2010 Silly Season Thread

All about Indy Racing League (IRL)

Moderators: Ed, mlittle

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

2010 Silly Season Thread

Post by mlittle » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:13 am

Now, with only about 6-8 weeks before the first race of the 2010 IZOD IndyCar Series season(yes, the series finally found a worthy sponsor....... :shock: :shock: :shock: ), I'm going to be playing things by both ear and close to the vest, but as of 25 January 2010 here is the projected driver lineup.....................

~~~Andretti Autosport(4): Tony Kanaan, Danica Patrick, Marco Andretti and Ryan Hunter-Reay*

~~~Team Penske(3): Ryan Briscoe, Helio Castroneves and Will Power**

~~~Target/Ganassi Racing(2): Dario Franchitti and Scott Dixon

~~~NHL Racing(2): Alex Lloyd, Hideki Mutoh

~~~KV Racing Technology(2): drivers tbd***

~~~Dale Coyne Racing(2): drivers tbd****

~~~FAZZT Racing(1): Alex Tagliani

~~~Panther Racing(1): Dan Wheldon

~~~Dreyer & Reinbold Racing(2): Justin Wilson, second driver tbd^

~~~Conquest Racing(1-2): drivers tbd^^

~~~Sarah Fisher Racing(2): Sarah Fisher, Jay Howard+

~~~Luczo/Dragon Racing(2): Raphael Matos, second driver tbd

From the above confirmed/open that are known at present..............
---Confirmed Drivers: 14
---Open Seats: 4
[Total...........18]
*--part time at present; will become full-time if sponsors found
**--satellite entry registered as Penske Racing
***--Moraes expected to return; other driver(s) tbd
****--if DRR ride falls through, expect Justin Wilson in this seat
^--Milka Duno and/or Mike Conway expected to return for 2010
^^--unknown whether Conquest will make the bell this year
^^^--both drivers running part-time schedule(Fisher at least 9 races, Howard at least 4 races)

Now, free agents and 2010 rookie drivers(and their expected landing spots).............................
~~~Graham Rahal(Target/Ganassi if sponsorship for full-time 3rd entry can be found)
~~~Bruno Junquiera(Conquest, Dreyer & Reinbold or Dale Coyne Racing)
~~~Paul Tracy(KV Racing Technology; expected to race at Indy, Edmonton, Toronto and selected other events based on sponsorship)
~~~E.J. Viso(KV Racing Technology if Moraes is unable to race in 2010)
~~~Ana Beatriz(Dale Coyne Racing[?]; will race at Sao Paulo and other events if sponsorship can be secured)
~~~Davey Hamilton(KV Racing Technology; expected to race at both Indy and Texas)
~~~Townsend Bell(TGR/Sam Schmidt Mtrspts.; expected to race at Indy)

~~~Projected Grid Count: 22-25
Last edited by mlittle on Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:17 am

Vision Suspends Operations

With Vision Racing effectively on-ice for the forseeable future, the series has all but lost one full-time entry. Current list of unsigned/unconfirmed drivers at present...........

---Ed Carpenter
---Justin Wilson
---Alex Lloyd
---Hideki Mutoh
---Milka Duno
---Mike Conway
---Bruno Junquiera
---Paul Tracy
---Ana Beatriz
---E.J. Viso
---Davey Hamilton
---Townsend Bell

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:59 am

Current 2010 Driver Lineup

~~Team Penske(3): Helio Castroneves, Ryan Briscoe, Will Power*
*---satellite entry listed as Penske Racing

~~Andretti Autosport(4): Danica Patrick, Tony Kanaan, Marco Andretti, Ryan Hunter-Reay*
*---currently scheduled to run a part-time schedule

~~Target/Ganassi Racing(2): Dario Franchitti, Scott Dixon

~~NHL Racing(2): Alex Lloyd, Hideki Mutoh

~~KV Racing Technology(2): E.J. Viso(?), Mario Moraes(?), Paul Tracy*
*---currently scheduled to run Indy, Edmonton & Toronto)

~~Sarah Fisher Racing(2)*: Sarah Fisher, Jay Howard
*---both drivers to run part-time schedules in 2010

~~FAZZT Racing(1): Alex Tagliani

~~Panther Racing(1): Dan Wheldon

~~Conquest Racing(1-2)*: drivers tbd
*---unknown whether Conquest will make the bell this year

~~Dale Coyne Racing(1-2)*: drivers tbd
*---team expected to decide right before season-opener

~~A.J. Foyt Racing(1): Vitor Meira

~~HVM Racing(2): Robert Doornbos, Simona de Silvestro

~~Luczo-Dragon Racing(1): Raphael Matos

~~Dreyer & Reinbold Racing(2)*: drivers tbd.
*---either Milka Duno or Mike Conway is expected to return in 2010

----Confirmed Drivers: 16
----Unconfirmed: 6-9

Other drivers expected to race in 2010............
~~Ana Beatriz*
~~Davey Hamilton**
~~Ed Carpenter
~~Townsend Bell***
~~Bruno Junquiera
~~Graham Rahal^
*--will race in the season-opener in Brazil; team unknown at present
**--will race at Indy and Texas w/KVRT
***--will race at Indy w/TGR-SSM
^--expected to race for either Penske or Ganassi

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Viso to test with KV Racing

Post by mlittle » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:43 am

KV RACING TECHNOLOGY AND E. J. VISO TO TEST AT SEBRING

INDIANAPOLIS, IN -- FEBRUARY 13, 2010 -- KV Racing Technology and E. J. Viso announced today that they will conduct a test at Sebring International Raceway in Sebring, Florida on Monday, February 15.

"E. J. is an outstanding driver," said KVRT General Manager Mark Johnson. "We have been in discussions with him for several weeks about possibly joining KV Racing Technology for the 2010 IndyCar Series season. Testing him at Sebring seemed like the next logical step in that process."

Viso, 24, spent the last two seasons competing for HVM Racing. Last year was a tough season for the native of Caracas, Venezuela. He competed in all 17 IndyCar events earning a season high seventh at Watkins Glen. In 2008, his first in the IndyCar Series, Viso had a solid season contesting 15 races and earning five top-10 finishes including one top-five showing, improving 11 positions to finish fourth at St. Petersburg in just second IndyCar race. He also led his first career IndyCar Series laps at St. Petersburg (12). Additionally, Viso competed in the Champ Car World Series finale in Long Beach placing ninth and finished sixth in the Nikon Indy 300 exhibition race in Australia both with HVM Racing.

"I want to thank Kevin Kalkhoven, Jimmy Vasser and Mark Johnson for the opportunity to test with KV Racing Technology. I would also like to thank my sponsors PDVSA, Herbalife, SBA Airlines and CANTV for their support," said Viso. "KVRT is an outstanding team and one that is very competitive. I look forward to showing them what I can do during the test and hopefully everything will go well so we can all move forward toward racing together in 2010."

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

DFM and Luczo-Dragon Become Partners

Post by mlittle » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:06 am

Strong ties with Luczo Dragon co-owner Jay Penske and driver Raphael Matos made it easy for the two-time CART champion to merge his operation with the sophomore IndyCar team

-----Gil de Ferran, owner of de Ferran Motorsports and the 2003 Indianapolis 500 winner, will serve as co-owner, president and managing partner of Luczo Dragon Racing/de Ferran Motorsports in the IZOD IndyCar Series. After spending the past two years as driver and team owner of de Ferran Motorsports in the American Le Mans Series, de Ferran has been focused on bringing his championship experience to the IZOD IndyCar Series. The decision to join forces with Luczo Dragon Racing is based on a desire from both teams to build one of the most advanced and high technology motorsports operations in North America.

"We have been talking to Gil about this for some time and we felt this was the perfect opportunity to combine our resources," Luczo said. "Gil has the experience of working with major manufacturers and leading racing teams all over the world and we feel we can bring the essential business acumen and managerial expertise to the operation. Our skills are highly complementary and we all have the same vision and ambitions. We're very excited about the direction of our team."

The combined skills of the three partners will create a formidable framework around which to operate. Penske, the youngest son of Roger Penske, has built an impressive media and publishing firm while maintaining a close interest in the sport. Luczo is chairman and CEO of Seagate Technologies, while de Ferran's successes are well documented in the world of motorsport as a driver and more recently a team owner.

"Gil and I have known each other for 10 years - when he started racing for my father," Penske said.
"Gil has always had ambitions outside of the car and Steve and I have been talking to him about working together for some time. Luczo Dragon Racing and de Ferran Motorsports will live together. We all share the same vision for the future in this industry and with our combined skills we are confident that we can make a real success story of this new venture. We have the resources and the knowledge to build a great motorsport organization together."

Said de Ferran: "This is a hugely exciting announcement. Our aim is to put together a state-of-the-art motorsports operation with a sharp focus in high technology and developing the science of performance. We have a very talented driver in Raphael Matos who has been a winner at every level he raced and showed great potential already last year, becoming rookie of the year. The foundation is set and with our collective resources and leadership we hope to break new ground and become one of the most competitive teams in the IZOD IndyCar Series."

Luczo Dragon Racing was formed in 2007 with Ryan Briscoe finishing fifth in the Indianapolis 500, the team's initial race. After a limited schedule in 2008, Luczo Dragon ran a full season in 2009 and claimed the Apex-Brasil Rookie of the Year title Award with Matos behind the wheel.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Sato to KVRT in 2010

Post by mlittle » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:08 am

-----KV Racing Technology announced that Takuma Sato will drive for the team during the 2010 IZOD IndyCar Series season. "We are very excited to have been able to put this deal together with Takuma and his group," KVRT co-owner Jimmy Vasser said. "I can't wait to see what I know will be a extremely fast pace by Taku on the road courses and look forward to working with him and getting him up to speed on the ovals. I have no doubt that Taku will be right on the pace immediately. Taku's knowledge and experience will be a great asset and his great sense of humor and easy manner will add positive energy to our team."

Sato, 33, who got some seat time earlier this week at Sebring International Raceway, will be behind the wheel of the No. 5 KV Racing Technology car next week during the Open Test at Barber Motorsports Park in Alabama. The season opens March 14 on the streets of Sao Paulo, Brazil.

Sato is a veteran of seven Formula One seasons. He began his career racing bicycles and go-karts in his native Japan. In 1998, Taku moved to Europe to race cars. Over the course of the next three seasons, he competed in several European series most notably British Formula 3. Sato placed fourth in the British Formula 3 National Class B championship in 1999, third in Class A in 2000 and won the Class A championship in 2001.

His 16 wins in British Formula 3 over the 2000 and 2001 seasons is still a record. Sato made the jump to Formula 1 in 2002, competing for Jordan-Honda. He ran 17 races that first season, earning one top-five finish, placing fifth and earning his first F1 championship point, in the season finale at Suzuka, Japan. In 2003, Sato moved to the British American Racing (BAR)-Honda F1 team ,where he spent the next three seasons serving first as a test and third driver then competing full time.

His best F1 season was in 2004 when he placed eighth in the championship with 34 points on the strength of 10 top-10 finishes including five top-five showings and one podium, placing third at the United States Grand Prix. In 2006, Sato joined the new Super Aguri-Honda F1 team. He spent the next two plus seasons with Super Aguri until the team withdrew after just four races in 2008.

"This is a very exciting time for me and all my supporters," said Sato, a native of Tokyo. "I have really missed racing last year and can't wait to get started in this new challenge with such a great team. To me, KV Racing Technology is a team with massive potential and great team spirit. With such a great champion as Jimmy leading the team, I am really confident that we will soon be a strong combination. I am also really motivated by the chance to be fighting at the front of the field, something I have missed in recent seasons. I want to thank sincerely everyone who has continued to support me through difficult times and look forward to enjoying success together very soon."

Mario Moraes competed full time with KV Racing Technology in 2009, posting three top-five finishes in 16 races. Paul Tracy drove in six races with the team in '09.
Last edited by mlittle on Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Mutoh to NHLR in 2010

Post by mlittle » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:04 am

~~~~Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing has signed Hideki Mutoh to drive the No. 06 Formula Dream/Panasonic car for the 2010 IZOD IndyCar Series season. It will be the third full season of competition for Mutoh, 27, who earned rookie of the year honors in 2008.

"Hideki has shown he is able to adapt quickly to new challenges by finishing second overall in the Firestone Indy Lights series in 2007 when he competed on an oval for the first time," co-owner Carl Haas said on behalf of the team. "The 2008 battle for the IndyCar Series Rookie of the Year in the newly-unified series was very close with Hideki emerging as the winner. In his two years in the IndyCar Series he has earned several podium finishes and we are looking forward to adding more."

Mutoh, a native of Tokyo, is a graduate of Honda's driver development program, Honda Formula Dream Project, and progressed through various ladder series in Japan and Europe before he came to the United States in 2007 to compete for Super Aguri Panther Racing in the Firestone Indy Lights series where he finished second to champion Alex Lloyd. He made his IndyCar Series debut at the 2007 season finale at Chicagoland Speedway for Super Aguri Panther Racing and moved to Andretti Green Racing for the 2008 and 2009 seasons.

"Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing has always been known for their success and I am proud to add my name to all of those who have driven for the team before me," Mutoh said. "I started watching Indy car racing when Nigel Mansell came to race in the United States from Formula One so I am happy to be racing for the same team he raced for. I already have taken my picture with his race car that is in the lobby of the team's race shop. I'm looking forward to starting the season."

Mutoh finished 10th in the 2008 standings, earning a best starting position of third place at Nashville Speedway and best finish to date of second at Iowa Speedway. In 2009, he finished 11th in the series standings and his best start of fifth place came at Infineon Raceway. He had a best finish of third at Iowa Speedway.
Last edited by mlittle on Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Viso to KVRT in 2010

Post by mlittle » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:07 am

------KV Racing Technology that E. J. Viso will join the team for the 2010 IZOD IndyCar Series season. Viso will drive the No. 8 KVRT entry supported by PDVSA, Herbalife, CANTV, SBA Airlines and team partner Plantronics.

"We are very excited to have E. J. join our driver line-up for 2010," team general manager Mark Johnson. said. "We have been in talks with E.J. for quite some time now and successfully tested him at Sebring. Over the last two seasons he has impressed both Jimmy (KVRT co-owner Jimmy Vasser) and I with his race craft and growth as a driver. E.J. brings IndyCar and oval experience to our team, which will be extremely valuable as we progress through the season. I would also like to welcome commercial partners PDVSA, Herbalife, CANTV and SBA Airlines to the KVRT organization. We look forward to working with all of them."

Viso, 24, spent the past two seasons competing for HVM Racing. His best finish is a fourth at St. Petersburg in his second IZOD IndyCar Series race. He also led his first career laps at St. Petersburg (12).

"I want to thank Kevin Kalkhoven, Jimmy Vasser, Mark Johnson and my valued partners PDVSA, Herbalife, CANTV and SBA Airlines for making it possible for me to race with KV Racing Technology this season," Viso said. "As I have said before, KVRT is an outstanding team and I think joining them is the best thing for my racing career right now. I believe the structure KVRT has in place will provide for a very productive 2010 season." Viso joins Takuma Sato, who signed with the team last week.
Last edited by mlittle on Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Updated Silly Season Thread

Post by mlittle » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:21 am

---note: confirmed drivers in bold, 2010 rookie entrants in italics

~~~~Updated 2010 Driver Lineup
~~~Target/Ganassi Racing(2): Dario Franchitti, Scott Dixon

~~~Andretti-Autosport(4): Danica Patrick, Marco Andretti, Tony Kanaan, Ryan Hunter-Reay*
*--currently scheduled to run part-time for AA in 2010

~~~Team Penske(3): Ryan Briscoe, Helio Castroneves, Will Power*
*--will drive for Penske Racing as a satellite entry to Team Penske

~~~KV Racing Technology(2): E.J. Viso, Takuma Sato

~~~NHL Racing(1): Hideki Mutoh

~~~Dreyer & Reinbold Racing(2): Justin Wilson, Mike Conway

~~~Luczo-Dragon/DFM Motorsports(1): Raphael Matos

~~~Sarah Fisher Racing(2): Sarah Fisher*, Jay Howard*
*--both Fisher and Howard will run part-time schedules in 2010

~~~FAZZT Racing(1): Alex Tagliani

~~~Panther Racing(1): Dan Wheldon

~~~A.J. Foyt Racing(1): Vitor Meira

-----Number of Confirmed Drivers: 20(16 full-time, 4 part-time)

~~~~2010 Free-Agent and/or Rookie Drivers
----(r)Ana Beatriz: expected to drive at season opener for TGR/SSM; possible part-time schedule for 2010
----Townsend Bell: confirmed for Indy w/TGR-SSM
----Davey Hamilton: confirmed for both Indy and Texas for KVRT
----Milka Duno: expected to compete for DCR in 2010
----Robert Doornbos: expected to compete for HVM in 2010
----(r)Simona de Silvestro: expected to compete for HVM starting at Kansas in 2010
----Bruno Junquiera: ????
----Graham Rahal: ?????
----Ed Carpenter: ??????

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:49 am

Unless anything major changes prior to the first practice session at Sao Paulo in mid-March, the expected entrant lineup for the 2010 IZOD IndyCar Series season should be as follows....................
......note: 2010 rookie entrants listed in italics

----Full Time Entrants
~~Team Penske(2): Ryan Briscoe, Helio Castroneves
~~Penske Racing(1): Will Power
~~Andretti Autosport(3): Danica Patrick, Tony Kanaan, Marco Andretti
~~Target/Ganassi Racing(2): Dario Franchitti, Scott Dixon
~~KV Racing Technology(2): E.J. Viso, Takuma Sato
~~NHL Racing(1): Hideki Mutoh
~~Dreyer & Reinbold Racing(2): Justin Wilson
~~Luczo Dragon-DFM Racing(1): Raphael Matos
~~HVM Racing(1): Simona de Silvestro
~~Dale Coyne Racing(1): Milka Duno
~~Conquest Racing(1): Mario Romancini
~~Panther Racing(1): Dan Wheldon
~~A.J. Foyt Racing(1): Vitor Meira
~~FAZZT Racing(1): Alex Tagliani

----Part Time Entrants
~~Andretti Autosport(1): Ryan Hunter-Reay
~~Sarah Fisher Racing(2): Sarah Fisher, Jay Howard
~~KV Racing Technology(1): Paul Tracy
~~Sam Schmidt Motorsports(1): Townsend Bell
~~Luczo-Dragon/DFM Racing(1): Davey Hamilton
~~Dreyer & Reinbold Racing(1): Ana Beatriz
~~Bryan Herta Autosport(1): Sebastien Saavedra
~~Robby Gordon Motorsports(1): Robby Gordon

No. of 2010 FT entrants: 20
No. of 2010 PT entrants: 9
Expected average car count per race........22-24
No. of 2010 rookie entrants: 3

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Late Silly Season News

Post by mlittle » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:09 pm

~~~~SFR signs Rahal for 2 races, DCR signs Lloyd for season

former NHLR pilot Graham Rahal will race for Sarah Fisher Racing at St. Pete and Barber; other races could be in the works........

-----In a series woefully short of red, white and blue, one American has come to the aid of another. Sarah Fisher, who knows all about being abandoned by the IndyCar series in years past, has snapped Graham Rahal off the unemployment line for the races at St. Petersburg and Birmingham, Ala.

Rahal, the fastest rising star in IndyCar who was left rideless when Newman/Haas couldn't find a sponsor, will wheel Fisher's No. 67 Dollar General Dallara/Honda in the first North American events of 2010.

"I was very impressed when I came to visit the shop and I really respect Sarah for what she's put together because she doesn't have a huge budget but she's got a good little team," said Rahal, who was in Fisher's Indianapolis shop on Wednesday being fitted for a seat and will test next week at Barber Motorsports Park in Alabama. I appreciate her giving me this opportunity and I'm going to do everything I can to make a splash for her and Dollar General."

The 21-year-old son of the three-time CART champion has been trying to put something together with Chip Ganassi for the past two months but nothing has materialized yet so this was perfect timing.

"I was sitting at Buffalo Wild Wings in Oxford, Ohio with my girlfriend watching television when Andy (O'Gara, chief mechanic and Sarah's husband) called me a few days ago," related Rahal, who captured his IndyCar series debut at St. Pete and was on the pole there a year ago. It's been a pretty frustrating winter and now I can get back to being a race driver."

Fisher, who had been approached to make this announcement on WIND TUNNEL last Sunday but had to decline because the deal had not been finalized, has done a nice job of recovering from IndyCar's philosophical changes. She was the IRL's most popular driver in 2000-2001-2002 after becoming the first female to ever win an IndyCar pole and score a podium (third at Kentucky in 2000 and second at Homestead in 2001).

But, despite her popularity, the IRL didn't step in to find her good rides and following 2004 when she made only one start, Fisher tried stock cars in 2005. She formed her own team in 2008 and made three starts before running six times last season.

Because IndyCar is now top-heavy with road races and she's an oval tracker, Sarah hired Jay Howard for five races this year and she was planning on driving St. Pete and Alabama herself (in addition to seven ovals) before deciding that getting young Rahal could be a benefit to everyone. "Dollar General's home office is in Goodlettsville [Tennessee] and obviously Graham is a helluva talent so it makes a lot of sense," was Fisher's stance last Sunday.

Also, Dale Coyne revealed the worst-kept secret in IndyCar today, confirming they've hired Englishman Alex Lloyd to drive the Boy Scouts of America IndyCar...