2010 Indianapolis 500 Silly Season................

All about Indy Racing League (IRL)

Moderators: Ed, mlittle

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

2010 Indianapolis 500 Silly Season................

Post by mlittle » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:03 pm

Once again, it is that time of year..........time to look into the somewhat jaded motorsports crystal ball and see just who is going to attempt to show up at the Brickyard for this year's running of "the Greatest Spectacle in Racing", the Indianapolis 500.

Here is a tentative list of those certain to be at the Brickyard come the beginning week or so of May 2010.....................
note 1........drivers listed in italics are Indy 500 rookie entrants
note 2........drivers listed in bold italics are both 500 rookie entrants and 2010 IndyCar Series rookie entrants
note 3.........drivers underlined are past Indy 500 winners

Confirmed 500 Entries
~~~Team Penske(2): Helio Castroneves, Ryan Briscoe
~~~Penske Racing(1): Will Power
~~~Andretti Autosport(4): Danica Patrick, Tony Kanaan, Marco Andretti, Ryan HUnter-Reay
~~~NHL Racing(2): Hideki Mutoh, Graham Rahal
~~~Target/Ganassi Racing(2): Scott Dixon, Dario Franchitti
~~~Panther Racing(1): Dan Wheldon
~~~KV Racing Technology(4): Paul Tracy, Takuma Sato, Mario Moraes, E.J. Viso
~~~Luczo-Dragon/DeFerran Motorsports(2): Raphael Matos, Davey Hamilton
~~~Sarah Fisher Racing(2): Sarah Fisher, Jay Howard
~~~FAZZT Racing(2): Alex Tagliani, Bruno Junquiera
~~~Conquest Racing(2): Mario Romancini, Bertrand Baguette
~~~HVM Racing(1): Simona de Silvestro
~~~Dreyer & Reinbold Racing(2): Justin Wilson, Mike Conway
~~~Dale Coyne Racing(2): Alex Lloyd, Milka Duno
~~~A.J. Foyt Racing(1): Vitor Meira
~~~Sam Schmidt Mtrspts/Ganassi(1): Townsend Bell
~~~Bryan Herta Autosport(1): Sebastien Saavedra
~~~RGM/Walker Racing(1): Robby Gordon
No. of confirmed entries............33

Additional Entries(list subject to change; drivers unknown at present).........
~~~Andretti Autosport(1)
~~~Vision Racing(1)
~~~Hemelgarn Racing(1)
~~~Patron Highcroft Racing(1)
~~~A.J. Foyt Racing(1)
~~~Panther Racing(1)
~~~PDM/American Spirit Racing(1)
~~~KV Racing Technology(1)
~~~Team 3G/Curb Racing(1)
~~~Rahal/Letterman Racing(1)
No. of additional entries at present.................10
Total Number of Entries at Present: 43
Last edited by mlittle on Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Petty & Andretti Join Forces for 2010 Indy 500..........

Post by mlittle » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:09 am

The iconic #43 will return to the IndyCar Series for both the Indy 500 and the IndyCar race at Kansas w/John Andretti at the wheel..........

-----Andretti Autosport announced today it will work in a joint effort with racing legend Richard Petty and Window World, Inc., to field a fifth IZOD IndyCar Series entry for veteran driver John Andretti, first at Kansas Speedway on May 1 and then in the 2010 Indianapolis 500 on May 30.

After his debut run at Kansas, John will attempt to make his 11th Indianapolis 500 start behind the wheel of the #43 Team Window World car. A successful qualifying attempt for John on May 22 or 23 will deepen the Andretti family legacy at Indianapolis Motor Speedway as he drives for the team owned by his cousin, Michael.

"I'm really excited to be able to be a part of this," explained Michael Andretti, who previously raced against his cousin in CART. "Richard Petty is one of the true legends in our sport and someone I have always admired. Window World deserves a lot of credit for bringing all of this together. "I have a lot of respect for John's talent - I always have. I really think he will fit in very well at Andretti Autosport and can be a factor during the month of May."

John Andretti was equally as excited to join forces with his cousin. "It would be difficult to script a scenario any better than the one we have here. The relationship I have with Richard, the respect I have for Michael and his team, the partnership I enjoy with Window World and all of it focused on the Indianapolis 500 - it's really a perfect situation. I can't wait to get in the car and get to work. May can't get here soon enough."

Window World, the nation's largest replacement window company, will enjoy its second-consecutive Indy 500 as primary sponsor of the #43. Window World and Petty first teamed together with the #43 driven by John for last year's Indy 500. The car will once again feature Petty's traditional "Petty Blue" and "Day-Glo Red" color scheme made famous by "The King" during his unparalleled career.

The car will also sport the marks of Window World Cares, the charitable foundation of Window World, Inc., which supports St. Jude Children's Research Hospital®. The foundation is currently working in support of the company's newly-launched program, "Opening Windows for St. Jude Kids," through which Window World hopes to raise $1.5 million - the hospital's daily operating cost.Since its inception, Window World Cares has raised more than $630,000 for St. Jude.

Petty, a racing icon and one of the most-recognizable figures in NASCAR history, will be participating in his second-straight Indianapolis 500. A 200-time NASCAR race winner and seven-time NASCAR champion, Petty witnessed the Indianapolis 500 in person for the first time in 2007 and participated as a co-owner for the first time last year. Andretti Autosport has tasted victory twice at Indianapolis - the first time in 2005 and most recently in 2007, which is also the last time the team featured a five-car lineup in the storied event.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Carpenter to race for Panther at the Brickyard..............

Post by mlittle » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:28 pm

Vision Racing's Ed Carpenter will join 2005 Indy 500 winner Dan Wheldon for Panther Racing's 2-car assault on the Brickyard

~~~Panther Racing announced today it has partnered with Vision Racing and will enter Ed Carpenter in the No. 20 Dallara Honda during next month’s 94th Running of the Indianapolis 500 Mile Race. The collaboration between the two IZOD IndyCar Series teams will pair Carpenter with full-time Panther driver Dan Wheldon, pilot of the No. 4 National Guard Panther Racing entry.

“We looked at a lot of opportunities for the Month of May, and as strong as Vision Racing has run the last few years, we felt like partnering with them made a lot of sense for us,” John Barnes, CEO and co-owner of Panther Racing, said. “I feel that Ed (Carpenter) is a threat to win at any race he runs, and he’s proved that to this league in the last two or three years. His addition to the National Guard team along with Dan Wheldon is going to make our entire team stronger. I honestly hope this isn’t a one-and-done deal, and we very much look forward to the opportunity of expanding this and running more IZOD IndyCar Series races together this season.”

The partnership is even more special for Barnes, who has been friends with Vision team owner Tony George for over 20 years.

“I am very pleased that we have this opportunity to partner with an excellent organization. This collaboration with Panther Racing will allow two teams that want nothing else but to compete and strive for success in the upcoming Indianapolis 500 the opportunity do so to the best of their abilities,” George said. “With this partnership between teams and drivers, we will also be able to maximize the potential of both parties and field what I am sure will be a very formidable two-car effort. There are close personal and professional relationships within our two organizations that should allow us to put forth a cohesive effort we will all be proud of and have high expectations for achieving results.”

Six-year IndyCar Series veteran Ed Carpenter will make a return behind the wheel of the No. 20 that he has driven since Vision Racing’s inception in 2005. The 29-year-old Indianapolis resident finished the 2009 season by earning his career best finish of second, matched his career best start of fourth, led 35 laps and drove to six top-ten finishes.

“I am very excited not only to be returning to the Indianapolis 500, but also working with Panther Racing,” Ed Carpenter, who finished fifth and eighth in the last two runnings of the Indianapolis 500, explained. “John Barnes has been a family friend for a long time, and I very grateful for this opportunity. I feel that with my experience, Vision Racing’s experience and Panther Racing’s experience and success at Indianapolis that we will be a very competitive duo. It has been very hard watching from the sidelines so far this season, and I am very motivated to compete for my first win.”

Panther Racing, who boasts 15 IndyCar Series wins and two league championships, is currently ninth in the championship standings with Wheldon after the first two races of the 2010 season. The team has finished runner-up in each of the last two Indianapolis 500s; in 2008 with Vitor Meira and again last year with Wheldon.

“I believe the addition of Ed Carpenter and Vision Racing to the National Guard Panther Racing group is phenomenal,” Wheldon said. “Ed’s always been very quick, especially around the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and I’m very much looking forward to being able to have a teammate of his caliber. I know we’ll work together well and be able to move the team forward, which will give us both a chance to win the Indianapolis 500. And it’s also very positive to have Vision’s involvement in the Panther program. I’m excited about being able to use some of their expertise and it’s great to see them back on track – they’re a team that was very close to their first IZOD IndyCar Series victory in Kentucky last year, and this partnership will get all of us one step close to victory lane.”

Vision Racing returns to IZOD IndyCar Series competition for the Indianapolis 500 as a result of this partnership with Panther Racing after suspending racing operations on January, 28, 2010 until such time that sponsorship could be secured.

“It has been an exceptionally long and extended off-season for Vision Racing that has recently had us turning our attention solely to the Indianapolis 500. The challenge of putting together a sponsorship package to enable Vision Racing to run the 2010 IZOD IndyCar Series schedule proved to be much more difficult than anticipated but our intention is to be back competing full-time in the future,” George explained. “Taking part in the 2010 Indianapolis 500 has been a priority and while we have yet to solidify a sponsorship lineup for the No. 20 Panther-Vision entry for Indy, we expect to make some sponsorship announcements in the coming weeks.”

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:04 pm

Current 94th Indianapolis 500 Entrant List.............

Based on all available sources, here is the updated silly season list of entrants for the 94th running of "The Greatest Spectacle in Racing", the 2010 Indianapolis 500..........................

Hideki Mutoh, #06 Panasonic
Raphael Matos, #2 HP-McAfee
(W)Helio Castroneves, #3 Team Penske
(W)Dan Wheldon, #4 National Guard
(R)Takuma Sato, #5 Lotus-Cosworth
Ryan Briscoe, #6 Team Penske
Danica Patrick, #7 GoDaddy.com
E.J. Viso, #8 PDVSA-KV Racing
(W)Scott Dixon, #9 Target
(W)Dario Franchitti, #10 Target
Tony Kanaan, #11 Team 7-11
Will Power, #12 Verizon Wireless
Vitor Meira, #14 ABC Supply Co.
Paul Tracy, #15 GEICO-KV Racing
*Graham Rahal, #17 Rahal-Letterman Racing
Milka Duno, #18 CITGO-Dale Coyne Racing
Alex Lloyd, #19 Boy Scouts of America
Ed Carpenter, #20 Menards-Vision/Panther
Davey Hamilton, #21 HP Computers
Justin Wilson, #22 Z-Line Designs
(R)Ana Beatriz, #23 Dreyer & Reinbold Racing
Mike Conway, #24 RollCoater-DRR
Marco Andretti, #26 Team Venom Energy
*(R)J.R. Hildebrand, #27 Automatic Fire Sprinklers
*(R)Sebastien Saavedra, #29 WilliamRast-BHA
Mario Moraes, #32 Pan Americano-KV Racing
(R)Mario Romancini, #34 Conquest Racing
(R)Bertrand Baguette, #36 RAC Belgium
Ryan Hunter-Reay, #37 IZOD
A.J. Foyt, IV, #41 ABC Supply Co.
John Andretti, #43 WindowWorld
*Robby Gordon, #55 Monster Energy-Walker Racing
(R)Jay Howard, #66 Tire Kingdom
Sarah Fisher, #67 Dollar General
Bruno Junqueira, #76 FAZZT Racing
Alex Tagliani, #77 Bowers & Wilkins
(R)Simona de Silvestro, #78 Team Stargate Worlds
Townsend Bell, #99 Sam Schmidt Mtrspts./TGR
(W)--past 500 winner
(R)--2010 Indy 500 rookie entrant
*--not confirmed

Possible Entrants By Team........................
Hemelgarn Racing(1)
PDM/American Spirit Racing(1)
Team 3G/Curb Racing(1)
HVM Racing(1)
Stars & Stripes Racing(1)

Possible Drivers Not Listed Above........................
--Tomas Scheckter
--Oriol Servia
--Scott Sharp
--Simon Pagenaud
--(W)Buddy Rice
--Buddy Lazier
--(R)James Hinchcliffe
--Roger Yasukawa

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

PT to return to the Brikyard w/KVRT, GEICO

Post by mlittle » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:11 am

the 'Thrill from West Hill' and the GEICO gecko are set to return to the Brickyard for next month's Indy 500

~~~KV Techology co-owners Kevin Kalkhoven and Jimmy Vasser announced Saturday that veteran driver Paul Tracy will join their team for the upcoming Indianapolis 500. Tracy, 41, will be attempting to qualify for his seventh Indianapolis 500. A year ago, he returned to Indianapolis with the KV team after a seven-year hiatus and finished in ninth place after running as high as fourth.

Tracy will drive the KV Racing Technology Honda/Dallara with primary sponsorship from Geico Insurance.

"I am thrilled that Paul (Tracy) will be joining our team in May," Kalkhoven said. "One thing about Paul there's always excitement around him." Added Vasser, "Paul and I have had great battles over the years, and I have a lot of respect for him." The team owners also indicated they hope to enter Tracy in the two IZOD IndyCar Series races in Canada and possibly others if funding can be arranged.

"I feel like I have unfinished business at Indianapolis," Tracy said, alluding to the controversial finish in 2002 race when he ended up second to Helio Castroneves. "I don't know if this could be my last 500 attempt, but I always drive every race like it is my last one. I put everything out there I have, and that's what I plan to do on Memorial Day."

Discussing his entry into premier event, Tracy stated, "A year ago our deal came together late, and I went into the race rusty," Tracy said. "This year we have known we were going to do this for a while, I have been working out and getting fit."

Tracy hopes to qualify in the top dozen cars but doesn't sense a need to get caught up in the run for the coveted pole position. "For us, we have to focus on what's best for the race, and the pole is not the most important thing for us."

Tracy's entry will give KV Technology four cars at Indianapolis. The Canadian native will be joining rookie Takuma Sato, E. J. Viso and Mario Moraes.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

DRR Adds Scheckter to 500 lineup

Post by mlittle » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:53 am

2002 Indy 500 rookie award winner Tomas Scheckter will drive the #23 entry for Dreyer & Reinbold Racing joining DRR drivers Justin Wilson and Mike Conway at the Brickyard for this year's Indy 500

(from 23 April 2010)
----Dreyer & Reinbold Racing announced that Tomas Scheckter will drive the team’s No. 23 car as a third entry in the 2010 Indianapolis 500. Scheckter, from Cape Town, South Africa, raced for DRR in 2009, competing in 10 IZOD IndyCar Series races for the team. He earned three top-10 finishes.

2002 Indianapolis 500 Chase co-Rookie of the Year Scheckter will attempt to make his ninth start in “The Greatest Spectacle in Racing.” His best start is 10th, in 2002, 2004 and 2007. His best finish was fourth in 2003. Scheckter started 26th and climbed to finish 12th for DRR last year at Indy, completing all 200 laps.

“I’m really happy to be back with Dreyer & Reinbold Racing and to be working with (race strategist) Larry Curry again,” Scheckter said. “I feel at home. We had a great Indy test at the end of last year, and I feel that the momentum that the team has built on the road/street courses with Mike (Conway) and Justin (Wilson), we can carry that on to the ovals.

“Also, having Justin as my teammate last year at Indy, we worked very well together. (Team owners) Dennis (Reinbold) and Robbie (Buhl) have been very supportive of getting this done and feel like we have a chance to do great things this year at the Speedway.”

Scheckter ranks fifth among active drivers in most laps led at Indy with 148.

“We are excited to have Tomas join our team for the Indy 500,” said Dennis Reinbold, Dreyer & Reinbold Racing co-owner. “He did a great job for us last year, and we are extremely happy that we were able to work something out with him for this event.” Dreyer & Reinbold Racing will make the sponsor announcement for the No. 23 car April 27.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:12 pm

2010 Indianapolis 500 Entrant List
note......list subject to change at any time
W--past Indy 500 winner
R--Indy 500 rookie entrant

Raphael Matos, #2 HP-Symantec
(W)Helio Castroneves, #3 Team Penske
(W)Dan Wheldon, #4 National Guard
(R)Takuma Sato, #5 Lotus-Cosworth
Ryan Briscoe, #6 Team Penske
Danica Patrick, #7 GoDaddy.com
E.J. Viso, #8 PDVSA-JetAviation
(W)Scott Dixon, #9 Target
(W)Dario Franchitti, #10 Target
Tony Kanaan, #11 Team 7-11
Will Power, #12 Verizon Wireless
Vitor Meira, #14 ABC Supply Co.
Paul Tracy, #15 GEICO
Milka Duno, #18 CITGO
Alex Lloyd, #19 Boy Scouts of America
Ed Carpenter, #20 Menards/Delphi
Davey Hamilton, #21 HP Computers
Justin Wilson, #22 Z-Line Designs
Tomas Scheckter, #23 MonaVie Energy Drink
Marco Andretti, #26 Team Venom Energy
(R)Sebastien Saavedra, #29 WilliamRast
Mario Moraes, #32 KV Racing
Bruno Junquiera, #33 Bowers & Wilkins
(R)Mario Romancini, #34 Conquest Racing
(R)Bertrand Baguette, #36 RAC Belgium
Ryan Hunter-Reay, #37 IZOD
A.J. Foyt, IV, #41 ABC Supply Co.
John Andretti, #43 Window World
(R)Jay Howard, #66 Tire Kingdom
Sarah Fisher, #67 Dollar General
Alex Tagliani, #77 Bowers & Wilkins
(R)Simona de Silvestro, #78 Team Stargate Worlds
Townsend Bell, #99 Herbalife
Hideki Mutoh, #06 Formula Dream

----Entries currently without drivers.................
A.J. Foyt Racing(1): #16
Rahal-Letterman Racing(1): #17
Dreyer & Reinbold Racing(1): #25
Andretti Autosport(1): #27
Team 3G(1): #98