THE SILLY SEASON

All about V8 Supercars Racing

Moderators: Ed, Julian Mayo

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:47 am

Walden Motorsport's Brian Walden has stated that the team will compete, with a single car entry
He will not reveal car, driver or sponsors, but states that copping the $150,000 fine for not being on the grid at the season opener was "not an option"

Russell Ingall will be the lead driver, his car will get preferential treatment at Paul Morris Racing.

Team Kiwi Racing are thought to have signed Kayne Scott, with John McIntyre joining them for the enduros. This is expected to be confirmed by Friday.
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

cmlean

Post by cmlean » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:27 pm

Here is the driver lineup for Round 1

It is expected that a 32nd entry into the championship will also be named at a later date.

Toll Holden Racing Team :- Mark Skaife, Garth Tander
888 Team Vodafone :- Craig Lowndes, Jamie Whincup
DJR Jim Beam Racing :- Steven Johnson, Will Davison
Tasman Motorsport :- Jason Richards, Greg Murphy
Stone Brothers Racing :- James Courtney, Shane Van Gisbergen
Ford Performance Racing :- Steve Richards, Mark Winterbottom
Perkins Jack Daniels Racing :- Todd Kelly, Shane Price
WPS Racing :- Jason Bargwanna, Max Wilson
Team BOC :- Andrew Jones, Cam McConville
HSV :- Rick Kelly
HSV Autobarn Racing :- Paul Dumbrell
Britek Motorsport :- Jason Bright, Marcus Marshall
Gary Rogers Valvoline :- Lee Holdsworth, Michael Carusso
Morris Supercheap Auto :- Paul Morris, Russell Ingall
Team Kiwi Racing :- Kayne Scott
PWR Racing :- Andrew Thompson
Rod Nash Racing :- Tony D'Alberto
Paul Cruikshank Racing :- Fabian Coulthard
Walden Motorsport :- Garth Walden

cmlean

Post by cmlean » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:22 am

Mike Gore of WPS/WOW Racing announced today that the team has withdrawn from this years championship citing health reasons

Team and licences are currently for sale.

Will Power and Team Australia (Champ Car) will continue.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:41 am

cmlean wrote:Mike Gore of WPS/WOW Racing announced today that the team has withdrawn from this years championship citing health reasons

Team and licences are currently for sale.

Will Power and Team Australia (Champ Car) will continue.

You'd be correct on the above, cmlean........according to the news page over at autoracing1.com, Team Australia co-owner Craig Gore has withdrawn from the Australian V8 Supercar Series citing both personal and health reasons; both their licenses and V8 equipment are for sale. They also confirmed that their ChampCar efforts will continue w/driver Will Power. :shock: :shock: :shock:
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

cmlean

Post by cmlean » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:28 pm

Except I called him Mike. I think that was his father. :oops:

cmlean

Post by cmlean » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:06 am

I found this little statement by Craig Gore regarding WPS racing and their demise.

WPS Racing boss Craig Gore has told radio show, The V8 Insiders, that the main reason he left the V8 Supercar Championship was because he couldn’t secure the right tools for his Ford team to become a regular front-runner.

Gore was hoping to acquire two ex-Ford Performance Racing Falcons for the 2008 season, but when that deal turned sour early this year, the often out-spoken team boss informed his sponsors it was time for his team to leave the category.

“I thought the right thing to do was to say to my sponsors that we are not going to be able to deliver what we had promised, so that we probably should step away,” Gore told The V8 Insiders programme.

“It was a combination of not being able to perform on the track the way that we wanted to perform – finishing 15th and 16th every weekend is painful – and secondly not being able to do the right thing by my sponsors,” he said.

“It took a long time to come to that decision. We did everything we could to try to stave that off, but at the end of the day we decided that we should move on.”

He said that he was also sick of his constant disagreements with Ford.

“That was definitely a part of the reason we made the decision that we did to leave the sport,” he said.

Another major factor adding to Gore’s decision was that, with his business commitments continually growing, he couldn’t provide the time required for his team to take the next step.

“To be successful in this sport I believe you have to apply 100 per cent of your time to it and I didn’t have 100 per cent of my time to apply to it,” he said.

The straight-shooting Gore said he didn’t intend to upset people when he first came into the sport, but that he just likes to tell it like it really is.

“I don’t think I was out-spoken at all,” he claimed.

“I didn’t think I would face such difficulties by putting plain facts on the table to be discussed… (But) if I said things that upset other team owners, I really don’t give a crap.”

However, he couldn’t help giving one last piece of advice to the custodians of the sport.

“The powers-that-be really need to look at what the fan-base wants rather than doing what they think the fan-base wants,” he said.

Author:Allan Edwards
Source:BigPond Sport