SANDOWN 500

All about V8 Supercars Racing

Moderators: Ed, Julian Mayo

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:55 am

The times from the warm up session at the Sandown 500 this morning were as follows
Ellery 1:11:8233
Ingall 1:11:8853
Ambrose 1:11:8918
S. Richards 1:12:0220
Murphy 1:12:0291
Canto/Seton 1:12:1129
McConville 1:12:2368
Jason Richards 1:12:3441
Bargwanna 1:12:3983
Lowndes 1:12: 4355.

Tags/Marshall posted a time of 1:12:9399
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:05 am

The forecast for Sandown today is a typical Melbourne day.
A top of 15degreesC is forecast, with gusty tail winds on the back straight, and head winds on the front straight. A few showers are expected, with local hail developing, and a strong chance of a thunderstorm in the late afternoon.
The Safety Car could be busy.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:24 pm

Simon Wills is a non starter in todays race. In the warm up he had one of the biggest accidents I have seen in motor racing. Leaving the track backwards arond 180kmh, the car hit the barriers, was launched into the air, and prceeded to destroy itself by rolling along the top of the fence a number of times at high velocity. The amount of energy involved was enormous. Wills was assisted from the inverted, totally destroyed, car, and was seen to give a thumbs up. However he is still in the medical centre, some 3 hours later. Lets hope it is down to concussion, and nothing worse.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:34 pm

The latest forecast has a severe storm hitting the track about 30-40 minutes into the race.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:39 pm

I read about Wills' accident. Let's hope all he has is a concussion and nothing worse.
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:44 pm

mlittle wrote:I read about Wills' accident. Let's hope all he has is a concussion and nothing worse.
Lets hope! The speed of the car when it left the track was in excess of 250kmh, and it appeared to accelerate across the grass, before hitting the barriers. It was a huge accident.
Last edited by Julian Mayo on Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:55 pm

The Sandown "Betta Electrical" 500 as been run and won. Winners are grinners and the losers have packed their bent and broken cars on to the transporters, to learn from today and prepare for The Mountain.

After Simon Wills' massive prang in the warm up, a field of 33 cars took the grid under thrreatening skies. Simon was given a cat scan and hoped to be back at the track in time to see the end of the race.
From the green the field jostled into turn 1, and everyone survived the first lap. Across the strip for the 1st time, and the order was
Lowndes
R.Kelly
Ingall
Ambrose
Tod Kelly
Murphy
Johnson
S. Richards
David Brabham had his window net fall down , and somehow was able to fix it while driving one handed. No mean feat.
On L5 he was turned around byJohnson and fell back to 29th before rejoining.
Lowndes was 2 seconds ahead and going away as R. Kelly became a cork in the bottle with Ingall and Ambrose hounding him.
L10 and Lowndes was 5 seconds ahead, with both the Stone Bros cars trapped behind Kelly. He had the grunt to hold them at bay on the straights, and with full fuel loads they couldn't outbrake him.

L13 saw the Castrol car of Coleman into the barriers and the safety car out. At the same time the rear roll bar broke on the Toll C'dore of Tratt. A piece wedged into the top of the wheel arch and proceeded to destroy the tyre. He limped back to the pits, where the crew ripped the bar assembly off and sent him back out. That would have been like driving a barge in a gale.
!17 saw the safety car tucked away and Lowndes drove off into the distance with Kelly again frustrating all behind.
By lap 21 Lowndes had a 3 sec gap.

Tags was in 20th having been chosen to start the race. He had not driven the car on full tanks til the morning, and radioed in that he thought the engine was sick, such is the weight of a full tank.

L24 Lowndes was 5 secs., ahead, and an ill Johnson was slipping back thru the field.

L37, and the first drops of rain appeared. Several drivers suddenly found themselves on green rather than black stuff. Ingall and Ambrose made contact, and went off, line astern, rejoining in the same order in the same places.
Ambrose had nicked a tyre when he bumped Ingall and Tod Kelly was able to slip past him and began to pressure Ingall. He eased past him into turn 1 a lap later and was on the back of his younger brother in a flash.
L40 and Dumbrell also broke a rear roll bar, punctured a tyre and had a wild ride before limping back to the pits
Lowndes was now 17 seconds in the lead
L50 and Tod Kelly was able to pass his brother for 2nd place.

Lap 51 of 161 and Lowndes had a lead of 19.1 secs.
The pits were busy and the field confused, as driver changes took place.
L57 saw Lowndes pit with a 22 sec lead and hand over to Muller
Then the rain fell. For those yet to pit, they were gifted 26 seconds, for those who chose to go to wets, they were on a second stop within a few laps. Skaife, amongst others gambled on it being a passing shower and stayed out on slicks. Patchy rain continued, which meant that those on wets were looking for puddles, and those on slicks were hugging the dry line.

L76 saw a drying track and Skaife in the lead, still on slicks. The gamble had paid off. Murphy took Muller, in the Lowndes car, for 2nd
L79 and sunshine bathed the track.
A lot of drivers tried to stay on wets til the scheduled pit stops, and were desperately finding wet lines as the tyres turned to marshmallow. One on slicks was Jason Richards in the car rebuilt after his massive rollover in QLD. He was slicing thru the field, and up to 2nd, with a gap of 32 secs to Skaife.
The next round of pit stops started.

L86 and the order was
Skaife
Muller
Tander
Ellery
Youlden/ingall
murphy
morris
McConville
bright
L95, and rain fell.

Skaife tangled with Brede, and Muller slipped into the lead
Skaife fell in behind, with Tander, Ellery, and Jason Richards in pursuit.
L106
A dry line was appearing, Skaife and Muller were dicing for the lead, Ingall resumed his seat, and went out on slicks.
L111
saw only 15 cars on the lead lap. Ambrose had dropped to 19th and a lap down with a water leak causing problems.L113 saw Ingall, Murphy and Elley tangle, they managed to untangle themselves and proceed. Ingall was served eith a drive thru penalty.
L115
and Skaife had a 28sec lead, and decided to play a wild card.
The wet laps had reduced their customary fuel burn of 2litre a lap, it looked like more rain was on the way, his wets were still in good shape.
Muller was behind and had to pit, so the team told him to back off, and they would go thru to the end without another stop.
L119 and he had a 31 second lead as the last of the pit stops took place.

L129 and Saife had a 42 sec lead on Lowndes

L132 and Jason Richards loooped twice, and caught the rear of Bredes car, spinning him. Both continued.

L134, Lowndes on fresh wets was 37 secs behind Skaife

L135 Lowndes took 3 secs, off Skaife, and was passed by a flying Murphy on slicks. Murphy had yet to pit, and was running on fumes.

L136 and Murphy had gained 3 secs on Skaife, with Lowndes also closing.
L141 saw Murphy pit for a slash n dash to the flag. His car spluttered back into the pits next lap and died short of the pit bay. Race over
A short sharp shower hit on L143, keeping alive the wet tyres.. The strong winds soon began to dry the track tho.
L151, and Skaifes crew were holding their breath, Lowndes had dropped the gap to 20 secs.

Jason Richards had gone for slicks and was whipping thru the field into third place. A great drive for a well deserving team.
L152
the gap Lowndes to Skaife was down to 10.8 secs, and Skaifes front splitter was splitting. Literally.
L154
the gap was 5.8 secs
3.8 secs
L156
1.4 secs
L157,
no gap.
Lowndes was all over Skaife for the next lap and after a straight out drag race down the main straight, went thru on the inside at turn 1.
Lap 160 and Skaife dived in for 5 litres of fuel, the gamble had failed
Lap 161 and the flag fell on Craig Lowndes in the Betta Electrical 888 Falcon, as he took out the Betta Electrical Sandown 500.
Skaife held out a fast closing Jason Richards for the minor places.
Following were
R.Kelly/Tander
Ellery/Macrow
Bright/Brabham
Ingall/youlden
Morris/Radisich
Bowe/Jones
McConville/A.Jones

Tthere was scarcely a straight car at the end, with some teams facing expensive panel and mechanical bills.
The teams now have til Thursday 6th of October to prepare for The Mountain.

Tags/Marshall finished in 22place
A complete finish order, and race description will be ( should be) available on the official site by morning

Channel10 will commence their tv coverage of Mount Panorama on Friday 7th of October.

rah
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by rah » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:43 am

Had to drive down to the windy city and back on Sunday. Didn't see a lap. Why do people plan to have functions on race weekends. The whole world is conspiring against me.

I think I drove my bro mad by ringing him every half hour for an update.
Ok, Lewis may win the WDC in 07, but Sato will beat him in 08.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:56 am

rah wrote:Had to drive down to the windy city and back on Sunday. Didn't see a lap. Why do people plan to have functions on race weekends. The whole world is conspiring against me.

I think I drove my bro mad by ringing him every half hour for an update.
Shoot them.

I hope the review was helpful. Of course there was a lot more action, but I have no intention of, nor the skill to, transcribe a 500km race, with 33 cars and 66 drivers all doing various things at the same time.
The Bathurst review will probably be along the lines of "31 cars started....Murphy won. The End"

rah
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by rah » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:02 am

If anyone schedules something on the Bathurst weekend I will.

The review was helpful. My bro is on some heavy painkillers at the mo so not everything he said was what actually happened.
Ok, Lewis may win the WDC in 07, but Sato will beat him in 08.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:05 am

My 'Mountain" diet on race day involves the ingestion of numerous painkillers.....with twist tops. The tradition must be upheld.