The time spent behind the screen

Want to relax, share an experience or just have a friendly discussion. This is the place

Moderators: cmlean, Ed

Tim
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tim » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:15 pm

gkaytaz wrote:
Tim wrote:
What about Sandra, Opus, Alphaville and Baccara :lol: :lol:

Yes I used to listen to all of those :oops: :oops:
Big In Japan, Summer In Berlin, Live Is Life... Just had another flashback moment there... :smokin:
Those days when the only media were newspapers, radio and a bit of tv :D

I think life got more complicated since :shock: :roll:

gkaytaz
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by gkaytaz » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:24 pm

Tim wrote:
gkaytaz wrote:
Tim wrote:
What about Sandra, Opus, Alphaville and Baccara :lol: :lol:

Yes I used to listen to all of those :oops: :oops:
Big In Japan, Summer In Berlin, Live Is Life... Just had another flashback moment there... :smokin:

Especially the last 15 years. I remember the first time I got to use emails. It was early 90s. I used to receive 1-2 emails per week and those were from colleagues asking whether I was gonna have lunch at work or outside :)
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

Tim
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tim » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:42 pm

gkaytaz wrote:
Tim wrote:
gkaytaz wrote:

Especially the last 15 years. I remember the first time I got to use emails. It was early 90s. I used to receive 1-2 emails per week and those were from colleagues asking whether I was gonna have lunch at work or outside :)
I wonder if there is a statistic on how long people sat in front of a computer screen in the 80's, 90's and now :D

I am sure the difference is huge which raises the question: Are we isolating ourselves ?

Perhaps this should be in another thread :D

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:48 pm

Tim wrote:
gkaytaz wrote:
Tim wrote:

I wonder if there is a statistic on how long people sat in front of a computer screen in the 80's, 90's and now :D

I am sure the difference is huge which raises the question: Are we isolating ourselves ?

What's that, stranger?
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

gkaytaz
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by gkaytaz » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:44 pm

Tim wrote:
gkaytaz wrote: Especially the last 15 years. I remember the first time I got to use emails. It was early 90s. I used to receive 1-2 emails per week and those were from colleagues asking whether I was gonna have lunch at work or outside :)

Philosophical discussion called for. Perhaps we should categorize the issue:
- At work: less than 20% in the 80s, about 50% in the 90s, nearly 80% now
- At home: about 30% in the 80s (long live Commodore 64!), about 20% in the 90s, about 20% now

What disturbs me most is that of that 80% work usage nearly 25% is wasted time because of junk emails and trying to hunt for information among hundreds of false hits on search engines :evil:
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

Tim
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tim » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:03 am

Doing some googling to try and find some statistics on this topic.

My first find compares computer usage in the US between 1995 and 1999 (so it is fairly old):

At home:

In 1999, 54 percent had at least one computer in their homes compared to just 8% in 1983.

46 percent had connection to the Internet in their home computers compared to 21 percent in 1995.

45 percent had CD-ROM readers compared to 14 percent in 1995.

32 percent subscribed to an on-line service and had home e-mail addresses compared to 18 percent in 1997

17 percent had more than one computer in their homes compared to 12 percent in 1997.

Among all home computer users, the amount of time spent on the Internet increased more than tenfold between 1995 and 1999 (from 15 hours per year to approximately 160). In addition, for those with Internet access, the amount of time spent on Internet activities, including using e-mail and visiting Web sites, increased from an average of 80 hours in 1995 to 269 hours in 1999.

At work:
In 1983, one-fourth reported using a computer at work, and about one-third said they did in 1990. The proportion was up to 42 percent in 1999.

Twenty percent of those surveyed had e-mail addresses at work, up from 16 percent two years earlier.

The average amount of time spent using a computer at work increased 17 percent between 1995 and 1999, to about 950 hours per year.

I wonder what those figure are like for 2006!

Source: Indicators 2000

gkaytaz
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by gkaytaz » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:48 am

Tim wrote:Doing some googling to try and find some statistics on this topic.

My first find compares computer usage in the US between 1995 and 1999 (so it is fairly old):

At home:

In 1999, 54 percent had at least one computer in their homes compared to just 8% in 1983.

46 percent had connection to the Internet in their home computers compared to 21 percent in 1995.

45 percent had CD-ROM readers compared to 14 percent in 1995.

32 percent subscribed to an on-line service and had home e-mail addresses compared to 18 percent in 1997

17 percent had more than one computer in their homes compared to 12 percent in 1997.

Among all home computer users, the amount of time spent on the Internet increased more than tenfold between 1995 and 1999 (from 15 hours per year to approximately 160). In addition, for those with Internet access, the amount of time spent on Internet activities, including using e-mail and visiting Web sites, increased from an average of 80 hours in 1995 to 269 hours in 1999.

At work:
In 1983, one-fourth reported using a computer at work, and about one-third said they did in 1990. The proportion was up to 42 percent in 1999.

Twenty percent of those surveyed had e-mail addresses at work, up from 16 percent two years earlier.

The average amount of time spent using a computer at work increased 17 percent between 1995 and 1999, to about 950 hours per year.

I wonder what those figure are like for 2006!

Source: Indicators 2000
From what I saw around these figures are fairly correct. Nowadays we should multiply all values by 1.5 :)