Hollywood's Horrors and Frights..............

Want to relax, share an experience or just have a friendly discussion. This is the place

Moderators: cmlean, Ed

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Hollywood's Horrors and Frights..............

Post by mlittle » Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:53 pm

With Halloween soon approaching, what better thing to discuss than frights, horrors, and things that go bump in the night.......creak....creak....... So I thought, what are some of the more frightening scenes that the movies have brought us in the past few decades...........here's a couple that come to mind IMHO.........creak....creak....creak.....

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:

1}That scene in "Scanners". I mean, in what other movie does the audience get to see someone's head go klabammo by psychic energies alone?

2}Our first glimpse at the alien in "Alien". Doesn't anybody feel just a bit sorry for John Hurt's character in that scene? I mean, he and the others onboard the Nostromo are having dinner, he starts having what he thinks is indigestion, and moments later Hurt's character, Kane, becomes a human ziplock bag as the alien makes his exit, stage left, from the screen. :shock: :shock: :shock: :burnout:

3}Hearing Jack Nicholson say "Here's Johnny!" in "The Shining". Need I say more? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Any others come to mind, feel free to add them to the list......speaking of which, what was that creaking noise I heard earlier? :lol: :lol: :shock: :shock: :shock:
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

rah
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by rah » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:55 pm

All of the movie Torque, I can't believe I watched the whole movie. I had nightmares for a week.
Ok, Lewis may win the WDC in 07, but Sato will beat him in 08.

gkaytaz
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by gkaytaz » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:29 pm

Wanna add two:
Psycho (the 1960 version with Anthony Perkins)
Les Diaboliques (1955 version, the one with Simone Signoret)
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:02 pm

gkaytaz wrote:Wanna add two:
Psycho (the 1960 version with Anthony Perkins)
Les Diaboliques (1955 version, the one with Simone Signoret)

Haven't seen the second of those, but I have seen the 1960 version of "Psycho' :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: ....what makes that shower scene in that film so scary is the way Hitchcock sets up that shower scene(usually in most horror films the first person you see on-screen isn't the first person who gets knocked off in the film.....), so that when you see Janet Leigh's character at the beginning, you have no idea what's going to happen.......

Another couple good horror films to peruse...."The Thing", "Ghosts of Mars", "The Fog"*, "Christine". *-the 1979 original, not the recently done remake

gkaytaz
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by gkaytaz » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:10 pm

mlittle wrote: Another couple good horror films to peruse...."The Thing", "Ghosts of Mars", "The Fog"*, "Christine". *-the 1979 original, not the recently done remake
Good ones mlittle. It's a real pity that the remakes are mostly quite bad. The same goes for Diabolique. Since you haven't seen it, try to find the Criterion Collection DVD of Les Diaboliques.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

Snowy
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by Snowy » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:07 pm

mlittle wrote: Another couple good horror films to peruse...."The Thing", "Ghosts of Mars", "The Fog"*, "Christine". *-the 1979 original, not the recently done remake
All John Carpenter films! :shock:
Lewis Hamilton & Jenson Button World Champions :)

Snowy
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by Snowy » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:17 pm

How about "The Hitcher" particularly the scene where Rutger tears the girlfiend in half by stringing her between two Artic trucks. Particularly nasty and disturbing film. :?

The Ring (Original Japanese version) :light:

A little less gruesome but brilliantly disturbing Terry Gilliams "Brazil" :shock:

And of course there is his exellent rendition of Lewis Carroll's Jabberwocky :D

gkaytaz
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by gkaytaz » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:57 pm

Snowy wrote:How about "The Hitcher" particularly the scene where Rutger tears the girlfiend in half by stringing her between two Artic trucks. Particularly nasty and disturbing film. :?
Yeah. And speaking of disturbing... What about Spielberg's The Duel? No blood or gore at all but pretty decent thriller.
Snowy wrote:The Ring (Original Japanese version) :light:
I believe it is called Ringu or something like that. Definitely better than the remake (maybe I should call it the Hollywood version).
Snowy wrote:A little less gruesome but brilliantly disturbing Terry Gilliams "Brazil" :shock:

And of course there is his exellent rendition of Lewis Carroll's Jabberwocky :D
Haven't seen yet. Some more titles to add to my shopping cart :)

gkaytaz
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by gkaytaz » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:14 am

I like Rutger's earlier (pre-1990) works more. He was really cyborg-ish in Blade Runner. Quite gruesome in Hitcher. Capable in Escape from Sobibor.

Don't flame me but I happen to like Blind Fury as well. One of Hauer's better performances in my opinion.

If memory serves he was in the most recent Batman movie too... Oh and also: Sin City.

Snowy
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by Snowy » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:40 am

gkaytaz wrote:I like Rutger's earlier (pre-1990) works more. He was really cyborg-ish in Blade Runner. Quite gruesome in Hitcher. Capable in Escape from Sobibor.

Don't flame me but I happen to like Blind Fury as well. One of Hauer's better performances in my opinion.

If memory serves he was in the most recent Batman movie too... Oh and also: Sin City.
No your right Blind Fury was actually watchable.

You've gone a little :offtopic: but I'm sure we'll be forgiven for lauding Sin City. What an incredibly brilliant film just showing that the grphic novel can be cast in celluliod. My favourite graphic novelist Alan Moore author of Watchmen, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and V for Vendetta has suffered terribly at the hands of Hollywood primarily because he won't have anything to do with the making of his films. He maintains that what he writes is specifically written in such a way as to make it impossible to work on film. That being the case he should really refrain from selling the film rights. Which is what I would do because The League of etc and V were exceedly bad films. But syaing that if Alan had actually helped out they'd have been watchable and probably moore (he he) people would be reading his novels.

Sorry about that way :offtopic: moment there.

How about "The Crow" and dare I mention Blade :roll:

Bundy
Racer
Racer

Post by Bundy » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:39 pm

The Brady Bunch Movie...

I have never recovered from that one!!!
There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.......

I'm no ordinary idiot. I'm an F1 idiot!!!
146th in 8'n'Pole 2007
293rd in 8'n'Pole 2006

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:42 pm

Snowy wrote:
And they're films worthy of showing in the Lounge......all four of em'!!! :twisted: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :twisted:

gkaytaz
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by gkaytaz » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:38 pm

We shall have some beanbag chairs in the lounge; and a few coffee tables for our empty (soon-to-be-filled) glasses 8)

Snowy
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by Snowy » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:35 pm

mlittle wrote:
Snowy wrote:
And they're films worthy of showing in the Lounge......all four of em'!!! :twisted: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :twisted:
Going :offtopic: once again but we could have a John Carpenter evening in the lounge just add "Dark Star" :bouncest: "Assualt on Precinct 13" :smokin: and "Vampires" :twisted:

We could sort of work our way up to the scarey stuff. :light:

Snowy
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by Snowy » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:43 pm

"Ghosts of Mars" 8) Natasha Henstridge :croc: "Species" mmmmm I can honestly say I wouldn't mind being alien "Hensridge" fodder :roll: