Which is better......boxing or MMA?

Want to relax, share an experience or just have a friendly discussion. This is the place

Moderators: cmlean, Ed

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Which is better......boxing or MMA?

Post by mlittle » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:10 am

note....MMA stands for mixed-martial arts

Recently someone asked the question......what's better, boxing or MMA? (here's a link to the FOX Sports MMA blog and the question itself......
http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/FO ... ing_vs_MMA )

The issue became a hot topic when boxing champion Floyd Mayweather trashed MMA and principally the UFC(Ultimate Fighting Championship) when he was quoted as saying:
UFC ain't ----; it ain't but a fad. Anyone can put a tattoo on their head and get in a street fight. We should put Liddell against a good heavyweight, under Mayweather Promotions, and if Chuck wins, then I'll give him a million dollars out of my own pocket. These are guys who couldn't make it in boxing.
:evil: :evil: :evil: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

To the UFC's credit, UFC president Dana White shot right back at Mayweather, saying.....
He says he wants to pay Chuck Liddell a million dollars to fight with a heavyweight boxer and see if he'll last. How about this? How about we pay Floyd a million dollars to fight MMA and see how long he lasts. Or even better......I'll give him a million dollars of my own money if he boxes anyone other than Oscar (De La Hoya) and more than 10 people buy tickets.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :up: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Personally, I like both boxing and MMA, but considering the sometimes pathetic state of boxing in North America, MMA seems to be very ascendent at the moment. So, the question goes.......which is better, boxing or MMA?
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

Southernman
2004 Top 10
2004 Top 10

Post by Southernman » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:33 am

I can't comment on MMA as I haven't watch enough of it. I used to like watching heavyweight boxing but at the moment I don't know who is champion, what world title is the best or even who the contenders are. Boxers of today just aren't the characters that got me watching years ago.

Bring back Mike. :shock:

<T-K>
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by <T-K> » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:54 am

I really dont mean to offend anyone, But i personally think boxing is a pointless sport.... :? :?

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:07 pm

<T-K> wrote:I really dont mean to offend anyone, But i personally think boxing is a pointless sport.... :? :?

WHAT ??!!

The Manly art of self defence??
The Noble sport of fisticuffs??

:box: :box1: :furious:
.I prefer a Glock, personally.
:ROTFLMAO: :ROTFLMAO:
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

jacfan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jacfan » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:55 pm

I know I will cop it for this but I think boxing is horrible. Not a sport IMHO. Two idiots trying to kill what is left of their brain cells.... if indeed they have any. As for MMA :conf3:
Holy crap on a cracker! Image
Number one idiot for 2007!!!!!
2008 Round of France winner!!! Wooooooohoooo!!!!!!
2010 Round of Britian winner!!!!!!

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:15 am

Julian Mayo wrote:
<T-K> wrote:I really dont mean to offend anyone, But i personally think boxing is a pointless sport.... :? :?

WHAT ??!!

The Manly art of self defence??
The Noble sport of fisticuffs??

:box: :box1: :furious:
.I prefer a Glock, personally.
:ROTFLMAO: :ROTFLMAO:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sat May 26, 2007 9:36 am

In case anyone's interested, UFC 71 is tomorrow night in Las Vegas and the fightcard is a pretty darn' impressive one(it better be......for $30 on cable PPV, it better darn' well be!! :shock: :shock: :shock: )....here's the fightcard:

~~(Light heavyweight) Wilson Gouveia vs. Carmelo Marrero
~~(Light Heavyweight) James Irvin vs. Thiago Silva
~~(Lightweight) Din Thomas vs. Jeremy Stevens
~~(Light Heavyweight) Sean Salmon vs. Alan Belcher
~~(Welterweight) Chris Leben vs. Kalib Starnes
~~(Light Heavyweight) Houston Alexander vs. Keith Jardine
~~(Middleweight) Terry Martin vs. Ivan Salaberry
~~(Welterweight) Karo Parisyan vs. Josh Burkman
note....the above matches are 3 rounds, 5 minutes per round

The main event is for the UFC Light Heavyweight title.......
Quentin "Rampage" Jackson vs. Chuck "the Iceman" Liddell
note......the main event is five rounds, 5 minutes per round

The storyline behind the main event is simple.....in Liddell's MMA career, he's lost only three fights, to Randy Couture, Jeremy Horn and to Quentin Jackson. He's avenged his losses to Couture and Horn, but has to avenge the ---whuppin'(excuse the language... :oops: ) Jackson gave him a few years back at a PRIDE fighting event in Japan.......I think its' going to be a great event, and I think Liddell's going to win and hold on to his title. Good luck to all the fighters Saturday night!! :argue: :box: :horn: :duel: :duel: :duel: :bang: :bang: :bang:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sun May 27, 2007 1:22 pm

UFC 71 update..............

So far, the action's been intense in the octagon at the MGM Grand Arena in Vegas for UFC 71.......results as of 11:19 pm EDT:
~~Gouveia defeats Marrero w/a guillotine submission at 3:09 of the 1st round
~~Thomas defeats Stephens w/an armbar submission at 2:44 of the second round
~~Belcher defeats Salmon w/a guillotine submission at 53 seconds of the 1st round
~~Silva wins by TKO at 1:06 of the 1st round after a freakishly horrible right leg break by Irvin on a Silva takedown(the crowd was booing Silva, but watching the fight, Silva didn't do anything wrong or anything that was against UFC rules; Irvin just landed wrong on his leg when Silva took 'em down and it broke.... :( :shock: :shock: :(
~~(IMHO this is the best of the undercard fights....)Leben defeats Starnes by unanimous decision[the 3 judges scored it 29-28 Leben, 30-27 Leben and 29-28 Leben]
~~Alexander upsets Jardine with a KO at 48 seconds of the 1st round
~~Martin defeats Salaverry by TKO at 2:04 of the 1st round after delivering several shots to the head that essentially sent Salaverry into "la-la" land

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sun May 27, 2007 2:01 pm

Back at UFC 71, the main undercard fight has ended; Karo "the Heat" Parisyan defeats Josh "the People's Champion" Burkman by unanimous decision(the 3 judges scored the fight 30-27 Parisyan, 30-28 Parisyan and 29-28 Parisyan). It was a hard-fought battle as both fighters stood their ground, using every MMA skill possible)........the main fight, Jackson/Liddell, is coming up in a little bit.

rah
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by rah » Mon May 28, 2007 10:16 am

Meh, if you want to see a tough sport look at NRL State of origin. But even tougher than that is any Aus v NZ netball match.
Ok, Lewis may win the WDC in 07, but Sato will beat him in 08.

gkaytaz
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by gkaytaz » Mon May 28, 2007 4:23 pm

I too dislike boxing.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Tue May 29, 2007 8:26 am

Jackson takes UFC Light Heavyweight title over Liddell.......

Back in Japan a few years back, "the Iceman", Chuck Liddell, got IMO one of the worst --- whuppins'(... :oops: ....) I've ever seen, losing to a relative MMA newcomer, Quentin "Rampage" Jackson. Apparently, the lessons never sunk in for the Iceman, who lost his belt after 1:53 of the first round..........

Jackson had control of the octagon for the fight, quickly nailing Liddell with a left-right combination.......both exchange low kicks to the legs, then..........WHAMMO! Jackson sent Liddell to the mat with a solid, devastating right to the jaw. Four more rights and an elbow are all Jackson would need before referee "Big" John McCarthy calls the fight as a TKO for Jackson. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

So what's the end result............
--The UFC has a new star in Jackson. Granted, he comes off a little bit like Tyson did early in his championship(trash talking Liddell before the fight, for instance) but in the post-fight press conference Jackson seemed to be a little stunned that the fight didn't last longer.....then again, Liddell couldn't believe the fight only lasted 1:53....... :shock: The question now for the UFC is who will get a shot at Jackson? Chances are his first title defense will be later this year against current PRIDE middleweight champion Dan Henderson or with former PRIDE middleweight champion Wanderlei Silva**(the middlweight class in the PRIDE fighting championships tops out at 205 lbs, the same as the UFC light heavyweight class). There's also the possibility that Liddell will get a third shot at Jackson(counting Saturday's fight and their first encounter in Japan), but that looks like early 2008 at best.
**---UFC's parent company, Zuffa LLC, recently bought out the owners of the PRIDE fighting championship, making the above title matches possible

--How will the UFC light heavyweight class shake out after UFC 71........Who knows? After Jackson, the likely pecking order is Henderson(who has been promised first shot at Jackson), then W. Silva, Liddell....after that, like I said, who knows? After all, I did pick Liddell to hold on to his belt...... :shock: :shock: :shock:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:54 pm

UFC 72 results from Belfast, N. Ireland(from about 2 weeks ago.......)

~~Rich Franklin def. Yushin Okami by unanimous decision 29-28
~~Forrest Griffin def. Keith Jardine by unianomous decision 30-27
~~Tyson Griffin def. Clay Guida by split decision
~~Dustin Hazlett def. Stevie Lynch by armbar submission, 2:50-1st rd.
~~Eddie Sanchez def. Colin Robinson by TKO, 0:32, 2nd rd.
~~Marcus Davis def. Jason Tan by TKO, 1:15, 1st rd.
~~Ed Herman def. Jason Scott by guillotine submission, 2:25-1st rd.
~~Jason MacDonald def. Rory Singer by TKO, 3:18-2nd rd.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:47 pm

UFC 73 Fight Card...........

Main Event........................Rashad Evans vs. Tito Ortiz(light heavyweight)
Preliminary Matches................................
~~Nate Marquardt vs. Anderson Silva(middleweight)*
~~Alvin Robinson vs. Kenny Florian(lightweight)
~~Hermes Franca vs. Sean Sherk(lightweight)*
~~Heath Herring vs. Antonio Noguiera(heavyweight)
~~Mike Nichols vs. Stephan Bonner(light heavyweight)
~~Diego Saraiva vs. Jorge Gurgel(welterweight)
~~Chris Lytle vs. Jason Gilliam(welterweight)
~~Mark Bocek vs. Frank Edgar(welterweight)
*--main undercard fights for the UFC middleweight and lightweight titles(Silva and Sherk are the current title holders in each class)

What to watch for.................
--obviously the main event is going to be big; both Evans and Ortiz are great at the ground game and posses excellent wrestling techniques.......Evans won the heavyweight final during Season 2 of The Ultimate Fighter agst. Brad Imes and has won his two UFC fights by KO.......Ortiz, the UFC's original curmudgeon, has fought some of MMA's legends, including Frank Shamrock, Wanderlei Silva, current UFC heavywt. title holder Randy Couture to former light-heavywt. titleist Chuck Liddell but can be unpredictable in his fights
--the Herring/Nogiuera fight in the heavywt. class is an interesting pairing; whoever wins this fight will likely emerge as a potential challenger to the upper half of the UFC heavyweight division

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:26 am

UFC 73 Results.......

Results from Saturday night's UFC 73 from the Arco Arena in Sacramento, Ca.......

~~Anderson Silva retains his UFC middleweight belt w/a TKO vs. Nate Marquardt at 4:50 of the 1st round
~~Kenny Florian wins by TKO at 4:30 of the 1st round over Alvin Robinson
~~Sean Sherk retains his UFC lightweight belt w/a unanimous decision over Hermes Franca
~~Antonio Nogiuera wins over Heath Herring by unanimous decision
~~Stephan Bonnar wins by submission at 2:14 of the 1st round over Mike Nichols
~~Jorge Gurgel wins by unanimous decision over Diego Saravia
~~Chris Lylte wins by armbar submission over Jason Gilliam at 2:15 of the 1st round
~~Frank Edgar wins by TKO at 4:15 of the 1st round over Mark Bocek

And in the main draw...............Tito Ortiz and Rashad Evans fought three hard-fought rounds that resulted in a draw for both fighters