2008 IRL Rd. 18--Nikon Indy 300[non-points race]

All about Indy Racing League (IRL)

Moderators: Ed, mlittle

Should the IndyCar Series return to Surfers Paradise in 2009?

Poll ended at Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:23 pm

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 1

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

2008 IRL Rd. 18--Nikon Indy 300[non-points race]

Post by mlittle » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:23 pm

Although the IndyCar Series officially ended its' 2008 season, the first post-split season since 1995, there is one last event on the calendar that everyone(myself included!..... :D ......) has been looking forward to, and it is the annual trip to the land Down Under and the concrete canyons of Surfers Paradise. Since 1991, Indycars have made the trans-Pacific trip to Australia's Gold Coast and each time, they haven't disapponted anyone. Although there has been no official decision on whether the series will return post-2008, that is for a future time and place of discussion..........here is the expected entry list for this year's race............

Nikon Indy 300 Entry List
~~Andretti-Green Racing(4): Tony Kanaan, Danica Patrick, Marco Andretti, Hideki Mutoh
~~Team Penske(2): Ryan Briscoe, Helio Castroneves
~~Target/Ganassi Racing(2): Scott Dixon, Dario Franchitti
~~Panther Racing(1): Dan Wheldon
~~A.J. Foyt Racing(1): Vitor Meira
~~Rahal-Letterman Racing(1): Ryan Hunter-Reay
~~Newman-Haas-Lanigan Racing(2): Graham Rahal, Justin Wilson
~~KV Racing Technology(2): Oriol Servia, Will Power
~~Dreyer & Reinbold Racing(2): Buddy Rice, Townsend Bell
~~Conquest Racing(2): Jaime Camara, Alex Tagliani
~~Dale Coyne Racing(2): Mario Moraes, Bruno Junquiera
~~Vision Racing(2): Ed Carpenter, A.J. Foyt, IV
~~HVM Racing(1): Ernesto[E.J.] Viso

Event Schedule..................................
note......all times AEST(Australian Eastern Standard Time), UTC +10
~~Practice Session #1, 8-9:30am, 24 Oct. 2008
~~Practice Session #2, 11:20am-12:20pm, 24 Oct. 2008
~~Practice Session #3, 9:50-10:55am, 25 Oct. 2008
~~Firestone Qualifying, 1:10-2:50pm, 25 Oct. 2008
~~Final Practice Session, 8:35-9:05am, 26 Oct. 2008
~~Nikon Indy 300, 12:40pm, 26 Oct. 2008(60 laps or 1hr., 50 min.)

Broadcast Info.....................
~~TV: ESPN-2, 10:30pm, 25 October 2008(live) w/re-air at 11:30pm, ESPN Classic
~~Domestic AM Radio courtesy of the IMS Radio Network
~~Satellite Radio, XM Satellite Radio--Chs. 144 and 145
~~International Simulcast courtesy of ESPN International(commercial simulcast) and the United States Armed Forces Network(non-commercial)
Last edited by mlittle on Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

7 Days of Surfers..............

Post by mlittle » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:22 am

In honor of the IndyCar Series' first-ever visit to Australia's Gold Coast, Indycar.com will, beginning on Oct. 16th, re-air seven past Surfers Paradise races(the races are 1991, 1994, 1996, 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2006). Coverage will include interviews with drivers who participated in each race with additional interviews from both drivers/owners preparing for this year's race......the schedule as listed is as follows:
* 16 Oct. 2008: 1991 Gold Coast IndyCar Grand Prix(race won by John Andretti)
* 17 Oct. 2008: 1994 FAI IndyCar Grand Prix(race won by Michael Andretti)
* 18 Oct. 2008: 1996 BarterCard Grand Prix(race won by Jimmy Vasser)
* 19 Oct. 2008: 2002 Honda Indy 300(race won by Mario Dominguez)
* 20 Oct. 2008: 2003 Lexmark Indy 300(race won by Ryan Hunter-Reay)
* 21 Oct. 2008: 2004 Lexmark Indy 300(race won by Bruno Junquiera)
* 22 Oct. 2008: 2006 Lexmark Indy 300(race won by Nelson Phillipe)

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Emu to sponsor both DRR cars in Surfers........

Post by mlittle » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:31 am

Dreyer & Reinbold Racing drivers Townsend Bell(l) and Buddy Rice(r) will carry the colors of Emu Australia, a premium clothing brand based Down Under, for next week's Nikon Indy 300

Dreyer & Reinbold Racing will fly the colors of one of Australia's premium clothing brands, Emu Australia, for next week's Nikon Indy 300 at Surfers Paradise.....here are some quotes from today's announcement.

~~Robbie Buhl, co-owner, Dreyer & Reinbold Racing,
This announcement says a lot about the product we offer, and more importantly, the perception and direction that the IndyCar Series is heading. Emu Australia joined us as an associate sponsor partner at the start of this year, and to see them make the leap up to a primary role for the race in Australia is great. We hope to assist Emu Australia in maximizing their name and brand in the Australian market.
~~Ted Houston, Emu Australia CEO,
"Our partnership with Dreyer & Reinbold Racing has been a tremendous asset in accomplishing our brand growth objectives this year. The two-car presence we will have for the season-finale Nikon Indy 300 in our home country of Australia punctuates a great year for us. We are looking forward to extending our IndyCar sponsorship in 2009 and having another successful year.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Servia to sport Team Australia colors in Surfers Paradise...

Post by mlittle » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:13 am

KV Racing Technology announced earlier this week that Oriol Servia, who normally runs a silver, orange and black-liveried KVRT Dallara/Honda, will instead sport the colors of Aussie Vineyards alongside teammate Will Power at next weekend's Nikon Indy 300......here is the announcement from the Team Australia website..............

~~~There will be a two-pronged attack from Team Australia on the Nikon Indy 300 with the green and gold livery of the Aussie Vineyards-backed team running on two cars at next weekend’s race around the streets of Surfers Paradise in Australia.

The cars of KV Racing Technology were unveiled in the pit lane of the Nikon Indy 300 circuit today, with Will Power on hand to unveil the two thoroughbred IndyCar racing machines of the Indianapolis-based team.

Power, driver of the #8 Aussie Vineyards – Team Australia car, will be joined by team-mate Oriol Servia in the colours of Team Australia for the big event, held October 23-26.

Servia’s #5 car has run in a silver, orange and blue livery this season, before switching to a red and white livery for the Chicago event last month. But for the Gold Coast race, the Spaniard will join Power in flying the colours of the home team.

“I think its great Oriol and I will both be flying the flag for Aussie Vineyards and Team Australia at the Nikon Indy 300 next week,” said Power.

“I know that Oriol loves this event, so it’s good that he will be able to join me in running the green and gold next weekend. I’m sure the massive Aussie crowd will cheer him on.”

At last year’s Australian event, Servia was fastest in Friday qualifying before Power secured his second-consecutive Gold Coast pole position on Saturday, giving the pair the front row of the grid for Sunday’s race.

“Hopefully we can both do just as well this year,” said Power.

“It will be extremely tough to match that performance because this year’s field is arguably the toughest in the 18-year history of this event, but our aim is to win so we will see how we go.”

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:22 am

List of Winners, Surfers Paradise...........

~~1991: John Andretti
~~1992: Emerson Fittipaldi
~~1993: Nigel Mansell
~~1994: Michael Andretti
~~1995: Paul Tracy
~~1996: Jimmy Vasser
~~1997: Scott Pruett
~~1998: Alex Zanardi
~~1999: Dario Franchitti*
~~2000: Adrian Fernandez
~~2001: Cristiano da Matta
~~2002: Mario Dominguez
~~2003: Ryan Hunter-Reay*
~~2004: Bruno Junquiera*
~~2005: Sebastien Bourdais
~~2006: Nelson Phillipe
~~2007: Sebastien Bourdais
*--current active IndyCar Series drivers

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Firestone Tire Report...........

Post by mlittle » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:58 am

FIRESTONE FIREHAWK FAST FACTS - IndyCar Series - Nikon Indy 300
Streets of Surfers Paradise - Queensland, Australia
October 24-26, 2008

Race Distance: 167.7 miles/269.886 km (60 laps on the 2.795-mi./4.498-km temporary street course); or 1 hour, 50 minutes.

Firestone Firehawk Race Tires Supplied:
- 1,116 dry-condition slicks; each car receives 10 sets (40 tires) for the race weekend. Firestone Fast Six qualifiers receive one additional set of slicks for that session only.
- 348 wet-condition grooved tires; each car can use five sets (20 tires) of rain tires.
Firestone Racing engineers have elected to bring their more durable street-course tire specification to tackle this demanding, high-speed temporary track. This tire spec was used earlier this season at Detroit and Long Beach. The tread-patterned rain tires selected are the softer "street-course rains," which were employed at Mid-Ohio in July, when that event started under rainy conditions.

Al Speyer, Executive Director, Bridgestone Motorsports:
Surfers Paradise has always been a great racing venue, with a festive atmosphere that ranks among the world's top motorsports events. So I can't think of a more fitting place to wrap up this historic IndyCar Series season and celebrate the successful unification of American open-wheel racing than on the streets of the Gold Coast. Recognizing the uniqueness of this event, Firestone Racing will be offering Gold Coast Bonus awards - another clear example of our support of the IndyCar Series and its teams. Firestone Racing engineers have been providing tires to conquer this tough track since 1995, and we are confident that our durable street course tire will once again be up to the challenge. Whether this is a team or driver's first trip to Australia, their first trip in several years, or an annual rite of passage, I am certain the Nikon Indy 300 will be an event enjoyed by all. And that includes the hundreds of thousands of spectators who will pass through the gates to enjoy the most competitive on-track activity they will have witnessed in a long time.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Power hoping for better results this year at Surfers........

Post by mlittle » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:02 am

Australia native Will Power has won two pole positions at Surfers Paradise, but hasn't finished better than 12th. As he prepares to return to Australia's Gold Coast for the Nikon Indy 300 on Oct. 26, Power hopes he can finish what he's started.

Will Power, #8 Aussie Vineyards Dallara/Honda,
I've been there now three times....First year I got taken out by my teammate, second year I got taken out by Sebastien Bourdais, and last year I was sent out in front of a car, and that basically put us in the back. We had a damaged front wing, damaged suspension and later ended up being taken out by Katherine Legge.It's a track where I've been very quick but just can't break that streak of bad luck there, so I want to go there and finish that race in a good position.
Power should be able to build on a strong rookie campaign in the IndyCar Series. As one of nine drivers new to the series, Power drove the No. 8 Aussie Vineyards car to 12th in the championship, recording two top-five finishes. He ended the season with an eighth on the streets of Belle Isle and a fifth on the 1.5-mile oval at Chicagoland Speedway. Looking ahead to Surfers, Power opines,
It means a lot to me to be racing in Australia, especially considering it's basically a hometown for me. We have a house there on the Gold Coast. I've been going there my whole life, been hanging out there. It's a great event for me. I just want to finish what I've started for the last two years.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:06 am

Hard to believe, but Team Penske driver Ryan Briscoe has only raced twice in his professional career in his home country of Australia(once at Surfers Paradise in 2006 and once in a support race at the Australian Grand Prix back in 2006), so what'd he have to say about the chance to race in Surfers Paradise this week?

Ryan Briscoe, #6 Team Penske Dallara/Honda,
It's going to be good. I'm going to get to spend a couple of days at home before and after the race. I'm going to have some friends and family at the race. I think it's going to be a good opportunity for us to prepare for the first two races of next year. It's a street course, the first two races next season are street courses. I've got a new engineer, so it's going to be a real good chance to get a bit of a head start going into '09.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:16 am

The Inside Scoop........

Okay, so we have two home-race favorites competing in this week's exhibition race, KV Racing Technology's Will Power and Team Penske's Ryan Briscoe. So, what are some of their thoughts on the land Down Under?

~~Power on What to Eat while Down Under,
(In the United States), a lot of people don't eat meat pies, but a meat pie is very nice with tomato sauce (ketchup). I think that's something you've got to try -- a Four'N'Twenty pie. Try that, and if you're not sick after that, try a lemmington.
note.....a lemmington is little cubes or squares of sponge cake dipped in chocolate then rolled in coconut(Mod's note.....make a note to put both items on the menu at the Idiots Bar...... :lol: :lol: :shock: :chef: )

~~Briscoe on the Nikon Indy 300,
It's a great event. I've been there not racing before, and it's definitely a big party. I'm going to have to be going down there focused on the job, but Sunday night should be fun. The beach is great. When the weather is nice, it's just a beautiful place, a good time. I've only ever gone there as a tourist, but it's always a good time. People go there to party.
~~Briscoe on his hometown of Sydney, Australia,
Sydney is a beautiful city, not just because I'm from there. I think it's one of the most beautiful cities in the world with Sydney Harbor. It's clean. You've also got trees and greenery throughout the city. It's just a beautiful place.
~~Power on Australia's best exports........
I'd say Will Power. There are people like Keith Urban and Nicole Kidman. I don't want to say them, because I don't know them. Aussie Vineyards AU wine.
~~Briscoe on What is the best Australian food..........
Steak on the barbecue. We like to barbecue. Steak and sausages and grilled onions are right up there.
~~Briscoe on Australia's gift to the world.........
Probably one of their best gifts is Australian beer, but it's not exported much. You've only got Fosters outside of Australia. It's probably one of the world's best kept secrets. Vegemite is an easy answer.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

IndyCar Drivers Busy in RunUp to Surfers........

Post by mlittle » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:05 am

IndyCar Series drivers have been busy during the final day of preparations ahead of the Nikon Indy 300 which fires into action on the streets of Surfers Paradise in Queensland, Australia tomorrow. While some drivers headed to the beach others tried their hand at driving at the V8 Off Road Buggy Experience before they all converged on the 4.47km street circuit for a track walk with their race engineers.

A selection of drivers joined with their Australian V8 Supercar counterparts and the Bartercard Miss Indy finalists in the traditional Beach Volleyball competition on the Surfers Paradise beach this morning. Oriol Servia, who will fly the Team Australia flag alongside Queenslander Will Power for the KV Racing Technology team this weekend, was one of the keen participants in the activity. "The Gold Coast Event is certainly a highlight on any IndyCar drivers schedule, I've been here on a number of occasions and everytime it has been a huge amount of fun," said Servia. "Once again today's volleyball game was enjoyable but the serious stuff starts once we get on track."

As the volleyball was being contested on the beach former winner of the Nikon Indy 300, Ryan Hunter-Reay, was joined by Vision Racing's Ed Carpenter and AJ Foyt IV in an off road experience with a difference just North of the Gold Coast at the V8 Off Road Buggy facility. The trio put the V8-powered machines through their paces before being joined by Hunter-Reay's partner, Beccy Gordon - a regular competitor on the American Off Road secene - behind the wheel. During the day Hunter-Reay and Gordon, the sister of NASCAR star and former IndyCar driver Robby Gordon, shared their experiences of competing in the famous Off Road event, the Baja 1000, with the Vision Racing pair and the staff at the complex. Hunter-Reay thoroughly enjoyed the Off Road experience and after spending the past week relaxing on Hayman Island is keen to get behind the wheel of his ethanol-backed IndyCar on the Gold Coast. "In my mind there is no doubt that behind the Indianapolis 500, this Event is the marquee Event on the schedule, whether it is for championship points or not it doesn't really matter - we all want to come here and win!" said Hunter-Reay. "I just love coming down here, the Event has a great atmosphere about it. I just hope that the IndyCar Series and the Event organisers can work a business deal out to make sure we continue to come here for many years to come. Every year that I've been here I've been lucky enough to do some pretty cool things. The Off Road V8 experience today was impressive, the cars had a fair bit of power and went pretty hard - I really enjoyed it."

Just prior to the track walk with their race engineers Mario Moraes and Vitor Meira took time out to visit the Kids Under Cover, an official charity of the Nikon Indy 300, Bungalow trackside this afternoon. Kids Under Cover raises the funds necessary to build bungalows and provide scholarships for at risk young people, as they believe every young person has the right to a safe and secure home and a sound education. Bungalow accommodation also acts as a preventative measure, by allowing children to remain with carers even when the living conditions in the main house may be difficult. Gold Coast teenagers 14 year old Faith and 12 year old Taylor showed off a Bungalow to Moraes and Meira today.

With 96 hours of non-stop excitement over October 23-26 as the Gold Coast comes alive to the sound of the IndyCar Series burning up the track and Australia's own V8 Supercars scorching around one of the most famous beach-side cities in the world, the event is the hottest ticket in town.

note.....the above was from a press release; the link to the complete press release is here.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:02 am

First practice session beginning............unfortunately, no timing and scoring at the moment....... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:07 am

Confused.......on the video feed, it said..............CHAMP CARS, Practice #1.......WTF? :shock2: :shock2: :shock2: :shock2: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:13 am

Quick note........of the drivers competing this weekend, only a few were here last year(Servia, Power, Rahal, Wilson, Tagliani, Junquiera); everyone either hasn't competed since 2006, 2002, 2001 or not at all.............. :shock: :shock: :shock:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:18 am

Considering how well the Australian commentators are talking vs. what typically passes here in the States on ESPN, can we switch announcers? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Still no timing and scoring........... :evil:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:23 am

Listening to the commentary, James Davison noted the differences between the Indy Lights and IndyCar cars and speeds, then added, "at some of our events, most of the Indy Lights teams qualified faster than some of the IndyCar teams......." :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: (Mod's note........okay, then....... :shock: :shock: )