94th Indianapolis 500

All about Indy Racing League (IRL)

Moderators: Ed, mlittle

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Day 3 Notebook, MO 17 May 2010

Post by mlittle » Wed May 19, 2010 5:29 am

de Ferran/Dragon Racing driver Raphael Matos watches on-track activity Monday before going out to practice during what became a shortened Monday session due to weather

Here's some news and notes from the Brickyard from Monday..................
----Maturing Matos
After a solid 2009 IZOD IndyCar Series campaign that netted Rookie of the Year honors, Raphael Matos expected his sophomore season to start off quickly – to build on the promise he’d shown year after year in open-wheel racing.

“Rafa” had modestly impressive results in 2009, earning eight top-10 finishes, with a best of sixth-place at Milwaukee. For his first year with Luczo Dragon Racing, the Brazilian gave a good account of his potential, and much was expected for Rafa in 2010 when his friend and mentor Gil de Ferran became co-owner of the renamed de Ferran Dragon Motorsports.

All went according to plan at the season opener in Brazil where Matos took a solid fourth-place finish, but over the next four races, the team’s fortunes began to progressively fade. An eighth at St. Pete was followed by a 14th at Barber Motorsports Park, a 20th at Long Beach and 16th at Kansas. As the team unloaded into Indy, the near podium in Brazil just two months earlier was a distant memory.

After ascending up the open-wheel ladder in an effortless manner, the 29-year-old Brazilian has started the Month of May rather perplexed. He’s clearly capable of running at the front and his team has shown its ability to field a competitive car, but when it comes to solving the mystery surrounding their lack of results, Matos admits they are still zeroing in on the answer.

“Everybody here is playing a big part in solving this. I think as long as we have answers for the lack of performance or the lack of results -- we just need to understand why we didn't perform that well and what we can change and try to improve. That's all we can do. We can’t panic. I believe this is temporary.”

The first order of business for Matos and the team is to understand why so many of their events have gotten off to a crawl rather than a flying start.

“We can see in our session times, we can try different things, I can try to improve myself and we only can do certain number of things during the weekend; but there is only so much you can do when you start the weekend off the pace. If we are [outside] the setup window of or if I'm not driving well, you won’t do magic in the race. Obviously, the team and Gil and the engineers, it's just that the flashes of performance that we have, it can look not so big but he can see that we were fourth quickest at Long Beach, we were fast at Barber in warm-ups but in fact very slow in the race.

“When we’re able to find a good balance with the car we can be up there, there's no question about it. [At] Toronto last year, we were quickest in one of the sessions, started third in Long Beach last year – those kind of performances really motivated the team and motivates us and we can see that we have what we need, we just need to put everything together.”

As one of the few full-time single-car teams, Matos was quick to point out that overcoming problems takes longer when you don’t have a teammate.

“You can fix things – but with one-car teams, especially, it’s very difficult to find the answers quickly. That's why I think it's the most difficult part, not having another car to address it so you can say, okay, his setup is different, maybe better there so let’s see if it's better over here. And he's braking deeper than you but you're faster than him here. When you can compare those things, you raise the bar of performance I think. We’re getting there as fast as we can on our own.”

IndyCar racing is an ever-changing game – one where the pace of development can turn a winning car into a backmarker the following year unless a healthy sum of money is committed to R&D. Matos says his de Ferran Dragon Motorsports team has improved their car from 2009 to 2010, but it’s possible their rivals might have found a little bit extra.

“It’s funny, we do have a better understanding of the car but sometimes it doesn’t necessarily translate to performance because there's other pieces that you need on the puzzle. It's a combination of things. It's not only one thing like shocks or the engine. We have improved. This I know. Now we need to catch the other guys. The changes in ownership, management and personnel is likely responsible for some of the team’s slow start. Every good sports team needs time to jell and in a high stakes arena like Indycar racing, it’s an even more critical component when seeking success. With some changes in the engineering department for 2010, Matos says everything is coming together to his liking, but it’s the influence of Gil de Ferran that gives the young Brazilian the greatest cause to be optimistic. Gil, to be honest, I never saw any driver even close to him in terms of knowledge and technical knowledge and the way he picks his engineers, it's amazing. As a driver of his caliber, he has so much knowledge because he really understands it and shares that with me. This is very big for me. Very big. Jay Penske is also very important to my growth. I am lucky to have two owners who are so passionate for me to win.”

With more track time, Matos only expects to get better and to learn more about what he wants from his Dallara-Honda Indycar. “We’re a young team, with one full year of experience, and with a rookie driver, this is the only IndyCar I’ve driven. I don't know what to expect from a different car in terms of reaction and performance. Maybe another team’s car feels different and that’s why they go a little bit faster. I don’t know. This is the only IndyCar I’ve known, but the more I drive, the closer we get, I believe.”

It’s easy to single out Rafa’s lack of results from St. Pete to Kansas, but it’s his growth in one key area that has so far distinguished his rookie campaign from his efforts this year. In the first five races of 2009 Matos finished only twice, crashing out of the other three. In 2010, he’s proud of his perfect finishing record. It hasn’t been by mistake, he says.

“Maturity as an IndyCar driver. That’s the difference from last year to this year. Last year I crashed out a lot in the first part of the championship. I think when I went to Indy I wasn't even in the top-15 in the championship. This year, despite the results aren't that strong, I came to Indy in the top-10, with Dan Wheldon, right next to Tony Kanaan and so on. Big names. So now it is about when you feel you don't have the best car, you still have to bring it home. It's a lot of work for the team to repair and it costs a lot of money, as you know. And you just have to bring it home and score points and go to the next one and try your best to do a better job in the next race. This thing I did not fully see last year. Personally, I'm pushing myself just the way I was pushing last year but with a little bit more of – how do I say this – I am not putting my race in somebody else's hands, that’s what I'm doing.”

As the conversation turned to Indy – a track where Matos qualified an impressive 12th last year – Rafa says he expects things to get tougher once the action resumes.

“I think it will be much more difficult than last year because the field is more brushed up. But I always believe we can be there at the end. We had plenty of speed last year and I hope we can fight for a top-10 finish here and for the rest of the ovals as well. I think we have to shoot for top-10. If we place ourselves in the top-8, top-10, we’ll end up finishing top-5 a lot of times and maybe we'll podium. You never know what's going to happen at the end of a race, so if we can be close, I think we can be in contention. Obviously, we're looking for a first win, for sure, and I think that can happen in the road course, but I find it difficult to see it happen on an oval. But I’ll tell you, an Indy win would be a nice way to win number one!”

----Teammate Travails
......and all this time I never knew Target/Ganassi drivers Scott Dixon and Dario Franchitti were comedians............
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2GAWR9Am5w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkxR11anOJY
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Dixon Fastest in Tuesday Practice

Post by mlittle » Thu May 20, 2010 7:37 am

Dixon set the fastest time of the day early and stayed there throughout the session........

----The Indianapolis Motor Speedway re-opened for business shortly after 1 p.m. May 18, and teams/drivers quickly got down to business after the previous day of precious track time was scrubbed because of persistent rain.

Dialing in race setups was the objective for most teams on a chilly day not conducive to big speed, with the focus turning to qualification simulations the next few days in preparation for the two-stage run May 22 for the PEAK Performance Pole Award presented by AutoZone. With the almost five hours available for the session, a few things began to come into focus -- primarily that the competition is exceptionally close.

• Five different teams were represented in the top five on the speed chart.
• The top 21 drivers were separated by 0.5755 of a second.
• No. 1 (Scott Dixon) and No. 36 (Milka Duno) were separated by 1.197 seconds.
• Drivers pounded out 1,590 laps (of a total for three days of 3,562).

Last year was the closest field in the history of the ‘500’ at 3.0967 seconds. That record might not last long. Dixon, driving the No. 9 Target Chip Ganassi Racing car, posted a quick lap (of 36) of 39.7265 seconds (226.549 mph) on the 2.5-mile oval. Mario Moraes was second quick (225.913 mph) in the No. 32 KV Racing Technology entry. Moraes' day almost came to an early end when the car spun in Turn 1 coming off pit lane.

"The car wasn’t hurt badly," he said. "On (May 19), we are going to begin working on our qualifying settings a little more. I am pleased how today went as the car felt quite good."

Marco Andretti in the No. 26 Team Venom Energy car for Andretti Autosport was next at 225.751 mph. “I think we’re getting there, but it’s still quite early for the Venom car,” said Andretti, who has finished second and third in four starts in the ‘500.’ “I’d say our time today was in a tow but, then again, so were most of the top-10 times. The good thing is that we’ve been checking things off our list, both good and bad. So we’re getting a lot of answers on things in testing and that’s what we’re here to do. We’re also trying to prepare for the warmer weather that’s supposed to be coming.

“We know that as it gets hotter it’s going to be less downforce on the car. We’re trying to find the most mechanical grip as possible now so when balance comes into play we’ll have done the right thing.”

Alex Tagliani, recovering from a bout of bronchitis, was fourth quick (225.394) in the No. 77 FAZZT Race Team entry. Dan Wheldon, cleared to drive after suffering a foot bruise in a practice crash May 16, was fifth (225.378) in the No. 4 National Guard Panther Racing car.

"It actually helped the National Guard Panther Racing team that there wasn’t any track activity (May 17) because it gave the boys an extra day to really take their time and put the No. 4 car back together,” said Wheldon, the runner-up in the 2009 race and ’05 champion. “They did a great job working on it the last couple days. They rolled it out at the start of the day and I think my fourth lap we were quickest we’ve been all month and I was (third on the speed chart).

“We have a lot of momentum on the team and I’m not at all surprised we were able to come out of the gate so quickly.”

The checkered flag flew eight minutes early after the No. 8 PDVSA KV Racing Technology car of E.J. Viso made contact with the SAFER Barrier at the exit of Turn 1. He was transported to Methodist Hospital for further evaluation.

Session Times & Speeds, TU 18 May 2010.............
1. (9) Scott Dixon, Dallara-Honda, 39.7265 (226.549)
2. (32) Mario Moraes, Dallara-Honda, 39.8384 (225.913)
3. (26) Marco Andretti, Dallara-Honda, 39.8669 (225.751)
4. (77) Alex Tagliani, Dallara-Honda, 39.9301 (225.394)
5. (4) Dan Wheldon, Dallara-Honda, 39.9329 (225.378)
6. (11) Tony Kanaan, Dallara-Honda, 39.9696 (225.171)
7. (10) Dario Franchitti, Dallara-Honda, 40.0068 (224.962)
8. (3) Helio Castroneves, Dallara-Honda, 40.0297 (224.833)
9. (12) Will Power, Dallara-Honda, 40.0948 (224.468)
10. [78] Simona de Silvestro, Dallara-Honda, 40.1470 (224.176)
11. (15) Paul Tracy, Dallara-Honda, 40.1750 (224.020)
12. (41) A.J. Foyt IV, Dallara-Honda, 40.2011 (223.874)
13. (43) John Andretti, Dallara-Honda, 40.2189 (223.775)
14. (06) Hideki Mutoh, Dallara-Honda, 40.2260 (223.736)
15. (66) Jay Howard, Dallara-Honda, 40.2340 (223.691)
16. (14) Vitor Meira, Dallara-Honda, 40.2388 (223.665)
17. (37T) Ryan Hunter-Reay, Dallara-Honda, 40.2442 (223.635)
18. (22) Justin Wilson, Dallara-Honda, 40.2502 (223.601)
19. (6) Ryan Briscoe, Dallara-Honda, 40.2784 (223.445)
20. (30) Graham Rahal, Dallara-Honda, 40.2812 (223.429)
21. (20) Ed Carpenter, Dallara-Honda, 40.2958 (223.348)
22. (36) Bertrand Baguette, Dallara-Honda, 40.3020 (223.314)
23. (99) Townsend Bell, Dallara-Honda, 40.3763 (222.903)
24. (21) Davey Hamilton, Dallara-Honda, 40.3891 (222.832)
25. (2) Raphael Matos, Dallara-Honda, 40.4018 (222.762)
26. (5) Takuma Sato, Dallara-Honda, 40.4170 (222.679)
27. [8] E.J. Viso, Dallara-Honda, 40.4293 (222.611)
28. (23) Tomas Scheckter, Dallara-Honda, 40.4566 (222.461)
29. (67) Sarah Fisher, Dallara-Honda, 40.4959 (222.245)
30. (7) Danica Patrick, Dallara-Honda, 40.5400 (222.003)
31. (25) Ana Beatriz, Dallara-Honda, 40.5459 (221.971)
32. (19) Alex Lloyd, Dallara-Honda, 40.5548 (221.922)
33. (24) Mike Conway, Dallara-Honda, 40.5673 (221.854)
34. (34) Mario Romancini, Dallara-Honda, 40.6112 (221.614)
35. (29) Sebastian Saavedra, Dallara-Honda, 40.7338 (220.947)
36. [18] Milka Duno, Dallara-Honda, 40.8462 (220.339)

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Dixon Tops in Wednesday Practice

Post by mlittle » Fri May 21, 2010 2:24 pm

Like Tuesday, Dixon set the fastest time of the day and early and held onto the top spot the entire session

----FAZZT Race Team general manager Rob Edwards and chief engineer Allen McDonald prescribed a practice regimen for the week based on their experience and the premise that if your car is fast in qualifying then it will be good in the race.

So far in pre-qualifications practice sessions for the Indianapolis 500, their driver, Alex Tagliani, has been right with the program.

Tagliani recorded the third-quickest lap May 19 on the 2.5-mile oval as 35 drivers posted 2,282 laps (Tony Kanaan led the way with 134) in a full six-hour session without incident. E.J. Viso, whose No. 8 PDVSA KV Racing Technology car made contact with the Turn 1 SAFER Barrier on May 18, was cleared to drive but he didn’t make it onto the track in his backup car.

"What is there to say besides the car is very, very fast,” said Tagliani, his voice still raspy from a bout of bronchitis. “We're trying little things here and there but the car is very good so we don't want to mess around with it too much. There will be plenty of opportunity to run with full tanks and right now the car reacts well to the changes in downforce so we're going to stay focused on qualifying.

“I'm just following the plans of the boys in the front and they seem to be doing a great job so far I'm just a follower at the moment."

He followed Target Chip Ganassi Racing’s Scott Dixon, who topped the speed chart for the second consecutive day at 39.6526 seconds (226.971 mph), and Team Penske’s Ryan Briscoe (39.7118 seconds; 226.633 mph). Twenty-five drivers were within 0.5968 of a second of the pacesetter, and seven different teams and seven different countries were represented in the top 10.

“I think we are right where we need to be,” said Dixon, the 2008 race winner. “The 9 team logged a lot of laps [68] and the activity level seemed to be picking up quite a bit on the track.”

Hideki Mutoh, driving the No. 06 Formula Dream/Panasonic car for Newman/Haas Racing, jumped to fourth (225.926 mph) and Dario Franchitti in the No. 10 Target Chip Ganassi Racing car (225.850) was fifth on his 37th birthday. IZOD IndyCar Series points leader Will Power, driving the No. 12 Verizon Team Penske car, was sixth (225.703), followed by Andretti Autosport’s Kanaan in the No. 11 Team 7-Eleven car (225.660) and defending 500 Mile Race champion Helio Castroneves (225.563) in the No. 3 Team Penske entry.

“I was able to run behind four cars and my car was drafting well and I could catch people and that is a strong point for Race Day,” Mutoh said. “After 5 p.m. we ran with our qualifying setup. We didn’t trim the car out all the way but the lap times weren’t that bad. I think the Formula Dream /Panasonic team is fast both ways.”

Townsend Bell, who finished fourth last year, cracked the top 10 at 224.743 mph in the No. 99 Herbalife Chip Ganassi/Sam Schmidt Motorsports car, while Mario Moraes was 10th (224.740) in the No. 32 KV Racing Technology car.

The two-stage Pole Day qualifications are scheduled for May 22. Twenty-four positions will be set, with the remaining nine filled in the next day. The new format includes cars making four-lap qualifying attempts from 11 a.m.-4 p.m. At 4:30, the top nine cars by their four-lap cumulative time will return to run for the PEAK Performance Pole Award presented by AutoZone and filling the front three rows.

“Friday, the weather still looks questionable so we're still working towards having the car where we want it to be by Thursday night for qualifying on Saturday in case we can't run on Friday due to weather,” FAZZT Race Team’s Edwards said. “We've been working on having a good, consistent car and we believe that will be good for us in the race as well."

Others focused on race setup, with multi-car teams able to divvy the workload. “We were able to get quite a lot of work done on race setup-related items,” said Briscoe, who has started on the front row the past two years. “The Team Penske cars were able to take advantage of being a three-car operation and we worked together on track today helping one another find speed and comfort.”

Others picking up speed as qualifications approach include Graham Rahal (11th at 224.650 mph) in the No. 30 The Quick Trim/Rahal Letterman Racing Special, Ed Carpenter (13th at 224.537) in the No 20 Panther/Vision Fuzzy’s Vodka entry, Davey Hamilton (14th at 224.460) in the No. 21 HP de Ferran Dragon Racing car, and race rookies Ana Beatriz (17th at 224.263) in the No. 25 Ipiranga/Dreyer & Reinbold Racing car and Takuma Sato (18th at 224.255) in the No. 5 Lotus-KV Racing Technology entry. “We worked on out full race setup, which was really good for me,” Hamilton said. “Today was my first time in traffic in a year. This isn't easy.”

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Kanaan fastest in Thursday Practice

Post by mlittle » Fri May 21, 2010 2:28 pm

Although, based on times so far this week, Target's Scott Dixon may be favored for pole on Saturday, Andretti Autosport's Tony Kanaan has to also be considered a viable challenger for the top spot as well.......

-----Sunshine and Bruno Junqueira both made their first appearance of the week at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Both were brief. Junqueira, who’s waiting for the proverbial check in the mail so he can jump in the No. 33 FAZZT Race Team car and attempt to qualify May 22-23 for the Indianapolis 500, got some seat time – 14 laps to be precise – on the 2.5-mile oval to shake down the No. 29 William Rast/Bryan Herta Autosport car for rookie Sebastian Saavedra. It was at the request of team co-owner Bryan Herta (“After Mario Andretti, I would put Bruno as the most insightful driver at the Speedway we’ve ever worked with,” Newman/Haas Racing general manager Brian Liles said).

He was quickly up to speed, topping 222 mph on a day shortened 55 minutes by light rain. The weather forecast isn’t conducive to running May 21, so Fast Friday was moved up a day. Thirty-seven driver/car combinations recorded 1,445 laps without incident.

Tony Kanaan topped the speed chart at 39.6870 seconds (226.775 mph) in the No. 11 Team 7-Eleven car for Andretti Autosport. Paul Tracy, driving the No. 15 GEICO-KV Racing Technology car, bolted to second quick (226.322 mph) and Hideki Mutoh was in the top five for the second consecutive day (226.230) in the No. 06 Formula Dream/Panasonic car for Newman/Haas Racing.

“The 7-Eleven car felt good today and I think although my speed was in a draft you have to have a good car to be able to do those kind of lap times,” Kanaan said. “We worked on qualifying setup today – a lot of people did as well – so we’ll see. It’s going to be an interesting Saturday if it rains tomorrow. It’s a very tight field so I’m happy overall.”

Twenty-seven cars were within 0.5796 of a second of the top. Eight different teams were represented in the top 10.

Marco Andretti (226.108) and 2005 race winner Dan Wheldon (226.106) also were in the top five. Helio Castroneves (226.080), the 2009 pole sitter, was followed by Team Penske teammate Will Power (226.836), Alex Tagliani (225.609), Graham Rahal (225.559) and Davey Hamilton (225.431).

Rahal crossed 225 mph for the first time this month in the No. 30 Quick Trim/Rahal Letterman Racing Special. “I really don’t think we are too far off with this car,” said Rahal, who started on the inside of the front row in the 2009 race. “I’ve had cars here that have been fast in the last couple of years, but never one that is as fast as this one that feels as good as this car does. I am very excited about our chances as qualifying and the race get nearer.”

Ed Carpenter (11th at 225.283) was followed by fastest rookie Takuma Sato (225.047). Others of note include rookie Simona De Silvestro (15th at 224.838), John Andretti (19th at 224.182) and rookie Mario Romancini (25th at 223.644).

"We were able to work a bit more on the race setup, and are definitely improving the car," Romancini said. "On the second part of the session we tried to do some qualifying simulations, but the rain came before we could do too much. We still have a few more things that we would like to try on the car tomorrow, but will have to wait and see what the weather does. If we can't get the track time that we need, then we will have to do our best to try everything during the two our practice session before qualifications on Saturday."

1. (11) Tony Kanaan, Dallara-Honda, 39.6870 (226.775)
2. (15) Paul Tracy, Dallara-Honda, 39.7663 (226.322)
3. (06) Hideki Mutoh, Dallara-Honda, 39.7826 (226.230)
4. (26) Marco Andretti, Dallara-Honda, 39.8039 (226.108)
5. (4) Dan Wheldon, Dallara-Honda, 39.8043 (226.106)
6. (3) Helio Castroneves, Dallara-Honda, 39.8089 (226.080)
7. (12) Will Power, Dallara-Honda, 39.8520 (225.836)
8. (77) Alex Tagliani, Dallara-Honda, 39.8920 (225.609)
9. (30) Graham Rahal, Dallara-Honda, 39.9009 (225.559)
10. (21) Davey Hamilton, Dallara-Honda, 39.9236 (225.431)
11. (20) Ed Carpenter, Dallara-Honda, 39.9497 (225.283)
12. (5) Takuma Sato, Dallara-Honda, 39.9916 (225.047)
13. (9) Scott Dixon, Dallara-Honda, 39.9937 (225.035)
14. (24) Mike Conway, Dallara-Honda, 40.0225 (224.874)
15. [78] Simona de Silvestro, Dallara-Honda, 40.0288 (224.838)
16. (6) Ryan Briscoe, Dallara-Honda, 40.0336 (224.811)
17. (32) Mario Moraes, Dallara-Honda, 40.1222 (224.315)
18. (2) Raphael Matos, Dallara-Honda, 40.1404 (224.213)
19. (43) John Andretti, Dallara-Honda, 40.1459 (224.182)
20. (10T) Dario Franchitti, Dallara-Honda, 40.1487 (224.167)
21. (66) Jay Howard, Dallara-Honda, 40.1785 (224.000)
22. (41) AJ Foyt IV, Dallara-Honda, 40.2064 (223.845)
23. (37) Ryan Hunter-Reay, Dallara-Honda, 40.2199 (223.770)
24. (14) Vitor Meira, Dallara-Honda, 40.2411 (223.652)
25. (34) Mario Romancini, Dallara-Honda, 40.2425 (223.644)
26. (25) Ana Beatriz, Dallara-Honda, 40.2646 (223.521)
27. (36) Bertrand Baguette, Dallara-Honda, 40.2666 (223.510)
28. (7) Danica Patrick, Dallara-Honda, 40.3340 (223.137)
29. (99) Townsend Bell, Dallara-Honda, 40.3799 (222.883)
30. (19) Alex Lloyd, Dallara-Honda, 40.4279 (222.619)
31. (22) Justin Wilson, Dallara-Honda, 40.4587 (222.449)
32. (29) Bruno Junqueira, Dallara-Honda, 40.4899 (222.278)
33. (67) Sarah Fisher, Dallara-Honda, 40.4906 (222.274)
34. (23) Tomas Scheckter, Dallara-Honda, 40.5162 (222.133)
35. (29) Sebastian Saavedra, Dallara-Honda, 40.5681 (221.849)
36. [8] EJ Viso, Dallara-Honda, 40.7947 (220.617)
37. [18] Milka Duno, Dallara-Honda, 41.1066 (218.943)

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Spiderman Fastest on Fast Friday

Post by mlittle » Sat May 22, 2010 1:44 pm

----Fast Friday at Indianapolis Motor Speedway was hampered by intermittent rain with Team Penske's Helio Castroneves holding onto the fastest speed of the day at the 6 PM EDT close. Castroneves mark (226.558 mph) was only slightly faster than the second-fastest practice lap recorded by his Penske teammate Will Power (226.429 mph).

Alex Tagliani of FAZZT Racing broke into the 226 range at 226.153 mph for the third-fastest of the day, while Ganassi Racing's Scott Dixon rolled to a 225.828 mph circuit at the big oval for fourth. KV Racing Technology's Mario Moraes picked up fifth on a lap of 225.806 mph with Andretti Autosports' Tony Kanaan in tow for sixth-quick at 225.617 mph. Team Penske's Ryan Briscoe was classified seventh at 225.300 mph, chased by Marco Andretti with a fastest lap of 225.296 mph for eighth.

Dixon's teammate Dario Franchitti was ninth (225.281 mph) and Townsend Bell ran to tenth in the session with a best of 225.177 mph. All of the top-10 except for Bell are season-long competitiors in the IndyCar Series. Like Monaco is the crown jewel for Formula One, the Indianapolis 500 is the same for the IndyCar, except that for the Brickyard event, there are drivers with one-off rides, including rookies.

Franchitti summed up the strategy for most of the competitors on Friday saying, "We're going into qualifying simulation. We're going to have to do it a good number of times today and again tomorrow...upwards of three, four times probably. We're going to earn our money here, for sure."

The field for the May 30 race continued to demonstrate remarkable parity with less than one second covering the entirety of the times posted by all 36 cars that made laps on Friday. Ana Beatriz's speed of 221.229 trailed the field, but still left everyone within only slightly over five miles per hour difference from top to bottom of the timing and scoring pylon.

Former Formula 1 driver Takumo Sato (Lotus-KV Racing Technology) offered up an explanation of the difficulty involved in separating from the others. "Many people think Indianapolis is a simple track, just four 90-degree left hand turns. But at speeds up to 230 mph, each turn is unique with many subtle differences that make them completely different." Sato's best effort (224.429 mph) on Friday left him near the middle of the pack, at twenty-second of thirty-six cars.

Full attention now shifts to the novel new qualifying procedure in effect for the 2010 Greatest Spectacle in Racing. Traditional four-lap qualifying commences at 11 AM EDT on Saturday for 24 positions in the field, and continues for five hours. After a thirty minute break, to establish a new qualifying order, there follows at 4:30 PM EDT a ninety-minute "Pole Shootout" for the best seat in the house come race day.

Aside from the bragging rights assigned to the Indianapolis 500 pole-sitter, there are several winning practical considerations in play. Chief among them is the $175,000 award that goes to the fastest driver to emerge from the nine-car shootout that occupies the final ninety minutes of qualifying on Saturday. There are also fifteen IndyCar Series points on the table for whomever claims the inside position on the front row, as well as the assurance of a clear track ahead when the green flag waves to signify the start for the 33-car field.

Temperatures hovered in the low to mid-seventies for the duration of Friday's practice session, day seven in the run-up to the Memorial Day race. Clouds and light showers moved over and past the Speedway continually Friday, though a predicted all-day door-closer never materialized. Qualifying positions for Pole Day were selected after the close of on-track activities. John Andretti drew the opening shot at making a qualifying attempt of four 2.5 mile laps around the track. Andretti was followed in the order by A.J. Foyt IV, Paul Tracy and Alex Tagliani.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Helio Dominates Pole Day at Indy

Post by mlittle » Mon May 24, 2010 6:05 am

Castroneves posted a ridiculous lap of 227.319 on his first lap during his second run. He's now atop the top-24.

----Helio Castroneves continued his domination of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, taking pole position with a dramatic sequence of laps to secure his second consecutive pole for the 500. His Team Penske teammate, Will Power, will start a surprising second, followed by 2007 Indy 500 winner Dario Franchitti.

Castroneves held a solid command over the new two-stage qualifying session. With the fastest 24 cars making the cut on Saturday, the top-9 moved onto a shootout format from 4:30-6 p.m. The Dancing with the Stars winner led the first round of qualifying, earning the first pit spot as a result.

Moving into the top-9, Castroneves drew first, setting laps of 227.961, 228.213, 228.187 and 227.521 for an average of 227.970. The bubbly Brazilian then watched as the other eight cars took multiple shots at his time, but none came close enough to unseat the 3-time Indy winner.

"Incredible. I'm speechless right now because let me tell you one thing. Sitting in that car for an hour and a half was not easy at all. I was like, are we going or are we not going, because I can't handle that much pressure! I think a 1-2 Penske [front row] is great. It's too bad Ryan [Briscoe] can't join us. This team, the number 3 team; everyone is incredible."

Castroneves' lap of 228.213 sent the crowd into a loud cheer. From the cockpit, he says he was just focused on completing the hair-raising run. "I honestly wasn't looking at the time. The car was moving so much. I was saying, please just let me finish this run. We have the best pit spot, the best [starting position] and it's still a long way to go."

Asked what it was like posting qualifying laps above 228 mph, Castroneves likened it to a religious experience. "I was talking with Dario after [qualifying] and said I saw Jesus three times during my run. He said, 'Oh yeah, we'll I spoke to him on my run!"'

Will Power took multiple shots at Castroneves, ending up second with an average of 227.578. "I wanted to go [back] out, and they said, it's up to you, but if you crash, you'll start 25th...but it's up to you." Penske Racing president Tim Cindric was proud of Power's steely pole day performance.

"Will proved today he's one of those guys that is going to evolve into an Helio type here in terms of being able to put him in those pressure situations." Ryan Briscoe took fourth for Penske with an average of 226.554.

Dario Franchitti went from being second to teammate Scott Dixon in practice to fielding the team's best chances in the run for the pole. The Scot placed third with an average of 226.990. "Chip was giving me a pep talk, and we were going for it, but we just didn't have it today." While his bid for the pole didn't pan out, the unique qualifying format seemed to tickle Franchitti. "I've never seen anything like that in my life! To do multiple [top-9] runs was stressful, but the fans seemed to like it. That's all that matters."

Dixon was forced to settle for sixth with a 226.233. "It was tough. I lost count of how many attempts I did. The car, we've been struggling with all day. It was tough trying to milk more speed out of the car."

Alex Tagliani continued his dream run at the 500 with his new FAZZT Racing Team, taking fifth with an average of 226.390. "For us, just to have the opportunity to battle with Ganassi and Penske, it's quite an honor. I'm proud of the team, what they've been doing this week."

Graham Rahal followed Tagliani's story line by taking seventh with a 225.519, just weeks after deciding to run the race. Rahal oversteered and understeered his way in the first qualifying session to earn a top-9 birth. Making just one run in the top-9 session, Rahal banked a solid 4-lap attempt as the team chose to save their equipment and sit out the rest of the session. “It feels good,” said Rahal. “It’s rewarding to put in a performance like the one our team did today, and for everyone to be recognized for it. Starting in the top-9 is just what we needed, and it speaks volumes about what the Rahal Letterman team is capable of.”

Panther Racing's Ed Carpenter took eighth with a 224.507 and Hideki Mutoh secured the final top-9 position with an average speed of 223.487. "It's my career-best start," said Carpenter. "You're definitely in the lead pack running with the guys you need to race with for the win." Panther Racing’s full-time driver, Dan Wheldon, could do no better than 18th.

Mutoh reckoned his team reached too far in the top-9. "I think we tried too big. We were looking for like a top five. I mean, I just couldn't put four laps together. I mean, I had one good lap, and [the] next lap getting slower and slower."

Outside of the top-9, teams encountered varying levels of success and frustration. Townsend Bell came within a tenth of a second of making the top-9, and the performance by last year's fourth-place finisher served as a reminder of what he's capable of.

Justin Wilson was the surprise fastest driver from Dreyer & Reinbold's 4-car stable, taking 11th, while teammate Mike Conway earned 15th. DRR's Tomas Scheckter overcame a scary first run which he aborted, later returning to post the 20th fastest time. Brazilian rookie Ana Beatriz survived being bumped from the field to make her way back in with a run to 21st, just behind Scheckter.

de Ferran Dragon teammates Raphael Matos and Davey Hamilton looked strong on their runs to 12th and 14th, with Rafa just climbing above the 225 mph mark. The veteran Idahoan -- not someone you'd naturally associate as a good fit with a Brazilian teammate and co-owner -- has made a big impact on the program.

HVM's Simona De Silvestro ended the day in 22nd, uncomfortably close to the bottom of the top-24. One team who endured pole day -- and that's putting it kindly -- was Andretti Autosport. The team looked more like its former self, Andretti-Green Racing, repeating their poor showing from 2009's pole day. While three of their five cars made the field, the highest-placed entry was a rather blunt Marco Andretti in 16th.

“That was a pathetic first attempt, especially if you're trying to get into the top nine, but it' s hard to wave off a mid-224 [mph lap]. But it's always good to bank [a qualification attempt]. We're definitely going out again later. I was really loose the whole run, really scrubbing the tires.”

Danica Patrick limped in with a run to 23rd, and Ryan Hunter-Reay struggled until bumping his way back in with a speed good enough for 17th. A crash by team leader Tony Kanaan meant the 2004 series champions would have to qualify on Sunday. He’ll be joined by teammate John Andretti who wasn’t able to muster enough speed to make the top-24.

KV Racing’s week of gut punches continued as Takuma Sato crashed spectacularly in morning practice, Mario Moraes crashed while on a run that could have landed him in the top-9, and Paul Tracy just never found the speed to play in the top-24.

While Moraes made it in the field as the last qualifier just as the gun went off at 4 p.m., E.J. Viso was the star of the 4-car team today. coming back from a heavy crash on Tuesday, the popular Venezuelan stuck his T-car in 19th with a committed drive. After shaking his confidence on Tuesday, Viso looked like his normal self again.

The biggest surprise of the day was the least known and most unheralded driver in the paddock. Fans would probably know the names of an Indy Lights driver before they would Conquest Racing's rookie driver, Belgium’s Bertrand Baguette (3B). 3B's 224.189 was good enough for 24th -- ahead of big names like Paul Tracy, two-time second-place finisher Vitor Meira, and A.J. Foyt IV.

With Danica Patrick's outburst after her qualifying run to 23rd -- one where she blamed her team, which led to some of her crew members refusing to pose with her in the traditional qualifying photo -- 3B was happy to make the top-24, but had hoped to place higher.

“I was thinking we could go a lot quicker, but the track is so slick. This morning, we were doing 225, and now we are having difficulty with 224. The car was pushing a lot more, and I think we just went out at the wrong time. I’d like to do it again because I don’t feel comfortable with my position right now."

PROVISIONAL GRID, 94th INDIANAPOLIS 500
1. (3) Helio Castroneves, Dallara-Honda, 2:37.9154 (227.970)
2. (12) Will Power, Dallara-Honda, 2:38.1876 (227.578)
3. (10T) Dario Franchitti, Dallara-Honda, 2:38.5970 (226.990)
4. (6) Ryan Briscoe, Dallara-Honda, 2:38.9027 (226.554)
5. (77) Alex Tagliani, Dallara-Honda, 2:39.0178 (226.390)
6. (9) Scott Dixon, Dallara-Honda, 2:39.1277 (226.233)
7. (30) Graham Rahal, Dallara-Honda, 2:39.6319 (225.519)
8. (20) Ed Carpenter, Dallara-Honda, 2:40.3514 (224.507)
9. (06) Hideki Mutoh, Dallara-Honda, 2:41.0831 (223.487)
10. (99) Townsend Bell, Dallara-Honda, 2:39.9313 (225.097)
11. (22) Justin Wilson, Dallara-Honda, 2:39.9647 (225.050)
12. (2) Raphael Matos, Dallara-Honda, 2:39.9798 (225.028)
13. (32) Mario Moraes, Dallara-Honda, 2:40.0794 (224.888)
14. (21) Davey Hamilton, Dallara-Honda, 2:40.1053 (224.852)
15. (24) Mike Conway, Dallara-Honda, 2:40.2969 (224.583)
16. (26) Marco Andretti, Dallara-Honda, 2:40.3030 (224.575)
17. (37) Ryan Hunter-Reay, Dallara-Honda, 2:40.3227 (224.547)
18. (4) Dan Wheldon, Dallara-Honda, 2:40.3821 (224.464)
19. (8T) E.J. Viso, Dallara-Honda, 2:40.4424 (224.380)
20. (23) Tomas Scheckter, Dallara-Honda, 2:40.5270 (224.261)
21. (25) Ana Beatriz, Dallara-Honda, 2:40.5402 (224.243)
22. [78] Simona de Silvestro, Dallara-Honda, 2:40.5511 (224.228)
23. (7) Danica Patrick, Dallara-Honda, 2:40.5584 (224.217)
24.(36) Bertrand Baguette, Dallara-Honda, 2:40.5785 (224.189)
note......positions 1-9 set during Firestone Pole Shootout; positions 10-24 provisionally set

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Mon May 24, 2010 6:11 am

------SATURDAY EVENT SUMMARY

--11:01 A.J. Foyt IV rolls out to make the first qualifying attempt. He was 21st in practice this morning. 224.112 on his first lap. If the weather improves, that might not be good enough. 224.041 second lap, 223.767 and 223.798 . 223.929 average.

--11:08 Paul Tracy pulls away and comes back in. Gearbox issues.

--11:12 Ana Beatriz is out. 223.73 average.

--11:13 Will Power is rolling. Fastest in warm-up at 227.646 with the help of a tow. First lap 226.003. 226.081 lap two. 226.031 lap three and 225.861 lap four. 226.036 average. P1.

--11:17 Alex Tagliani is ready for a continuation of his strong month. 226.640 lap one. 226.391 lap two. 226.322 lap three and 226.214 final lap, for a 226.419 average. P1.

--11:24 Marco Andretti posts a 224.577 lap one. 224.587 lap two. 224.650 lap three and 224.485 lap four. 224.575 average. Good enough for third.

--11:25 Order so far is: Tagliani, Power, Andretti, Foyt and Beatriz.

--11:26 Helio Castroneves is warming up. 226.563 lap one. Car looks like it is on rails. 226.396 lap two. 226.309 lap three. Still solid. The sun is beginning to break over Turn 2. 226.285 lap four. 226.388 average. P1.

--11:30 Scott Dixon is out. I'm not sure we've seen Dixie's full share of speed so far. We'll know in a moment. 225.776 lap one. That's a surprise. Nearly a mile-per-hour down from Helio's first lap. 225.826 lap two. 225.793 lap three. Lots of room on corner exit. Look for his team to free the car up later in the day. 225.785 lap four. 225,797 average, P4!

--11:34 Graham Rahal is out and has a serious corner exit push that turns to loose. 225.708 lap one, 225.744 lap two, 225.632 lap three and 225.383 on lap four is good enough for P5 with an average of 225.679.

--11:39 Townsend Bell's turn to qualify. 224,554 lap one. 224.317 lap two. 224.306 lap three and 224.276 lap four. 224.371 average. That could be close to what makes it in the top-24.

--11:43 Davey Hamilton turns a 224.954 on lap one -- very impressive. 224.856 lap two. 224.717 lap three. 224.881 lap four for an average of 224.371. P7.

--11:49 Jay Howard starts his first timed lap. 224.420 -- very nice. Much better than how his 2008 Pole day effort went. 223.994 lap two. Big drop. 223.696 lap three. 223.747 lap four. 223.964 average. Thought it might have been a touch above 224. That would have been safer.

--11:53 Tomas Scheckter is out. either his car is too low or they are starting with very low tire pressures -- an excess of sparks. 222.275 lap one. Waved off.

--11:58 Mike Conway goes 224.684 on lap one. 224.636 lap two. He continues to impress here. 224.581 lap three and 224.433 lap four. 224.62 average, P7.

--12:02 Ryan Hunter-Reay's struggles this month continue with a 223.850 first lap followed by a 223.741, 223.694 and 226.641 for a 223.731 average. P13 and last.

--12:06 Mario Romancini goes 223.318, 223.412, 223.412 and 223.223 for 223.341, P14 and last.

--12:11 Hideki Mutoh is on his run. 225.324 another 225.324, 225.529 lap three and 225.514 for an average of 225.423, P5.

--12:16 Milka Duno runs 223.502, 222.561, 222.025 and 221.554 to go last with an average of 222.410.

--12:22 Dario Franchitti takes P3 with laps of 226.153, 226.323, 226.084 and 226.063, for an average of 226.156.

--12:26 Dan Wheldon posts a 225.047, 224.667, 224.314 and 223.831. significant drop off each lap. P11.

--12:27 Ed Carpenter has been impressive so far -- and runs a 224.415 warm-up lap. the sun is out, but clouds are nearby. Lap one is 225.346, lap two is 225.537 as he uses all the track on corner exit, lap three is 225.445 and lap four is slower at 224.343. Still good enough for P8.

--12:32 Justin Wilson is making his run. The Dreyer & Reinbold team has seen two cars run poorly (Beatriz and Scheckter) and one has been fast (Conway). Quick warm-up of 224.699. Lap one is 224.853. 225.029 lap two. Bad a#% turns a 225.134 on lap three -- a rare improvement on each lap, rather than a decrease each lap. Lap four is225.183 for a 225.050 average, P9.

--12:36 Danica Patrick is on the Speedway. Lap one is a solid 224.873. Where has this speed been all month? 224.655 lap two. 223.920 lap three. Not a good sign. If she says at this speed for lap four, the run will be safe inside the top-24. another big drop might not make it. 223.428 on lap four. 224.217 average, P15 out of 21 qualifiers.

--12:40 Raphael Matos now warming up. Fast like his teammate Davey Hamilton -- 225.337 lap one. 224.916 lap two, 225.047 lap three and 224.815 lap four. 4-lap average of- 225.028, P10.

--12:45 Sebastian Saavedra is making his first attempt to qualify for the Indy 500. 222.578 for lap one won't make the team rest easily. 222.472 lap two is dipping close to the slowest speeds of the day. 222.341 lap three. the team lets the run stand. Lap four is 222.416. 222.452 average, P22. Next to last.

--12:50 Mario Moraes begins his run. This could be good if his form during the past week is anything to go on. 224.565 lap one won't make him happy. Lap two is 224.394. 224.449 lap three and wild oversteer in turn 2 end his run, breaking the rear wing off the car. Moraes is fine, and his car can be quickly fixed.

--1:05 Simona De Silvestro becomes the fastest female in the field, 16th fastest, with laps of 224.389, 224.277, 224.075 and 224.171, for an average of 224.228.

--1:10 Ryan Briscoe finds serious speed in the heat of the day, posting laps of 225.483, 225.294, 225.24 and 225.443 for P8. Average speed of 225.365.

--1:12 Hard hit for Tony Kanaan on his first flying lap. Car spun on corner exit of turn 1. Very sudden. Gets out of the car under his own power. Damage to the right side and rear of the car. Kanaan is reported as being unharmed.

--1:25 Alex Lloyd runs a 224.204, 224.338, followed by a 221.666. Team owner Dale Coyne waves off the run.

--1:29 E.J. Viso is on the Speedway. Lots of spark from the bottom of the car. 221.050. warm-up lap. Viso coasts into the pits with no power.

--1:35 Bertrand Baguette sets an impressive 223.999 on his first lap. 224,219 on lap two, 224.243 lap three, and 224.297 on lap four. A very surprising performance from the least known driver in the field. 224.189 average, P19.

--1:40 Vitor Meira runs slower than expected out of the gate with a first lap of 223.606. Lap two 224.260 lap two -- more of what I expected. 224.167 lap three and 224.100 on lap four. 224.033, P20. A.J. Foyt won't be pleased.

--1:45 Paul Tracy is another unhappy customer. 223.998, 223.921, 223.856 and 223.651 for an average of 223.356, P23.

--1:50 With no more car attempting to qualify at the moment, open practice will begin. Unless the clouds come back, Tagliani's P1 might be safe, along with most of the top-9 for the Pole Shootout.

--1:51 Cars bumped from Saturday's top-24 are: Ryan Hunter-Reay, Mario Romancini, Sebastian Saavedra and Milka Duno.

--2:34 Helio Castroneves pull out and attempts to re-qualify. Bam! Lap one is a 227.319, lap two 226.956, lap three 226.579 and lap four is 226.245, P1, average 226.774. Monster laps with the benefit of a touch of cloud cover.

--2:40 Ryan Hunter-Reay looks to bump himself back in the top-24. Lap one is a 225.043, plenty fast. Lap two is a 224.649. 224,389 on lap three and lap four is a 224.110. 224.547, good enough for P15. Ana Beatriz is now P25. Paul Tracy is on the bubble.

--2:51 Ernesto Jose Viso bumps his teammate, Paul Tracy, from the top-24 with an average speed of 224.380 from laps of 224.411, 224.712, 224.614 and 223.784. P16. Very impressive.

--3:24 John Andretti is next up to qualify.223.656 lap one. 223.541 lap two. This won't do it. A.J. Foyt IV looks same on the bubble. 223.704 lap three. Andretti waves off the run.

--3:30 225.542 for Townsend Bell on his first lap. 224.717 on lap two. 225.317 on lap three and 224.813. 225.097 average for Bell, just a tenth shy of making the top-9.

--3:33 Alex Lloyd sets a 223.260 on lap one -- not enough. 223.459 lap two. He'll need a 223.9 average to make the field. 223.457 lap three. 223.179 lap four. No luck.

--3:37 Will Power is rolling the dice, pulled his time and is now trying to bump his teammate, Helio Castroneves, from the top spot. Great stuff. 226.362 lap one. His warm-up lap was slow, so he could build speed on each lap. Let's see. 226.399. Looks like he's destined for P3. 226.420 lap three. 226.466 final lap, good enough for P2 with an average of 226.394, beating Alex Tagliani's 226.392. that was close.

--3:42 Mario Romancini is trying to get back into the top-24. His teammate, Bertrand Baguette, was plenty fast. 221.692 on lap one. Not even close. Waved off by the team.

--3:44 Ana Beatriz is on course. 224.749 lap one. Big improvement. 224.300 lap two. 224.112 lap three and 223.812. Good enough for a 224.243 average and 19th place. Row 7 is comprised of Bia, Simona and Danica.

--3:49 Paul Tracy is on the course. 223.295 first lap. 223.177 lap two. He'll have to wait for Sunday.

--3:53 Tomas Scheckter is flying compared to his earlier attempt. Lap one is 224.463, lap two is 224.226, lap three is 224.248 and lap four is 224.109. Jay Howard is bumped while Tomas takes 19th with a 224.261 average.

--3:58. 223.949 on lap one for Jay Howard. He waves off.

--3:59 Mario Moraes rolls out. the final car to try and make the top-24. His speed was good enough earlier, but his crash forced quick repairs and a mad dash to made the qualifying line.

--4:00 The qualifying gun goes off. No more attempts after Moraes. 224.808 on his first lap -- good enough to make the top-24. 224.711 lap two. 225.059 lap three. Moraes is on it. 224.975. 224.888 average is good enough for 13th.

--4:15 the top-9 will start shortly. The first three rows will be different by 6 p.m., but rows four through eight are set for now, but they are not guaranteed a starting place -- they can be bumped tomorrow.

--4:26 Firestone is reporting the ambient temperature is 83 degrees, track temperature is 110 degrees, and an 11 mph wind is present.

--4:34 Helio is warming up. I'm expecting fireworks. 227.961! 228.213! 228.187. Remarkable. 227.521. Average of 227.970. Will Power might be the only driver to even come close, but I can't see how this is topped.

--4:36 Hideki Mutoh posts a 226.555 on his first lap. 225.746 lap two. 223.752 on lap three. 218.094. Big lifts from Mutoh.

--4:39 Scott Dixon is moving. 225.273. 225.776 was his first lap on his first run. Would have expected a jump up, not down. Lap two is 225.345. Lap three is 225.484 and lap four is 225.425. Average is 225.382, P2 so far.

--4:44 Alex Tagliani's turn. 226.381 lap one. 226.756 lap two. Very nice. 226.059 for lap three. 225.838 lap four, for an average of 226.258. P2.

--4:48 It's Will Power time. 226.279 lap one. 226.392 lap two. 226.526 for lap three and 226.462 lap four. 226.415 average. P2.

--4:53 Dario Franchitti will take his shot at Castroneves. 226.602 lap one. Not enough for pole, but good enough for the front row. 226.668 lap two. 226.713 lap three and 226.771 lap four. 226.688 average. P2.

--4:57 Green flag for Rahal. 225.626, 225.631, 225.460 and 225.359 for an average of 225.519. P5.

--5:01 Ryan Briscoe up next. Can he displace Will Power? 226.621 lap one. He's faster. 226.797 lap two. 226.519 lap three. 226.278 lap four. 226.554. P3. Helio, Dario and Briscoe front row at the moment.

--5:05 It's Ed Carpenter's shot. He's the final driver from the top-9 to make his first attempt. After this, all will be eligible to make a second pole run. 224.427 lap one. 224.599 lap two, 224. 594 lap three and 224.408 lap four. 224.507 average, 8th.

--5:10 Mutoh is back out for a second attempt. 224.493 lap one. 224.502 second lap and a big lift into turn 1. He'll stick with his first top-9 qualifying run. P9.

--5:13 Tagliani at it again. 226.365 lap one, slightly better than his first top-9 lap one run. 226.628 lap two. 226.341 lap three and 226.226, 226.390 average keeps him in P6.

--5:20 Dario posts a 226.899 lap one and 227.027 lap two. First big cheer from the crowd since Helio's 228. 226.971 lap three and 227.065 lap four. 226.990 average -- stays P2.

--5:23 Will Power is after Helio and the front row again. 227.382! 227.597. 227.650. For the Team Penske oval understudy, he's doing more than anyone expected of him. 227.682. 227.578 average for Power. P2.

--5:28 Dixon is winding up. 225.275. Almost identical to his first top-9 run. 225.588 lap two. No magic for the Iceman. 225.862 lap three and 225.891 lap four. Average of 225.654, P6.

--5:35 Briscoe taking his crack at the front row. No dice. 225.914 lap one. 225.882 lap two, 225.844 lap three and 225.678 on lap four. 226.554 average. P4.

--5:39 Will Power starts his third top-9 run. 227.334 lap one. Slightly slower. 227.415. Slower again. 227.536 lap three. Slower once more. 227.434 lap four. 227.578 average, P2 again.

--5:44 226.586 first lap for Tagliani. 226.356 lap two. 225.991 lap three. 226.040 lap four. 226.390 average. P5.

--5:48 another try for Hideki Mutoh. 225.290 first lap. 224.664 lap two and 224.112 lap three. Still P9.

--5:53 It's bragging rights time for Helio Castroneves as he heads out to try and better his speed. 227.390 lap one. 227. 535 lap two. 227.646 lap three. Waves off the run. Keep in mind in the new top9 rules, a driver does not forfeit their position if they made additional runs. Helio's pole still stands.

--5:56 Scott Dixon trying once more. 226.124 lap one. 226.317 lap two. Inching closer to P5. 226.269 lap three. 226.224 lap four. 226.223 average. Stays P6.

--5:59 Dario Franchitti will have the last shot at Helio. He'll need almost a 1.5 mph to draw even with HCN. Lap number one is a 226.525. 226.559 lap two. Franchitti waves the run off and pits.

--6:02 Helio Castroneves is your polesitter for the 2010 Indy 500, his second consecutive Indy pole.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

TK makes 500 grid in hectic Bump Day action..............

Post by mlittle » Wed May 26, 2010 7:28 am

----Andretti Autosports' Tony Kanaan found new life when his crew borrowed parts from teammate Ryan Hunter-Reay's already qualified No. 37 car and repaired the Indy veteran's No. 11T backup car sufficiently to allow him to get into the Indianapolis 500. Kanaan struck the SAFER barrier at the south end of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway with the same car in the early Sunday morning practice prior to Bump Day qualifications. The 2004 IndyCar Series champion destroyed his primary care during a qualification attempt on Saturday at roughly the same location on the raceway. Kanaan's four-lap average speed of 224.072 mph in the final hour before the 6:00 PM EDT close of the Speedway's qualifying attempts was good enough to put him on the middle of row eleven, in the 32nd of the allotted 33 spots on the grid.

"It was very stressful," offered a relieved Kanaan. "We definitely did something wrong to deserve all this trouble. I guess I will enjoy the last row party and have some fun, get some money, then go get some more."

Sarah Fisher drove her own No. 67 car into the Indianapolis 500 on the strength of a 224.434 mph four-lap average, giving the fledgling team a place on-track for the race. Fisher becomes the fastest of four women qualifiers for the 94th Indianapolis 500. Teammate Jay Howard qualified for the race on Saturday, then again on Sunday, only to be bumped out of the field in the final hour. "I never thought this would happen," said a dejected Howard. "The car did not feel good in that last run, but I was confident we could do a good time. I wasn't going to let someone take it away from me, but it is what it is."

Sebastian Saavedra spun the Bryan Herta Autosport machine in Turn 1 and struck the wall while "on the bubble" at 4:50 PM. The car could not be repaired in time for Saavedra to defend his 223.634 mph mark. In a twist of fate that included being bumped three times in the last hour, by drivers who subsequently withdrew their times in attempts to better their speed, Saavedra survived to make the last spot on the starting grid.

A monstrous gaffe by KV Racing Technology left a popular Canadian driver on the outside looking in. Paul Tracy withdrew a qualifying average speed of 223.892 mph which would have been good enough for the last spot in the field in the last quarter-hour of the day, only to find insufficient speed to make his way back into the race. "It's heartbreaking," said Tracy. "The frustrating thing is the car was quick, but when the heat came we just lost all the speed and the handling went out of it. We just couldn't get the balance right when we needed it."

Takumo Sato of Lotus/KV Racing Technology was re-evaluated at Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis on Sunday morning before being cleared to drive at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Sato worked his way to the inside position on the eleventh row on a speed of 224.178 mph.

Bruno Junqueira found a sponsor to put him in the cockpit of the No. 33 FAZZT Racing on Sunday, just in time to post a 225.662 mph speed, fastest on the day and good enough to claim the 25th spot on the grid at the inside of the ninth row. The team had already filed an entry for him prior to Opening Day for the May 30 Indy 500 race date.

John Andretti in the Richard Petty/Andretti Autosports No. 43 machine was first out onto the 2.5-mile oval today, putting in a four-lap qualification attempt at 224.518 mph to enter the field. He will start from the inside position of the tenth row in 28th.

A.J. Foyt IV exited the A.J. Foyt Enterprises No. 41 cockpit and headed home but the team did not give up and Indy veteran Jacques Lazier was in the right place at the right time to replace him. Lazier was unable to make a mark in the No. 41 car fast enough to make the 33-car field. Crowd-pleaser Milka Duno in the second Dale Coyne Racing machine also failed to reach qualifying speed.

Sunshine and warm temperatures kept speeds in general lower on Sunday as downforce and horsepower suffered from the heat. At 4:00 PM the ambient temperature at Indianapolis Motor Speedway was recorded by Firestone engineers at 92 degrees Fahrenheit, with a track temperature of 124 degrees Fahrenheit.

Those who made it onto the Indy 500 grid will travel to New York City for a photo shoot on Monday putting the Brickyard dark for on-track activity until Thursday, when the Indy Lights Series drivers will practice and qualify for the Carb Day Freedom 100 scheduled for May 28. Wednesday is Community Day, the one day a year that fans can travel the historic oval in their personal vehicles and tour normally limited-access areas of IMS such as timing & scoring, the garages and the luxury suites that overlook the pits along the main straightaway.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Wed May 26, 2010 7:31 am

Starting Grid, 94th Indianapolis 500

1. 3 Helio Castroneves Team Penske 227.970
2. 12 Will Power Team Penske 227.578
3. 10 Dario Franchitti Chip Ganassi Racing 226.990

4. 6 Ryan Briscoe Team Penske 226.554
5. 77 Alex Tagliani FAZZT Race Team 226.390
6. 9 Scott Dixon Chip Ganassi Racing 226.233

7. 30 Graham Rahal Rahal Letterman Racing 225.519
8. 20 Ed Carpenter Panther/Vision Racing 224.507
9. 06 Hideki Mutoh Newman/Haas Racing 223.487

10. 99 Townsend Bell CGR/Sam Schmidt Motorsports 225.097
11. 22 Justin Wilson Dreyer & Reinbold Racing 225.050
12. 2 Raphael Matos de Ferran Dragon Racing 225.028

13. 32 Mario Moraes KV Racing Technology 224.888
14. 21 Davey Hamilton de Ferran Dragon Racing 224.852
15. 24 Mike Conway Dreyer & Reinbold Racing 224.583

16. 26 Marco Andretti Andretti Autosport 224.575
17. 37 Ryan Hunter-Reay Andretti Autosport 224.547
18. 4 Dan Wheldon Panther Racing 224.464

19. 8 E.J. Viso KV Racing Technology 224.380
20. 23 Tomas Scheckter Dreyer & Reinbold Racing 224.261
21. 25 Ana Beatriz* Dreyer & Reinbold Racing 224.243

22. 78 Simona De Silvestro* Stargate/HVM Racing 224.228
23. 7 Danica Patrick Andretti Autosport 224.217
24. 36 Bertrand Baguette* Conquest Racing 224.189

25. 33 Bruno Junqueira FAZZT Race Team 224.662
26. 19 Alex Lloyd Dale Coyne Racing 224.780
27. 34 Mario Romancini* Conquest Racing 224.640

28. 43 John Andretti R.Petty/Andretti Autosport 224.520
29. 67 Sarah Fisher Sarah Fisher Racing 224.430
30. 14 Vitor Meira A.J. Foyt Racing 224.390

31. 5 Takuma Sato* KV Racing Technology 224.180
32. 11 Tony Kanaan Andretti Autosport 224.070
33. 29 Sebastian Saavedra* Bryan Herta Autosport 223.630

* Indy 500 rookie
note................positions 1-9 set in the Firestone Pole Shootout, all other positions were set during qualifying on Saturday and Sunday

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Romancini Honored as 'Fastest 500 Rookie'

Post by mlittle » Wed May 26, 2010 7:33 am

-----Mario Romancini hopes his four-lap qualifying speed translates into a full 500 miles on May 30. Romancini, the driver of the No. 34 Conquest Racing car, qualified 27st in the 33-car Indianapolis 500 field, with a four-lap average speed of 224.641. His effort earned him $5,000 and the Fastest Rookie of the Year award from the American Dairy Association of Indiana.

“It was my first Bump Day and I hope it was my last one,” said Romancini, who gambled by withdrawing a qualified and re-qualified on Bump Day. “There was a lot of tension going on; it’s very difficult, and a lot of pressure. But we made a quick decision to go out to the track again, and it paid off for us. In the end we were able to put in four solid laps, and here we are.”

Romancini is thrilled to be driving in the 500 and honored to be named the fastest rookie of the month, but he is focused on his next task: driving in the 2010 Indianapolis 500.

“It’s a long race and I think the most important thing is we have a fast car, not only for one lap but also for the entire race,” he said. “I had a good experience here with the (Firestone) Indy Lights when I started 18th but finished third, so hopefully, I will be able to use some of the experience that I got there and put it into good use here at the 500.”

Five other rookies were honored at the 36th Annual Fastest Rookie of the Year Awards Luncheon, which was held inside the Indianapolis Motor Speedway for the first time. Ana Beatriz who qualifed in the 21st position, the highest female qualifier; Simona de Silvestro who is one spot behind in 22nd. Bertrand Baguette in 24th, Takuma Sato qualified for the 31st spot, and after much drama, Sebastian Saavedra qualified for the 33rd spot in the 33-car field of the 94th running of the Indianapolis 500.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Community Day News & Notes

Post by mlittle » Thu May 27, 2010 7:19 am

----Overtake Assist Parameters Set for 500
Indianapolis 500 pole sitter Helio Castroneves knows that the Honda overtake assist will play a factor in the outcome of the race May 30. He just doesn’t know how yet. The system, which was introduced at Kentucky Speedway last August, provides a 200 RMP and extra power (5-20 horsepower) boost for a prescribed time limit on all racetracks via a button on the steering wheel designed to complete a pass or defend one.

For the 500 Mile Race,Honda Performance Development has set the duration at 18 seconds for each of the 15 activations. There’s a 10-second reset time between activations.

“You’ll want to wait for the right time to use it, and it will play a lot into the strategy because it will be hard to decide when to use it,” said Castroneves, seeking to become the fourth four-time Indy 500 winner. “If there’s a yellow flag with 10 laps to go and you don’t have enough push to pass compared to some of your closest rivals, you might be in big trouble. It’s going to be very interesting for the spectators, which is great. The biggest race in the world is being made even more exciting.”

The Honda overtake assist is one element new to the ‘500’ this year. About 15 pounds of drag was removed by repositioning the rain light on the IZOD IndyCar Series cars along with other aerodynamic alterations that create less turbulent air for a car following another. “When you have such long straightaways, I do feel it's going to affect the racing quite a lot,” Castroneves said.

Drivers will receive a preview of the power boost during the 60-minute practice on the May 28 Miller Lite Carb Day at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

----450 races strong for Newman-Haas Racing
John Tzouanakis experienced the thrill of winning the Indianapolis 500 in 1980 as a 20-year-old mechanic and race day refueler with the Chapparal Team and driver Johnny Rutherford. Two years later, he joined the newly formed Newman/Haas Racing team as a mechanic for the car driven by 1969 Indy 500 winner Mario Andretti.

“TZ” has been with the Illinois-based organization founded by Paul Newman and Carl Haas ever since, moving through a variety of duties and responsibilities to team manager. He’s had opportunities to move on but not necessarily the desire.

“It was a small team back then and a bit of a struggle getting up to speed,” says Tzouanakis, who’s worked with drivers Christian Fittipaldi, Bruno Junqueira, Graham Rahal and this year Hideki Mutoh among others. “Up until ’89 we were a single-car team until they brought Michael (Andretti) in. The team grew, we had success and it was very pleasing to everybody. I have enjoyed working for Carl and Bernie (Haas). They treat everyone like family and I found a home here.”

It’s people who make a cohesive unit that, paired with the talent and machinery, leads to success in motorsports. The Indianapolis 500 on May 30 will be the 450th Indy car race for Newman/Haas Racing, which includes participation in CART, Champ Car, Indy Racing League-sanctioned Indy 500s and the IZOD IndyCar Series. The team will have entered 798 cars in those events, and to date has 107 victories (27 on ovals) and 109 pole positions (19 on ovals).

Mutoh, starting ninth in the No. 06 Formula Dream/Panasonic entry, would be pleased to give Newman/Haas Racing its first 500 Mile Race win. The team has prepared 28 entries during its history, with the highest finish of second by Mario Andretti (1987, started from pole) and Michael Andretti (1991).

“Four-hundred and fifty races seems like a lifetime; a lifetime of memories,” co-founder Carl Haas says. “I think that beyond the thrill and excitement of victories and championships -- and don't get me wrong, winning for the 108th time is just as exciting as the first time -- but it is the people that have been associated with Newman/Haas Racing over these 28 years that create the fondest memories.

“The fabulous race car drivers whose talents we were able to harness, the engineers that started with us and blossomed into the best in the business, the race mechanics and support people that worked tirelessly to maximize our success, I'm proud to say that they are my friends and my memories.

"I look forward to enjoying the continuing legacy of Newman/Haas Racing. My only regret is that Paul is not here to share it with me.” Newman, the Academy Award-winning actor/producer and sports car racer, died in September 2008.

“A number of our people have been here a long time, and the reason I think the people stay here so long is really the leadership of Carl and Bernie Haas,” said general manager Brian Liles, who’s been with the organization since 1989. “They’re racers. They understand the business and what people want and need to have a successful race team.

“We’ve had our ups and downs over the years, but there’s never any doubt about their dedication and their desire always to make it better. For many people, that matches the reason they go racing, too. Twenty-plus years packed with all sorts of memories, and very few memories I want to forget.” For a list of team highlights and accomplishments, go to www.newman-haas.com

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Looking At ABC & ESPN's 500 Coverage..............

Post by mlittle » Sun May 30, 2010 1:12 pm

Imagine a giant organism, spanning a vast outdoor space large enough to accommodate thirteen Rose Bowls, teeming with people and run amuck with ear-splitting noise guided along by 59 camera "eyes" and (just like you and me) twice that number of microphonic "ears"; and served by triplicated and quadruplicated arteries and veins of sinewy black cable miles in length, and you will appreciate in some rough measure the complex high-tech architecture that brings the Indianapolis 500 alive on the television screen in your living room or den.

ABC and ESPN team to bring race fans around the world the 2010 Indianapolis 500, for the conjoined networks a record 46th consecutive time. "This is always a dream," says Neil Goldberg, the man who runs the show from one of several trackside mobile studios that process audio, video and radio frequency signals to create the spectacular live images and sounds you see and hear at home on Memorial Day. As Senior Motorsports Producer, Goldberg and his Emmy nominated crew produce 17 NASCAR Sprint Cup events and 35 Nationwide series races in addition to the annual 500-mile race at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. On May 30 for the 94th Indianapolis 500, they are putting the signal into the air for over 252 million viewers in the U.S. and abroad, to homes and ships at sea, ultimately reaching 213 countries and territories around the globe.

The "sensors" the television team has placed around the 2.5 mile oval track run the gamut from heavy manually-operated studio cameras to robotic cameras on arms and mounted on a long cable sling that runs along the 5/8 mile main straightaway at Indy, over and above crowd and pit boxes during the racing; to in-car cameras, hand-held mini-cams and even a new and uniquely-positioned camera aboard participant racing crew members' headgear, called "helmet-cams". There are also new eye-level in-the-face cameras looking directly into the helmet face shield of Graham Rahal, Tony Kanaan and Danica Patrick as they compete on the track on Sunday.

"It is a significant commitment," says Rich Feinberg, ESPN Vice President of Event and Studio Production, of the massive mobile television complex that lies within the Indy infield, "but the Indy 500 deserves that. In terms of facilities, effort and story telling this is a huge undertaking. This Speedway is a larger facility than any football stadium. How big? How fast? A car can travel the distance of a football field in less than a second here."

The Indianapolis 500 creates momentous opportunity for the broadcasters. Last year's production garnered an Emmy nomination, and even though the program was edged out of the award, it rewarded Feinberg and his crew with exceptional impact and privilege. "There are more people watching this race than any other race. A large percentage of those people are one-time viewers, the casual fans, who have a thirst and curiosity we must satisfy on this one day of the year. It's our obligation to tell the 33 stories here in the most compelling way possible."

The physical assets at Feinberg's disposal cover an area of crushed gravel real estate nearly as big as a city block. Within large mobile-home sized trailers that number into the teens are facilities for people, equipment, offices, studios, and high-tech systems that process the video, audio and radio frequency signals collected from all around the 2.5 mile oval race course.

The portable metal steps up to the video trailer lead to a single "On-Air Crew Only" door that opens into a control room dominated by a long wall of television monitors, each one about the size of a postcard, that give Senior Coordinating Producer Jill Fredrickson a look at a glance of the activity from every aspect of view around Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Inside the narrow mobile-home size trailer, it is dark, and it is cold in deference to the two massive rows of electronics at workstations along the length of the space. Each small monitor on the long wall ahead is numbered, or given an alphabetical designation, to facilitate quick transitions from camera to camera. A massive soundboard for audio mixing occupies a full third of one row of controls. A producer and a director are in charge from the second of the rows as they scan the colorful, flickering screens.

Inside other trailers alongside the video trailer are crews monitoring and processing into surround-channel mixes the audio signals from two microphones assigned each of the 59 cameras, arrayed in a fashion fore and aft of the lens to catch the "Doppler shift" whine of racing engines as they approach and depart. Sixteen ancillary microphones placed at various points of the pit lane and around the track feed into the system as well, in effect creating a "bugged room" of scope and scale that would make the Central Intelligence Agency blush.

Another white trailer sends and receives global positioning satellite information, providing the information that allows a small pointer to follow on the home screen each car as it moves over the racing surface. More trailers pick up telemetry information and in-car camera signals sent from each car then route them to the central video production boards.

Radio replay lies within a cramped space at the butt end of a solitary trailer apart from the others. From within the tiny studio radio mixer Bill Fuchs and his editor Jeff Bratta listen as drivers and teams communicate over radio frequency channels that sometimes overlap one another. It is their job to craft the earthy language of men and women conducting themselves at speeds over 200 miles per hour into sound bites suitable for ears of all ages. Along the bottom of Fuchs' large mixing board are numbers and names that identify who is connected to the other end of the radio frequency he is monitoring.

Fuchs and Bratta drop their overheard conversations into the television broadcast twenty to thirty times during the 4-plus hour telecast of the Indy 500. "I'm always listening," says Fuchs, "asking myself 'Where's good radio?' we can put over the air waves." The skill lies in the knack of waiting for just the right moment in time to augment with a sound bite the natural flow of the conversation of three on-air announcers (Marty Reid, Scott Goodyear and Eddie Cheever) as they speak to the audience. Oftentimes the job demands ending a sentence short, or "dumping the audio", in the tiny one and a half second time delay interposed between the live feed and the actual broadcast.

The live action at Indianapolis requires a different approach to the broadcast of the race than might follow in other sporting events. There is literally no way to script the show as it unfolds, full of twists and turns at unexpected times. The storyboard from the green flag forward is a blank sheet of paper for the entire team from grip to host left to write spontaneously throughout the race day. Weather constitutes a huge challenge. Rain showers concluded the race in 2004 and again in 2007. Luck comes into play. The Ganassi Racing team looked like sure winners here in 2009 before a pit stop snafu moved eventual race winner and rival Helio Castroneves of Team Penske to the front. Circumstances intervene. Dan Wheldon led the race in 2006 for 148 of its 200 laps before a cut tire with 40 miles to go ended his attempt to claim a second victory here. "The racing gods have an amazing sense of humor," adds color analyst Cheever who won here in 1998. "Some days it's just a question of how all the cards fall."

The goals of the TV crew go beyond simple ratings and share calculations. "There's much more to this than a ratings bonanza," says Feinberg. "In terms of marketing, in terms of sponsorship, in terms of time spent watching by individual viewers the event transcends simple arithmetic. We strive to make the production compelling to the audience, interesting in terms of the story, and technically superior to anything else they will see. We want people to watch longer as a result. There are so many other influences that bear on our viewership, such as other events in their area at the same time and even the weather outside on the day of the race. All of these things impact on who watches and for how long. It is one of the great unknowns in our business."

Coverage on ABC begins on Sunday at Noon EDT. The race is one of five events hosted by the IndyCar Series that the network will carry this season. Appearances on ESPN's all-encompassing Sports Center programs and its radio outlets have aired in the last week and will continue before and after the conclusion of the Indianapolis 500, including the network's international and foreign language media platforms.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

The Scotsman Fastest on Carb Day...................

Post by mlittle » Sun May 30, 2010 1:15 pm

(from FR, 28 May 2010)

Franchitti finally topped the time sheets, doing so in the final on track session before Sunday's race..........

----Heading into the Month of May at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, odds were long that both Conquest Racing rookie drivers, Mario Romancini and Bertrand Baguette, would crack the 33-car starting lineup for the Indianapolis 500. Experience – competing against Indy-tested veterans and quickly learning the vagaries of the racetrack -- was one obstacle. Baguette would attempt to compete in his second IZOD IndyCar Series oval event and Romancini, a two-time oval race winner in Firestone

Indy Lights last year, was in a similar situation. They both qualified in the closest Indianapolis 500 field by time (3.0662 seconds) was the first step. Running multiple laps for the first time with the full field during the final practice on Miller Lite Carb Day without incident was the second step. The next – and biggest -- step is results-oriented May 30.

Romancini had a best lap of 222.021 mph and Baguette 221.990 mph during the 60-minute practice session, which put them in the second tier of the speed chart. The 33 drivers totaled 1,254 laps without incident – much to the relief of teams and Indy Racing League president of competition and racing operations Brian Barnhart. "Now it’s just the Indy 500, look at the sky, look at the weather and make the right decisions," said A.J. Foyt Racing's Vitor Meira, who will start 30th in the No. 14 ABC Supply car.

Dario Franchitti, who will start on the outside of the front row, topped the speed chart with a lap of 225.574 mph (39.8963 seconds) on the 2.5-mile oval. Target Chip Ganassi Racing teammate Scott Dixon (225.159) was second and Will Power, who will start second in the No. 12 Verizon Team Penske car, was third (224.993).

Bruno Junqueira, who didn’t get on the track until Bump Day in the No. 33 FAZZT Race Team entry, was fourth quick (224.898). Pole sitter Helio Castroneves, seeking his fourth 500 Mile Race victory, was fifth on the chart (224.753). "Forty-three, I think I'm getting the groove of it now," Junqueira said.

That Romancini and Baguette weren’t near the top – during the final practice or their four-lap qualifying runs earlier in the week – hasn’t been the focus during their hectic two-week trial. Conquest Racing is the only IZOD IndyCar Series team with two rookies in its driver lineup, but that’s not anything new. The Indianapolis-based team has four Indy 500 starts with rookies (Laurent Redon, who won the 2002 Rookie of the Year title, Enrique Bernoldi and Jaime Camara in 2008, and Alex Tagliani, who earned the 2009 Chase Rookie of the Year award).

“We’ve worked so much with rookie drivers ever since the team was founded that it's sort of become second nature for us," team owner Eric Bachelart said. "We surround them with an experienced team from engineers to mechanics, but still, believe me, it's not always easy, especially coming into oval races. It's an environment that some of the rookie drivers we’ve had had never experienced. But they've all come out doing a good job and that brings us a lot of satisfaction. It's something we take pride in.

"Having both of our cars in this year's race has an even bigger significance to us because the level of competition is so high. Bertrand and Mario have done a great job so far. Making the field was one thing but being ahead of experienced Indy drivers like Tony Kanaan and Vitor Meira, adds to the satisfaction."

Romancini (224.641 mph average qualifying speed) earned the 36th American Dairy Association of Indiana Fastest Rookie of the Year award. “We had a chance to work on the race setup a bit,” he said. “We still have some things to improve on the car before Sunday, but today we were in the mid-field, which shows that we can be competitive during the race.”

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Drivers' Meeting Notes...............

Post by mlittle » Sun May 30, 2010 1:17 pm

Drivers participating in the 2010 Indianapolis 500 received final instructions and awards May 29 in the Public Drivers' Meeting at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. "The Greatest Spectacle in Racing" is scheduled to start at 1 p.m. (ET) Sunday, May 30. The race will be broadcast live on ABC and the IMS Radio Network beginning at noon.

2009 Indianapolis 500 winner Helio Castroneves and Team Penske owner Roger Penske accepted a "Baby Borg" trophy from Roger Wood, executive vice president of BorgWarner. Castroneves also was presented with a $130,000 check from BorgWarner for his victory last year. The Baby Borg is a miniature replica of the famed Borg-Warner Trophy, which bears the bas-relief likeness, name and average speed of every Indianapolis 500 winner. Gary Garfield, chief executive officer of Bridgestone Americas Tire Operations, presented the 2009 Indianapolis 500 winning car owners' rings, made by Herff Jones, to Roger Penske and Tim Cindric.

In addition, Castroneves was presented with the Louis Meyer Award commemorating his 2009 victory, sponsored by the American Dairy Association. Louis Meyer began the tradition of drinking milk in victory lane in 1936 when he drank buttermilk after his victory. Deb Osza, general manager of Milk Promotion Services of Indiana, presented Castroneves with the award. Al Speyer, executive director of Firestone Racing, presented J.R. Hildebrand with his Herff Jones championship ring for winning the 2009 Firestone Indy Lights series title.

Garfield returned to the podium and presented Firestone Indy Lights driver Wade Cunningham with his Herff Jones ring for winning the 2009 Firestone Freedom 100. Garfield also presented a Herff Jones ring to Dario Franchitti for winning the 2009 IZOD IndyCar Series title. Continuing its longstanding tradition with the Indianapolis 500, Ken Keltner of Herff Jones presented each of the 33 starters of this year's race with their starter rings. Keltner also presented "Good Morning America" anchor Robin Roberts with a Herff Jones ring for serving as the driver of the 2010 Indianapolis 500 Pace Car.

Making his 65th Indianapolis 500 appearance, Indianapolis 500-winning car owner Andy Granatelli presented Michael Andretti with the STP Unsung Hero Award.

Andretti, whose family has a long history with the Indianapolis 500, has led 431 laps at the Speedway, the most of any non-winning driver. The jovial Granatelli couldn't resist poking fun at Andretti during the presentation. "This man should have won this race a few times," Granatelli said. "Nonetheless, I'm proud to present this award to Michael Andretti for being the unsung hero for not winning this race."

Brian Barnhart, president of competition and racing operations for the Indy Racing League, concluded the drivers' meeting by discussing race rules and guidelines with the drivers.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

60 Facts About the Indy 500

Post by mlittle » Sun May 30, 2010 2:21 pm

You can learn a lot by reading through the Indianapolis 500 Official Media Guide. Here are 50 facts ahead of the Indy 500 being run Sunday, pulled from the 2010 guide.

1) Al Unser Sr. is the oldest driver to win the Indy 500 in 1987 at 47 years, 360 days old. Troy Ruttman was the youngest winner, in 1952, at 22 years, 80 days old.

2) The only back-to-back rookie winners of the Indy 500 came with Juan Pablo Montoya in 2000 and Helio Castroneves in 2001.

3) Mercedes owns the record for the longest period between an engine manufacturer's wins at the Indy 500, 79 years, between their triumphs in 1915 and 1994.

4) Driver Vitor Meira, who starts 30th, owns a dog named "Quattro." In a bout of irony, his teammate this month, A.J. Foyt IV, whose nickname is "Quattro," drove like a dog before quitting the team.

5) The driver in the 2010 Indy 500 who has led the most laps is Dan Wheldon, with 234. Helio Castroneves is directly behind him with 228. That order will likely be reversed by the end of the race.

6) Tony Kanaan has led 214 laps, the most of all active drivers without a win.

7) the largest margin of victory in Indy 500 history belongs to Joules Goux, who finished 13 minutes ahead of Spencer Wishart in 1913.

8] Harry Hartz holds the record for most runner-up finishes without a win (1922-23, 1926).

9) Michael Andretti set the fastest race lap in 1992 at 229.118 mph. Driving for Michael Andretti, Tonk Kanaan set the fastest lap in 2003 at 229.188, just .070 faster.

10) The total purse for the inaugural Indy 500 in 1911 was $27,550. In 2009, the total purse was $14,315,315, or 520 times greater.

11) The total purse paid out for the Indy 500 is $243,441,847. The Toyota F1 team was rumored to spend more than twice this amount annually before their demise at the end of the 2009 season.

12) The fewest starters for the Indy 500 came in 1916 when 21 cars took the green flag.

13) The most starters for a single race came in 1933 with 42 cars.

14) Al Unser Sr. has the best finishing record at the Indy 500, reaching the checkered flag 18 times.

15) If Townsend Bell's No. 99 Herbalife IndyCar wins on Sunday, it will be the first time since 1951 that the No. 99 has reached victory circle.

16) A.J. Foyt drove a combined 12,272.5 out of a possible 17,500 miles around the 2.5-mile Speedway during a career that spanned 35 Indy 500 races.

17) Foyt also hold the record for leading the most Indy 500s with 13. Amongst active drivers, Tony Kanaan leads with 7.

18] Amongst rookie Indy 500 drivers, Teo Fabi had the worst start-to-finish record, falling from first to 26th in 1983. Tony Stewart is second, falling from first to 24th in 1996.

19) The hottest race day temperature for the Indy 500 was 92 degrees F in 1937. The coldest was 58 degrees F in 1992.

20) Rick Mears hold the record for most pole positions with six (1979, 1982, 1986, 1988-89, 1991).

21) Mears also holds the record for setting four-lap track records in qualifying with five ((1979, 1982, 1986, 1988-89).

22) Helio Castroneves leads active drivers with four poles (2003, 2007, 2009-10).

23) Former ChampCar chief steward Chris Kneifel was the slowest qualifier in the 1983 field at 199.831 mph.

24) Team Penske's Ryan Briscoe admits to driving a SmartCar.

25) Chip Ganassi started 11th for his first Indy 500 in 1982, finishing 15th after an engine failure in his Wildcat-Cosworth.

26) Dr. Jack Miller, the "Racing Dentist," started three Indy 500s, with his best qualifying performance of 15th coming in 1998, and his best finish of 20th coming in 1997.

27) Wade Cunningham has won the Freedom 100 Indy Lights race on three occasions (2006, 2009-10) yet has never made an IndyCar Series start.

28] Paul Tracy, who drove for Jimmy Vasser in 2009 and attempted to drive for Vasser in 2010, was an Indy 500 rookie in 1992 along with Vasser.

29) The most recent rookie class to have no starters in the 2010 Indy 500 comes from 2007 (Milka Duno, Phil Geibler).

30) The 2010 Indy 500 celebrates the 20th anniversary of the fastest average winning speed, set by Arie Luyendyk at 185.981 mph in 1990.

31) The worst finishing record came at the 1966 Indy 500 where just seven cars made it to the checkered flag.

32) The longest span between his first and last victory belongs to Al Unser Sr. at 17 years (1970-1987).

33) 1939 and 1979 hold the distinction of having the fewest rookies in the field -- just one.

34) The most cars entered for the Indy 500 came in 1984 with 117 cars.

35) 2010 Indy 500 entrant Bryan Herta is tied for 163rd on the list of all-time lap leaders with three. 2010 Indy 500 starters Davey Hamilton, Ed Carpenter and Mario Moraes are also tied with Herta, having led three laps apiece.

36) The Offenhauser engine holds the record for the most Indy 500 wins with 27.

37) Eight-cylinder engines have won the most number of Indy 500s with 54.

38] Four-cylinder engines are second on the list with 37, with the last win coming in 1976, thanks to Johnny Rutherford.

39) Six-cylinder engines have just two wins, and last tasted victory in 1946 with George Robson.

40) Arkansas can claim only one Indy 500 winner, Parnelli Jones, who was born in Texarkana.

41) The traditional "Back Home Again in Indiana" song was first played at the Indy 500 in 1919.

42) Emerson Fittipaldi was the first driver to win more than $1M at the Indy 500, taking home $1,001,604 in 1989.

43) Amongst active drivers, only Justin Wilson and Takuma Sato will have raced in the US Grand Prix at Indianapolis and the Indy 500 when Taku takes the green flag on Sunday.

44) The banking in Indy's four turns is the same angle -- nine degrees, 12 minutes -- as it was when the track first opened in 1909.

45) The Borg-Warner trophy weighs 110 pounds.

46) Tomas Scheckter's favorite movie is "Scarface." I would have predicted "Pretty Woman."

47) More than 16,000 gallons of Coca-Cola was served during the 2009 Indy 500.

48] You can buy shish-kebab and fried rice in six different locations within the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

50) Rick Mears, Helio Castroneves and Scott Dixon all won their first Indy 500 at the age of 27.

51) Brazil has the most Indy 500 wins amongst foreign countries with five.

52) Kansas is the most successful state when it comes to winning the Indy 500 with the fewest numbers of drivers. Roger Ward, Johnny Rutherford and Rick Mears combined for nine victories.

53) The oldest Indy 500 Rookie of the Year was Lyn St. James in 1992 at the age of 45 years, 72 days.

54) The youngest Indy 500 Rookie of the Years was Josele Garza at 19 years, 70 days in 1981.

55) Marco Andretti was just six days older than Garza -- 19 years, 76 days -- when he was named the 2006 Indy 500 rookie of the Year.

56) Only two Japanese drivers have earned Rookie of the Year honors, and they did it back-to-back (Tora Takagi in 2001 and Kosuke Matsuura in 2002).

57) 1996 Indy 500 winner buddy rice was bumped from the field in 2009 by Milka Duno.

58] 2010 starter Mario Romancini completed one year of law school before leaving to pursue a career in auto racing.

59) The fastest woman in the 2010 field, Brazil's Ana Beatriz, goes by the nickname "Bia." Her full name is Ana Beatriz Caselato Gomes de Figueiredo. We'll stick with "Bia."

60) Bertrand Baguette, the rookie driver who hails from Belgium, says his favorite show is a Belgian comedy titled "Dikkenek." (Cue Beavis & Butthead laugh).