JUST DON'T DO IT.

Want to relax, share an experience or just have a friendly discussion. This is the place

Moderators: cmlean, Ed

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

JUST DON'T DO IT.

Post by Julian Mayo » Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:43 pm

On Saturday night, 4 young men from my small community piled into a car to go to the aid of one of their mates. He was in trouble in the next community.
Unfortunately the young driver had been drinking. They had travelled less than 1 kilomtere, before he clipped a table drain, and spun into a tree, on the other side of the road.
The front and rear seat passengers on the near side died. The driver's brother is in a serious condition. Three families have had their lives ruined. Others have had their lives affected forever.
There is a zero alcohol content limit in motorsport for a very good reason
PLEASE, IF YOU DRINK, DON'T BLOODY DRIVE.
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

jacfan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jacfan » Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:48 pm

This is sadly all too frequent. :cry: :cry: So many lives that will be forever touched by such a tragic event. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Holy crap on a cracker! Image
Number one idiot for 2007!!!!!
2008 Round of France winner!!! Wooooooohoooo!!!!!!
2010 Round of Britian winner!!!!!!

gkaytaz
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by gkaytaz » Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:55 pm

jacfan wrote:This is sadly all too frequent. :cry: :cry: So many lives that will be forever touched by such a tragic event. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Only too true. :( Years ago I lost a dear friend to such an incident and she had not been even drinking. A drunk driver took her from us at the age of 21 (another friend lost a leg). That guy was later caught and imprisoned for 36 years. However following a number of trials, good-manners and whatnot he was out and about after 6 years. Six years!!! Honestly I was tempted to go after him and make him pay if others hadn't talked me out of it :evil:

Since then I do not touch alcohol if I am to drive and enforce the same to all around me.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

jacfan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jacfan » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:02 pm

It is a great shame that for many people it takes an accident to make them see sense. I am usually the designated driver in our household but every so often I will say... "my turn... you are driving tonight."

<T-K>
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by <T-K> » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:56 pm

It is very upsetting that people still drink & drive.......Just recently, the headmistress from my old university was out with some friends, had been drinking and decided to drive home.........she did not even realize that she had run over & killed the lead singer of a popular local band until the police arrived at her house the following day.... :cry:

One of the many reasons i do not drink outside of the idiots bar.....

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:40 am

About 2pm sat, I made a mistake (one of many, its hard to rally with no handbrake........that was the first)
I shaved a tree.Driver error.I was concentrating hard, still made an error of judgement.
Everyone here knows I love a drink. I was 12 hours from bottle to throttle,at the start of the rally, and the bottle consisted of 3 light beers (yccccchhhhh! it was a bbq, I was being sociable).
How many times have we all driven a vehicle in the morning, while under the influence of the alcohol/drugs.......ie sleeping pills..thru to illegals/lack of sleep/hassles from the night before?.
I keep teaching my kids that the most dangerous thing most people will ever do in their entire lives, is get into a car and drive/be driven on public roads.
Why ? Because people do not concentrate on what they are doing, while they are doing it.
Keep your mind where your body is, Drivers.You don't have to be pissed to kill someone.
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

jacfan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jacfan » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:37 am

So very very true. I was on holidays at Victor Harbour/Kangaroo Island a couple of years back, when we got a call that my sister in law's niece had been killed in a head on accident. She had just got back from a holiday and went to pick up her dog and she was answering a text message on her mobile... veered on to the wrong side of the road and had a head on collision with another vehicle. She was killed, along with her dog and the driver of the other car - an innocent victim was badly injured. People talk about the risks of travelling overseas and terrorists attacks etc but the biggest risk we take is every time we get into a car.
Far more chance of dying in a car accident than being bitten by a shark and yet we fear sharks but not cars. :shock:

GhoGho
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by GhoGho » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:21 pm

Julian Mayo wrote:About 2pm sat, I made a mistake (one of many, its hard to rally with no handbrake........that was the first)
I shaved a tree.Driver error.I was concentrating hard, still made an error of judgement.
Everyone here knows I love a drink. I was 12 hours from bottle to throttle,at the start of the rally, and the bottle consisted of 3 light beers (yccccchhhhh! it was a bbq, I was being sociable).
How many times have we all driven a vehicle in the morning, while under the influence of the alcohol/drugs.......ie sleeping pills..thru to illegals/lack of sleep/hassles from the night before?.
I keep teaching my kids that the most dangerous thing most people will ever do in their entire lives, is get into a car and drive/be driven on public roads.
Why ? Because people do not concentrate on what they are doing, while they are doing it.
Keep your mind where your body is, Drivers.You don't have to be pissed to kill someone.
And turn your Cell phone OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm in shape

Round is a shape...........

:cheers:

jacfan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jacfan » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:54 pm

It seems such a stupid reason to die or cause the death of another.

gkaytaz
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by gkaytaz » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:32 pm

jacfan wrote:It seems such a stupid reason to die or cause the death of another.
Losing a loved one is very tough. But causing the death of another, especially because of drunk-driving must be the worst kind of burden one must have to live with. I hope no one will have to go through such an experience.

People, do not let anyone drink and drive. Regardless of how sober they seem to be.

Oh man, all the talk about death really made me feel blue. I need to listen to some relaxing music... And have an ice tea. Preferably peach flavored.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams (1952-2001)