Firewall dicussion (Internet)!

Want to relax, share an experience or just have a friendly discussion. This is the place

Moderators: cmlean, Ed

Snowy
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by Snowy » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:26 pm

Ed do you know how I can set up my firewall safely so that only the java app can use that port? If I just open that port every Tom, d#$% or Harry will have access to my computer. :?
Lewis Hamilton & Jenson Button World Champions :)

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:40 pm

Snowy wrote:Ed do you know how I can set up my firewall safely so that only the java app can use that port? If I just open that port every Tom, d#$% or Harry will have access to my computer. :?
I am not too techincal but I think you can tell the firewall only to allow a certain IP address or address range in.

gkaytaz
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by gkaytaz » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:49 pm

Snowy wrote:Ed do you know how I can set up my firewall safely so that only the java app can use that port? If I just open that port every Tom, d#$% or Harry will have access to my computer. :?
Depends on your firewall settings. If the software control is good enough you should be able to setup all ports for TCP, UDP traffic separately. I monitor all ports constantly and see if there is any unwanted traffic happening. You might wanna check out a few "port listeners" for that purpose. There are many available for free.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

gkaytaz
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by gkaytaz » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:51 pm

TheFinn wrote: It doesn't connect up to that IP where the HTML is, so I'm counting on you my friend to keep me up to date here!! :lol: :lol:
Are you sure it's the firewall settings? Try opening port 4321 for two-way traffic and you should be okay.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

Snowy
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by Snowy » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:58 pm

gkaytaz wrote:
TheFinn wrote: It doesn't connect up to that IP where the HTML is, so I'm counting on you my friend to keep me up to date here!! :lol: :lol:
Are you sure it's the firewall settings? Try opening port 4321 for two-way traffic and you should be okay.
Thanks GK but that's suicide isn't it? I regularly test my ports and my firewall but recently had a conflict with Zone Alarm so I am relying on Windows firewall which is as user friendly as Koala on acid! :x

gkaytaz
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by gkaytaz » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:04 pm

Snowy wrote:
gkaytaz wrote:
Thanks GK but that's suicide isn't it? I regularly test my ports and my firewall but recently had a conflict with Zone Alarm so I am relying on Windows firewall which is as user friendly as Koala on acid! :x
ZoneAlarm acts up a lot lately. And as you say, Windows firewall behaves like a bull in a china-shop. Besides it's one-way only. So, I never use it. Instead you could try one of the free programs. Kerio personal firewall comes to mind. Try here:
http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware ... 20Firewall

gkaytaz
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by gkaytaz » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:13 pm

And bang! Another thread splits in the middle :lol:

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:25 pm

This was one of the easier ones actually!

gkaytaz
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by gkaytaz » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:30 pm

Ed wrote:This was one of the easier ones actually!
Yep, we have been a tad consistent being off-topic this time :)

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:20 am

McAfee has one of the better firewall systems out there; I use their firewall program on the Dell Dimension 8400 at home and on my Dell Inspiron laptop and it's very good at keeping out hackers. It's also advisable to have backup programs, as well; avast! has a good antivirus program that provides firewall protections as well.
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

gkaytaz
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by gkaytaz » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:33 pm

mlittle wrote:avast! has a good antivirus program that provides firewall protections as well.
It's free too :up:

Snowy
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by Snowy » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:04 pm

gkaytaz wrote:
mlittle wrote:avast! has a good antivirus program that provides firewall protections as well.
Their Firewall is free? One of the reasons I stopped using Avast anti virus was because of known conflicts with Zone Alarm! I changed to AVG anti virus which has been quite well behaved. But Zone Alarm just wouldn't behave and after I uninstalled it my system stopped locking up every time I tried to do anything. I wish computers weren't so annoying,, they are actually supposed to save time not eat it!

Damn these chronovores! :x

gkaytaz
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by gkaytaz » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:38 pm

Snowy wrote:
gkaytaz wrote:
Their Firewall is free? One of the reasons I stopped using Avast anti virus was because of known conflicts with Zone Alarm! I changed to AVG anti virus which has been quite well behaved. But Zone Alarm just wouldn't behave and after I uninstalled it my system stopped locking up every time I tried to do anything. I wish computers weren't so annoying,, they are actually supposed to save time not eat it!

Their anti-virus program is free. I am using Kerio personal firewall. Never had problems with that little program. The Norton Firewall is supposed to be compatible with Norton AV but it eats up half of the resources. What good is a security program if there is little to be secured because one cannot run the programs he wishes to?

By the way ZoneAlarm was once the best tool for nearly all Internet related needs. However they have had a few hiccups lately. I stopped using it for a while.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:42 am

gkaytaz wrote:
Snowy wrote:
gkaytaz wrote:

Their anti-virus program is free. I am using Kerio personal firewall. Never had problems with that little program. The Norton Firewall is supposed to be compatible with Norton AV but it eats up half of the resources. What good is a security program if there is little to be secured because one cannot run the programs he wishes to?

By the way ZoneAlarm was once the best tool for nearly all Internet related needs. However they have had a few hiccups lately. I stopped using it for a while.
Like I said, McAfee's Security Center's a pretty good program; it's got firewall protection, privacy protection, spamkiller and antivirus programs on it. Avast!'s antivirus programs work well w/McAfee(I've never used Norton's security programs, so I don't know how it would run....). A lot of the freeware/shareware security programs should have cutoff systems on it in case there are any hangups w/other programs; some programs will block separate on-screen browser windows(for instance, if I want to watch any video clips on the IRL or ChampCar websites, I have to disable the pop-up blocker for those to come up on-screen.....). I'd also check to see whether your security programs are compatible w/your specific internet browser(Netscape, Internet Explorer, Mozilla, Firefox, etc...).
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:28 am

I use avg free edition, windows defender,and spyware blaster,.....all free....I have no probs. :lol: .......except with koalas on acid :cry:
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.