GTR2 AND GT LEGENDS SIM RACING

Want to relax, share an experience or just have a friendly discussion. This is the place

Moderators: cmlean, Ed

Snowy
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

GTR2 AND GT LEGENDS SIM RACING

Post by Snowy » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:07 am

I am currently racing a GT40 round Bathurst and it's bloody marvelous. I haven't got GT Legends but a mod that runs in GT2 and simulates a simulation of actual legendary cars. I've spent quite a bit of time getting to know the Nordschleife however it's made me eyes go squiffy because the frame rate isn't particularly high. Unfortunately whoever converted it from GTL didn't allow for my system not being state of the art.

Does anyone else have an interest in sims? It doesn't matter if you don't but if you do I do to :P And there you have it. The new GTR2 & GTL Sim Racing thread. Is it dead yet? Probably.

Oh I've also been racing around Sears Point and Laguna Seca in a Ferrari F550 and a Chrysler Viper which has been fun too. I listen to B Tribe while I'm driving as it calms my nerves. :roll:
Lewis Hamilton & Jenson Button World Champions :)

gkaytaz
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Re: GTR2 AND GT LEGENDS SIM RACING

Post by gkaytaz » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:37 pm

Snowy wrote:I am currently racing a GT40 round Bathurst and it's bloody marvelous. I haven't got GT Legends but a mod that runs in GT2 and simulates a simulation of actual legendary cars. I've spent quite a bit of time getting to know the Nordschleife however it's made me eyes go squiffy because the frame rate isn't particularly high. Unfortunately whoever converted it from GTL didn't allow for my system not being state of the art.

Does anyone else have an interest in sims? It doesn't matter if you don't but if you do I do to :P And there you have it. The new GTR2 & GTL Sim Racing thread. Is it dead yet? Probably.

Oh I've also been racing around Sears Point and Laguna Seca in a Ferrari F550 and a Chrysler Viper which has been fun too. I listen to B Tribe while I'm driving as it calms my nerves. :roll:
I have yet to figure out where my game disks are. It's been almost 3 weeks since I moved but still need time to recover :)
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:03 pm

Never played the GT games but I've played GP legends for a while (just 1 letter difference :D ). It is very difficult.

I mainly play Rally and F1 games. Played GP2 ages ago and played a bit with GP4. There are a lot of mods out there for it but I can't find the time :cry:

Currently I play F1 2006 on the PSP. Initially I hated it as I've always played those games with a proper steering wheel controller but now that I have got used to the controls, I am enjoying it. Easy mode is too easy. I am now having success with medium mode but haven't dared hard mode yet!.

I've unlocked a few classic F1 racers too 8)

It is a pity that Sony has an exclusive on F1 games that we can only play them on their PS platforms. I always play games on PC's and never had a console before the PSP.

Snowy
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by Snowy » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:14 pm

Ed wrote:Never played the GT games but I've played GP legends for a while (just 1 letter difference :D ). It is very difficult.

I mainly play Rally and F1 games. Played GP2 ages ago and played a bit with GP4. There are a lot of mods out there for it but I can't find the time :cry:

Currently I play F1 2006 on the PSP. Initially I hated it as I've always played those games with a proper steering wheel controller but now that I have got used to the controls, I am enjoying it. Easy mode is too easy. I am now having success with medium mode but haven't dared hard mode yet!.

It is a pity that Sony has an exclusive on F1 games that we can only play them on their PS platforms. I always play games on PC's and never had a console before the PSP.
PS has Grande Tourismo as well which is another great dissapointment for us PCer's. GP4 was an excellent sim and great fun to drive however it never took advantage of AGP Graphics and everything seems processor dependent. It's long in the tooth and as you say PlayStation has annexed F1 :x so there will never be a GP5. :oops:

GP Lengends was all but undriveable, tho I knew someone who made it look easy 8) I hated that guy. :x

If you get the chance to try GTR, GTR2 or GTL you should because they are really good sims and the online racing community is thriving. :D I've not done it meself however I've watched some of the races and there are some really quick guys out there! :roll: They obviously do nothing else.

gkaytaz
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by gkaytaz » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:04 am

Ed wrote:Never played the GT games but I've played GP legends for a while (just 1 letter difference :D ). It is very difficult.

They will eventually port it to PC. If not someone will crack it and take care of the problem :) Another option would be to use an emulator. However that'd take a PC worthy of NASA.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

cmlean

Post by cmlean » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:11 pm

I currently play Grand Prix Legends and Outlaws 2002 on my pc.
Legends is so different using a wheel instead of a keyboard.
:woohoo:

gkaytaz
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by gkaytaz » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:38 pm

cmlean wrote:I currently play Grand Prix Legends and Outlaws 2002 on my pc.
Got Need for Speed Carbon yesterday. Will try it come weekend.

gkaytaz
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by gkaytaz » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:44 pm

GP4 was quite neat. I remember having played GP3 and even GP2 a lot. F1 99-02 was one of my all time favorites. As for F1 2006, I gotta say that it seemed to be just okay. I played it only for a couple of times before moving. If I find the disks again I will give it another shot. Trouble is I only play weekends and that's when the wife and I go shopping for the house.

Rally games are fun too. Currently I own none but played everything from Colin McRae series to Rally Masters... :burnout:

Snowy
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by Snowy » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:36 am

Are you actually able to stay on the circuit in GP Legends? I found it was like driving a Toboggan on a Go Kart track. There was literally no feeling of when you were about to lose the front back or sides. However I understand there may be a more recent release of GPL and it might be a bit easier to cope with. GTR2 doesn't let you know when things are about to go pear shaped visually but there are tell tail sounds to look out for. GP4 is very good for letting you know where the limit is visually and Audibly. Grande Tourismo and other Playstation games used to p**s me off because there was never indication of the limit so I never bought a Playstation! :x

However they are perhaps better now, though I don't think many of these sim makers actually realise that you can sense when a car is loosing grip by sensors in your bum! Until they factor in those kind of sensations into the force feedback and send it to your bum I will never be satisfied.
:roll:

Snowy
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by Snowy » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:43 am

gkaytaz wrote:

GP4 was quite neat. I remember having played GP3 and even GP2 a lot. F1 99-02 was one of my all time favorites. As for F1 2006, I gotta say that it seemed to be just okay. I played it only for a couple of times before moving. If I find the disks again I will give it another shot. Trouble is I only play weekends and that's when the wife and I go shopping for the house.

Rally games are fun too. Currently I own none but played everything from Colin McRae series to Rally Masters... :burnout:
I love Colin McRae's Rally series, they are a lot of fun and driveable, you get a great feeling of speed. :D I tried Richard Burns Rally (May he rest in peace) but though the driving is definately more realistic than CM2.3.4, it suffers from that age old sim problem you only really know where the limit is when you have exceeded it and there's no way back. Rally Masters is a bit weird isn't it? :?

gkaytaz
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by gkaytaz » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:20 am

Snowy wrote: I love Colin McRae's Rally series, they are a lot of fun and driveable, you get a great feeling of speed. :D I tried Richard Burns Rally (May he rest in peace) but though the driving is definately more realistic than CM2.3.4, it suffers from that age old sim problem you only really know where the limit is when you have exceeded it and there's no way back. Rally Masters is a bit weird isn't it? :?
Rally Masters doesn't feel right but it's fun nevertheless. So far I enjoyed McRae series the most. Burns was far too realistic for me. I couldn't do anything I wanted.

cmlean

Post by cmlean » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:22 am

Snowy wrote:
Are you actually able to stay on the circuit in GP Legends? I found it was like driving a Toboggan on a Go Kart track. There was literally no feeling of when you were about to lose the front back or sides. However I understand there may be a more recent release of GPL and it might be a bit easier to cope with. GTR2 doesn't let you know when things are about to go pear shaped visually but there are tell tail sounds to look out for. GP4 is very good for letting you know where the limit is visually and Audibly. Grande Tourismo and other Playstation games used to p**s me off because there was never indication of the limit so I never bought a Playstation! :x

However they are perhaps better now, though I don't think many of these sim makers actually realise that you can sense when a car is loosing grip by sensors in your bum! Until they factor in those kind of sensations into the force feedback and send it to your bum I will never be satisfied.
:roll:
Sounds like the car is set too low and you are bottoming out on the bump stops. The early version used to allow for really low ride heights but mine is patched with the minimum ride height being 2.5 inches. My setups have the car at around 3.5 inches and sometimes higher depending on the track.

gkaytaz
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by gkaytaz » Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:40 pm

Need for Speed Carbon is good. :up: However it takes a heck of a machine to run it properly. Recommended if you have the means.