All about Indy Racing League (IRL)

Moderators: Ed, mlittle

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Paul Newman, 1925-2008

Post by mlittle » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:13 am

.....the Sundance Kid has gone to be with the Immortals....... :cry:

Quoting from multiple sources...........One of the legends of Hollywood and of NA motorsports has passed away; news reports are that Paul L. Newman, one of Hollywood's leading actors and co-owner of both NHLR[Newman-Haas-Lanigan Racing] and NWR[Newman-Wachs Racing] has died at the age of 83 from lung cancer at his Westport, Ct. residence, according to friends and family. Here is a statement from Newman's Own Foundation VP Robert Forrester on Newman's passing............
"Paul Newman's craft was acting. His passion was racing. His love was his family and friends. And his heart and soul were dedicated to helping make the world a better place for all.

"Paul had an abiding belief in the role that luck plays in one's life, and its randomness. He was quick to acknowledge the good fortune he had in his own life, beginning with being born in America, and was acutely aware of how unlucky so many others were. True to his character, he quietly devoted himself to helping offset this imbalance.

"An exceptional example is the legacy of Newman's Own. What started as something of a joke in the basement of his home, turned into a highly-respected, multi-million dollar a year food company. And true to form, he shared this good fortune by donating all the profits and royalties he earned to thousands of charities around the world, a total which now exceeds $250 million.

"While his philanthropic interests and donations were wide-ranging, he was especially committed to the thousands of children with life-threatening conditions served by the Hole in the Wall Camps, which he helped start over 20 years ago. He saw the Camps as places where kids could escape the fear, pain and isolation of their conditions, kick back, and raise a little hell. Today, there are 11 Camps around the world, with additional programs in Africa and Vietnam. Through the Camps, well over 135,000 children have had the chance to experience what childhood was meant to be.

"In Paul's words: "I wanted to acknowledge luck; the chance and benevolence of it in my life, and the brutality of it in the lives of others, who might not be allowed the good fortune of a lifetime to correct it."

"Paul took advantage of what life offered him, and while personally reluctant to acknowledge that he was doing anything special, he forever changed the lives of many with his generosity, humor, and humanness. His legacy lives on in the charities he supported and the Hole in the Wall Camps, for which he cared so much.

"We will miss our friend Paul Newman, but are lucky ourselves to have known such a remarkable person."

Vaya con Dios, Mr. Newman......you were truly one of the greats, a legend of stage and screen, a motorsports enthusiast who put everything you had into any endeavour. You will be sorely missed throughout Hollywood and the motorsports paddock. :cry: :cry:
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:03 am

~~Statements following the passing of Paul Newman.........

---Carl Haas, co-owner, Newman-Haas-Lanigan Racing,
On behalf of Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing, my wife Bernadette and myself, I want to express our most sincere condolences to Joanne and the entire Newman family on the loss of a great human being. Paul and I have been partners for 26 years and I have come to know his passion, humor and above all, his generosity. Not just economic generosity, but generosity of spirit. His support of the team’s drivers, crew and the racing industry is legendary. His pure joy at winning a pole position or winning a race exemplified the spirit he brought to his life and to all those that knew him. We will truly miss him.
---Michael Lanigan, co-owner, Newman-Haas-Lanigan Racing,
We truly lost a great man. Most of us knew him as Butch or Fast Eddie from the theater or from our living rooms at home. He was much more than a great actor. His legacy will be his five children, his wife, Joanne and all the sick children around the world who desperately needed his help. Paul was a man of character who cared about the world and the people who lived in it. Putting a smile on a young person’s face and helping people in need was a virtue he excelled at. Little did anyone realize a child born of such humble beginnings could affect our lives in so many positive ways. We should all learn to live by his example. We will miss him dearly but will never forget him.
---Bobby Rahal, co-owner, Rahal-Letterman Racing,
We are deeply saddened by the passing of Mr. Newman. He was a man of great courage, determination and integrity and gave a lot not only to the world of auto racing, but to the world around us. His generosity knew no bounds and his work with helping children as well as what he achieved with aiding the environment will prove to help people for many years to come. I had the pleasure of driving for Mr. Newman in 1981 and I was richer for the experience. He was a man of class and he was also deservedly very highly regarded for his driving skills. The world is a poorer place today for his passing.
---Tony George, CEO, Indianapolis Motor Speedway/founder, Indy Racing League,
On behalf of my mother Mari Human George and the entire Hulman-George family at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and IndyCar Series, our thoughts and prayers are with the family, friends and loved ones of Paul Newman. To all his fans world-wide and those close to him in our racing community, we share a deep sense of loss, but cherish the many fond memories we will forever carry with us.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:57 am

~~Additional quotes on the passing of Paul Newman...............

---Michael Andretti, co-owner, Andretti-Green Racing,
It's certainly a sad day for all of us that knew Paul. He was just a great guy and truly loved everything about racing. He and I shared a true passion for motorsports in general, but specifically IndyCar racing. Some of the fondest memories I have of my career are from the time I spent at Newman/Haas and I'll never forget those. Paul was one of a kind and he will be missed, for sure.
---Graham Rahal, driver, Newman-Haas-Lanigan Racing,
It has been a very upsetting 24 hours for the team and my family. Paul has been a huge part of both my success as well as my father's and he will be greatly missed. He was a tremendous man, one that everyone should model their lives after. My sincere condolences go out to the Newman family.
---Justin Wilson, driver, Newman-Haas-Lanigan Racing,
I am extremely saddened to hear about Paul's passing. He was a great guy to be with around the track. He was one of a kind. Obviously I am just thinking of his family and wishing them well while they are trying to deal with this. It can't be easy. He's going to be missed, not just in the motor racing world but in every area that he participated in, in his life. He affected so many people in a positive way. I'm going to miss him and am fortunate to have known him.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:02 am

~~Additional quotes.............

---Tony Stewart, driver, Joe Gibbs Racing,
Paul Newman was a phenomenal individual who made a profound impact throughout his life. His acting skills are well-known, but equally impressive was his desire to give back and help those who just didn’t get the same shake out of life that we did. I got to know him through our time helping build Victory Junction Gang Camp and during my handful of races in the Rolex 24 Hours At Daytona. We connected as racers, but Paul’s ideas of what we should do for charity is what really resonated with me the most. He set the bar, not only with his giving, but in how he gave. Whether it was through his own line of food products – Newman’s Own – or his work in helping create the Hole in the Wall Camps, Paul did it right, and he did it with class. He’ll be terribly missed.
---Sebastien Bourdais, driver, Scuderia Toro Rosso,
He was a great man and he will be dearly missed, but he has no doubt gone to a better place.
---Ron Dennis, Team Principal, Vodafone McLaren Mercedes,
I extend my sympathy at this very sad time to this great man's grieving family and friends.

jido
F1 Tester
F1 Tester

Post by jido » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:17 pm

It is sad to lose him, but he already gave lots. Good-bye, great man.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:37 am

..........additional quotes...........

~~Jack Roush, owner, Roush-Fenway Racing,
Paul Newman—a real American hero, an inspiration to me in much that I have attempted in my adult life. Not so much for the parts he played, but for the man that he was. He was one of Hollywood’s greatest. He could not only talk the talk on film but, more importantly, could walk the walk as a private citizen.
~~Jimmie Johnson, driver, Hendrick Motorsports,
He has been a great friend to Hendrick Motorsports. Rick (Hendrick) has a play day and puts a restrictor plate on the car and lets guys go out and drive around with half the horsepower. Numerous times, Paul has gone out on sticker tires, the plate off and run really quick laps. I was always so impressed with his driving ability and who he was as a person.
~~Kyle Petty, driver, Petty Enterprises/co-founder, Victory Junction Gang Camps,
He was dedicated to giving back to those less fortunate, and with each child we see, we honor his spirit and vision. Undoubtedly he has touched millions of lives.