needs be), John Murphy
( lives around Waihi, I think, has money, and nothing to do but terrorize bikies on the back roads with his Bourne WRX). I am sure these guys would leap into the fray, IF ASKED. All it takes is ONE person to get the ball rolling, maybe thru a local car club etc.,
On the other hand you guys can do nothing but slink under the house and snarl like mangy dogs until another until ANOTHER vital part of motor racing is lost forever!!!!!!
Avesco has huge plans for V8s. NZ HAS TO BE PART OF OF THOSE PLANS.
One of my worst motor racing nightmares was watching a VEE DUB Beetle competing in a race at Puke. When it did trip over, it lazily rotated on its roof for what seemed like hours, before somebody put it out of its misery!
( I am not sure, I think they shot it.)
If that is the type of motor racing you guys want, DO NOTHING.
I will just feel so sorry for the people who lived, and sometimes died, to get NZ Motor Racing to where it is, for the generations of fans who payed for the circuits, for the kids who will never hear the sounds we love.

Southernman
2004 Top 10
2004 Top 10

Post by Southernman » Thu May 26, 2005 5:39 pm

NZ will likely hold V8's again from next year. The most likely track will be Pukekohe. After that there is a possibility that it would raced at Whenuapai airbase. I'll keep you posted as I hear more. Tony Cochrane has had a change of mind this week and wants to race in NZ. There will never be a street race in NZ with the way the resource consent act is written.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Sun May 29, 2005 7:45 am

Thank you.
I am not too sure I understand the Act. Is it treehugger based?

Southernman
2004 Top 10
2004 Top 10

Post by Southernman » Sun May 29, 2005 8:02 am

julian mayo wrote:Thank you.
Yes and it's not just motor sport effected by it.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Tue May 31, 2005 11:54 pm

Southernman wrote:
julian mayo wrote:Thank you.
Yes and it's not just motor sport effected by it.
Thanks for your input, Sthnman
you have just become the official Trans-Tasman correspondent.
OK ED?
So get some support happening across " the Dutch"

Apparantly, Avesco, while trumpeting loudly about rescuing Supercars in EnZed, are going cap in hand to the Puke blokes and saying, "please sir, can we race on the circuit that we said was no good?" :lol: :crush: