Hybrid Cars

Want to chat about cars ? This is the place.

Moderator: Ed

rah
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Hybrid Cars

Post by rah » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:31 pm

Whats wrong with the car industry these days? Hybrid cars, thats whats wrong. They are a gimick, actualy, they are a bucket o shite!. Even worse than a bucket o shite really, these buckets o s$%#% try and charge you a fortune for the privelidge of kidding yourself into believing you are doing the environment a good service. And any accountant that buys one for economic reasons needs to go back to primary school.

If any one on the board has a Hybrid, please speak up and let me know why you purchased one, I must be missing something.

While on the subject what has happend to the development of fuel cells, these are by far a much better option for the car industry.

I even saw a car that runs on compressed air. Now that was a damn fine idea.
Ok, Lewis may win the WDC in 07, but Sato will beat him in 08.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Re: Hybrid Cars

Post by Julian Mayo » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:55 pm

rah wrote:Whats wrong with the car industry these days? Hybrid cars, thats whats wrong. They are a gimick, actualy, they are a bucket o shite!. Even worse than a bucket o shite really, these buckets o s$%#% try and charge you a fortune for the privelidge of kidding yourself into believing you are doing the environment a good service. And any accountant that buys one for economic reasons needs to go back to primary school.

If any one on the board has a Hybrid, please speak up and let me know why you purchased one, I must be missing something.

While on the subject what has happend to the development of fuel cells, these are by far a much better option for the car industry.

Mate I feel really guilty. I took the supercharger off "Therapy" now I use more fuel ! :oops:
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

JayVee
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by JayVee » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:58 am

Aren't hybrid cars supposed to be good for the environment and cost less to operate ?

Haven't done any research but was thinking perhaps when it is time to upgrade the Nimbus in a few years I may look at hybrids.

Are they no good ?
I'm back and yes supporting Alonso "The Cute" in the Ferrari!

rah
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by rah » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:28 pm

JayVee wrote:Aren't hybrid cars supposed to be good for the environment and cost less to operate ?

Haven't done any research but was thinking perhaps when it is time to upgrade the Nimbus in a few years I may look at hybrids.

Are they no good ?
Wouldn't think about it.

You can buy a prius for around 37-45k. You can buy a corolla for about 20k.

You can buy a lot of petrol for 17k. Not to mention the hybrid resale price will be bugger all.

If you really want to be good to the environment, go a deisel. It is just as good with fuel economy and will retain its value and last a lot longer.

Even your mate the boss of Renault thinks that Hybrids are a joke.

JayVee
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by JayVee » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:47 am

Thanks rah!

I thought in a few years time hybrids would become comparable to petrol. I am just facsinated by the idea that the car generates power from braking and that has to be a good thing.

A friend tells me a lot more cars are expected to come out with a hybrid option so there maybe more than just the expensive Prius.

But why do you think they don't last ? Do electric engines have shorter life than petrol ones ? I thought a mechanical engine would be less reliable :?

My mate at Renault :wha: I actually like the new Scenic :D

rah
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by rah » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:09 am

They may become competetive, but I think fuel cell is much better option. Although we will have wet roads all the time.

The problem with Hybrids, is that they are not efficient enough. Because you have a petrol and an elestric engine, one always has to carry around the other. Also the technology at the moment is just starting and they do no know enough about wear and tear. maybe they might become better, but at the moment I reckon it is just a marketing stunt by the big car makers to show they are "green".

JayVee
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by JayVee » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:38 am

But I haven't heard of fuel cell cars being readily available so the wait for those would be 10 years or more ?

I think anything new is expensive then the price drops with increased competition. And they will get better too!
Look at how cheap and fast computers are these days compared to 5 years ago!

So perhaps I should shoot for a 2010 Scenic Hybrid or should that be a 2010 M Class Hybrid :D

rah
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by rah » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:48 am

JayVee wrote:But I haven't heard of fuel cell cars being readily available so the wait for those would be 10 years or more ?

I think anything new is expensive then the price drops with increased competition. And they will get better too!
Look at how cheap and fast computers are these days compared to 5 years ago!

So perhaps I should shoot for a 2010 Scenic Hybrid or should that be a 2010 M Class Hybrid :D
GM have a working model based on the commodore. There are many other working prototypes around the world.

They sure do. But I think that hybrids will also be overtaken by smarter technology.

Carlos has said that he does not think hybrids are a good idea. Whether he bows down to market pressures we will have to see.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:36 pm

Speaking of hybrids......here's something interesting of note.

This past week, Saab(a GM subsidiary) introduced at the Stockholm Motor Show its' latest intro to the hybrid market, a Saab 9-3 concept car based on its' current 9-3 models. What got my attention, though, was this item.....the car's designed to run, not on regular gasoline, but on E100(100% ethanol fuel).

Isn't that an interesting concept for hybrids......instead on having to run on gasoline, drivers could instead use either(at least in the States' anyway) E10 'gasohol'(90% gas/10% ethanol) or E85 'flex-fuel'(85% ethanol/15% gasoline)?

Here's a link in case anyone wants to read about it.....
www.ewatch.prnewswire.com/rs/hilight.jsp?ID=200298262
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

booklover
Go Kart Racer
Go Kart Racer

Post by booklover » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:34 am

there is a new civic out which is a hybrid

and they are good for the enviroment in some ways first of all they use a battry at under 50 kph and enything over 50 they recharge the battery but use petrol now to comment on what jay vee said that they are to exspensive it rubbish they will save you a lot of money in the long run having half battery and half petrol

booklover
Go Kart Racer
Go Kart Racer

Post by booklover » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:35 am

there is a new civic out which is a hybrid

and they are good for the enviroment in some ways first of all they use a battry at under 50 kph and enything over 50 they recharge the battery but use petrol now to comment on what rah said that they are to exspensive it rubbish they will save you a lot of money in the long run having half battery and half petrol

jessicaportland
Go Kart Racer
Go Kart Racer

Post by jessicaportland » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:54 pm

rah wrote:Whats wrong with the car industry these days? Hybrid cars, thats whats wrong. They are a gimick, actualy, they are a bucket o shite!. Even worse than a bucket o shite really, these buckets o s$%#% try and charge you a fortune for the privelidge of kidding yourself into believing you are doing the environment a good service. And any accountant that buys one for economic reasons needs to go back to primary school.

Actually there are lots of complaints about this intriguing hybrid cars in the market. Some may find it so expensive plus, the super charger are not that"super" or an ideal for charging. According to most drivers, Hybrid cars are just waste of money. Part of marketing campaigns for hybrid cars is that they save money on gas. It would appear so, since the typical hybrid car uses less gasoline than a standard automobile with an internal combustion engine. However, a study has just been released which rakes hybrid cars over the coals for wasting a lot of money. So before you purchase a brand new car, or even this controversial hybrid car better check and know it better first.

cmlean

Post by cmlean » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:16 pm

Hi Michael
Hybrid cars do have a place, the same as electric, however the costs of hybrid cars, particularly in this country (Australia) are exorbitant. Until such time as they can become a viable option, they will be considered a novelty. Electric cars are great around the city however are useless for journeys. We have approximately 1000 km between our capital cities and the electric range doesn't allow for the quick overnighter between the cities. Mind you, not everyone wants to do the trips in one stint.