Open Wheel Trivia IV--The Women of the Brickyard

All about Indy Racing League (IRL)

Moderators: Ed, mlittle

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Open Wheel Trivia IV--The Women of the Brickyard

Post by mlittle » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:23 pm

Now, I got the idea for this round of open-wheel trivia from a posting in the Formula 1 category, the TEAM PAIRINGS thread, after reading somebody's posting saying that they believed that there would be no women drivers in F1 in the forseeable future.(If I've mangled the quote from danilen1's posting there, I apologize in advance.)That side, it got me to thinking, how many women have competed at the famous Brickyard? Well, that question was previosuly answered in trivia III, so here's the answer to that question: Janet Guthrie, Lyn St. James, Sarah Fisher and Danica Patrick.

Here, then, are the 10 questions for open wheel trivia IV, appropriately titled, Women of the Brickyard. PM your answers to me by midnight U.S. EDT 13 September(04:00 UTC same date; 2:00 PM AEST 14 Sept.). Good luck...you'll need it!

1}Of the four women listed above, which one began her career racing sprint cars and Silver Crown sprints?

2}Which of the four currently holds the record for the fastest one-lap and four-lap qualifying averages at Indy?

3}Which one was the first to qualify for the Indy 500?

4}Which of the four is one of only two Americans to ever finish on the podium at the Formula Ford Festival in England?(Bonus pt.--Who was the other American?)

5}Which of the four raced competively in IMSA and Trans-Am before beginning Indy-style racing?

6}Which one of the four currently races in NASCAR's Winston West series?

7}Prior to this year's Indy 500, which woman had the highest finish in the Indy 500?

8}Which of the four currently has the record for most starts by a woman at the Indy 500?

9}Of the four, which two women have earned over $1,000,000 in career earnings at the Brickyard?

10}Which of the four women listed holds the current record for the most laps completed in a single running of the Indianpaolis 500?

PM your answers to me prior to the date/time listed above, and good luck!!

Oh, the current standings going into round 4 are as follows:
1}Lemon_Martini2 16.5 pts
2}JayVee 10.0 pts
3}Julian Mayo 9.0 pts
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:24 am

At least one person sent in answers...thanks, JayVee! :up:
Here are the answers to round 4, in all their glory.....

1}Before she began wheeling her way around Indy, Sarah Fisher was racing her way through the USAC Sprint and Silver Crown series'.

2}Sarah Fisher holds both the 1-lap and 4-lap qualifying averages at Indy(229.675 mph-1 lap, 229.439 mph-4 lap avg./both in 2002).

3}In 1977, Janet Guthrie was the first woman to qualify for the Indianapolis 500.

4}In 2000, Danica Patrick finished 2nd at the Formula Ford Festival, one of only 2 Americans to ever do so. Who was the other one? Danny Sullivan, in 1974, finished 3rd.

5}Prior to racing at Indy in 1992, Lyn St. James was well-regarded as an expert IMSA and Trans-Am racer, winning several Trans-Am races in the late 1980's.

6}After a 4+ yr. Indy career, Sarah Fisher now competes in NASCAR's Winston West series, and is expected to make her debut in either the Craftsman Truck Series or the NASCAR Busch Series by 2007.

7}Prior to this year's 500, Janet Guthrie held that honor, finishing 9th in 1978.

8}Lyn St. James; she started in 7 Indy 500's(1992-1997 and 2000).

9}Lyn St. James and Sarah Fisher.

10}By finishing on the lead lap in 4th place in this year's 500, Danica Patrick currently holds that record for most laps completed in a single 500.

And the winner is......JayVee(she was the only onto send in answers this round). :shock: :shock: How many answers did she get?All 10(plus the bonus to #4) for a total of 11 pts.

The standings after 4 rounds are as follows.....

1==JayVee 21.0 pts
2==Lemon_Martini2 13.5 pts.
3==Julian Mayo 9.0 pts.

I'll have round 5 up on the forum in a couple of days. Now, if we got just get more people to send in answers....
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

JayVee
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by JayVee » Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:24 pm

mlittle wrote: And the winner is......JayVee(she was the only onto send in answers this round). :shock: :shock: How many answers did she get?All 10(plus the bonus to #4) for a total of 11 pts.
:D :D
I'm back and yes supporting Alonso "The Cute" in the Ferrari!

lemon_martini2
The Quizmaster
The Quizmaster

Post by lemon_martini2 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:01 am

Apologies. My computer bit the dust and has been dead for the weekend.It only revived last night after the deadline :(
Lemon loves Danielle Porta?ner for ever x x x

A NEW TRIVIA QUIZ WILL BE ARRIVING WITHIN THE NEXT FEW DAYS...LEMON'S BACK!