2009 Infineon Open Test Thread

All about Indy Racing League (IRL)

Moderators: Ed, mlittle

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

2009 Infineon Open Test Thread

Post by mlittle » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:40 am

Three IndyCar Series drivers completed the first day of a two-day test session Aug. 12 at Infineon Raceway in advance of the Indy Grand Prix of Sonoma on Aug. 22-23.

Mike Conway (Dreyer & Reinbold Racing) posted the fastest time of the day at 1 minute, 19.25 seconds on the 2.303-mile circuit. He was followed by fellow rookie Raphael Matos (Luczo Drag Racing) at 1:19.516 and teammate Milka Duno (1:27.07).

"We're looking forward to next week," Conway said. "Today and tomorrow are crucial for us to get the car quick so we don't have to change too much next weekend. Being fast tomorrow is the most important, when there are other drivers on the track."

Firestone Indy Lights driver Sebastian Saavedra also tested in an Andretti Green Racing car (1:19.695). All times were provided by Honda.

Testing continues Aug. 13 with additional drivers, including defending race champion Helio Castroneves (Team Penske); points leader Scott Dixon (Target Chip Ganassi Racing); Ryan Briscoe (Team Penske); Dan Wheldon (Panther Racing); Ryan Hunter-Reay (A.J. Foyt Racing); Justin Wilson (Dale Coyne Racing); Nelson Phillipe (Conquest Racing) and Franck Montagny (Andretti Green Racing).
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:45 am

~~~Times from Wednesday's Session
Mike Conway(Dreyer & Reinbold Racing), 1:19.250 sec
(R)Raphael Matos(Luczo-Dragon Racing), 1:19.516 sec
Milka Duno(Dreyer & Reinbold Racing), 1:27.070 sec
Sebastien Saavedra(AGR--Indy Lights), 1:19.695 sec

~~~Drivers expected to test Thursday
--Team Penske: Helio Castroneves, Ryan Briscoe
--Target/Ganassi Racing: Scott Dixon
--Panther Racing: Dan Wheldon
--A.J. Foyt Racing: Ryan Hunter-Reay
--Dale Coyne Racing: Justin Wilson
--Conquest Racing: Nelson Phillipe
--Andretti-Green Racing: Franck Montagny

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:05 pm

Dreyer & Reinbold Racing rookie Mike Conway can gather some momentum from a successful test at Infineon Raceway in advance of the Indy Grand Prix of Sonoma.

Conway paced the 13 drivers testing on the 2.303-mile circuit Aug. 13 with a quick lap of 1 minute, 17.48 seconds. He was followed by Team Penske's Ryan Briscoe, the pole sitter for the race last year, at 1:17.76 and HVM Racing's E.J. Viso at 1:17.94.

"(Aug. 12) was more of a shakedown for us to make sure we don't have any problems," Conway said. "On these test days it's really crucial that you can really back-to-back things because on a race weekend you don't get enough time. I think we should be looking OK for next weekend, and I'm looking forward to coming back."

Drivers return to the Sonoma Valley road course next week for practice and qualifications on Aug. 22 and the 75-lap race on Aug. 23. The event has featured four different winners (Tony Kanaan, Marco Andretti, Scott Dixon and Helio Castroneves).

Panther Racing's Dan Wheldon (1:17.98) and IndyCar Series championship points leader Dixon of Target Chip Ganassi Racing (1:18.09) rounded out the top five. Defending race champion Castroneves clocked in at 1:18.25 for Team Penske. All times were reported by Honda.

"It's a special track and the car needs a lot of fine-tuning for it," said Robert Doornbos, who was driving on the course for the first time. "It was nice to work in the peace and quiet with my new team and try some different things. I'm fairly pleased with what we did.

"My engineer, Neil (Fife), and I are both very competitive, so we're never going to be completely happy. We're always going to keep pushing. But we're fairly happy with how the day went and we're looking forward to the race."

Doornbos, who competed in the No. 33 HVM Racing entry for the first time at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course on Aug. 9, had a best lap of 1:18.26.

Other times posted during the test included: Justin Wilson (Dale Coyne Racing, 1:18.25); Raphael Matos (Luczo Dragon Racing, 1:18.34); Ryan Hunter-Reay (A.J. Foyt Racing, 1:18.37); Franck Montagny (Andretti Green Racing, 1:18.91); Nelson Philippe (Conquest Racing, 1:19.32); and Milka Duno (Dreyer & Reinbold Racing, 1:23.3).